Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace
Bookit.com
$163
$144
  • Breakfast included
El Eden Hotel(Bayahibe)(Great Value!)
$60
$47
Cabana Elke(Bayahibe)(Great Value!)
$65
$60
Travelocity
Hotel Villa Iguana(Bayahibe)(Great Value!)
$55
$182
TripAdvisor
TripAdvisor
3,827 results
All reviewsbeach sidebeach resortla yucaviva wyndhamsister resortocean frontsanto domingospoke englishpalm treesanimation staffpurified waterbeautiful beachrestaurant reservationsfrench friesthe mexican restaurantspecialty restaurantsvip bar
Reviewed April 7, 2013

My family of four has been vacationing at all-inclusives for many years and I think this one is the most beautiful of any we've been to. The grounds are gorgeous and well kept, the beach is large, lots of palm trees for shade and everything is well maintained. The food in the dining rooms is as good or better than most AI's (it's still buffet style food, though) and the one restaurant we visited, El Palco, had better than average food. The best meal in the place is the wood fired pizza at La Roca or the Pizzeria; don't miss it. Be sure to hit the lobby bar on the Palace side; they have top shelf liquor and are always friendly and inviting. The capuccino is deliciouso!
The Dominicus Beach resort is loud and lively and the Palace side is much quieter; they really don't seem to be two resorts, more like two sides of the same one. We were very satisfied with our vacation.
On the negative side, the beds are extremely FIRM and not very comfortable and the lack of English speaking staff was problematic at times. I am a pretty seasoned traveller and was able to work through the issues that arose with the language barrier, but a more timid or inexperienced English speaking traveller might not be so lucky. I would estimate that English speakers represent less than 10% of their clientele and I understand they are more eager to cater to the Portugese/Spanish/Italian guests. However, a guest is a guest and staff should be trained to refer issues to a supervisor instead of dismissing them.
There were no Spring Breakers and no swim up bars and the bar staff made an effort to keep heavy drinking under control during the daytime.
I would recommend this resort and I would visit it again!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
8  Thank lauracvit
Reviewed April 6, 2013

After being to several all inclusives this was our first time to a Dominican one. We were not disappointed as this resort exceeded our expectations. We stayed at the Palace side but were able to use all the amenities of the Dominicus Beach as well. Our room was very nice and we had a partial ocean view. There was plenty of food and choice in both buffets. All of the al a crates were exceptional as well. One of the best parts of the resort is the long stretch of white sand beach, palm trees and the beautiful Carribean sea. Never had a problem finding a chair to relax on either. Being from European decent, the cultural diversity at the resort gives it a unique European flavor that you would not experience in similar resorts in Mexico. We didn't have a problem with any of the staff members not being able to communicate in English, however, as this a resort that caters to multicultural vacationers, English should be one of the languages spoken by more staff members, especially the animation team. I can see how this may cause issues to others. The animation staff are some of the hardest working people I have ever seen trying to get people involved in various activities including dance lessons, volleyball, Zumba, water aerobic, etc. Hope to be back one day soon.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank mushka_8
Reviewed March 16, 2013

This is an area that I know very well and this hotel has made an effort to cut down on its terrible noise from the animation music on the beach, the lobby and its bars. Unfortunately, much more needs to be done. Upper management people need to spend time there and open its eyes. The hotel manager certainly made a strong effort to contain the problem and I'm sure he attempts to continue to make it better. We wish him luck. As a customer, I was constantly informing staff of the distractions which I and others were exposed to on a daily basis. Little was done about it, because it appears that all they care about is to fill-up the hotel with as many bodies and baby-carriages they can muster from anywhere they can.
On this visit, the animation staff and music volume (with boom,boom tempo) coming from the sister hotel Dominicus Beach next door seems to be difficult to control as it travels with the wind to the Palace Hotel. Similarly with diesel fuel, from some boats that pull-up at the sports shop , that could sometimes be nauseating.
The landscaping is pleasant and relaxing and doesn't fit with the activities of the hotel. The buffet dining room, the Yucca, has a good variety of dishes on a daily basis and very well displayed which makes it appetizing. The kitchen staff does a fabulous job. But their hardwork is undermined with the MANY baby carriages and their sloppy parents who arrive and place themselves immediately in the 9 tables to the left of the entrance. This is an area that should be for adults and seniors who don't want to walk to the right side further away. The carriages carry bacteria and they're transfered into the dining room. The visual impact is distressing because older people dress-up well for the evening dinner and they're greeted by a bunch of snotty kids in baby carriages, not to mention the awful screams that go along with that. I tried to inform them that kids, sans carriages, belong at the back where they can make life miserable for their own parents. It's very serious because the hotel now caters to many cheaper fares for families coming from many parts of Europe.
One evening, in the Palace lobby trying to enjoy a quiet drink the atmosphere was turned into a hellish screaming kindergarden with Italian parents doing little to control their kids from running around and giving older people a headache. The guest relation girl, an inefficient girl named Irene, was told to quiet down the mess and she replied that she was off duty and went to socialize with the bartenders!
Having said all that, the food is good in all restaurants, and a new one called '25' made its debut this year and the chefs are doing the best possible. If only the proper environment could be given more attention. Why is there at 9.30 p.m. right above the reception an entertainment theatre without regard to those who want quiet moments below in the lobby. And the animation there goes on in one language right up to 11 p.m.There's a theatre in the next hotel -- that should be enough!
The swimming pools and whirlpools are all monopolized by dozens of kids who by the way stay and eat free up to the age of 12.Incredible!! What happens to the many adults who pay? And where can they go, except the sea? We like the hotel and hope that the problems they face could be addressed. People want to return there but find it difficult to do that if the proper setting is not introduced.

