“Unas Maravillosas Vacaciones”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
London, United Kingdom
“Unas Maravillosas Vacaciones”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2014

Had a 2-week stay at the Iberostar Hacienda at the beginning of January 2014 and had a most wonderful holiday. Lovely beech (although a bit crowded) but this meant the pool (which was huge) was very quiet and relaxing in the morning - games were held later in the afternoon for those who wished to participate. If you didn't, you were left alone. The pool was cleaned every morning. The main buffet restaurant had a wide selection of food at lunch and dinner - you would have to be an extremely fussy eater not to find something you liked! There were also 4 other restaurants, Japanese (my favourite), Gourmet (delicious), Mexican (ok) and a Steakhouse (wasn't so keen on this only because the steaks were so big it was just too much! Am not complaining, just saying! The service in all the restaurants was absolutely fantastic and nothing was too much trouble. They also had a wine list, so if you didn't want their house wine you could order something else. The rooms were comfortable and very clean and quiet. The gardens and surrounding areas were wonderful and each block had its own (different) garden all attended to daily. The animation team were the best I have ever encountered. They were so cheerful, helpful and generally intertaining. My husband is learning Spanish and attended the Spanish lessons with Eliezer by the pool every morning. Eliezer really helped him and spoke to him all the time in Spanish, as did the other members of the team in the bar in the evenings - Lenny and Derlin. They work a really long day 10.00 to 01.00 but are always smiling - they really made our holiday. The hotel is suitable for couples young and old and families. I wouldn't normally return to any hotel but I definitely would this one! Highly recommend it. My favourite part of the day - sitting at the beech bar with a Pina Colada watching the sun set.......

Room Tip: Make sure you have a room that doesn't overlook the pool if you like an afternoon siesta!
2 Thank PaulaL831

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (487)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
East Longmeadow, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2014

Had a great time at Iberostar Hacienda in Dominican Republic. The weather was perfect, great beach, good food and nice service. Was a bit crowded, 95% Europeans who didnt speak much English and littering on the beach. I have to compliment hotel staff for being patient and pleasant!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

3 Thank love2travel232
Longueuil, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2014

Aerobic Activity - Pool and beach
This activity is not directed to a precise clientele , people old and young people take a different rate to apply movimoientos . Result: few people follow this activity.
To improve and involve a large majority of people, they should make an aerobic adapted for persons 45 to 65 years, another for youth.
We have asked that training lead animators for this activity?

Games - Billiards
We went to play pool and when we asked for the material , we were not given all the necessary equipment to properly play ; was missing the bridge cue , chalk and triangle and the cues were damaged . A suggestion: To have the same card system as for the beach towels. A better control over the material + people would be more careful when borrowing the material.

Pétanque .
On the beach balls to play petanque but the cochonnet which is a fundamental element of the game , was not at the disposal of customers.
Thus, some people used the balls for weight throwing. This is dangerous because there are children and older people that can walk by.
Game animation is for archery and aerobics only? Pétanque, volleyball, darts and others were unattended.

The environmental system - Sandy
At the beach , everyone can smoke everywhere. Because there is no smoking section!
In the theater: Entertainment every night has separate sections thus one reserved for smokers.
Another important thing , at the beach , there are only ashtrays where places are equipped with bamboo umbrellas . All those not located in those areas had cigars and cigarette buts in the sand.

SPA
The Spa is a place of relaxation and serenity. However, we noticed people coming in with alcoholic beverages in the sauna and Jakuzzi making noise. Without anyone mentionning that the spa is a relaxation area .
The floor in the saunas is not regularly cleaned. The accumulated water in the ceramic make’s the floor extremely dangerous with beach sandals. No surveillance !

Respect for the animals introduced in the resort area
People were coming out of the dinning room and feeding the birds and turtles by throwing left overs (bread, fruit…) into the pond. Although signs had been put up,people like you do it anyway. It would be important that the person who monitor the in and outs of the restaurants get involved . The result is that the animals get all kinds of foods unsuitable for them and the water becomes polluted.

Library
This is a space unused 1) There is a negligible amount of books.
2) In the library, are also tables to play cards
How can you integrate a place to read quietly and a card playing space (obviously is not played in silence).
We have seen people play cards in the " mill " (area for aperitif , coffee and others).
In that case, why not put card tables there?

Thematic meals
At the buffet " Wit " they introduce thematic foods ( Mexican, Japanese, etc. . ) It would be nice to have a Dominican Thematic in order to inform users about natural and local products of the country ... and why not, a loop with some books on the Dominican Republic that could be available in the library.

Loyalty card .
We thought the hotel chain Iberostar should create a loyalty card for customers who stay each year for a minimum of 2 consecutive weeks. It would be a privilege card .

