“An average experience - was hoping for more.” 3 of 5 bubbles

Catalonia Gran Dominicus
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Bayahibe
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
New York City, New York
“An average experience - was hoping for more.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 21, 2013

I'll start off by saying that we did have a good time. The shows and the activities were not really to our tastes but it was all in good fun and the staff was always giving it their best effort.

The beach? Amazing! We just got back and it wasn't a very crowded resort - it must be off season. The guy that spoke with my father said that the week we were there the number of guests was around 300 and on the weekend, with the locals coming to visit with day passes the number doubled to around 600. Still - not that crowded. Which we were happy with.

The food? Eh. I'm not a foodie or a food snob. I've had my share of cultural cuisine so I can appreciate almost anything and I pretty much like anything but the food was really not that great. Coming from a person like me, that's saying something. Though the pizza bar by the beach was great. The pizza wasn't that good but when you're starving and have just spent hours in the ocean and the sun....it's pretty much the most amazing food on earth.
The buffett had ENDLESS variety and I think they really knocked breakfast out of the park. I think that was the best meal they had. The Rodeo Steakhouse had a really good burger as well. I did get sick on the trip - most likely from the food as I barely drank -I should say that i've been home for 6 days now and I'm still suffering gastric distress.....to say the least. Not fun.

Priveleged upgrade? Everyone says it's worth it and maybe it is. We weren't very happy with the room (more on that below) but we got use out of the priveleged beach restaurant (for Priveleged only) and used the private section of the beach every day. BEACH BEDS!!!! Awesome. And Priveleged conceirge was amazing. The staff pretty much went above and beyond there - all of them. And I would know because my impossible to please father was bugging those poor people every day. LOVE THEM!

The rooms? This is where I can't be very nice - sorry Catalonia. The bedding smelled like vomit. It was intense mildew, but still....the smell was so strong it turned our stomach. We had to complain and they changed our bedding. The smell was still strong. So we put towels down on our pillows so we could sleep at night. 1/2 way through the week they changed the bedding again and it was improved. Cockroaches, cockroaches, cockroaches. We killed about 4-5 every night and saw more. It was absolutely disgusting. We never had food in our room either. We spoke with some other guests before we requested to move rooms and they said they had the same problem and they were also in priveleged suites. Yea - not good.

Security - 5 stars! The housekeeping staff was so lovely and polite. We really enjoyed talking to them. My dad left his wallet out, stuffed with cash, almost every day on the dresser and it went untouched. His passport too (he's not the smartest). Would I recommend doing this? NO - but it's good to know that if you do you most likely will not have a problem.

So...overall - did I have a good time? Yes. But I wouldn't stay here again. It's a fair-priced hotel and maybe they're doing the best they can but it's just not enough.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank vsmin
grandominicus, Director General at Catalonia Gran Dominicus, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear guest,

thank you for the review of our hotel on TripAdvisor.

We regret not having been able to fulfill your expectations and we would like to ensure you that

We are glad to know that you enjoyed our Pizza bar and our Buffet. We appreciate you nice comments about our beach and we are going to share your comments with our Concierge/Privileged and Security team.

On the other hand, nowadays we are in the process of remodeling several rooms in our hotel.

We hope you will honor us with a visit in the near future to show the quality of service that you expect.

Yours sincerely,
Iván Cunillera.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (225)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Providence, Rhode Island
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

