“Welcome to the good life! March 17-24, 2009”

Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Bayahibe
Reviewed March 28, 2009

Our trip started at Santo Domingo airport. Our advise, pay extra for the private shuttle. We made it to the resort in less than 2 hours. However, hold on... Or fly direct to La Romana airport. Otherwise if you are on a shared shuttle, it could be 3 hours or more.

Arrival, very nice. Room wasn't ready but they put bands on our arms and we headed for some grub. Went back at 3:30pm, room was ready. Escorted to the room, King non ocean view but great location. About 1/2 way between both resorts. Room 4137. No bugs, clean and the maid was very nice. However, only one day we received cokes in the refridge. But, we left a tip almost every day and the maid was nice enough to include towel art. Take your bottle water with you, otherwise they return it to the same spot in the bathroom. Conservation! Shampoo and soap can be hard to get because it is not replaced every morning unless requested.

The first night at the buffet was okay. We found enough and returned with a full belly. Breakfast was a little repetitive except for the fresh cooked donuts. The yogurt is great...try it. Lunch - we rarely ate at the grill. The beef is not American grade and does not taste the same. Try the buffet at the Palace resort, it is better than the one at the Beach. The pasta rocks - have them cook it to order. Also, the salads are great with their dressing that has salsa in it. The chicken is also good. Dinner - Oriental - had the Tepanyaki (sp?) was good, had the California rolls - good but a little nervous about seafood the first night. Italian - the Grouper was great, the Beef Carpasscio (sp?) was the bomb - order it - my husband sent his appetizer back and asked for it.. Mexican - fajitas were good. The bananna falmbe was quite a show for dessert. Don't forget the Mexican coffee before you leave. LaRoca - was not all it was built up to be. The service was not good for us. However the stuffed chicken was good. I highly recommend it.

If you scuba dive and dive with the resort, be aware you have much work to do on your end. We were required to assemble our gear, carry our gear to the boat, don't bring personal items because there is no room and be prepared to return the gear back to the dive shop...carry off the boat - BC, Reg, everything except the tanks and rinse all the gear yourself in water tanks. The dive masters were also very lack luster and did not show you much of anything. My husband found almost all the sealife to point out to our group
(and the dive master). You can snorkel out to the last set of buoys from the resort about 125 yards and see the reef which is about 35-40 feet deep on your own. My husband did it several days and really enjoyed the reef out there. You can paddle out therein a kayak from the resort if you don't want to swim that far.

Tip - have your towels returned by the end of the day. "that's the rule." or else you don't get clean ones the following day. We found this out at a stand off one morning prior to breakfast. We finally received clean towels because we didn't know the rule.

The shows were very interesting. Worth a look see. Some better than others. Interesting music is all in English but very few English speaking folks around.

I suggest you pick up some conversational Spanish before you go - otherwise - you are lost. All the staff speak Italian, French and Spanish...some speak minimal English. Some very well - like Hamliton and Maiker the bartender! Loved Hamilton! FYI - we saw no one tipping...so do so....gives you the advantage...even at the buffets with the wait staff. The lobby bar is the only one that carries name brand liquor and bottle beer. The beer is all Presidente. Take your own large cup if you want drinks larger than an 6-8 ounce cup.

Walked out the resort to purchase Laramir stone and cigars. The locals are extremely hungry and pushy. Just know your limits and return if you feel uncomfortable. Don't buy Cuba cigars at the first place...likely not real. Go to the Bayahibe Cigar Factory on Wayne Fuller Ave and check with them. They can give you a tour of all types of cigars.

Overall the table wine was not bad. It is average grocery store wine.

They cater to the French and Italians. There is an entire staff dedicated to the Italians and a nightly show just for them at the resort. The recreational staff always speaks in French and Italian for activities. The French and Italian guest recognize you as Americans and will not acknowledge your existence. Be prepared to complain if you are not happy. Otherwise, niceness doesn't cut it and you will be dropped to the back of the line.
The beaches were very pretty and the locals are friendly as comparable to Mexico.

