Catalonia Gran Dominicus
- Nice Beach (with "privilege" beach beds,and fruit shakes)
- Buffet food
- nice "privilege" bathroom & room, clean comfortable quiet & modern.
- Free open wifi in all areas (even on the beach 2 meters away from the water)
- half of staff not very smiley and doesn t seem happy to be there
- Night' shows (@10pm) : not professionnal and not really for adult audience.
- people smoking in any area, they should have dedicated smoking areas.
Wifi : i got signal everywhere (beach, restaurant, room, tennis court, reception...). But speed was very variable (Download speed from 0,2 M to 3M, upload from 0,4M to 6M, ping time between 120 ms to 550 ms). In non technical terms, i would say : sufficient for browsing, emails, whatsapp,etc... But Youtube / Skype and other videos related application : you would need more luck for it to work correctly.
Just for the bathroom it's worth it ! (i loved the modern shower).
When checking in we got 1 paper detailing what additionnal items we get in the room from being a "privilege", but half of the items were missing upon arrival. We had to talk to several people from the staff to finally get everything (chair, light, slippers, etc..).
We did not get any information of what benefits (services) we get outside of the room, therefore i'm sure we missed some of it.
What we ve found out ...by ourselves :
-there is a special dedicated beach area for "privilege", with nice beach beds. But since nobody monitor, i did see a few non privilege customers getting there too.
- dedicated restaurant by the beach (we have been once but not impressed by the food)
- dedicated area at the buffet restaurant... you don't get much out of it, except maybe a waiter bringing you some drinks. Food is the same as non privileged anyway.
- unlimited beach towels : we only asked for 2 towels per person, and some days they didn't seem very excited to give it to us. What s the point of being "privileged" then ?
Half of the staff seemed annoyed to work there. They would cut off your path (even with full plate in your hand), not care about refilling an empty drinking machine at the buffet, would redirect you to 5 other people just to get a correctly inflated basket ball (we finally managed to get a basket ball on the 3rd day), we ve seen no staff at all at the sport and fitness area during the whole stay.
Suggestion for the hotel :
- At check in, give customer a complete list of all the benefits of being privileged (not only room benefits).
- have a brochure with all activities at the hotel (detailed activities, with opening hours)
- Have a better display of "today's program" and broadcast it daily to customers through a webpage (since there is already wifi everyhwere, better make good use of it)
I might seem very critical, but i would go there again. My desires when going to the DR is : nice beach, clean quiet comfortable room and lots of food choices.
These requirements were fullfiled.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Catalonia Gran Dominicus is an all-inclusive resort located on the south-east coast of the Dominican Republic and overlooks the white sandy beach of Bayahibe; 25 km. from the famous Caribbean art centre Altos de Chavon and 4.5 km. from the tiny fishing of Bayahibe, close to the Natural Park of the East, home of the biggest remains from the Island's first inhabitants, the Taino Indians; only 30 minutes by boat from Saona and Catalina both wonderful virgin islands. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, BookIt.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, TravelUp, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Hotwire, Cancelon and getaroom.com so you can book your Catalonia Gran Dominicus reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Catalonia Gran Dominicus Hotel Bayahibe
- Catalonia Gran Dominicus La Romana
- Gran Dominicus
- Catalonia Gran Dominicus Dominican Republic/Bayahibe