“The best vacation ever!!”

Catalonia Gran Dominicus
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Bayahibe
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
“The best vacation ever!!”
Reviewed May 24, 2014 via mobile

Definitely coming back here, can't wait. Loved it so much, especially the people there. Miss it more and more everyday. Wasn't too fancy which makes it awesome! Everything was sooooo amazing. No complaints. If your looking for something fancy and classy, this is NOT the place, but if you want a fun, down to earth, amazing vacation, this is exactly what your looking for :))))))

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Beatrice P
grandominicus, Director General at Catalonia Gran Dominicus, responded to this review, May 29, 2014

Roberto Iglesias.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (230)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 22, 2014

Returned from a 4-night stay at this hotel (5/11-15) with 5 of my girlfriends. I found a great deal for the hotel on SkyAuction and decided to go. We had 3 rooms for the 6 of us. I will try to be as clear as possible of the great, the good and the not so good.

The front desk staff was very friendly. We had an issue with our reservation: we had changed our date of check-in and received a confirmation of the new date but the hotel never changed it in their system. So they had us coming in June instead of May. However, they had the voucher with the correct date so we just had to wait about 20 minutes for them to make the adjustment. We were fine with it – it was an honest mistake and they gave us mimosas and drinks while we waiting for them to finish the paperwork. They upgraded our rooms to one of the buildings closest to the beach (Seibo) for our trouble so that was nice. Then off we went.
Room was nice – well appointed and clean. Everything worked well (in fact too well – the AC was freezing!) and the proximity to the restaurants, beach and pool was perfect! The downside to these rooms: they are building another resort right next to it and the construction noise is right outside your room starting around 7am. I wasn’t completely turned off by that but for those who are late sleepers, this might not work for you. They literally start hammering stuff at 7am!
BEACH:
The beach is just lovely! Lots of space whether you wanted to be in the shade or in the sun. Water was great too. Some days had a stronger current but that made wave-surfing that much more fun!
FOOD
It was hit or miss. I am not too picky when it comes to food – I like high-end fancy meals but can also be satisfied with simple but tasty meals. The breakfast at the buffet was always spot-on. I was ALWAYS happy with breakfast. Lunch was also good but dinner seemed to lack selection. I don’t eat pork or beef and some of the evenings, I had a challenge finding a fish or poultry option. We went to both specialty restaurants and they were both really good. The steakhouse had the loveliest salad and the desserts were delicious! The Mexican place was also good – we were very pleased with all of it!

Yes, the WiFi is very spotty – it went in and out the whole time we were there. It is the strongest in the lobby and sometimes we could pick it up on the beach but rarely in our rooms. However, having spent 5 days prior in Santo Domingo and experiencing EXTREMELY sporadic WiFi, the hotel was a welcomed change. However, if you really need a strong WiFi signal, this might not work for you.

Yes, this resort is populated mostly by Europeans and Latin Americans and as a result, all of the staff doesn’t speak English and not all of the events are translated into English. However, the population of English-speaking guests was small so it didn’t surprise me. No, some of the staff did not speak English but why would anyone expect that? Would you visit France or Germany and expect all of the staff to speak English? If so, you might reconsider visiting a Spanish-speaking country for vacation.

ENTERTAINMENT
The shows ranged from horrible to decent. However, the animation team really worked their tails off. They work around the clock and are very friendly. We were having pizza one night late and I wanted coffee. One of the animation team came and sat at the table with us for a bit and when learning I was looking for coffee, literally went and found me a cup, despite the fact that the buffet that served it was closed. Not necessary but it gives you an idea of the dedication of the staff.

Is it the best place I’ve stayed at in the DR? No. But was it worth the money and did the staff really outdo themselves? Absolutely. And for me, I’ll take that over breathtaking resort and crummy service (which I have also had). Definitely worth a visit!

Room Tip: They are doing construction behind the Seibo rooms so we aware!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rashida S

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 6, 2014

Really liked the low-key attitude of this resort--very nice but not fancy! Everything was very adequate except the advertised wifi service. We could Never get wifi in our room or from our balcony--not even in some areas of the resort. When complaining about the awful wifi we were told try another area of the resort...obviously the employees were told NOT to acknowledge the problem, as TripAdvisor had alerted us ahead of time about this issue. However, having said that, the resort itself was lovey and the beach superb! Would definitely return...

Room Tip: wonderful clean beach with crystal clear water
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank patmiller320

chicago
Reviewed May 6, 2014

My sister and I just returned from a 4 night stay at this hotel, and we were very happy with our Privileged Room, our meals (buffet, pizza place, Privileged restaurant on the beach for lunch, mexican restaurant for dinner, and daily visit to the crepe stand). The buffet had plenty of room choices for breakfast (omelettes/eggs to order, great selection of fruit, cuisine to please the various nationalities of the guests, etc.)
Beach was amazing...nice whitish sand, although it was hard sand to walk in. From what we did walk, it seems like the Catalonia's beach far exceeded that of the adjacent Iberostar and the BeLive. We preferred the main part of the Catalonia beach to the Privileged beach section, and had a ball playing in the waves. No problem with getting a recliner on the beach, although the ones at the pool seemed to be occupied (at least by towels) in the afternoon. The grounds were beautiful, and overall the staff was pleasant. Internet service definitely was problematic, although the resort denied there is any type of problem (read the reviews....this is a common complaint), and the Privileged center does have computers for guest use.
It was a rather long drive to/from SDQ (90 minutes). Unfortunately COPA Airlines does not fly into La Romana airport, but we had a nice driver with See More Santo Domingo transfers (booked on our own).
Part of the fun of the La Catalonia was the mix of nationalities and languages...not a lot of American guests. although the staff and most guests spoke English. The resort attracts lots of Europeans (Germans, Italians, Spaniards) and Russians. It was fun to guess where folks were from.
The La Catalonia was just what we needed--a new destination for R&R and an affordable price. I would return.

