“Very nice~!”

Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace
Ranked #6 of 16 Hotels in Bayahibe
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I was at this hotel from June 2-7. I am a long timer on Trip Advisor, and as much as I heed my own warnings, I read every review and start to worry I made a bad hotel choice. No worries my friends~! In fact, I am patting myself on the back as this was a wonderful vacation choice and I would definitely recommend.

I booked this trip thru cheapcaribbean.com. I had no problems whatsoever. We flew into Santo Domingo (from Ft. Lauderdale). The custom’s line had to be the quickest one I have ever experienced. Don’t forget you need to purchase the $10 tourist card. I arranged a round trip transfer thru JM Transfers; they were right on time and waiting with a sign. No issues there, I would recommend them as the price was the best I could find.
The drive was a little over two hours. Not a “bad” ride per se, but if you have ever been out of the country, you know what I mean. There were a few white knuckle moments, but we arrived safely.
Check-in was fine. We were there around 5:15pm, and we were the only ones checking in at that time. We got a brief rundown of the towel card policy, map of the hotel, etc.
We were in the 6000 block of the hotel. The room was super nice and updated. The bathroom was modern as well. We had two double beds, a nightstand and two lamps on the wall. The dresser had a few drawers for clothes if you wanted to utilize it. The closet had a safe (additional $ per day, we used it and never had any issues with it), a small fridge and three shelves on the one side. The other housed the ironing board, and had plenty of space to hang items (there was about 6 hangers). We stored our luggage in there, so it’s pretty roomy. The fridge had diet coke, coke and sprite as well as tonic water. Whatever was consumed was replaced the next day.
The bathroom was a fairly decent size. For some reason, we kept getting two towels every time they made up the room. (there was three of us). Please note that there is no washcloth, so if you must have one, bring one from home. Also, they only supply shampoo, and if you are like me and need about a half-gallon of conditioner, bring some of that as well! (I would stock up at home – buy the empty 3oz bottles and fill them up; a small container of sunscreen for example will set you back $22!). Water pressure was never a problem and we always had hot water. There were two large bottles of water next to the sink and those were replaced as well. As a normal precaution for us, we brushed our teeth with it.

The resort is pretty dang big! The Palace side is definitely the quieter side, but if you wanted to be in the thick of it, it was a nice stroll over to the other side. Everything connects together nicely, and everything is marked well.
The beach was fantastic. There were a few rocks, but nothing major. We spent most of the day beachside and then would migrate to the pool when it got really hot in the late afternoon. There are plenty of chaise loungers, we never had a problem finding 5 together – in fact we would grab 6 for a spare to throw clothes and gear on. The towel club (you know them - the people who reserve the loungers at XX in the am and never reappear) didn’t seem to have any members here!
There were a total of four pools. The one at the Beach part – all the way to the end, was practically deserted. And the one by the pizza place, I saw one person in it. The entire time. The other ones are lively, animation team going, kids playing, etc., so if you want somewhere a little quiter, hit those.
There are no shortages of bars here. Each one had self-serve cold water and sodas. If you had to have ice, they would get it for you. I prefer beer over liquor, and Presidente was what was on tap. I took my Bubba Mug, as the tiny (6oz? 8oz?) get warm and old real fast. They didn’t mind filling them up for you. Liquor is plentiful. The lobby bar has some top shelf; all you have to do is ask.
You would be really and I mean REALLY picky if you starved here. Seriously. We ate at the two buffets (one at the Palace and the one at the Beach), and two of the a la carte restaurants. From fruits to pastas to carved pork, to rice and beans, etc… Honestly. There is something for everyone. My favorite would have to be the pizza. They serve up that deliciousness from 7pm-7am. We’d eat dinner and a few hours later hit that place up it was so good! The only thing I wish they had was to go boxes. Oh by the way, out of 5 of us – no illness whatsoever.
We took out the catamaran and our party also used the kayak. My daughter gave the trapeze a whirl, good times. There is a crew that walks around with various animals (money, iguana) and takes your picture. They are pretty decent and $10 each. They do have a disc option as well.
The shops weren’t too bad. I found some really nice things in the place directly across from the photo shop. I got some nice canvas prints for $5 each. However, as I mentioned early, if you run out of any sort of personal items; it’s going to cost you!
We went to one “variety show” one night. The Beach side is in partial English, but let’s be real; it’s people dancing and hopping around – you don’t really need any explanation there.
We did one excursion to Saona Island via Seavis Tours (separate review). I discovered that group via trusty Trip Advisor. I highly recommend them. It was a wonderful day and worth every penny.
I don’t even really want to go there, but it has been brought up. The “they cater to Italians” theme I have seen in plenty of reviews. Well, call me crazy, but I wasn’t anticipating leaving the US for the DR and being around a bunch of Americans. That being said, we didn’t feel “overlooked” or “neglected” at all. Service was never an issue and I feel we were treated fairly. Everyone was friendly and we didn’t feel like outsiders.
I hope this review has helped, and I hope for those of you who are second guessing – DON’T. Just go and have a great time! I would definitely recommend this hotel. Please feel free to email if you have any questions.