We want to communicate the name of certain people from different sections of the hotel for their excellent work , we got a high- quality and professional staff. Buffet" Wit " - Chef Julian - Waiters : Deivi , Waskar and Milqueya - In " The mill " : Alejandrina – the room maintenance staff ( section 5) : Dominga and Celesta .
The reception : Antonia and Oscar .

Room Tip: If you are quite people, select section 5.
3 Thank Roque C
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2014

Just returned home with my wife to the Canadian cold and a major snow storm, after spending a week at this beautiful, relatively small resort, which caters mostly to non-English speaking guests (as all the other resorts from La Romana area). I am a frequent Caribbean traveler, first time Iberostar guest. Very nice, wide, sandy beach, with lots and lots of palapas. Even around the swimming pools, the palapas are the choice instead of umbrellas. Nice touch. 90% of the guests prefer the beach to the swimming pools, so if you want a "prime location" beach palapa you have to be there at 7 am. The El Ingenio buffet restaurant is spectacular with great quality and choice, for all tastes. You can make three reservations to the a la carte restaurants, if you stay for a one week. We tried the Japanese tepanyaki style La Geisha and the gourmet El Colonial. I will rate the Geisha as good, and the Colonial as very good. The snack bar La Sombrita surprised us a couple of times, with great paella, with plenty of lobster, mussels and fish, made right on the beach, over wooden fire pits. The service and responsiveness in the resort is excellent overall, including bars, restaurants, beach and rooms. For those interested in snorkeling, there is a man-made chain of blocks, placed parallel with the beach, close to the swimming area limit. Lots of fish will follow you as soon as you get close to the area. A bit of bread will make them eat out of your palm. And here is my bad experience:
I was sailing a catamaran from the Dive Center and it tipped over. Over 10 minutes later, after drifting away, and was swimming in distress, a boat, which has been at the dock at all times, showed up and, the guy ask me, with sign language, to help him drag the catamaran back to the shore. I did. The Dive Centre charged me $39, for “towing” me back to the shore, which was the fee, I was told, I signed for, if I was brought back to the shore dead or alive. Before I took the catamaran,the first time, I asked for a basic sailing refresher, including safety, and was told that they do it only if I pay. They are actually happier when people is getting in distress situation, so they can make the easy “tow” money, as the Dive Centre manager called it (I was told his name is Fred, and has a French accent). My attempts to talk to the Hotel Manager, Amando Pozo failed. He was “too busy” to talk to a customer, and sent people, who, due to language barrier, or just incompetence, wasted my beach time in four different occasions, including his Assistant, Francisco Emiliano, who seemed to be in such a hurry, that tried to shake my hand before I finished what I tried to explain him.
So here is why I gave this resort the four star rating: Iberostar Dive Center’s absolute disregard to the most basic rules of marine safety and rescue, and the unwillingness of the Hotel General Manager to discuss this issue with me.
In contrast with our overall experience, just before we left, the lights in the lobby showers were off, so we could not use them, after spending the whole day on the beach. We notified immediately the reception desk and guest service, but the lights miraculously came back on, only after we changed, just before leaving. The luggage room was filthy, and the door was unsafely wide open, when we got there.
I have attached a few photos of the catamarans, as a reflection of the Dive Center’s attitude towards the equipment which is rented free of charge to the hotel guests. They are placed right on the beach, reflecting a wrong image of Iberostar, to all the people passing by.

Room Tip: Rooms are pre-assigned. If you try to have it changed, the story is that the hotel is full, at the m...
5 Thank GV42
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

I just got back from a great trip to the Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus. I had always wanted to stay at this place so finally decided to check it out...and I am really glad I did. I have been to the Caribbean nine times now and I can tell you what really sets this place apart from others I have stayed at is the customer service! I am a very tough customer and I want and expect everything to be right. These people bend over backwards to make sure you have a good time. When you ask them for something it is done right away, not in a few hours. They are very friendly, and present a relaxed and fun atmosphere 24 hrs a day!! I had a few experiences with staff members some of whom were finished their shift and were off the property but still helped us find which local buses to take etc....very nice people!!!

The cleaning staff...maids etc where friendly and watched my schedule to try and not interfere with when I usually show up at the room. Even witnessed one senior staff member doing a spot check on the maid's performance!!! Rooms where nice and the bed sheets were spotless.

The beach was absolutely amazing and I just stayed in the water for hours! We would show up at about 10 am everyday and there was always loungers to be found. One rule they have is no food from the restaurants allowed on the beach....what a great rule!! There is nothing more disgusting than seeing peoples dirty dishes lying around in the sand. None of that here. They do have a restaurant on the beach if you get hungry and it is just a few steps away. If you like to go for walks along the beach well this is the place for you. You can walk for many kms in an eastward direction.....I did every day and never reached the end of the beach where I couldn't walk any more.