Remember this is not a 5 star resort. However you will be happy if you go in with a good attitude. The Palace is a great value. We would return.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank klstrange
There are newer reviews for Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace

Reviewed March 27, 2009

Not a bad place to stay. Clean. Our very 1st all inclusive. Very little English is spoken, except the guy who harassed us non-stop about time share's (10 days of him hounding us...we dreaded each time we saw him...won't listen to "No not interested"). I found that offensive. This resort is mainly made up of European's, Italians and France. Just be ready for little or no English.
It was a nice resort all around. The daily buffet was very tasty and there are enough restaurants on site that you don't have to eat at the buffet every day. Make sure as soon as you arrive you make your reservations by 7 or 8 am for the different restaurants...reservation ONLY and they fill up fast. Has to be done 2 days in advance and only 3 restaurants can be booked at one time...cannot book 4 days in advance.
The Kids club, if you want to call it that is a joke...nothing really offered except daycare and the lady didn't speak english...so we didn't leave my 8 year old there.
There's shop's on site and in the immediate area for shopping. Very limited though, you'll have to take a cab to go to town to get more choices. Long cab ride as this resort is a little isolated. There is a casino very close by that the Hotel will provide transportation for.
We initially booked a room with an ocean view...DON'T, it's very small and very close to a night club on site...very loud that night. We had no problems changing to a different room. Really though, you spend most of your days at the beach, not looking at it from your room. Ocean view not worth it. The staff helped us move all our bags to our new room. Very nice!!!
The activities they offered daily at the resort for the most part were...terrible. We spent hours on the beach each day and had to listen to the same music for aerobics class given by someone who didn't know about aerobics. The Salsa classes were a complete joke.
My wife and I found this resort on a discount travel website and that's the only reason we went...we would not pay full price to stay here.
My daughter and I did do the para-sailing...was nice but the guy who was operating the boat was a little careless with the previous riders....one of their 2 parachute straps broke...so they were literally hanging on by the skin of their teeth. This happened because the driver of the boat slowed down and let the parachute and occupants "Skim" the water...well, they went in the water and the boat operator accelerated the boat again and the strap broke and they also got their digital camera wet. I tried to communicate with him "NOT" to do that with my daughter and I!!!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed March 27, 2009

As others we started to worry about some of the other reviews, but they were DEAD WRONG. We were there for 2 weeks and never saw a cockroach, after again looking at those pictures them the doors are not even like that, so don't know where they took those photos but it was NOT at the Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace.
We loved it. This is our 3rd time to Dominican 1st time to this Hotel. We arrived late MondayMar.9th. Check in was quick and easy. We got to our room Lambi 5823 on the 2nd floor, got settled and headed off for pizzaeria. The pzzas are great they cook them in a open oven. When we woke up we were in heaven, opened up the curtains to oceanview , BEAUTIFUL. Dolores was our maid, she was great at doing the towel art and keeping our fridge stocked. Front desk was fine they understood everything we asked. Yes we had to stand in line to reserve a la carte , but it went quick. We tried the Mexican and found it to be the best, we wished we would have tried it earlier because we would gone back a couple more times. We did the Santo Domingo trip left the Hotel at 8:00 am found it very interesting, the history is amazing. Lunch was good saw more history, then got to go shopping, my only complaint was shopping was only 1 hour long and it just wasn't long enough, we thought we would have more time. Wellington was our guide thought he did very well at explaining everything. At night we would go for our walk and end up at the El Trago Bar to listen to the great music and talk with Marco, his deep and high voice. He made great pina colodas and Dominican sunrises, when you go there say Hola Amego. If our kids got hungry at night we just headed off to the pizzaeria. During the day we lazed around the beach until lunch went to the Bar La Papaya, where you can get hot dogs, hamburgers, fruit, cakes. Danny at the bar was great all very friendly. My Husband and I went in to La Romana on the local bus (van) it was fine, went to Gumbo( like walmart) not what we were looking for. We saw how cigars are made. The girls making them get paid by the cigar not by the hour. We ended up with a guide but the next time we would like to explore more on our own. We left our teenagers at the Hotel and they were fine there by themselves. At th Buffet (La Yuca) all the girls in there were nice and all tried to communicate with you. Yes at times the food was luke warm but it is a buffet and its hard to keep all hot. Mabel, Angileca, Ruth were great. My Husband loved Iggy ( the iguana) Iggy loved to have his head rubbed and under his chin. The flea market on the beach is good, the one thing they tell you is that today is last day good price for you. They do barter but don't insult them. They wait by the ropes waiting for you to cross over them because they can't come on the Hotel side. My husband and son took out the hobie cat a few times. We took our own snorkels and flippers, and underwater camera. Snorkeling right off the beach was great, seen alot of coloured fish. It was fun and exciting to see, a great experience for our kids. Our kids went on the internet a few times it costs $ 3.00 for 15 mins. The sunsets are BEAUTIFUL on the south side of the Island. We never went down to the Beach Hotel for the night life if thats what you want then head down there. One thing also nice about the eateries is that NO SMOKING allowed in them. We never made it into any of the pools, i guess with a beach like that who wants a pool. We would go back there in a heart beat.

