“Get away from it all!”

Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
GreenLeadersGold level
“Get away from it all!”
Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

Hotel was beautiful! Pool, beach, bars, nightclubs, service, restaurants, room & scenery were great. Loved the swim up bars and the complimentary messages. Yoga on the beach was very relaxing. The daily entertainment by the staff was a lot of fun. The local animal life was also entertaining. Overall one of the best get aways ever.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Peggy N
IberostarMexico, QUALITY MANAGER at Iberostar Paraiso Beach, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you very much for taking the time to write your thoughts and for sharing such a positive comment about our Iberostar Paraiso Beach on Trip Advisor. We are pleased to hear that we could fulfill your expectations during your family holidays.

We are glad you enjoyed our Hotels surroundings, definitely one of our praised features. Thank you for your positive words about our animation staff as they will be motivated from reading such comments, for highlighting our room facilities and for praising the service, our cuisine in the restaurants.

We hope to get the chance to greet you upon you next future visit. Please, do not hesitate to contact us if you are planning to visit us again.

Iberostar Mexico

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (837)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed September 14, 2012

Close to the airport, beautiful grounds, good quality room, beautiful beach, tasty (very tasty!) food, nice shops, friendly people, good service in bard and buffets. This sums up our 10 days @ Iberostar Paraiso Beach, August 14th to August 24th 2012.
We traveled Montreal - Toronto - Cancun, the stops in Toronto were a lot easier then expected and saved us 1000$ (4 adults and a child). And somehow the trip seemed easier, longer but less sitting continuously in the same chair. Westjet, no food, snacks only, but very nice flight attendants and, of course, one can always buy the food, it's just not included in the price.
Very easy transfer airport - hotel, via Best Day (included in package), mini-buss, took us 20-30 minutes to get to the hotel, from the moment the mini-bus left the airport.
Check-in was on the long side, around 40 minutes, (cannot imagine it we'd arrived on a bus filled with guests!!!), it must be the whole filling in paper work, passports and names and so on, I don't know how that could be speed up, maybe to give people the keys and the papers and they could fill them in later, for instance, but the rooms were ready for us, even if it was before 3 PM.
We had building 41, right next to the lobby, 5 to 7 minutes to the beach, walking speed (10 to 15 if we stopped to watch all the birds and wild little animals) 1 minute to the restaurant and theater, 2 to the lobby. At first I wasn't that happy, I wanted a room closer to the beach, but it turned out good, we had breakfast and supper at the buffet, lunch at the little round restaurant next to the beach, or at the grill on the beach and actually rarely returned to the room before evening.
What I really liked was that the room did not smell at all, the balcony was spacious, as was the shower (our room had no tub, my son's did, they were right next to each other, 4125 and 26 if I'm not mistaken). I didn't really care about the small tv (I think they were changing them, I've seen lots of tv boxes in the storage room of building 40). The room itself was normal size, can get crowded when everybody is getting ready for supper, but that's my last concern when I'm in Mexico.
Being in this building was good also because the keys weren't working every now and then so we had to get to the lobby to recharge them (later on we figured it out: do not keep them with your phone or another gadget and there will be no issues).
The beach was big, large, beautiful. The water had lots of weeds, but that's nobody's fault (We met a family who had been there the previous year and kept saying how clean the water was in August 2011!) probably the storms (we arrived right after Hurricane Issac had passed south Cancun) but somehow because of the currents there was always a spot you could get in avoiding them. The water quickly gets quite deep right after you enter (and rocky in some areas - we swam over), but then as you walk into it it gets shallow again. I managed to swim every day, even if the sea was very wavy, but we, the whole family, love waves and jumping and playing in the sea, basically that's why we go South every year. And that's why I cannot say a lot about the pool, it's big and looks beautiful, there's a waterfall and a Jacuzzi in the middle of the resort, but we stayed on the beach.
The round restaurant between the beach and the pool had a little terrace where we use to have lunch (very good cappuccino there!). The only annoying thing was the fact that the coati were getting to close waiting for food, both on this terrace as next to the grill on the beach, but, again, it's the guests fault, it says everywhere not to feed them!)
Reading the reviews, I went there very worried about the food. And I mean VERY. And I was not only relieved, but extremely pleasantly surprised. Except the very spicy Mexican food, that my stomach does not tolerate, I loved, and I really mean this, everything I tasted. It felt like somebody was really cooking there, it felt like all the food was carefully prepared and presented. We didn't go to any a la carte, the buffet was THAT good! I liked the soups, the lamb, the pork, the morning omelet, the shrimps, the various ways the rice was cooked, the little Mexican corner, the cookies, the bonbons, the pastry, the red peppers filled with sea fruits, the enchiladas and I can go on and on. My husband (mostly vegetarian) had lots and lots of fruits, the kids went crazy over the deserts and the ice cream... As I was saying, we were 5 people, and we also had a family of friends there, and nobody complained once! A big THANK YOU to the chef, the food is one of the reasons we'll be back, it's so nice when you don't have to worry about eating the same as yesterday and the day before because nothing else really has a taste! (And yes, at the grill on the beach there's mainly hamburgers and hot dogs because that's what the place is. For any other grilled meat, there's the round restaurant right next to it!)
The entertainment was really good, those kids work crazy hard, the shows at night were nice also (didn't get to see much, the youngster kept taking us to the mall, to ride the carousel over and over again. We wold eat ice-cream and crepes (there's a little hidden shop on the left as you enter) and enjoy the free of worries live :)
Right next to it, we discovered the teen's disco, looks like a subway station, it's not "cool" anymore for nowadays teenagers, therefore it was empty, had music and air conditioned and made for a great jumping/playground for the youngsters of the group (3 years old).
What I missed there? Internet. Not as much for me as for my teenager son, who didn't really had much to do in the evening (except for the disco, kind of old fashioned as I was saying, didn't see anybody there for 8 days in a row between 9:30 and 11!, and 3 pool tables, there's nothing offered for teens - compared to other resorts who have a place called teens club -game room with ps3, tv, computers and the disco right next to that, small movie theater and so on). So at least the hotel could include in the package the internet, if not everywhere, at least in the lobby!
But, for sure, missing Internet will not stop me to go back to this hotel (but having it will make me just enjoy it more!).
Now I just want to say thank you to all my friends there, Maria in the buffet restaurant, she was so nice and help me a lot, I usually pack an extra luggage with clothes, shoes and toys my daughter doesn't use anymore and inquire in the restaurant who needs them, and Maria translated for me and then stopped by and chatted for a minute every time she'd see me), Joshua from the entertainment team, he was so funny!, Chris, same team, she was everywhere on the resort, the Clown, the maid, the chefs - I swear I knew their names while I was there, the guys at the beach bar and lobby bar... everybody, in the end, who worked together for us to have such a relaxing and enjoyable vacation!