The pools were great especially if you have children of different ages....there is something for every age level here...even an artificial beach , which was excellent for toddlers to splash around in. I don't have children and I like to swim in a deeper pool....they even had a pool for me!! Not super deep but deep enough that my feet didn't hit bottom when swimming.

Entertainment was better than most resorts. They had a different show every night....and it was a real show not just games or contests on stage like most other places I have stayed at. The entertainers worked really hard and I was there every night. I really liked the two or three female singers they had who performed in the shows with the dancers and around the hotel lobby etc. They were excellent and sang great songs in Spanish with all the moves etc....I could have listened to them for hours!!

I cant really think of anything that I disliked at this place....if there is an area for improvement I would say it would have to be in the buffet area. Just a little more selection and variety would make it even better....but I only ate in the buffet and gained seven pounds in the one week so it must have been pretty good!

I have always tried to stay at RIU resorts but was glad I tried Iberostar this time. I find that at most RIU resorts lately there is an attitude of, " Well you have a problem? Well we already have your money so...too bad there is nothing we can do"...I am glad to say that is definitely not the attitude here!!! Customer service is absolutely the number one priority at Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus!! I usually don't return to the same resort twice...but I may make an exception next year and return here for another week in paradise!!!!

Thank you Iberostar for the great vacation!!!!!!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Kman240
Easton, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

My wife and I have been vacationing in the Caribbean for nine consecutive Januaries. We discovered Iberostar Punta Cana the first year. We have been "Iberophiles" ever since. We have now been to Punta Cana four times (25 days total), Mexico once (7 days), and Dominicus four times (34 days).

All three resorts have met and exceeded our expectations, but we have decided we like Hacienda Dominicus the best. In most important respects, there's "hardly a nickel's difference" between them. You'd probably have a problem figuring out which one you were at if you didn't already know, in terms of management, property, room, cleanliness, service, food, drink, etc, There definitely are differences in the details, but if you're not hung up on tiny details, you'll be happy at all three.

But for our particular expectations, Hacienda noses out the other two overall. Hacienda is the smallest of the three and has an intimate feel to it. Also, the management rewards us a repeat visitors, and they make the stay extra special with special considerations and perks. With 34 January days experience there, we have experienced nothing but perfect weather. Days in the 80's, evenings in the 70's (ºF). Rain in the night, or in a few tolerably short showers.

With 34 days experience at Hacienda, we've never experienced anything close to a show-stopper disappointment, like some others have reported. So, I will end my review with a piece of advice articulated by a guy I met a few days ago at Hacienda. He told me, "With these people, it's all about relationships. You can't buy them. It's all about relationships" Build peer relationships with the desk crew, the food servers, the bar tenders, etc. If you have a problem they'll take care of you. If you don't have problems, they'll seek you out and make your stay even better.

Hope this helps.

Room Tip: We've stayed in buildings building three and four, on the back of the buildings, looking over a...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank CaseMarsh
Port Huron, Michigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

this was our first time at an Iberostar resort, but this would be my 4th time to the Dominican Republic. the good things about the resort is the food is very good. the promptness of staff to fill your glasses and take away dirty plates is superb. the buffet was always good, the steakhouse restaurant actually had the worst steak, i asked for medium cooked, i got well done and dry. gross.
however, the other restaurants were very good!. i did not like that at the steakhouse they tried selling their specialty wines to you when we already spent thousands of dollars to have an all-inclusive experience. the house wines are included but NOT the specialty ones which they try to haggle you into buying at some restaurants.
Speaking of drinks, the bar drinks need to have a makeover, for the amount you pay for a luxurious experience, they could atleast blend up some real fruit into the strawberry daquiri's or the other drinks. the bar drinks are all pre mixed and very sugary and not all that great. that was my main gripe about the place.
the grounds are lush and beautiful, the beach had the warmest rolling waves i have ever seen, but if you want a decent spot at the beach, be prepared to be up at the crack of dawn or you will be far from the water because the people come throw their towels on the chairs and "reserve" them even though the resort claims thats not allowed.
rooms are pretty basic, cleaned very nicely by the maids who make cute towel swans and things on the bed daily. there are security guards around all the time, which is good. overall, it was a nice resort and I would recommend it, however they need to fix the bar drinks and stop trying to push more sales inside the resort for wine or jewelery and other things. we get hussled enough outside the resort, the inside should be an oasis from that!

• Stayed January 2014
1 Thank cookie123456789
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayahibe
Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa
Catalonia Gran Dominicus
Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa
Iberostar Bavaro Suites
Dreams Dominicus La Romana
Dreams Dominicus La Romana
#11 of 16 in Bayahibe
Melia Caribe Tropical

Been to Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus? Share your experiences!