“Survival Guide”

New York City, New York
“Survival Guide”
Reviewed June 8, 2012

FOOD:
-La Terraza food is HORRIBLE. Its the same food every night and has very limited options.The only good thing there is the pizza.
-Atlantis has a nice atmosphere but the food is lacking variety and taste. My shrimp cocktail still had the vein!!! They weren't accommodating when I asked to have a different side other than mashed yuca. Its not worth the extra money.
-La Rocca for dinner had the worst beef I have ever had..I'm not even sure if it was even beef because of the color discoloration and elasticity. There's a serious problem if they can't even cook chicken and beef skewers correctly. I only recommend this place for lunch.
-Viva Mexico has the best food at the resort.

All the restaurants other then La Terraza and La Rocca (lunch) require a reservation made at least a day before which is silly because I noticed that the restaurants that required reservation barely had any people. I mostly ate at the pizzeria because it was convenient and the best food around. Overall the food at this resort is HORRIBLE!!!!!! You would think that a European resort would have really good food but this is not the case at all!!!

ROOMS:
The standard room is bad needs to be updated ASAP. The bathroom ceiling had rust and the tub was discolored. Even the window in the shower had spider webs and dust, obviously has not been cleaned in years. The A/C and toilet have a mind of their own. The toilet flushes on its own and the AC turns on when it wants too. DO NOT FLUSH PAPER IN THE TOILET! I know based on experience that it will flood!

DRINKS:
The drinks are watered down and are served in small cracked plastic blue cups which makes you constantly get up to refill.

BEACH/POOL:
The Beach is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!
The infinity pool was nice but I noticed that the pools had mold on the tiles.

ENTERTAINMENT:
The animation team gets a 5! They are really fun and interact with the guests. The shows are exciting to watch and planned well BUT when they announce countries they didn't even mention USA which is ridiculous because 50 percent of the people there were from U.S.
Best entertainment team I've seen compared to other resorts in D.R.
The party by the pool is fun and they even have an after party at La Locura. If you want a fun place to party this is it!!!! The animation team even goes to the club and dances with guests.

I noticed that the staff caters to europeans A LOT! They go out of their way for them.

EXCURSIONS:
The olympic tour excursion that included zip lining,horse back riding, ATV, go kart, and lobster was a pretty good deal except the lobster was not too big.

NEED TO IMPROVE FOOD AND ROOMS ASAP!!!

Room Tip: Get a room close to the Beach resort and make sure its close to the reception because that's wh...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank OhsoElla25

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (146)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Dominican Republic
Reviewed June 5, 2012

I just came today from the hotel and let me tell you people this is not a 4 star hotel this is a 3 star hotel or bellow. The food was terrible, not beef meet or sea food at all, there were a few Argentinian tourist that we so disappointed because the service was awful. The brinks were poorly made, the glasses of the bar were barely cleaned, the beer smell like rotten and they said it was because the technician did not cleaned well the machine how can that be posible and the difference between the beach dominicus and the dominicus palace was the same, so I paid more to be in the palace for not reason. The room was so old and the bed so uncomfortable, I pay really high price that's why I'm so mad because I always go to Punta Cana I wanted to try La Romana and it ended up been a mess, there are many hotels in punta cana for the same price a lot a lot better !!!
HOy recientemente vine de este hotel, me apena decirlo pero es lo peor que he visitado en los ultimos 4 anos, siempre voy a PUnta Cana pero quise provar la romana, la comida pesima no habia carne de res, ni mariscos, inmaginence todos los argentinos turistas que habian bien enfadados mas que ellos estan acoustumbrados a comer carne de primera. La bebida terrible con decir que en la barra del Palace la cerveza olia a podrido, la respuesta que me dieron fue que las mangueras estaban sucias =0 como puede ser posible eso ??? las habitaciones viejas, no existe diferencia entre el beach y el palace asi que yo pague de mas por gusto, hay muchos mas hoteles en punta cana por el mismo precio mucho mejor.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank RosaMarie12
Texas
Reviewed June 3, 2012

First off this isnt a bad hotel but ,if you do NOT book the flight into LaRomana airport(20 Minutes away) you will incur a 11/2 to 2 hr drive by van on a potholed underconstruction road that will jar any sense out of you. The hotel caters to mostly europeans(owned by Italians) . English is NOT the prevelant language here at all. This isnt bad for the money but we will not come to the LaRomana /Santa Domingo side again. Punta Cana is much better. If you want a drink before 7am, i mean coffee, tea or water ,your out of luck. Nothing till 7am. Beautiful property but a hassle getting here and returning.If you come to Santa Domingo or punta cana always get your tourist(10 Bucks) visa before you get into the immigration line, or your popped out and lose your place in line. No need to convert usa monies to local. Dollars work fine.Bring your own candy bars for snacks as they dont sell any on the property. No swim up bar if thats your thing so over all not a bad place just not a great place. The themed restaurants were typical and I didnt care for any of them. Thats just me. To each their own. We enjoyed ourselves but what is here just isnt enough for us to come here again. I prefer Jamaica, Costa Rica much better.the water is not potable here so you must brush your teeth using water bottle water. You get 4 drinks first day and none after that. wifi kicks you off after 30 minutes ans you must reconnect. A bit cheap cheesy for me. Anyway if you do come enjoy your stay,if not always enjoy where you went. If you need more info read the reviews weigh the pros and cons and make your choice. Happy days to all with a wonderful caribbean sunset!!!