6 Thank Simonna1970
IberostarMexico, QUALITY MANAGER at Iberostar Paraiso Beach, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Dear guest,

First of all I would like to thank you so much for writing such a nice review about your stay at the Iberostar Paraiso Beach, I am sure that it will help future guests to make their decision easier.

Let me emphasize that for us the best satisfaction is to read that one of our best asset is the kindness and attention of our staff since our team is constantly working to provide the best possible experience to our guests. Thank you for mentioning Maria the hostess, and Joshua and all the staff, they will be thrilled to read your comments. Our staff is our main strength and I am very grateful that you value it so highly. Thank you for mentioning our cuisine, the room, the beach and the great location of our hotel.

Your review will be an inspiration for us to keep on improving and to try to make all our guests as happy as you are.

Thank you again for your comments. Do not hesitate to contact us if you are planning to visit us again. We look forward to your return visits!

Kindest regards,

Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico.
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 13, 2012

Here's my honest review! We travel to the Caribbean once a year and have done so for the past 2 decades, we are in our 30s with two kids ages 4 and 6. Been to the Mayan 5-6 times, Cuba, St. Martin, Bahamas and Jamaica.

We stayed from Aug 29th- Sept 8th, its a nice hotel, definitely on the large side but only 40 mins to the airport which was a plus! Initially we were getting annoyed especially my kids and I with the distance. We stayed at building 35 which is right in the middle close to the pool, and equal distance to the lobby/restaurants and the beach (but in opposite directions). However half way through our vacation, we got used to the walk, and started to see the golf carts more often and at nights we just caught the golf cart shuttles in the front lobby.

Pool - nice, clean, has quite and loud spots

Beach - on the Paraiso Beach side was not that great, lots of seaweeds, some rocks as you enter, and a film of dark residue/seaweed as you enter and must walk-swim abit till you reach the turquoise water. We mostly walked to the right of the beach which was Paraiso Lindo beach and stayed there, cause it was clear turquoise water, but the problem is that their beach bar/snack station wouldn't serve you, even though its the exact same one, so would take turns with hubby to go get food-drinks from our own station.