4  Thank jaxinorlando
Write a ReviewReviews (3,636)

Reviewed July 2, 2013

I am in the service industry, and this resort offers the most friendly, genuine service anyone could ask for. If you speak Spanish it is a plus, but fear not if you know very little. The staff is very nice and helpful. The rooms are clean, and the closet space for shoes, clothes, luggage etc is perfect. We asked for a king size bed, and received two queens, but not a problem at all. Ask for a oceanfront room and pay the extra for it; it's worth every penny to enjoy the sound of the waves as soon as you wake. Use the safe, but know they will charge you for it; pay it knowing that the little cost is security your belongings are completely safe. Now, the food was just ok. When I say this, I mean only ok. I ate only to get food in my stomach not to enjoy great tasting food. This is at the buffets. If you enjoy the food on a cruise, you may not enjoy this food comparably. However, the restaurants do offer a better quality. Make the reservation for sure at Viva Cafe; food here is delish. Free alcohol is a plus. The bartenders do enjoy being mixologists. Outside the gate are little souvenier shops; go visit, it is safe. It was a sad day to leave this resort and we look forward to booking again.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 29, 2013

I don't know why everyone gives this place bad reviews. I am a very picky person and I absolutely love this resort. Rooms are clean, resort is spotless, food is ok not bad at all, and you never are hungry or thirsty. An overall amazing resort! Don't listen to the negative reviews.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank yank2
VivaDominicusPalace, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace, responded to this reviewResponded July 16, 2013

Dear Visitor,

Thank you very much for your review, It is really a pleasure for us to know that you spent a great time in our facilities.

We hope that you give us the chance to serve you again in the near future to offer once again our best attentions.

Kindly,

Reviewed June 26, 2013

My son and I arrived on June 18, 2013 for a 7 days stay. When we arrived Kayla checked us into room 5328 king size bed. However I needed double beds and didn't fancy the heavy mildew smell and flat pillows. No number was on the night stand, so I went down to reception and for a room with double beds. Kayla told me to call her at 9pm at ext 3800. When I call her she asked me "how did I get into that room". Excuse me I don't work here evidently you check me into it". She sent a older gentleman to move my luggage to a room with double bed room 6213. That room was moldy, dirty and very minimal. What going on I was expecting cameras to come out and say I was being punked. I was tired and I spent the night there first thing in the morning I called for a room change. I was told I would have to wait until the manager arrived at 10:00. I spoke to Kinnis a representive for cheap caribbean on the third floor. She got them to give me another at 12pm, room 5224 king size, LOL! I took it because it was the least moldy smelling of all. It however had mildew in the bathroom, soap scum shower, leaking bathroom ceiling, stained balcony curtain and white sheets stained a dirty yellow. The television remote is bolted to the wall, the alcholic beverages are water down as well as the juice which they doctor with over generous helping of sugar. If the drinking glass are available at the buffet you need to examine their cleanliness. It hard to find dinner plates that had no stuck on grime. The food sucked! They served the same tasteless overcooked or undercooked items everyday. After ten am and before 7am you will have no choice but to eat their unacceptable excuse for pizza because nothing else is open. The burgers and hotdogs taste horrible and look strange but the fries were fair. Most of the staff do not care which obviously reflects on the hotel. Some staff are nice and that helped but most of them seemed annoyed. I was accidentally injured by one of the staff member and wanted to file a incidence report. Reception sent me to guest services who basically could careless. I never got the form and the manager did not want to talk to me until I mentioned law suit and then suddenly became available. After thirty mintues the manage became availble, no thank you. With that being said I would never ever, ever return!

• Stayed: June 2013
4  Thank maple2
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I booked a superior room with a king size bed with Sunwing. I ensure that Sunwing called the resort to ensure that I get what I wanted. Sunwing confirmed that the hotel will provide the superior with king size bed. We arrived at the resort at 10:00 p.m. tired, hot and hungry. upon check in we were informed that we do have the king size bed and the superior room. We also ask about a restaurant to eat. They claimed everywhere is closed, only thing is a pizza place which we can get a slice. They took our luggage to the room and when we got their the bed was not king size, it was two double beds. WHen we ask the gentleman he just drop the luggage and stretch out his hand for a tip and said to call the front desk. We called the front desk and told them about the room. They claimed that they couldn't help us and we have to wait until the morning when the supervisor comes in. We didn't argue we decided to wait. We went to the washroom and it was flooded. The beds smells and had hairs, the balcony doors didn't close at all. We waited until the morning to approach the front desk, we went very early and the gentleman their was rude and mention we have to wait until 10:00 am for the supervisor. We waited and they claimed they have no other rooms available. If I wanted to change the only one was available was their specialty room, which i had to pay 360.00 US more. We decided to pay because i couldnt stay in the room I had, it smells and it was flooded and dirty. We were meeting relatives their the next day, they also had to change their rooms, however they didn't charge them.

