“My Wedding destination”

Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Bayahibe
Reviewed June 21, 2014

First, I'd like to start off by saying that I would give this property a 3.5 stars, not 4, if I could.

We chose this resort for our destination wedding because my husband and I are members of Club Viva and had a complimentary 8 day all-inclusive vacation to use. We had no idea what to expect but after staying at the Freeport Viva, I was worried about my guests' experience while they participated in our nuptials down in the Dominican Republic. (The Freeport Viva isn't very nice. Things were broken in our room and the food was not good.)

Anyway, the Viva Palace and Viva Beach resorts were only about 15 minutes from the La Romana airport which was nice, but if you fly into Santo Domingo, you're looking at 1–2 hours, depending on your method of transportation. I suggest you hire a private car or share a small private van with other members of your party, so you don't have to stop at other hotels. That seems to add on a significant amount of time according to some of my guests who decided to fly into Santo Domingo.

THE CUSTOMER SERVICE
• I think the guest service at reception sucks. They were okay for us when we checked in, but I witnessed some of the employees' poor attitudes towards my sisters and parents.
• So I agree with other reviews and would say their employees didn't really have the best attitude or treat people as well as they could at check-in and check-out. Personally, when we checked out, they didn't really know what they were doing nor could they answer why a charge was erroneously placed on our bill. It was a little frustrating but in the end we sorted it out.

THE CLUB VIP CUSTOMER SERVICE
• The VIVA Club VIP service is stellar, professional and such a contrast to the check-in/check-out people at the front
• The girl was always asking if we needed anything and how are vacation was going. She was very kind and courteous.

THE RESORT - VIVA DOMINICUS PALACE
• Located in the tiny town of Bayahibe, it lies right on the water next to it's sister resort, Viva Dominicus.
• If you stay in Palace, I hear you have access to the Beach side, but I never saw anyone really check bands or turn away guests from the other side. We had access to both sides with our reservation & membership.
• You can purchase with your reservation, the upgrade to have access to both sides.
• Viva Palace is definitely the quieter side of the resort and in my opinion, the nicer side, so I'm glad we chose this side and not the other.
• The night club is located in the front of the property, around the corner from the pizza spot, but it's rather quiet unless you are inside the club so I don't think it's a problem if your room is near that area.

THE RESORT - VIVA DOMINICUS BEACH
• If you are looking for more action during the day and a livelier bar at night, the Beach side is where it's at.
• They have cute thatched-roof huts and a quieter end at the opposite side, but in the center is the big bar and main pool which always had a ton of people.
• The VIP bar for both resorts is actually at the far end of the Beach property, but it's a welcoming, secluded area with chairs, jacuzzi and incredible ocean views.
• Viva Dominicus Beach is where the nightly entertainment performs, regardless of which side you are staying.

THE ROOMS - PALACE
• We were upgraded to the romance junior suite because of our wedding, so our room was nice and clean. It was spacious with a King bed and a jacuzzi for two.
• The bathroom functioned fine as did the A/C, so I was happy about that.
• It also had a mini fridge which was nice to keep some food in when I wanted to snack on fruit or have cold water).
• They replenish two bottles of water daily.
• We received wine (although not good; it was Dominican wine) and fresh fruit almost daily which is a nice benefit of the VIP membership and wedding package.

THE EXCURSION
• We did take a day trip to one of the neighboring islands, Saona. We traveled by catamaran so it was nice to be on the water. We stopped to swim at the "natural pool" but it's just the ocean and not special. At the island, we lounged around in a private VIVA section where they served an excellent BBQ lunch. We were there maybe 2 or 3 hours then left to go back to the resort. Overall, the excursion was fun. I'm not sure how much it was because it was included in our wedding package, but I might pay $50–$60pp. Anymore, I'm not sure I would go.

THE ACTIVITIES
• We were extremely lazy and only lounged in the bed/cabanas and by the water, but our friends participated in everything from kayaking to paddle boarding and the trapeze. They all had a great time without incident.