Rooms - Just average, beds were very firm but whatever we're not at the Hilton or W hotel so its expected... any ways we left at 8am and returned at 6pm then again back at 11pm so not much time spent in the room.

Entertainment - after our first week, it seemed that they were repeating some of their shows, my kids liked the kids disco show from 8pm-830pm consisted of freeze dance, or musical chairs and so on, the other nights I wasn't super impressed I liked the entertainment crew they really work hard to keep people upbeat and entertained from morning (at the pool and beach with games and music) till night...but the content of some of the shows were just ok, seen better at the iberostar varadero last year....our favourites here was Magician night, Oscar night, mexican theme, the Musicals ie. beauty and the beast

Food - was great! I really don't understand some of the reviews!!!! first of all you are in Mexico, and not a high end restaurant in a metropolitan city, which for instance we come from. There was always the staple items such as taco/fajitas, pasta/pizza, salads, deserts/ice cream, fruits, roasted meat station, grill station (meats, chicken, fish), hamburger/hotdogs and a station where they had different stew or mixed dishes such as a casserole, many different kinds of stews that you can have over rice or pasta, steamed vegetables and so on. Furthermore they had themed nights, so one night it was mexican, another asian (they had sushi, noodles, etc..). Bare in mind that they changed the staple stations as well so ie. pasta would change from cream sauce, to red, or pesto or mixed with sea food, chicken..
We tried a la carte restaurants, Japanese (fresh and great), Mediterranean (it was ok, lobster and steak was over done), and steak house (it was good).
My overall view about the food was that we definitely didn't go hungry and there was always something that all four of us found to eat and we were greatly satisfied. My strategy is this just because its a buffet doesn't mean you have to sample everything every night, hence you can save some for another night!!! then you won't get bored or sick of the food available at the buffet :) ps. they had delicious grouper, shrimps, mussels, and crab legs for all those sea food lovers!

All in all we had a great time, it was low season, so only one buffet was open and some of the snack restaurants were closed. But on the other hand it was relaxing didn't have to rush and save a spot on the beach or the pool, and didn't have to deal with long food line ups. We also tried the pool side restaurant for some of our breakfast and lunches which turned out to be perfectly fine!! Beach snack bar, we had nacho, salsa, hamburgers, chicken wings, steamed veg, rice, fries, and ice cream during the day (there is also an ice cream bar by the pool which the kids had every day).

ps. we did sneak into the Lindo pirate water park (which the kids loved a lot). we did this 3-4 times ;). the hotel seems similar to beaches, with the exception of having the water park, a lazy river (my husband and kids liked) and a wave pool. For few hundred more i would upgrade to that but not $1000 +. We also toured the grand hotel which is an all adults, it is beautiful not sure the price... I'm sure expensive.

Over all great trip, but if you are not into big resorts this would be a disappointment, because it does have a lot of walking, that could be challenging with 2 kids ;) Also our immediate beach was a bit disappointing. I wouldn't pay more than $ 4000 all in for a family of four from Toronto! so if you get a deal like that and less its worth it :)

Room Tip: Building 35 was situated between the beach at one end and lobby restaurants at the other end.
5 Thank apple413
Dear guest,

First of all, we would like to thank you for your friendly comment about your stay in Iberostar Paraiso Beach. It is a pleasure for us to read that you have enjoyed your family holidays among us.
Feedbacks like yours are very important to us in order to lead our improvement in guest service .

We are glad to read that your kids have enjoyed our entertainment program. The animation team works very hard with illusion and enthusiasm to make our entire guest feel welcome. The Kids Club is equipped to entertain our younger guests: from our Kids club to our Pre shows at the theatre they do their utmost to make sure all kids are having a good time.

Thank you as well for mentioning our cuisine. Every night we try to offer a variety of quality food to fulfill the expectations of our guests. In rur buffet guests can enjoy many different buffet themes. We also offer and our guests could choose from Italian, Mediterranean, Steak house, Japanese, Mexican or Brazilian a la carte restaurants.
We also agree that at the beginning of September the storm Ernesto brought seaweed. Somehow because of the currents we received more than our neighbors. However, as I am writing, I am glad to let you know that a few days ago the currents were in our favor and cleared the water. I hope you will be able to enjoy the wonderful and turquoise water for your next stay.

Once again thank you for sharing your experience and we assure you that we will continue working to improve your next experience with us.