The staff is very unpleasant, no one seemed happy. The services is horrible, you couldn't get a drink or a refill, if we asked the staff, it seems like we were bothering them. No one was tipping and I realize that is why. The food was also terrible, no flavor and it was the same items every night at the buffet. The al cart restaurant was nothing special. We had to pay 20.00 US for a specialty restaurant. We couldn't enjoy the food because it was so hot and sticky that you could even breath, we ended up leaving early. Majority of our friends were sick with the food, Most ended up going to the local restaurants outside the resort because they were tired eating the same things every day.

Room Tip: It doesn;t matter because when you get to the hotel they change it
3  Thank debbie b
VivaDominicusPalace, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace, responded to this reviewResponded July 1, 2013

Dear Guest

We deeply regret not having fulfilled your expectations as a guest with our services, facilities and accommodations. Also we want to let you know that each one of your comments has been taken seriously by our general direction in order to avoid situations like this may happen again.
We really hope that you will give us the opportunity to recover your trust in our products by visiting us again, so that, you could appreciate that your comments were very helpful for us to improve our services.

Best regards

Angel Mercedes

Reviewed June 20, 2013

It is a beautiful place to stay, nice beach, and food, But, the customer services there is horrible, the staff is not well informed and they are rood. Basicly you are left on your own once you get there. The lady at the checkin hold me that maybe our reservation was not at that hotel without even checking,, after a while she came back saying it was under a different last name which is not my fault if they reservation was put on a different last name. I gave her the confirmation email and she did not even bother to look at it. Very little to none activities. The shows are sucks if you can call music by the beach a show., No room service and the TV only works at night, reported the TV not working and am still waiting for them to check it. The suppose WIFI only works on the lobby and the connection is so slow you have to spend your entire stay trying to connect. Try reserving for a restaurant you will spend at least 2 hours on a line only to find out they are booked or the only one is the Italian which the food is horrible. We ended but checking out in the AM because we could not stand staying there any longer. Will never go there again, was there 6/14 - 6/16 rooms 5929 , 5930

Room Tip: do not go there, you will regret is!
3  Thank guandule
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Having read all possible reviews I could find online before going I got some useful info and also will add my own tips...We stayed at Dominicus Palace, definatly the nicer lobby and slightly better buffet (than D. Beach)..however the whole resort is very nicely kept and the staff were friendly except the odd grumpy one at the front desk...and we had no problem with the language barrier as most staff could understand English .It is more or less an Itallian resort, (having a direct flight into La Romana from Milan) which,being from England, was refreshing to be amongst some european energy and style....that accent and those tight speedos are hilarious..however fyi most of the nightly shows are in Italian. The coffee and cappucinos are fantastic!..the wine is paintstripper dont do it! however an inside tip is the D Palace lobby bar..the only place to get champagne! (it's no Verve Cliquot but) waaaaay better than the wine!! The restaraunts are about the same as the buffet's just ok. fyi if you like bacon or sausages youre outta luck..unless you like hotdogs for breakfast...go for the a la carte omlettes, also its funny but some of the previous nights dishes suspiciuosly appeared (revamped) the next day...just sayin.
The ride from Santo Domingo was around 2 hours due to traffic and roadworks VERY bumby ride..(for me it was awful because I have a tender injury which was exacerbated so by time I got to hotel I was in agony) but most people will be fine , and you do get to see how the Dominicans live as you pass thru a couple of towns on way.Upon arrival I smiled thru my pain and asked VERY nicely for an "upper level room" as suggested by a reviewer and that paid off in spades...we were given THE best view..right on the ocean..beautiful! the actual room was fine also..not hospital clean but I brought a bunch of antibacterial wetwipes and "cleaned" it myself before we unpacked.
We went horseriding, it was great. Also I had a fabulous massage by Jennifer in one of the little shops just outside the D Palace gates just $25 for an hour ($75 in resort) if you like watersports you're set..also the ocean is really fun the waves are just right.
All in all its a great spot and as with everything its what you make of it :D

Room Tip: ask for an "upper level beachfront "room
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank shipshape_florida
VivaDominicusPalace, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Dear Visitor

We are very happy to know that you spent a great time in our facilities. Also we are even more happy to know that we managed to fulfill your expectations about our given services concerning to our villages, staff, food and the service in general.

In Viva we are eagerly expecting your return to once again give you our best attentions and services.

Best regards