2  Thank hockeyrocks-7
Reviewed March 23, 2009

I am leaving this All-inclusive resort tomorrow and have never been so happy to leave a resort in my life. This resort neither needs nor wants Americans here, especially those with disabilities like myself. Mydaughter and I were placed in a room as far from the beach and cafe's as possible, although I had requested a room close to all since i wear a back brace and am just rehabilitating from surgery. That's why I came here, to enjoy the ocean and swim.
I think several small Italian villages emptied out during our stay, as 99% of the guests were italian. Which is great, but when the staff speak NO Engish, and the bartender askes my daughter if she is PREGNANT (she is 19 and is not)....well, suffice it to say, I will never return here. The food is fantastic, the lawns are immacualte, the beach is beautiful, the ocean is to die for....but this place cannot possibly be owned or operated by an American.

Janet Kelly

Reviewed March 21, 2009

Having read MANY not-so-great reviews, my sister and I decided to book a trip to this resort with an open mind. I am glad we did because most of the negative aspects we read about were not true (at least for us). We found that the staff were always helpful and willign to try to assist even if their English was not great. In fact, they seemed to appreciate our attempting Spanish while we coached them in English! It's true that we didn't run into many Americans while at the resort, but those we did meet, we enjoyed and spent alot of time with. Reviews warned that we might encounter roaches (we didn't see indications of any), have cement-hard beds (not true), flat pillows (we brought our own and it was a waste of space in luggage), bad food (we ate at most of the restaurants and buffets and found the selections and preparation of meals to be very good) and trouble at check-in (no problems encountered. In fact, when we arrived, we found that the resort was over-booked and Palace had arranged for us to be transported to and from a nearby luxury resort for the first night. We were compensated with a complementary trip to Saona Island). We loved the beach areas and never had difficulty finding an empty lounge chair of towel. The pools were lovely and not over crowded. The grounds were clean and well-manicured (though I never did spot the three-foot long iguana). Rooms were simply-decorated but spotless and we always had planty of hot water. We enjoyed walking the meandering path alongside the ocean that connects the Palace with the Beach, both during the day and at night, always feeling safe. Our only complaint was having to stand in a line before 8am for a restaurant reservation for the NEXT night. There has to be a better procedure than this! For the sake of readers, I offer the following suggestions. We appreciated similar tips from previous visitors to The Palace and hope others might benefit from them as well:
1) No need to waste space in your luggage by bringing your own snorklels, fins and masks as snorkeling isn't great even if you take the excursion to Saona Island.
2) If you are used to using a wash cloth when you bathe or shower, bring some of your own. The resort does not provide them even if you request them.
3) If you like or need to have Diet soda available in your fridge, you have to bring your own or buy it in the store at Beach because they will only stock the fridge with Sprite and Coke. There is Diet Coke on tap in the buffets and ice if desired Bars provide it as well.
4) Bring along a covered (insulated if possible) cup for your drinks from the bar especially if heading poolside or to the beach. The plastic cups the bars make their drinks in are on the small side and can easily get warm in the sun or get sand in them.
5) Don't pass up on the Pizzaria as a lunch, dinner or snack option. It is wonderful!
6) It is easier to bring questions or complaints directly to the hotel's front desk than to try to explain via the telephone if you speak English only. Hotel Manager, Mendoza, couldn't have been more accommodating and pleasant.
7) You might find yourselves with a new-found love for Bachata- the Dominican style of music that you will hear throughout your stay. Enjoy!