Kindest Regards,

Dawson Creek, Canada
Reviewed September 11, 2012 via mobile

In a word it was Awesome! Our stay there was in November, weather was what it was. If I recall there was 1 day out of 7 that wasnt great. The resort from the moment we arrived to the time we left was fantastic! The staff from front desk to the beach always had a kind "word". As far as the food goes, we found something at every meal to satisfy us. Tried loads of new food. Some we really enjoyed some not so much.
We met many couples and had a wonderful time at the swim-up bar and the disco. All in all nit life was what you make of it.

We have a 2 week trip planned in November of this year, I can not wait to get back there and enjoy all the " Beach " has to offer. I would like to say to those of you that do take the time to read all the reviews, you cant possably please everyone all the time. This resort is by far the best we've stayed at in Mexico. Enjoy!

Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Tom D
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your opinion about Iberostar Paraiso Beach. It is a pleasure for me to hear how much you enjoyed your holidays among us.

Thank you very much for mentioning our cuisine and our staff. The kindness and friendliness of our staff is one of the main principles of Iberostar. It makes us happy to know that we succeeded and I am delighted to hear that we were able to fulfill your expectations.

I would also like to thank you for your loyalty. It will be a great pleasure for us to welcome you back in November. Please do not hesitate to send us an email at rpparaiso@iberostar.com.mx if there is anything we could do before arrival.

Kind regards,

Ferndale, Michigan
Reviewed September 9, 2012

This place had me cursing it one second and praising it the next. If there's one thing you take from this review it should be that if you consider yourself someone who enjoys good quality food, do not stay here. It will ruin your vacation. I'm not exaggerating...this food is horrid. Everything I ate ended up having the texture of baby food and tasting worse. That being said, if you're in no way a foodie like many of the people I saw gobbling up pound after pound of mushy buffet oddities, you'll be fine and won't starve. I, however, went hungry. We had heard that the food at the specialty restaurants would be better but after eating at the brazilian steakhouse one, that proved to be false. If you do want to eat at one of those restaurants for some reason, you have to make a reservation and this can only be done in person and between certain hours apparently. That doesn't mean it won't already be booked.
The grounds themselves are really beautiful with ponds along the paths near the lobby area. Unless you have a room close to the lobby, you'll likely be walking a long ways and you might find yourself getting lost on occasion because all of the buildings look the same and the windy path can sometimes fool you. At least there are cool animals to distract you from the anger you will feel when you're wandering around hopelessly. The room we had was nice with marble floors and marble bathroom (two shower heads but on the same wall) but the floors were dirty when we got there which was annoying. I don't think they swept them. Air conditioner worked well and so did everything else. The beach and pool areas were clean. The mix of families with kids elbow to elbow with drunken adults was odd but nothing bad happened that I saw (but maybe keep a close eye on your teenage daughter before she ends up hanging out with drunken college guys).
The staff are all friendly and helpful but would prefer just saying what must be an obligatory "hola" and going on their way. According to one of the staff members we spoke to, they are only on limited contracts that don't guarantee being hired back and they don't find this to be the fairest and most motivating way to work. The olympus tours people who you book your excursions through are intense to say the least. They're great in that they know about all of the things you can do but not so great with times so it's a good idea to double and triple check your scheduled times for anything you book through them. If you're not a lay down on the beach all day every day type of person, I'd book something through them as soon as you can to make sure you'll get to go where you want to go (not all tours are available every day). You might want to read up on where you can take one of these trips beforehand so you'll have a better idea of what you want to do but avoid the dolphin encounter because it's just not fair to the dolphins.
I wouldn't stay here again, mostly because of the awful food. The best part about staying here other than the excursions was honestly those cute little coatis (mix of a possum, cat, fox, raccoon and something else awesome) and the cats, swans, flamingoes that roam the property. Everything else was below average.

Room Tip: If you or anyone in your group has any trouble walking (and consider that it will be hot), get a roo...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank cpha109
Dear guest

I would like to thank you for taking the time to write your comments regarding your stay with us. The best way to improve our service is listening the opinion of our clients in order to offer a better service to our future guests.

We deeply regret the fact that we did not fulfill your expectations since our main goal is your complete satisfaction.

Regarding the food, we already pass your comments to the Chef, We try to offer variety with a different kind of food every day at the main buffet in order to give you more options to choose., Please be assured that we have taken note of all your comments and thank you for your tips. I can assure you that we will keep working and do our best to improve your next stay with us.

We are glad to hear that you enjoyed our property and fauna, another of our priorities is to take care of the environmental as part of our commitment for the sustainability.

Concerning the cleaning of your room, we would like to apologize for the inconveniences, this is not the service that we regularly offer to our clients and we will take the necessary measures in order to avoid this kind of incidents with our future clients.