THE FOOD
• This is where I was most concerned as I have a strict diet of no gluten, no sugar and no dairy.
• Luckily, I was able to speak with the head chef who told me what I could have from each specialty restaurant, so I knew in advance what I could eat.
• The main dining room Yuca served a buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner; I was surprised it had rather decent food. Now mind you, they don't really season with salt because of dietary limitations so you often had to add salt to things like the fresh omelets. However, in general, I was able to find a few things to eat when I dined there, and they have a great selection of fresh fruit and salad. I'd give the restaurant a B- for quality and A for diversity.
• We did eat at the Beach side's La Terraza which is like Yuca, but honestly, I didn't think the buffet food was as good as La Yuca.
• I didn't actually eat the salad because I was concerned about food handling, and I'm not a fan of iceberg, but they did offer some grilled vegetables and usually had a fresh pasta station for lunch.
• I didn't eat at either main pool's hamburger/pizza station, but my husband enjoyed the food, including french fries, hotdogs and a selection of sides.
• I loved the Italian restaurant on the Palace property, Il Palco. The gnocchi was divine! I had it made special without cream, just olive oil, garlic and herbs. I dined with two people who actually lived in Italy for several years and they both commented at the authenticity of their meals.
• The Mexican restaurant was surprisingly good. I ate the chicken enchiladas without the tortilla and just has a side of rice. The guacamole and chips were tasty...I didn't get sick!
• The restaurant 25 was just okay, but I really couldn't eat much on the menu, so I'm biased. My husband enjoyed his food fine.
• Viva Café is where our reception dinner was held. Our guests all said they enjoyed the set menu provided, and the wedding cake (although I couldn't eat it) was supposedly delicious. I thoroughly enjoyed the whipped yuca and a the caprese salad.

THE DRINKS
• The wine served at La Yuca is terrible (if you like good or even decent wine). It's reminiscent of grape juice. There is no body or aroma to it.
• There are two cash bars—one on each property—so you can buy wines by the glass to enjoy if you're thirsty for quality libations.
• Also, the specialty restaurants have a small selection of decent wines, so we purchased a few bottles during our stay.
• We bought a bottle of Grey Goose at the night club and were able to take what we didn't drink back to our room which was nice. The rest of the resort bars don't serve premium liquors, unless you go to the Club Viva VIP Bar.

THE SUMMARY
Overall, we had a rather enjoyable stay. Our ceremony was perfect and the resort is meticulously kept. Every day I saw law maintenance and building maintenance being performed. The amenities are great and the views are gorgeous. I do recommend visiting if you are looking for a budget to moderate type of all inclusive resort. The Dominicus beach side had a lot of families and younger children while the palace side seemed to be more of an older crowd and couples. The staff didn't really speak much English, but I wasn't expecting them to. The only people who know multiple languages were the front reception, concierge or excursions staff, so they can point you in the right direction and offer suggestions of activities or provide assistance when needed. If you need people to speak English to you all the time, then stay in a U.S. or U.K. resort.

If you are looking for an above average to excellent vacation experience, then you will need to pay more and stay at a high-end resort. However, for the price and the nice amenities, I think Viva Palace is a solid 3.5 stars.

Room Tip: Stay away from the pool if you want a little more quiet.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MarraC_12
VivaDominicusPalace, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2014

Dear customer,

We really appreciate your review published on TripAdvisor.

We are grateful for your remarks and especially we are happy to know that you had overall pleasant say and that your wedding ceremony was perfect.

We are delighted that your guest’s enjoyed the reception dinner and cake as well your romance room and VIP customer care service.

I also would like to thank for your suggestions and important remarks; please rests assure that all of our guest opinions are very important for us, as we consider it as the most reliable source of information to improve our services and facilities.

Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to have the opportunity to be at your service next time you visit Dominican Republic.

Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach & Palace

Write a ReviewReviews (3,576)

Reviewed June 19, 2014

There are dead honey bees everywhere... They kill them with some sort of bug spray. There are other ways of dealing with this problem without killing bees. They arent that important to Wyndham.