Room Tip: We booked a Privileged Room, and were located on the top floor of the shopping area. No ocean view b...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Constanta, Romania
Reviewed April 30, 2014

The story of how we've got from privilege to double comfort to standard and back to double comfort is too long and partially is my fault for trusting their reception people who confirmed on the telephone that I was upgraded to privilege. But I was wrong and already got there with a feeling that I will not have a good time.
I've never seen in my life such conditions in a hotel room, maybe I was lucky so far and I can't understand how others can accept these kind of rooms. The pictures will speak for themselves ,proper cleaning is out of question, they use a broom instead of a vacuum cleaner and the sand is still on the floor but the major issue is with the bathroom, I could see dirt stains on the walls and I was afraid that the toilet sign with disinfected did not reflect the reality.
The furniture is very old and out or order, the only new thing in the room was the TV. The standard room has no door to the bathroom and the floor tile was horrifying not to mention the danger in the air conditioning which was full of dust.
The double comfort room had the same furniture but with improvements in the bathroom. I didn't see a privilege room but the position of these types of rooms in the resort has no sense for me. A few of them have a good position (close to the beach and out of noisy area) rest are either nearby the restaurant which makes a terrible noise because of the ventilation system, in the opposite side of the resort sharing a common fence and noise with a new resort which is now under construction or close to the reception and very far from the beach but close enough to the employees building.
The food is good, the people are nice (reception is not in this category, I got the telephone hung up twice and the attitude also was inappropriate just for the fact that he didn't speak correctly English and I couldn't understand so he had to repeat) and the beach is beautiful.
The entertainment on the beach and pool was nice but nothing special from the other resorts where we went.
Adding on top of everything the nightmare trip to Saona that we booked with GriGri divers which have an office on hotel's beach I can easily say that I will never go back not even if it will be for free and located in their best room ever. We were taken to a filthy beach - Catuano, and kept there for 5 hrs, robbed for 150 usd for 2 adults and a 4 year old child from which we were refunded 50 usd after making a complaint to Mr Roberto and accused that we agreed with the rest of the group to cheat them and have the wonderful excursion for free. I will rank this separately but I had to mention it here as it was part of the experience all the tourists can get from this hotel.
Sadly, my long waited vacation was a ruined by all above mentioned inconveniences.

Room Tip: Privilege rooms in the middle of the resort are the only ones quieter.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank georgiana c
Binghamton, New York
Reviewed April 27, 2014

My husband and I usually don't do resorts, but since I am 7 months pregnant we figured it was a safe and easy option. We really loved our time at Catalonia. We upgraded to privileged (which isn't necessary but the room was nice!) and took advantage of the coffee machine in the room. The food was great overall. We loved the buffet especially at breakfast time. The pizza at the Italian place at lunch or late night was great. We enjoyed being served at the theme restaurants and most of the food there was fantastic. Even when my main dish was extremely and unsafely undercooked at the streak house, it didn't matter because I just grabbed a snack at the buffet later. My husband said there drinks were strong and there was a good variety and I really enjoyed the juice bar by the privileged beach and the crepe bar on the other side. We saw the shows every night and only liked one of them (the dancing one) so it wasn't great, but staff overall was very entertaining and helpful. The beach is beautiful, there is a ton to do there and we were never bored. I took one star away due to issues booking our return transfer through Amstar and the front desk not being super helpful, the people selling time shares and not receiving all of the privileged perks (turn down service, robes, slippers). These weren't big deals to us so we still had a great beautiful time!

Room Tip: We heard privileged rooms were closer to the beach, but we were in the main office. The walk wasn...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Crystal Lake, Illinois
Reviewed April 27, 2014

I took my husband on this trip to celebrate his 30th birthday from April 4th-9th. The grounds are immaculate and very well kept. Our room had a few hiccups such as the toilet would run non stop unless you jiggled the handle and pushed it up a bit and the lock for the door got stuck so we couldn't shut our door without it blowing back open but the staff resolved that IMMEDIATELY! Staff was very attentive and always smiling and willing to help. The food is okay nothing too special, I would definitely try to eat at the restaurants every night instead if at all possible.The beach is breath taking and the snorkeling is even better! We saw all sorts of fish and even an eel. We made it a habit to try snorkeling every day since you were bound to see something different each time. Also, there is a little bar close to the beach where they make nutella filled crepes and other types as well which are fantastic. The sunsets are absolutely breathtaking if you sit near the pier or on the beach facing the lighthouse bar.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Roberto Iglesias.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayahibe
Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa
Dreams Dominicus La Romana
Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana
Melia Caribe Tropical
Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa

Been to Catalonia Gran Dominicus? Share your experiences!