“Very friendly atmosphere”

Catalonia Gran Dominicus
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Bayahibe
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We had a very pleasant vacation in this location. Although we had the worse vacation start ever due to the American Airlines incompetence, all that was wiped out during the 10 days stay in this hotel. The rooms are a little bit outdated, but we stayed most of the time outside. The bathroom is not so great. But, the beach is clean and the palm trees are awesome, the sea fantastic, without rocks only smooth sand. A true corner of paradise. The food was plenty and very good especially at the Italian restaurant. But the best thing in this resort is the entertainment / animation. The animation crew is fantastic all the girls and boys are very good especially Beba, Joan, Yuly etc. Their shows we're really good and also the animation during the day and their friendly way to approach the tourists. Also the people at the bar we're good and from the reception, they we're all very helpful. The gardens are very well kept and they are full of spectacular tropical plants and trees, really beautiful. So I strongly recommend this place, but don't expect to much from the rooms but from the outdoor.

Room Tip: The upper rooms are better in terms of view and safety.
1  Thank Turista2011054
Write a ReviewReviews (6,404)

Reviewed August 16, 2013

I really really loved the hotel. Considering the price (the lowest I've found), I was surprised to discover how much the hotel has to offer - different restaurants, sport activities all day long (water aerobics, step aerobics, beach football & volley, and many other), great animation until 2am... Just wonderful! The only thing I didn't like is the bathroom - very old and cleaned with tons of bleach. Don't get me wrong - it's clean, just not friendly. But who cares - at an amazing beach on the Caribbean and facility full with tons of entertainment, I easily let go. Would go back there with pleasure :) Ah, yes, and the stuff - super funny & friendly!

Room Tip: The animation, meaning dancing goes on until 2 am so the closest the room to the reception, the less...
1  Thank Evelina A
grandominicus, Director General at Catalonia Gran Dominicus, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear guest,

we appreciate your nice comments about our hotel on TripAdvisor.

We are going to send your greetings to our entertainment department.

On the other hand, we are glad to inform you that nowadays we are in the process of remodeling several rooms (including the bathroom) in our hotel.

We are delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to be welcoming again in a near future.

Iván Cunillera.

Reviewed August 14, 2013 via mobile

First of all the environment was beautiful. The beach was amazing. Everyone working there were very polite and nice saying hi with a smile every time they saw us. The people who put on the dance shows and all that worked very hard and were very lovely. I cant remember names but al of the animation and entertainment team were very nice and awesome. Id like to thank them all and thank you for this beautiful experience. I love it!!!

Reviewed August 13, 2013

2  Thank Zaynmalikhazel
Reviewed August 13, 2013

Privilege a must! Terrace restaurant at lunch on the beach priceless! Food normal but well presented, Crepes near the beach with a coco loco incredible! Going to snorkel with my kid has no price! The Beach beautiful...the worst: Pool need diamond bright, its broken in a lot of areas and weekend to much people, people can come with no room, they pay for a one day pass and make a mess in all areas.

Dear guest,

we appreciate your comments about our hotel on TripAdvisor.

I will share with my teammates your positive opinion about our crepes, coco-loco cocktail and the beach.

We are glad to know that you and your family enjoy our Privileged Service and the launch at Terrace Restaurant near the beach.

Thanks for your tips that will help us to improve our service.

We look forward to welcome you again in a near future.

Ivan Cunillera.

Reviewed August 12, 2013

This is an International family destination hotel with vacationers from all over the world speaking every language (France, Italy, Germany, Spain, etc.) with lots of diversity. We booked this 7 day trip through Living Social and Apple Vacations, so we got a lot of vacation for the money: nonstop round-trip AirTran flight, free transportation from airport to hotel, all-inclusive with upgrade to privileged everything including a renovated room near the pool. The concierge was always helpful and had several things fixed in our room after we arrived and expressed our concerns. The pool got very crowded on Saturday when many locals got day passes. Very friendly entertainment staff with lots of music, dancing and aerobics!

Room Tip: Ask for non-smoking as their are plenty of smokers, hot water can go off when you least expect it du...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank David H

Dear guest,

thank you for your comments on TripAdvisor.

We appreciate your positive opinion about our Concierge and Entertainment department.

We hope to have another chance to serve you.

Ivan Cunillera.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

extremely dirt. I was in a "privileged" room giving privileged access to the best spots of the village. Well I had the privilege to sit on birds poop , to have birds eat at the main buffet inside the buffet platters and poop in them.My kids were disgusted to have a lot of birds poop on the chairs, we asked the servants to clean and they just smiled at us and left the dirt where it was
glasses are NOT washed. Sometimes they never rinse a glass with somebody else' s juice, they throw away juice and fill it with the coke you ordered. They do not hide, the village is dirt. I got sick as well as my kids. My body is covered by erythema and boils and a lot of people have diarrhea in the village. food is disgusting and compared to other structures of the area very poor quality. I have a lot of ants in the room , unless we never had any food or drink in the room. Fire ants bite us during the night. After 10 days of nightmare I decided to make my vacation shorter and go home. Beach is beautiful, however the same birds eating at the buffet have their nest in the umbrellas at the beach and my kids had poop on their head while playing under the umbrella. Unless the structure could be really nice , the management is a complete failure. It is not my first time in Santo Domingo which I believe is a paradise. but is the first time I am so sick and disgusted on this island! pick another hotel you deserve better in your vacation.

4  Thank cathyuk4