I am not joking when I said in the title that the airport was the better experience of the trip. We entered the property knowing that there would be noise and an older hotel. What we found there was a staff that was more interested in selling you excursions, Wyndham VIP vacation plans, and anything else they could use to extract money. If I was 25-35 and did not have kids and wanted to get drunk and party, be in a club like atmosphere 24 hours a day then this place if for you. If you have kids, want some quiet time, want to relax, and chill out: This place is not for you. From the moment you get there it is one large commercial. The first day you get there you must go to the lobby to meet with a travel consultant and he/she tries to sell you trips and it is a hard sell.

SUMMARY:

Not family friendly: If you would like to be on a Huge Carnival Cruise Line with a beach and a constant party then this place is for you. It was a party nearly 24 hours a day 7 days a week. The music was always loud everywhere. There was a DJ spewing non-sense a great deal too. The kids area is small and more like a prison yard.

You Get What you Pay for: Yes it was inexpensive, but never again will I go cheap on vacation. The hotel is dated and in need of an overhaul. It is almost like the 1980's. There is no wifi unless you were in the lobby and it didnt work most of the time. There was an internet cafe that was good but it will cost you.

Excursions: We went out on the day trip on one of the boats to an island. They show a sail boat taking you to an island and it looks very fun and restful. They will serve you lunch when you arrive and then you will go back to the hotel arriving around 5pm. From the minute we set sail the VERY loud music started. There was no escape. I like loud music but for 90 minutes straight and no break it was rough. By the time we got to the island we were worn out. When we did get there the food was terrible. We were constantly offered things for sale by vendors. We then got back on the boat and the music started up again. Again, it did not stop for 90 minutes. It was so loud that you couldnt speak to other people. Everyone was so warn out but the music pounded.

Staff: Most spoke spanish and the few spoke english. They were very unresponsive to basic requests. They have a program and they stick to it, do not expect them to go the extra mile even if you do tip them. My advise is to not tip anyone for anything, they simply do not care about money. The staff that does speak english will also lie. If you have a problem with the bill they will not negotiate with you even if you show receipts.

The beach, water, activities, and pools: The beach was clean and the pools were nice. The blue water is amazing. I would have liked more things to do, like horseback riding, wave runners, and other such things but there wasnt much. If you wanted to play foozball, table tennis, or pool you had to give them a $20 deposit per item. So two paddles and a ball will requires a $60 deposit.

FOOD: The food was ok, we arent big eaters but it was like the free food you get on a Carnival Cruise line buffet. The soft drink machines were often out of various beverages. My son really liked cocoa but it was often empty. The best place to eat is 25 but make reservations. Do not waste your time with any of the other off the buffet places they are not very good. One even charges $10 / person extra and it was not very good.

The WORD 'NO': When the cleaning lady came to clean the room she forgot to replace our bed spreads. We got in that evening and it took a phone call and three trips to finally have someone give us a two bed spreads. You will need bed spreads because the air conditioning works very well: It is either 50F in your room or 90F. It took 4 hours.

My wife caught a stomach flew and wanted me to get some food for her back at the room. I went down to the buffet and picked her up some food and as I was walking out with a plate full of toast grabbed my arm and said no. I said what are you doing? No, and she pointed at the plate. There were no to-go plates. I walked away and she came after me, I ignored her feeling pretty upset about this experience.

We wanted to change our time getting to the airport and we booked a private car through our travel agency. It took nearly 45 minutes after constant NO NO NO. You cant do that... We eventually were able to change our time to what we wanted but it took some serious nearly heated debate to get it done.

Checking OUT: WHen I checked out the bill was wrong and when we tried to negotiate through the issues they wont even look at you. They forget all the english they just knew 2 minutes ago. They refused to negotiate even when you showed them receipts.

All this hotel wants is your money. They know you will probably never come back. My whole opinion of the Wyndham company has been soured because of this experience and they will go to the bottom of the list of hotels when booking travel for any purpose. I stay in hotels roughly 120 nights a year for business.

Now the DR airport: Customs and boarder control were nicer than the hotel staff. The shopping was better. The food at the airport was better. The airport was cleaner than my hotel. The United Club people were so kind and so helpful. My wife and I joked about our next vacation being at an airport. Even my kids were relieved to be in the airport.

Let the buyer beware. If you book here, you have been warned.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank John T
VivaDominicusPalace, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2014

Dear Guest,

Please accept a sincere apology for any inconvenience that you might have experienced during your recent stay. We regret to find out that our resort did not meet with your expectations.