• Stayed: February 2009
3  Thank debbeau55
Reviewed March 20, 2009

I'm not sure if I've ever been this disappointed in any place I have stayed before...We booked through cheapcaribbean.com and I have nothing but good things to say about their service and help. From the time we arrived at the Santo Domingo airport until we left was one continual stream of frustration and diappointment. Please don't waste your time and money on this imposter of a resort. We finally found the Turinter shuttle representative at the airport, who motioned us from place to place..a porter grabbed our bags and thinking he was going to load them on the shuttle bus ( not here yet) he pushed them approximately 30 feet and demanded a tip...no bus for another 30 minutes...the driver, an older gentleman was nice, but drove like a bat out of hell, no hands, talking on the cell phone, and passing on hills and curves...they say it's a 90 minute trip to the hotel...try 2 and a half hours. On arrival, they had our voucher, and appeared very pleasant...they placed us in two rooms side by side, not adjoining, as requested, next to the smoker's stand(we had requested no smoking)..the rooms backed on to a busy streeet, and were approximately 200 yards from the beach...note the promo says all rooms are just a FEW steps from the beach...without unpacking, I returned to the desk, and told them the rooms were unsatisfactory(in our small town of Joplin, Mo., we would have called these rooms meth labs)..the rooms were dirty, the furniture was old, chipped, and mismatched...several of the light bulbs were burned out, and the bathroom was dirty. I was informed the hotel was full, and to come back tomorrow. That's when I started my odyssey of trips to the main desk...they would greet you with a smile, which would turn into a frustrated pout, if you persisted in your quest for a satisfactory room...finally after four delays and trips to the desk, we were finally moved into rooms closer to the beach, bigger, and marginally cleaner...the tub and sink still leaked, and a one inch strip of fresh white caulk lined the bathroom, and would stain your clothing if it touched it. Again. the furnishings looked to have been gathered from 4 different goodwill stores in appalachia, andthe mattress was thin and uncomfortable. A liter of water was provided for each room each day, and don't ask for extra...coke and sprite were in a minifridge, and don't ask for diet. We would go a day with no towels, other than beach towels in the room...One of the reasons we had booked this specific hotel was because of the advertised kids' club and teen club...the kid's club was a joke and the teen club (per the kid's club manager did not exist.
the primary food was a buffet, which was very foreign to common American tastes, and oriented toward their primary population, Italian and French tourists...I know the French are fairly discriminating, so I imagine they were as disappointed as I was with the quality and lack of variety.
The specialty reataurants were a little better, but be sure to have dinner before you go there, or you'll leave hungry.
We reported a broken glass panel in our children's room because of the safety issue, and in turn, were blamed for the damage with the maid swearing that our children were fighting and caused the damage...I have no doubt they were fighting as they were bored out of their skulls, but I have replaced a lot of damaged windows, and that one wasn't caused by the boys...they weren't going to release us to the tour bus until I was billed 130.00 on my credit card....what choice did I have...in summary, if your're looking for a fun all -inclusive beach resort, keep looking, as this is truly the worst place I have ever stayed...many of the people on the bus and on the returning flight shared their experiences, which were essentially the same as ours...this resort has no concept of the term service or friendliness, and needs a serious makeover in maintenance and redecoration. It is not that this isn't a beautiful property, it is, but the service, food, and attitude of the staff leaves so much to be desired I would hate to wish this on any body else.

1  Thank jmmr49
Reviewed March 11, 2009

We held the reception to our wedding at this resort, and the entire wedding day came out better than we possibly could have imagined. Thank you Christina (at booking), Barbara, and all the staff for the hard work put into making our wedding perfect.
With the help of the staff at this resort, we were able to hold our marriage ceremony at the church at Altos de Chavon in the morning followed by a reception on the beach at the resort in the afternoon to evening. We were able to do this for under $12,000 USD inclusive of everything (air travel, tourist activities, gas, cellphone bill, groceries, wedding gown, tux, pearls, limo, invitations, photography, florist, church, cake, etc...) for 50 guests including rooms for one night for 28 guests. The beautiful bride even had a makeup artist that followed her around.
The resort staff put us in touch with a florist, Flora, in nearby La Romana that took care of a lot of extra details such as transportation and the wedding cake. We did need to drive to La Romana several times to work out some of the details.
We were impressed by Dominicus Palace because they were very easy to work with in accommodating our needs, and they only charged us for exactly what we used with no unexpected charges.
All the guests had an awesome time. I heard some say that this was by far the best wedding they had ever attended.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple