“Great resort”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Playa Paraiso
Grand Luxxe Riviera Maya
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Playa Paraiso
New Milford, CT
“Great resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

The Grand Luxxe exceeded our expectations. Not only are the facilities beautiful and immaculately maintained, the staff goes above and beyond to keep guests happy. The only issue we had was with the manager at the Custom Burger Restaurant. We waited at the pool for about 45 minutes for a server to take our drink order, when no waiter arrived, we walked up to the bar and were told that we were 10 minutes late for the happy hour drinks. I started to tell the manager that we had been waiting to order for 45 minutes, and he walked away!! He was very unprofessional and arrogant. We did not go back to the burger restaurant because of his behavior, I would suggest the management send him for training. Also, I got food poisoning from a salad served at the Custom Burger Restaurant, it was not terrible, but slowed me down for a few days. Maybe this is a result of poor management too?!?!

Other reviews detail the resort - all in all, an excellent choice when visiting the Riviera Maya.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the third floor for a possible view of the ocean or jungle.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank AmyS-CT

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (187)
  • Finnish first
New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 1, 2012

My sister, niece and I traveled to Mexico to celebrate my niece's graduation from college. I have traveled to many resorts and The Grand Luxxe has made it to the top of my list. We stayed in a two bedroom villa that was huge and very upscale. The terrace, one of three, with the splash pool was better than I had imagined and we enjoyed it every morning with our coffee. It was hard for us to force ourselves to leave our terrace to explore the rest of the resort. The staff at The Grand Luxxe 2 was beyond pleasant and made us feel very special. We returned to our room one evening to find that they had left a delicious chocolate cake decorated to congratulate my niece on her graduation along with a card. We also loved the turn down service and the towel sculptures that they left. The pools and pool bars were beautiful and there are so many that they were never crowded. All of the waiters and shuttle drivers made an effort to remember us. We especially enjoyed going to eat at Havana Moon and returned nightly to dance. Followed by swimming in the 24 hour pool, first resort that I have ever encountered with that. The ocean was beautiful although rocky so we wore swim shoes. Brio spa and fitness center was great to work out in and our Tequila massage was fantastic. Everyone went out of their way to help us and accommodate our needs even before we realized what we needed. We made an appointment for the timeshare presentation, but had to cancel and they never pressured us or asked us about it again. My husband is seriously considering making a trip there and checking into ownership after I have raved about it. We would especially like to thank our concierge, Illiana Velasco, and her staff. Also the waiters at Havana Moon,especially Nate our bartender. I could write endlessly about the beautiful surroundings, the wonderful experience we had and how we hated to leave. I just have to say that everyone who can should go and experience this paradise for themselves.

10 Thank TravelBuddies589
pa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

The resort property is beautiful! We stayed at the Grand Luxxe. The Luxxe is a little out of the way on the property. We arrived at 9pm and their hotel service was not at their best. They kidnap your luggage to take to your room then you have to sit around for a shuttle to take you to your room instead of doing it all at once. Even my children noticed how disorganized the system was. The room was large and clean. Housekeeping came twice daily. Housekeeping left a yummy chocolate on your pillow with the evening turn down service. All of the staff were friendly and helpful. The beach is very rocky and is not conducive to wading in the water. The last morning we were they there was a lot of construction noise that I had not noticed before. I don't know if it had been going on since we arrived and we did not notice since we gone a lot in the morning. The shuttle service is nice but the property could be more pedestrian friendly. We managed with out a rental car. If you schedule a tour make sure that they can pick you up inside the property. It takes a little planning to make sure that you are at the front gate on time.
The only problem we had was with the time share presentation. When we arrived we were given a contact person (Lety) to schedule our presentation. We called her extension several times and the phone was not answered and we could not leave a message. We called the front desk asking them to leave message for Lety to let her know which day we chose for our presentation. Later that day, when we arrived back to our room, Lety had left a message asking us when we were going to schedule our presentation. We called the front desk again telling them that we rescheduled a tour to make time for the presentation and that Lety left a message asking us when we wanted to schedule our presentation. The lady at the front desk said not to worry about and to just go at the time we said when we left the message the previous day. We showed up at the specified timed and they had no idea we are coming. The first man said it was OK and he would have someone talk with us. Our rep was not on the property and we waited 30 minutes for him to show up. While we were waiting we told them that we had a tour scheduled that we already rescheduled once and we were not going to miss it. The first guy said we are not going to be able to do the presentation because we need more the 90 minutes. I said I wanted the manager because we were told the presentation was 90 min. He said we should have been told not to schedule anything for then rest of the day in case the presentation went over. I said I wanted the manager because that is not what we were told and we had a tour already scheduled and had been waiting for the rep and we were getting very annoyed. The rep finally arrived and we went to breakfast and he started his spiel. He kept saying he understood that we needed to leave and he would keep it to the 90 min. after breakfast he took us to the model units while giving his presentation. Then we went back to the common areas where all of the presentations were taking place. He kept going on and on and on while saying he knew we had to leave. He said he had to write all of the info down because his manager would check his documentation. We are now 30 min over the 90 min mark and he is still going on and on. We know that his manager still has to come over to sign us out so we tell him that we are not interested and to bring over his manager. He kept going on and on. At the beginning of the presentation he said that some raffle tickets ( there was a name for them but I cant remember it) were not given to him so he would have to get them later. The raffle winner could win a cruise for 2. Since he was not going to get his manager I said don't forget about the....I could not remember the name of the tickets were so I snapped my fingers. He says we can finish this without you snapping your fingers! Now began the attitude. I was done. I said I wanted the manager so we could be signed out. The manager came and talked another 10 min then passed us to 3 more people before we got a slip giving us our gifts. We walked out of there in just under 3 hours!!!! That included the 30 min waiting for our rep! That was absolutely ridiculous! We went to another time share presentation and they were respectful of our time. For such a high class resort their time share sales people are horrible! And of course we were not entered into the raffle!

Room Tip: At the Grand Luxxe all of the rooms are great.
4 Thank esmomrn
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2012

never been to Mexico, but would come back to this place.. you are treated royally.. wow... the villas are huge & clean, the service excellent, from checkin thru checkout.. smiling people, very accommodating....
family trip (31 of us)..
wow,.. what a trip and experience... everyone enjoyed it very much..
maid service 2x a day
shuttle service within minutes of request
golfing (low season) no wait, nice cold towel at end of the round
as my friend said... it is good to be king... even only for a few days....

3 Thank teamwasabi
Brooklyn, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

The Grand Luxxe room was the best room i ever stayed in. We had a 2 bedroom, it was huge! The balcony was the length of the whole room. The service was fantastic. Had the room next to the conceige, so I was able to make espresso/ coffee at anytime, you can also help yourself to waters and sodas which was a nice plus. If you stay at the Luxxe you are treated like royalty. We were able to get a shuttle fast. The only con with this resort is that you share this place with other resorts...ex....Mayan Palce, Grand Mayan, Bliss....You have to take a shuttle everywhere. It is not an open layout. The jungle is in the way. Each resort has it's own pool. All the pools were fantastic. If you stay at the Luxxe you have the privledge to be able to go to any pool in the complex. IMI Grand Mayan pool was my fav.
The burger place at the Luxxe was delish!
Con.... If you are looking for a beach resort, then forget it. Can't swim, too rocky. ; (
If your looking to go to Playa you take a shuttle which is $5 person. 5th Ave is a must see....great bars and restaurants...beach is beautiful. Walmart is there to stock up on food/drinks for your room.
Another con for me was that the Riviera Maya is in the middle of no where. You have to take a taxi/shuttle. I enjoy walking and being able to see/do things....Felt like my $ went a lot to taxis and shuttles.....

6 Thank eninajsti
Gilbert, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 10, 2012

We spent the week of June 30 - July 7th at the Grand Luxxe. We had a Master Suite for our party of 5 - 4 adults and a 7 year old - we traded through II for this.

Room was luxurious - very spacious and had such an attention to detail. Was a plus having maid service twice a day.

Staff was always attentive - sometimes almost too attentive - it seemed they would know our every move, and anticipated our needs throughout the week. We did attend the timeshare presentation which was highly aggressive, but we were compensated well for it - $1500 pesos plus tour discounts and overall 10% off the final bill. We heard 8 final offers before they let us leave - some offers almost sounded like they were paying us to buy-in, but all seemed so confusing and it was just easier to keep saying no.

At the resort, we enjoyed all the pools - the Grand Luxxe pool was great - frequent service from waiters, and check-ins from the pool concierge often with Popsicle deliveries. Restaurants were good as well - priced reasonably - no worse than some of the more upscale places in Playa del Carmen.

Location was very convenient to Playa del Carmen and the nearby Croc O Cun zoo - which we enjoyed. Also did a day trip to Tulum and Xel Ha which we did through a tour company. We had a car rental - and wished we did those tours on our own - lots of wasted time waiting for the tour buses to fill up and leave (a 11:30 return time means you won't leave the parking lot til an hour later).

Overall - was a great week and made our our first time to the Riviera Maya very special. Hope to return again soon.

Room Tip: We had a 1st floor room which felt very private, and very convenient to the shuttles.
2 Thank JeffKBrea_CA
Holland, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

Recently visited the Luxxe in Riviera Maya on Jun 11 to 18. We are Luxxe owners and this is our second visit to this location. We do enjoy the Riviera Maya and Cancun area, however this location for Luxxe building leaves something to be desired. Services are as expected no complaints, Our complaint are the buildings are located in isolated "jungle" area and require transportation shuttles to get anywhere. It's a pain if you forget something in your room and need to go back, I know plan better, but that is just an inconvenience factor. We stayed at the Grand Mayan Cabo in March and we so enjoyed ocean view from our balcony and the easy access to get to the pool and beach. To each his own - it's our review. Some will appreciate it and others will just consider this another person who's not satisfied if everything is not perfect.
If you like it quite and isolated then by all means this is a great resort to stay.

Room Tip: Try to get third floor if available, but it's very difficult even if you are a Luxxe owner.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
El Dorado Royale, by Karisma
El Dorado Royale, by Karisma
#3 of 11 in Playa Paraiso
4.5 of 5 bubbles 9,327 reviews

Been to Grand Luxxe Riviera Maya? Share your experiences!