We truly appreciate you taking the time and trouble to bring these points to our attention. Your insightful comments are highly appreciated and rest assured that they have been forwarded to the corresponding departments in order to follow up on your concerns.

Thank you for the opportunity to serve you at our resort.

Reviewed June 18, 2014 via mobile

We purchased this vacation through groupon. For the price we paid, it was an alright vacation. The food was really amazing, but you have to be willing to try new things. If you are a picky eater, this isn't the place for you. The staff spoke Spanish first, but most of them also spoke very good English. The ocean was pretty, but the swimming sections had rocks throughout and we received some bumps, bruises, and scratches from them. Our room was the biggest disappointment. We had a garden view on the top floor. We had two beds and both of them were very hard. It was just a mattress set on top of a concrete "box spring". Like I said, for the price we paid, it was worth it. We enjoyed our stay but probably won't be back.

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Memalko
VivaDominicusPalace, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2014

Dear customer,

Thank you for choosing Viva Wyndham Dominicus as destination for your vacation.

We appreciate the time dedicated to write your opinion about your stay at our resort. We are glad that you enjoyed our gastronomic offer and beautiful beach.

We assure you that your feedback will be considered in order to ameliorate our services.

Thank you once again for visiting us.

Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach

Reviewed June 17, 2014

Unforgettabble once again, my third time at this resort, and I will tell you its a positive experience. Try it!!
Went with friends very good food in all restaurants, but please go to "La Pizzeria", cant be better.
Staff is amazing , i believe this is the best trained people they make your stay enjoyable.
En realidad el personal, que atiende el restaurant "La Juka", es incríblemente amable y hace que uno se sienta especial.
Los "amigos por siempre", de animación son un grupo divertido, con el que uno se siente muy a gusto y entretenida todo el tiempo.

Room Tip: Garden view second floor!!
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank sun-hummingbird

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind comments and for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor.

We are extremely happy to learn that you enjoyed so much your third stay in our property and that you enjoyed the service of our amazing staff.

Be sure to ‘Like’ us on Facebook to be the first one to learn about upcoming specials and promotions

We will be honored to welcome you back once again in a near future.

Reviewed June 17, 2014

This is a beautiful property that is very large and has a lot of activities if interested. We stayed in 5946 which was a third floor oceanview room. The room was fine with the minibar filled daily with sodas and two waters left in the bathroom. The room safe was two bucks a day and worked well once we figured it out. The bed was firm but I did not find it hard. They only have basically sheets and a sheet like blanket on the bed but it was comfortable if you adjusted the a/c. The beach is very long with sandy and rocky places. It is not good for snorkeling as there were constant 1-2 foot swells coming in. I walked to Bayahibe which is a protected cove and the water is flat there, (2.5 mile walk along a trail). We enjoyed the food although it is tailored more toward European tastes. I speak Spanish so I had no trouble communicating with anyone. The show in the Palace theatre over the lobby was only in Italian though, which I thought was odd.
The real issue we found was the inconsistency in service. In the small buffet in the lobby area and ironically in the pizzeria (excellent thin crust pizza from a wood burning oven)at lunchtime, we received excellent service. But in other buffets, we were never offered a drink or even coffee in the morning. It is available for self service, and at times I saw a lone server with a coffee cart who never made it to our table. The same was true of the bars. Some gave excellent service, quickly serving people as they arrived, and others were terrible where they ignored you to talk to other workers or to other guests without serving anyone for a few minutes at a time. I tip liberally so that was not the issue. At any rate we found the places that did well and ate and drank there. No swim up bar is another issue for those interested in that option. I only ate at one a la carte, (La Roca, Italian food) which was excellent both for food and service.

There was also construction going on the beach path and we had to divert through the grass and bushes at times but I have no issues with a little inconvenience in the name of progress. There were some very nice touches such as the beach beds found on the beaches and by the pools. There was also plenty of shade and never a problem finding a chair. Contrary to what some have said, it is cheaper to purchase souvenirs outside of the hotel. Just bargain a little and you will get them much cheaper. The resort has everything you can think of being very large with the two hotels next to each other (the Beach and the Palace). You will do some walking if you want to see it all.

