“2013”

Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Bayahibe
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed June 5, 2014

Is a very nice hotel to relax and forget about everything, I love the faro bar is great to have a bar by the beach, also the animation staff are excellent, they do great job entertaining the tourist , I loved it

Room Tip: Second floor
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Rosamu

Reviewed June 3, 2014

Everything was perfect during our stay in Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus. Thanks for everything especially to the Guest service, to Rodolfo :) He made our anniversary unforgettable. All staff in the hotel are so friendly and helpful for all manner. Star friends, you are not only entertainers but also professionals. You should definitely see the night shows. I learned there, their tradition in DR is to make their guests comfortable. We felt and lived that tradition. I love Dominican Republic people so much, thanks for their real smiling faces and friendly attitudes.

4  Thank Fatih K
Reviewed June 3, 2014

Nice experience apart from some minorities like insufficient spa service and poor fitness center. But the food, the cleanliness of the hotel, the friendliness of the staff were excellent. The hotel obviously worth the money you've paid for it.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Nadezhda C
Reviewed May 27, 2014

We had a wonderful stay at the Iberostar Resort for five nights near the end of May.
Items to note:

SCUBA: We did two dives with Dressel Divers. I had seen other reviews about other dive operations being cheaper but we decided to go with the onsite company. Although there may be a slight monetary difference, the convenience made up for it! Especially that you could keep your equipment there overnight to dry with no worries! There wasn't much to see during the dives but we still enjoyed ourselves. Our favorite was Park Reef and we received great service from Selina.

The Beach: The artificial reefs are great to snorkel for fish. We filled water bottles with bread to feed the fish and had a nice time. Unfortunately, the second time we went the waves kept most fish away and we got a bit sea sick. Make sure to watch the weather for good times to go.

The Food: I travel with a VERY picky eater who is allergic to seafood and we normally aren't fans of buffets. This is the first time we LOVED the buffet, food was GREAT. We would be waiting outside the gate for the buffet to open to receive fantastic fresh food. Also received TERRIFIC service from Jhonny in the buffet. We made reservations at the steakhouse one night, but decided we enjoyed the buffet better, and did not get sick of it.

The Drinks: Drinks were very average, the only beer served was El Presidente. The bar in the lobby has champagne though!

The Safe: We weren't charged $2 a day for the use of the safe and were told the cost was waived.

The Room: The room was average what you would expect for an all inclusive. We requested building 4 but were placed in 3. Overall, we were happier in 3 as it was more central and right next to the pool.

The Landscaping: We have been to the Aura in Cozumel, Jewel Paradise Cove in Jamaica, Valentin Imperial Maya in Playa Del Carmen, and Excellence in Punta Cana and this was the most beautiful resort of them all in my opinion (Excellence is a close second). I loved seeing the wild life around the resort.

The Resort: This is the first time we have stayed at a resort that allowed children. There was a difference ambiance to the resort but we noticed most children were very well behaved and did not affect us at all. I was worried I'd see children chasing the wild life, but did not witness this once. Also, as other reviewers have mentioned, the vendors came into the resort Tuesday evening. This was a bit annoying as NOWHERE was safe from them. You get to the point where you don't make eye contact and ignore them.

Negatives: Our one complaint was the amount of smokers. The resort was mostly European (I think we were the only two Americans there) and we noticed that smoking was anywhere/anytime. We would use the WiFi in the lobby once or twice a day and find ourselves continually relocating as people near us lit cigarettes. Same for the beach, pool, basically everywhere. There was definitely a language barrier as we only heard a few people speaking English during our stay although the staff accommodated us as best they could.

4  Thank JDOandJBA
Reviewed May 25, 2014

This was our tenth stay at Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus. Upon arrival, we were first greeted by the Bell staff, who remembered us by name. Jose genuinely seemed happy to see us. After hugs all around, we proceeded to the reception desk where we were received by Antonia.
Antonia proceeded to check us in with no delay to a room in the building that we had requested. As we filled out the registration, a very nice rum punch was delivered to us. We were then shuttled to our room with our luggage via cart by Jose.
The room was immaculate. We unpacked, set the room safe combination and we were on vacation!
During our stay we were greeted warmly by all the staff, including the General Manager, Mr. Amando Puzo. We saw him numerous times during our stay and he was very friendly and said that we could contact him if we had any concerns or needs that were not met. (This did not happen as everything was simply great!)
Maid Service (Adalaida) was excellent. Bar Service was excellent. Star Friends were funny and entertaining. The Watersports staff and Dressel Diving staff were wonderful as always. The hotel grounds were beautiful.
At the end of our stay everyone asked when we would be returning. The experiences that we have had at the Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus are such that it is my "second" home.
While maintaining the infrastructure of a large all inclusive resort (not an easy task), the management of Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus has been able to find the secret of running a successful enterprise. The attention of all staff members was always geared toward the guests comfort and enjoyment. This will always result in guests returning and recommending the resort to their friends. My thanks for an enjoyable holiday.