Upon arriving the lobby staff was very friendly and courteous. Once checking in the bag courier escorted us to our room in the back of the hotel, this room had a very strong mold smell. We asked to change our room the staff was very accommodating the next day. Once we arrived in our next room, the next day the room was very nice room updated features the only problem it was infested with mosquitoes. We once again changed our room finally three changes later we received a very nice room. Overall the hotel is average food was ok. On Nov 8, 2012, I was swimming by the pool and had the most terrifying experience a little boy was laying on the bottom of the pool and after a few minutes, I realized he was drowning. I called out for my friend to come over and grab him out of the pool we had to administered CPR, I ran for help from one of the staff members after a few minutes they understood we were in need of medical assistance they ran the little boy to the medical center on the grounds at the hotel. My opinion there should be lifeguards at the pool to watch the children while swimming. The little boy life was saved due my responses come to find out the little boys mother was in the room sleeping. After this, I think it would have been nice for a manager to come over and at least thank us for the efforts we put forth that day. I received no feedback this was in addition on my birthday my friend had ordered a cake in which we were charged. A little gratitude of my efforts would have been nice. I saved a little boys life on your grounds and received no thank you.

Room Tip: choose the upgraded room
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank angie p
Cary, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2013

We took a recent trip and were pleasantly surprised with the service. Eketrina and Bourio ( from privilege lounge) were tremendous help. Only suggestion I will make is to same type of staff at the front desk. Check out was not a great experience but they were busy I will give the that. Otherwise everything was awesome. Sous chef and viya from entertainment staff were very attentive. I think anyone who is traveling to Punta Cana should stay here because when you are traveling to a foreign country you need people who are helpful and caring. We will definitely come back again. And just a suggestion book privilege it is just an extra money but benefits are tremendous.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank CaryHGI x
grandominicus, Director General at Catalonia Gran Dominicus, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Dear guest,

first of all we would like to thank you for your comments.

We are going to send your greetings to Ekaterina and Braulio from Privileged department, our entertainment staff and our Sub-chef Rafa.

We look forward to welcome you soon.

Kind regards,
Hlohovec
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

We spent 2 weeks in the Catalonia Gran Dominicus resort in May. We can recommend it to vacationers looking for beautiful beaches, exceptionally good food and a pleasant atmosphere filled with Latin-American beats. Lodging is modest, but clean and well maintained in a beautiful location resembling a botanical garden. All inclusive services include breakfast, lunch and dinner in the main restaurant, and each evening is devoted to a variety of international cuisines. Breakfast includes various fresh fruit juices. In addition, an Italian restaurant, a bar and a beach bar are open all day. The beach bar serves delicious coffee and crepes. In the evening you can have an a la carte dinner (no reservations needed) at Mexican and Italian restaurant and a steak house. The resort personnel is very friendly and professional animators teach salsa, merenge and hip-hop on the beach. Every night there are dance performances in an amphitheater and dancing in the main bar or at a disco. You can play ping pong, rent a kayak for free or take a diving class for a fee. The resort also provides good activities for kids. During our stay we took a trip to Santo Domingo that we purchased from a German tourist representative and a catamaran trip to the island Saona that we purchased from Andres in the store No.5 near the beach. We enjoyed both trips. The weather was good even through it was off-season, and the occasional mild rain was refreshing. We can definitely recommend a vacation in this resort, and we would also like to thank waiter Santo for his excellent service - greetings from Slovakia Santo!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Katarina T
grandominicus, Director General at Catalonia Gran Dominicus, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Dear Guest,

we appreciate your nice comments about our hotel on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to be welcoming again in a near future.

Santo sends you greetings.

Jersey City, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2013

I went to the resort from June 7th to the 9th. When we arrived the front desk staff was very friendly, even when we couldn't provide an ID (we were staying in a house in Santo Domingo and didn't think we'd need the IDs). The rooms were very clean, nice and stocked with towels, though we barely spent any time there; only sleep and shower for the night.

The pool and beach were gorgeous and clean and the bar had a big selection to choose from. I'd like to point out that the resort seems to cater to Europeans (specifically French and Italian) which is why the majority of them did not speak English but French. We didn't have a problem with the language since all but one in our group spoke Spanish.

Every single one of the staff was amazing, the ones that do the show at night and activities during the day are beyond great, they really made us feel at home and boyyy can they dance.