All in all, I recommend this hotel although we will probably never be back as there are better options. We got an excellent deal and we have no regrets having spent the week there.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank taoofthecaribbean

Dear customer,

We really appreciate your review published on TripAdvisor.

We are grateful for your remarks and especially we are happy to know that you had a nice time while staying with us.

We deeply appreciated as well you suggestions which will help us to keep improving continuously.

Thank you for recommending Viva Wyndham Dominicus and please do not forget that we will be pleased to welcome you back anytime.

Reviewed June 6, 2014

This hotel has a good location, nice landscaping, clean rooms. However if you want service and good food, you don't want to stay here. If you want to have a bottle of soda you have to buy it or have a glass at the bar all they give you is three bottles at check in. At buffet there is nothing to eat, no choice. However intertament is good, it is a lot of fun. Anyway, I will never go back in this hotel!!!

• Stayed: June 2014
8  Thank Andreyka69
VivaDominicusPalace, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2014

Dear Guest,

On behalf of Viva Wyndham Dominicus team we would like to thank you for visiting our resort during your recent vacation here.

Thank you very much for taking the time and trouble to bring these points to our attention. Your insightful comments are highly appreciated. Your experience and the information you are providing will help us to continually improve our services.

It is great to know that you have enjoyed at least the room and our beautiful landscape.

Thank you once again for your comments. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back to our resort in the near future and to show you our improvements.

Best Regards,

Reviewed June 4, 2014

Location: convenient/inconvenient depends on which airport--about 15 min. drive from La Romana airport, about 1 hr. from Punta Cana airport, about 1.5 hrs. from Santo Domingo airport

Lobby: easy check-in/check-out--concierges are multi-lingual, make a la carte restaurant reservations at guest services, travel agents' desks, "free Wi-Fi"--horrible signal and only works on/off for small tasks

Room: standard room pretty small for four adults, shower only half covered by glass wall so bathroom floor was constantly flooded, not enough towels--received two towels per day for a room with four adults, "comforter" = thin sheet of fabric

Pools: four lovely clean pools--three lively & one quiet (two deepest pools only about 5ft.)

Restaurants: six free a la cartes (one with surcharge)--can only make three reservations for a week's stay, three buffets (one only opened for lunch), two day time snack bars, one overnight pizzeria

Bars: six bars (in each of the two lobbies and by each of the four pools)--drinks varied by bartender on shift

Service: some servers/bartenders were definitely nicer than others (as expected) but good overall--we always tipped $1-$2USD at the bars and buffets and $5USD at the a la cartes which seemed pretty uncommon amongst the European visitors (majority of the clientele there)

Shopping: two shopping areas within the resort, larger one in the center of Beach and Palace sides and smaller one on Palace side; shopping outside of resort seems to be the same price if not higher (before haggling) as in the resort

Excursions: trips offered included Saona Island, Catalina Island, Santo Domingo, Dune Buggees, Horseback Riding, Swim with Dolphins, Ziplining, etc. (typically offered by your assigned travel agent)--we did the Catalina trip where we were picked up via bus from resort, pit stop at a small shopping area, took catamaran to Catalina Island, spent a few hours on island (banana boat, wing ride, snorkeling, lunch buffet), catamaran back to port, bus to Casa de Campo for site seeing and shopping, bus back to resort--wasn't worth the $110 in our opinion but Catalina Island is really beautiful!

Entertainment: animation crew spent days at the pools giving dance lessons and nights dancing away on stage in the theater then at the after party on the pool deck by the theater--the theater shows were always great!

Room Tip: No elevators--some rooms more updated than others!
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank GodLi

Dear customer,

Thank you for choosing Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace as destination for your vacation.

We appreciate the time dedicated to write your opinion about your stay at our resort. We assure you that your feedback will be considered in order to improve our services.

Please do not forget that Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace will be pleased to welcome you back.

Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach & Palace

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayahibe
Catalonia Royal La Romana
Casa de Campo Resort & Villas
Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach
Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus
Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa

Been to Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace? Share your experiences!