6  Thank Bruce M
Reviewed May 25, 2014

I have just returned today from staying at this hotel and had a lovely time.

The hotel is stunning with fountains all around, the gardens beautiful, the rooms relaxing and the staff are an absolute credit to the establishment. The peacocks and flamingos in the grounds (how fancy) just gave an air of how well maintained and stunning this backdrop is.

The pool did look inviting, although I am very much a beach person, but there always seemed to be plenty of places to sit and relax. The only complaints in this department are very small and niggles that hardly seem worth mentioning. It would be nice for there to be a non smoking area of the beach. My ideal holiday is to lie in the sun, getting a lungful of fresh air and listening to the waves. It just wasn't very nice to be taking it all in and then breathing in someone else's fumes (but that is just me, I get quite sensitive to smoke). And the second is just the loud activities on the beach. I always put the whole loud speakers and dancing thing as a poolside activity (probably why I always retreat to the beach for peace and quiet), so it can sometimes just get a bit loud and lively on the beach. Like I say, it is not really a problem, but I went to both ends of the beach and couldn't get away from the noise.

Regarding food, I am not the best person to comment being such a fussy eater so take what I say with a pinch if salt. I don't really get wowed by food, but I managed to find something I could eat each day and I really do want to sing the praises of the staff in the buffet restaurant. Their faces must ache with how much they smile, they are lovely people and nothing is too much trouble for them. I don't normally name people, but in this occasion, Maria Elena really was fantastic (as you walk into the buffet restaurant, sit to you right as you go through the door, this is her area). I must say she is a credit to the hotel!

The rooms are lovely, the minibars are filled apparently every other day, but I did find that it was everyday (maybe leaving a small tip helped? I don't know). There is also an ice machine in the building you can go and fill a cooler with to help keep your drinks cool in the room, a lovely touch.

Again, the only things I could mention for improvement are the number if plug sockets available (they are US plug sockets for info). I had to unplug a coffee machine and lamp so I could use the sockets. Also, there is a large tv in the room, but thought this could easily be replaced by a music docking station which would probably suit more people.

The safes in the rooms are $2 per day, but I do think in the day and age, it should be free and included in the total price. The free wifi in reception is usually very good.

On Tuesdays, the hotel has vendors come into the grounds on an evening, I think from about 5pm onwards. They are very friendly nice people, but it gets a bit tiresome being approach after every few steps by someone wanting to sell you something. I'm sure you have already notice by the above, but I like a quiet life. I suppose if you want to avoid all of that, maybe arrange to go to the steakhouse on the Tuesdays to avoid the hassle of it?

With regards to currency, I took Dominican Pesos and American dollars and both were accepted fine. You will obviously need the $10 to get in the country and $20 to leave, but other than that, either currency was fine in my experience. And if you are looking at excursions with Thomas Cook, they advertise those rates in dollars too. I have brought back a copy if the excursions list and prices so if you are interested and want to know anything, just drop me a message.

All in all, it was a great holiday and if you have already booked, I know you will have a wonderful time.

Room Tip: All blocks seem fine, block 4 is closest to the beach, but there really isn't a lot in it. Also...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
9  Thank Natasha D
Reviewed May 19, 2014

Great views, clean rooms, fantastic staff but I didn't like the food and was excited to go home for a good meal. The food lacked flavor. No variety either-lettuce, cabbage, onions, tomatoes, corn and potatoes were basically all of the vegetables. But the seafood (and el colonial restaurant) were good.

2  Thank Silhouettedust
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayahibe
Casa de Campo Resort & Villas
Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa
Catalonia Gran Dominicus
Dreams Dominicus La Romana
Iberostar Bavaro Suites
The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana

Been to Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus? Share your experiences!