Once again we deeply regret not exceeding your expectations during your pasts holiday, we hope to have the opportunity to welcoming you again in the near future and restore your confidence in Iberostar.

Kindest Regards,

Quality manager - Iberostar Mexico
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Recent stay. Very clean. Nice Staff. Lots of walking, which let us burn off the extra food and drinks we consume in an all-inclusive. Friends we made needed medical help and were promptly attended and treated professionally and courteously.

Food wasn't as good as I expected but lots of variety and good choices in a la carte restaurants like the Japanese and the Mediterranean.

Would go back.

Room Tip: Select your rooms in the middle so you minimize walking.
3 Thank Bravo_deals
IberostarMexico, Quality Manager at Iberostar Paraiso Beach, responded to this review, September 15, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write a comment about our Iberostar Paraiso Beach on tripadvisor.com

Thank you for pointing out our staff. One of the main principles of Iberostar is the kindness and friendliness of our employees. To hear that a guest had an enjoyable holiday is worth the efforts we do day by day and your comment will motivate us to keep on improving our services.

We look forward to your next visits!

Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed September 4, 2012

Just got back from the Paraiso Beach. We had a great week there, helped along by the fact that we got such a good value when we booked in July, and had beautiful weather for the week. With our package, booked directly through Iberostar, we got a free upgrade to an oceanfront junior suite (the suite isn't much bigger than a regular room, but the view over the beach was a plus) and free private airport transfers (that alone was about a $100 value). This is a beautiful resort, and I wouldn't hesitate to go back, but I definitely think the deal we got helped me to overlook some service issues we had (nothing major, just some issues with service in the a la carte restaurants and with some of the front desk staff).

The resort is huge, as many other reviewers have pointed out. I was happy to have the oceanfront room, but would not recommend it for anyone who has an issue with walking. The other reviews are true - it takes about 10 minutes to walk from these rooms to the restaurants and lobby area (and I'm in my 30s and tend to walk quickly). I loved the pool and had no trouble finding just the right lounges each day, as the resort was only at 40% capacity the week we were there. We had great service from Dahlia, a wonderful server who brought us our drinks from the bar all day. The buffets were pretty good - lots of options and plenty of food all the time. Nothing gourmet, but that was fine. The a la carte's were fine. The food at the Japanese steakhouse was extraordinarily fresh and very good, but the place was sooooooo hot, despite the AC. Too bad they have the rule about men wearing trousers because it was actually cooler outside, once the cooktops were heated up. My boyfriend and I were both sweating profusely by the end of the meal. The Mediterranean and Steakhouse were both okay, but not special. Appetizers are done buffet-style and then you pick an entree. Not exactly what I was expecting, but again, fine, and happy to be in the AC on those evenings.

Highlights for me were the oceanfront room, the sparkling and huge pool, the Cigar Bar in the Del Mar lobby (AC, good service, never crowded), the good and plentiful drinks, and the "jungle" atmosphere of the Beach/Del Mar complex. Downsides were mainly related to the time of the year and the low occupancy. They are clearly using this time to spiff up the place, so the jacuzzi in the quiet area was closed and the waterful not running, only one buffet was open all week between the Beach/Del Mar, the small restaurant/snack bar between the pool and beach was closed, and the tram was only running one or two days while we were there. I can't blame them for this, but I did notice it. Would've been nice to have an additional lunch or breakfast dining option down closer to our end of the resort (other than the beach snack bar).

Overall, though, great vacation and I would certainly come back. I did walk around the Lindo one day and if it was less than $200 more to stay there I would probably recommend upgrading, so you can use their facilities as well as the Beach/Del Mar. But any more than that and I'd be content to go back to the Beach.

Room Tip: Buildings 30-41 are on the Beach side of the complex, with 30 being the closest to the ocean and the...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to write this wonderful review about our Iberostar Paraiso Beach.
I would like to mention, regarding your comment about our staff and our cuisine.

It makes me happy to hear that you felt welcome and that you generally enjoyed our food selection. We try to offer a huge variety and a high quality to fulfill our guests’ expectations. I am glad that we could fulfill yours and that you enjoyed it so much. Concerning the air conditioning we will have a look on this point with our maintenance team.

To read that you would like to come back is the best compliment for us. Please do not hesitate to contact us when you are planning your holidays. It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you personally.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa Paraiso
#97 of 209 in Playa del Carmen
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
Iberostar Tucan Hotel
#43 of 209 in Playa del Carmen

Been to Iberostar Paraiso Beach? Share your experiences!