Our only problem was with the fact that there were people smoking everywhere, specially around the bar before and after the show. Two of the people in my group get allergies from this so it was a problem but since it was allowed there was nothing we could do. Also, the AC was leaking so we had a puddle of water greet us at the entrance. But overall it was a great experience and im really looking forward to going again.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Marydeliaaa
grandominicus, Director General at Catalonia Gran Dominicus, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Dear guest,

we appreciate your comments about our hotel on TripAdvisor.

We thank you for your opining that remarks our beach, pool, bar, cleaning and our animation and reception staff.

We reviewed all rooms periodically so we're going to take notes about de AC.

We are delighted to note that we fulfilled your expectations and we look forward to be welcoming you again in a near future. Thanks for recommending our hotel

Newark, Delaware
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

This trip was a long weekend, the last Hoorah before our son leaves for the Navy.
This was our first trip to Catalonia Gran Dominicus, our 4th trip to the Dominican Republic. The resort was AMAZING! Service was spectacular, food was delicious and so many options. By far the BEST Mojitos we have ever had! The Grounds are perfectly manicured, a great view from any angle. The rooms were clean, the bed was comfy, WIFI was ok on most days, but you are on vacation...need more go to the computer area...I was able to Skype my daughter several times a day, even from the bar by the pool! The staff was very pleasant, and worked really hard to keep everyone happy. The Animation group was adorable! This resort is mainly visited by Europeans, but many Americans do too, loved the diversity. My Hubby played pool with guys from the Ukrane, Brazil and Germany, he had a blast! Pool and Beach were clean, and super enjoyable! Did I mention the food? yumm! Pizza was SUPER delish! We ate at the buffet most times, but did have dinner at the Rodeo steak house, steak and lobster, Yeah! For sure recommending to my friends and family, would visit again for sure!! Thank you Domingo, Estanly, Edward, Jose and Santo for being great bartenders, and super accommodating. Oh and for those of you traveling to DR for the first time, remember all inclusive is great, but if you tip just a bit, the service is ALWAYS better, they don't earn much, so they will appreciate your tip with great service!

Room Tip: if you like quaint and clean, stay in a regular room they are adorable, want fancy? upgrade
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank NatyMR
grandominicus, Director General at Catalonia Gran Dominicus, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear guest,

thank you for your excellent comments about our hotel.

I will share with my teammates your positive opinion about our grounds, facilities, rooms, food, mojitos, beach, pool and our service specially our animation team and bartenders staff.

We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and look forward to welcome you very soon.

We are going to send your greetings to Domingo, Santo, Estanly, José and Edward.

Bettendorf
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

FYI - This is a 45 min cab/bus ride from the Punta Cana airport -

For an all inclusive hotel at this price point it was all right, there were only a few things that the hotel could improve on-
1. No Hot water 50% of the time.
2. WiFi was terrible, couldn't even download emails.
3.The Staff was not very well versed in English, so communicating was tough for someone who took Spanish 20 years ago.
4. The rooms were very postdated and the bathrooms could use some serious cleaning, dirty tub tiles, shower curtains.
5. The food at the buffet could use a little help, there were some very quality dishes but sometimes the food was cold.
6. TV - only 3 channels that were english- CNN, FOX News, BBC.

The Good things -
1. The Beach - pretty and well kept
2. The Theme resteraunts - good food and service.
3. The grounds were pretty and well kept

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jdub24
grandominicus, Director General at Catalonia Gran Dominicus, responded to this review, July 5, 2013
Dear guest,

we appreciate your comments about our hotel on TripAdvisor that helps us to improve.

I will share with my teammates your positive opinion about our theme restaurants, beach and grounds.

On the other hand we confirm that we have 32 english channels.

We would like to ensure you that we take all your comments very seriously and share them with our staff in order to improve.

We hope to have another chance to serve you.

Iván Cunillera.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayahibe
Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa
Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana
Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa
Melia Caribe Tropical
Catalonia Bavaro Beach, Casino & Golf Resort

Been to Catalonia Gran Dominicus? Share your experiences!