Room Tip: Ask for the 5100 block of rooms to get the wifi in your room or the beach if your inclined for more...
1 Thank navye9
new york
Reviewed May 30, 2012

My daughter (19 yrs old) and I just returned from the Palace and we had a great time. We will return. Although our room was in the Palace we actually spent most of our time at the Beach resort. The Beach resort also has a lovely infinity pool over the beach. If you want to be where the activity is then you can hang out at the beach or by the pool near the Terraza buffet restaurant at the Beach. If you want a more quiet place, then the infinity pool is a good place or the other pool between the beach and the palace. The rooms are not "five" star but the facility itself is excellent and beautiful and all of the workers were absolutely amazing. We did not come across one worker that was rude or unfriendly. The "animation" team is absolutely incredible and work hard day and night to make everyone's stay a lot of fun. They are very interactive with people and try to get folks involved in the daily activities. The same team then puts on a show at 9:00 so for those who said the shows were not good, why don't you try working out in the hot sun all day and then still have the energy to put on a show at night. The shows are not "broadway" shows but they are fine. I'm not an easy person to please when but I must say I was pleased with this place. If there is anything they can improve in it would be in the food. The food was okay, not the best but not awful either. I would definitely suggest making reservation and eating at the Viva Cafe and La Roca, if for nothing else, the ambience. These restaurants are right on the beach so they are quite nice. We had such a great time it was hard to leave and we connected so much with the animation team that we actually had to go and find some of them to say goodbye. Shout out to Franklin from the animation team. We called him Senor Fabulouso and you will see why when you get there. He was really the life of the party at Wyndham.

Room Tip: We stayed at room 5848 with a wonderful view of the beach and somewhat in the middle of the Beach an...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank villamd
Woodstock, Illinois
Reviewed May 29, 2012

We came here on our honeymoon and expected an all-inclusive resort- that is a joke. It was hard to communicate with people, they did not even pretend to care about your concerns. There was one woman at the service desk that was actually very nice and helpful to us- but that was IT. We were at the palace hotel, and under the sink in our bathroom was BLACK mold. We got sick half way through our stay and were confined to the room. The doctor was not a real doctor, didn't listen- actually said I was lying that the iv hurt (I was not, she missed my vein).. and absolutely refused to say our trip was disrupted. We could not leave our room, and were confined for the last 5 days! The construction started so they switched us to an "upgraded" beach front view the last two days. Whoop, they kept asking why we wanted to change rooms- and didn't even get that they TOLD us to! Hello, construction crazy loud banging all day. The new room was just as musty and the beds were harder than concrete! We were very unimpressed with our trip and very sad that we decided to go here for our HONEYMOON! The service was only good at the restaurants, which you are limited to go to. Everything else was just bad. We asked to take out a sailboat, were told it was too choppy just to walk past a couple not even a minute later getting on one! How pissed we were... I would recommend staying in the punta cana area if you do go to the DR and definitely stay away from la romana, especially this hotel.

1 Thank MrsWard12
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 23, 2012

I had never written a review before for any of my vacations, but it was too horrible of an experience that I feel obligated to share my experience with everyone who is considered go to this hotel. We came to La Romana for our honeymoon, I know I shouldn't expect too much from an all-inclusive hotel, but first day after we arrived, the front desk gave us a voucher for two t-shirts for our honeymoon (really? that is it) and an extremely small room that smell very moldy. I can even see ants clawing on the floor. I couldn't stand that moldy smell so I asked them to change it and told them it was my honeymoon that I can't stay in that room for the rest of my days there, they gave us the look like "oh really" like she saw a few couples just like you asking to upgrade their room for faking honeymoon. I want to show her the copy of my marriage certificate in my bag but was disrupted by a lady who also came to complain about her room key for the third time of the day. They finally changed another room for us almost 2 hours later. It was just a lit bit bigger but I was too tired to ask for another change anymore. I do not have much to complain about the food, beach or pools. But if you don't Speak Spanish or Italian, then you will be so disappointed about the service. They can't even make you the right drink. I asked for ice coffee and they didn't know how to make it. I went to get those two honeymoon t-shirts, the guest service gave us only one and said "sorry that was the last one" Are you kidding me? So who is going to wear it? Me or my husband? I rejected the offer and left. They will charge you for using the safe deposit box and during the check out they said they don't have change for us. And ask us to donate the change to charity? I was so angry and asked them to give me back my change they owe me and she gave us a look like we are being so cheap that couldn't even give change to charity. They didn't even know what they did really pi*s me off (we tipped the clean lady 2 dollars every day, tip the taxi driver 10 dollars for every ride, tip few dollars for every tour guys). But we were so angry about the service that didn't want to leave any tips to this hotel. Americans beware of this hotel. You will be treated like cr*p and disrespected. I will go back to La Romana but will never step a foot in that hotel ever again!!

Room Tip: Don't go to this hotel!
4 Thank c z
Reviewed May 23, 2012

for the price is ok. however the food is horrible and they have no dominican food in the hotel. the housekeeping service is horrible. the sheets were not changed every day and had this funny smell since they werent dried properly im guessing the will have this funky humid smell, even if you put the towels in the floor they will fold them nicely and put them again in the rack. there is nothing to do outside the resort since everything is far away. the staff is really nice sometime too friendly they party with you meaning they would go to the club with you which i found awkward. i would recommend to go to punta cana instead its more expensive but better in every aspect. i forgot dont go to the spa its sketchy the ladies are really nice and friendly but the products used are not good quality. Also they do not clean things like the jacuzzi and steaming room.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank Yeyita27
VivaDominicusPalace, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your time by posting your comments regarding your recent stay in our facilities, we apologize that our services have not met your expectations, we respect your opinion as a guest and as we work to improve our services.
We hope that you give us the chance to serve you in the near future.
Best regards,

Customer Care
Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach & Palace
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayahibe
Weare Cadaques Bayahibe Hotel
Casa de Campo Resort & Villas
Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach
Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa
Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus
Catalonia Gran Dominicus

Been to Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace? Share your experiences!