f

Room Tip: Stress the fact that you want a very quiet room, away from any animation or bar music. Ask your Tour Operator to give you the guarantee in WRITING and take it with you. Otherwise don't go.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank senorsdoll
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We just came back from a week in La Romana. We travel a good bit but have never been to the Dominica Republic. We joined the Viva Vacation Club a year ago but due to sudden health issues we have not had a chance to use the vacation club till now. After great thought we decided on a trip to Dominicus Palace and we are so glad we did. It exceeded our expectations. It is true that most of the guests are Italian. In fact, we only met one couple from the US, who happen to be staying close to our room. The employees mostly speak Spanish. We found them to be friendly and they try very hard to communicate to you if you do not know Spanish. I only know a little basic Spanish, but my husband knows more and can communicate pretty well. I have a language translator app on my ipad which I found useful. Our housekeeper, Celeste, was the only one I found that didn’t understand any English. But she was very nice and I used my translator app to talk to her. Celeste would make pretty towel art such as swans & hearts with fresh flower petals almost every day.
Our room was large and beautiful, on a ground floor with a patio. We had a garden view steps from the beach. We had a bottle of wine and fruit on the coffee table when we arrived. Nice touch.
We flew into La Roman Airport which is about a 20 ride to the Palace. We were promptly greeted and taken to the resort. One thing that we didn’t know was that there is a $10 Tourist Fee which you pay when you arrive at the airport and go through customs. We only found out by a couple on our flight that had been to the DR before.
The Dominicus Palace and the Dominicus Beach connect as one resort. We found the restaurants great. I don’t know how there could be any complaints about the food. The breads and pastries were fantastic and they made doughnuts every morning at the buffet. Hmm Hmm Good!!! We ate dinner mostly at specialty restaurants which you need to make reservations for. The couple times we ate at the buffet we found it to have a nice variety. We ate breakfast every morning at the buffet Yucca and our waitress, Rosa, was delightful.
We were told not to drink the water and it was recommended as a precaution not to brush your teeth with the water. Just use the water for washing. We didn’t find it a problem. They provided us with plenty of bottled water every day and you could always get water from the bars or snack areas.
There is a variety of shops. We found the prices very reasonable especially for a resort. There is a salon and gyms.
The grounds are very well manicured and a Horticulturalist dream. The beach is cleaned every night and the chairs nicely arranged in line. There is plenty of beach and chairs, sun and shade for everyone. The sun is intense so be sure to bring sun screen. There are plenty of activities. At night the grounds are beautiful and we enjoyed taking a walk from one end to the other after dinner. The TV had quite a few English speaking TV shows that included Fox News, CNN, TNT, Fox Channel, Lifetime, HBO, ESPN, etc. We were able to watch our favorite shows Criminal Minds and Bing Bang Theory.
One day we went into La Romana with the other American couple we met. The front desk arranged for a cab to pick us up which was $60 for the 4 of us, round trip, and the driver would stay and wait for us. Our driver Gregory, spoke English, was very friendly and told us about La Romana. If you want to venture out to town ask the front desk for Gregory.
I could go on and on about Dominicus Palace and I wish I could show all the pictures I took. We have stayed at other all-inclusive resorts but we think this is one of the best. Our stay turned out to be a pleasant surprise. We look forward to going back.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank ShoreProud
Reviewed March 10, 2013

The resort is a short bus ride from the airport. Our check in was very effecient and quick.
The rooms are clean and have basic ammenities, the beds are hard and the pillows smell. You also need to bring your own wash cloths and kleenex. They only give you two small bottles of water, so make sure you ask for more as you can not use the tap water for rinsing after brushing your teeth. I also soak my toothbrushes in mouth wash after rinsing with tap water.
The grounds on the resort are very tropical and clean. There are two ponds with turtles, fish, ducks and flamingos. Very beautiful but bring insect repelent for misquitos.
The pool near the Palace section is not too big but you can see the ocean from it and there are lots of chairs.
The beach has lots of lounge chairs but the sand is very hard to walk on. It is also very hard to get into and out of the water when you go in the ocean especially if you have bad knees.
The buffet has a very good sellection of food for everyone. I just wish that they would have a smoothie and freshly squeezed juices available for breakfast.
We went to Il Palco restuarant for dinner and the food was amazing, our favourite of the three we tried.
Most of the days we had lunck at the Pizzeria, they have the best pizza there among other food.
Myself and three others booked the Catamaran tour that left from the dock in the resort and we had an amazing time. Well worth the money!
Our stay was good but my priority is swimming in the ocean and I found it too hard to get into and out.If the ocean is a bit rough there is an undercurrent, so I don't think that I will be going back for that reason.
One thing I have to say to people is to please don't forget to tip those people that work so hard in the resorts and please don't leave them loonies and toonies as they can not use them there and the banks won't take them. That is for other countries too.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family