“2013 Dominican Trip Review” 4 of 5 bubbles

Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Bayahibe
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
west pittsburg
“2013 Dominican Trip Review”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

This was my 9th trip to the Dominican. 5 to Punta Cana, 4 to La Romana. This was our second trip to an Iberostar.
Comparatively, Iberostar Hacienda was, I'd say, a B+. It is by no means over the top luxury and elegance, but more quaint and homey. The grounds however were beautiful. Rooms average. Starting with check in, it was very expedient and easy. Cezar at reception was fantastic and will go far with whatever he chooses. If we needed anything from day 1 to day 7, Cezar was the man. If you are going write his name down, as Cezar equals results!!! Our room was average. Nothing over the top, but not bad in any way either. It suited our needs. The pool was very nice. Lots of lounge chairs and huts, which is not always the case. The beach was also pretty good, plenty of chairs and huts. The hard thing was the sand. It felt like walking in quicksand. Usually we would walk miles of beach, but here, 100 yards felt like a mile.
Restaurants were nice. Food was good. The buffets were hard to navigate as I assume different cultures have different approaches to getting their plates full. It was like a traffic jam with no traffic lights. The dinner spots were much better and fluent. Japanese was very good. Steak House was probably the least favorite. Gourmet was good also. Ironically, my favorite meal was the steak at the Mexican, had it twice!
The bars were all pretty good too. It was always fast and served with a smile. My favorite guys were Nino and Adrian at the pool bars. Great personalities!! Also, I suggest taking your own thermal cups to avoid beverages melting quickly or getting warm, also to avoid their 5 oz cups.
Another aspect that we really enjoyed was the entertainment staff. they all seemed very nice and happy in their work. the ones that truly stood out and should be commended are Nicolas, Derlan, and my main man Gabrial! Gabrial was only there a week or two and was already a superstar at his profession. He will go far!!!
The cleaning staff was also awesome. They work so very hard sunrise to sunset!!! From the groundskeepers to the room maids or lobby maids, they truly need commended too!!
In closing, what truly makes this hotel is the staff. Without them, this resort would be below average. I often noticed management hot and heavy on their staff, and to much of a degree I felt unnecessary. I felt bad for these hard working people.That being said, I hope management knows what is perceived by its guests! Lastly, the only real thing I didn't care for, was there were ALOT of kids. To no fault of the resort of course. But it was quite difficult to catch a nap by the pool or on the beach. And shame on a few groups of people who let their teenage boys run amuck around the resort with no regards for other guests, staff, or anyone, but themselves. Your parents should be ashamed!! Hope this helps and if anyone got questions, happy to help...

Room Tip: I really didn't recognize any differences or pluses or minus. Everything is very proximate from...
6 Thank robsfins

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (483)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

To start, let me say that I've travelled all over the Caribbean, including going to Dominican Republic around 7 times staying in different resorts. After staying in this resort for a 2nd time (first was about 4 years ago), I've come to the conclusion that it is all-around one of the best resorts out there. Everything you get at this resort is good. Also, if this helps, I'm a 21 year old male from NYC that went with parents.

The resort itself in terms of land, where it is, etc is amazing. Beautiful gardens with workers taking care of it every single day. The beach is fairly large. Some people don't realize or notice that it extends farther to the left past the lighthouse too. That is where the water sports are located as well. Plenty of lounge chairs. One concern at other resorts is that you have to be up at 6-7am just to get really any good lounge chair. Here, people do get up early around 7ish AM to maybe get the first row, but there are so many lounge chairs that even if you come at 10AM, there will still be good spots randomly throughout and a place for you to settle down. Some rocks in a few places getting into water, but you can avoid them. Food: This time around, I mainly just stayed in the buffet. It provides a good variety and I always found something good to eat here. Also, I'd like to note that the main assistant chef Marcelino is absolutely amazing. I was in need of something, and he came to my rescue and was just great to speak to. He also spent time introducing himself and just talking to us, and said he's always around the buffet every day. From that day on, I would constantly run into him and greet him, say hi, talk, etc. Great guy! Also, most of the chefs at the food stations don't speak English, and they stick to Spanish, but I didn't find it that much of a concern. They all work to help you. And if they mess up, they totally restart and make it work for you. Every resort has activities. But they always lack, or they're not done well. This resort, it really pushes its activities with a great activity team. There is always something good to do. This also goes with the evening shows. Every resort has shows, but they typically suck. These shows are something else. While they're not real Broadway shows, they do well for themselves. Tons and tons of costumes and acts. There's a disco at night at 11pm. Good place also. Variety of adults to teens. Employees all say Hi/Hola to you, everyone smiles. Bartenders/bars are good. Had a great time! :)

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Iberostar

5 Thank Dennis K
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014

This was our 11th stay at Iberostar resorts. I’ll do my best to rate this place on its own merits without comparing to others...

We flew from Toronto with Air Canada Rouge (about them later) to La Romana airport. This is actually the best option, the airport is small, going through customs is a breeze, we were the only flight and just in half an hour (20 min drive) we were in the resort.

Check in was quick and nice. We asked for specific building and Maria was very kind to accommodate our request, finding us a room there.

We stayed in Building 4, third floor, facing away from the pool, it was nice as it gives you sense of privacy and no noise. The room is not a big one, but nice and clean, everything was in working order. We asked for extra hangers and ironing board, all was delivered quickly.

Resort is beautifully maintained, grounds are clean, nice and the little nature park in the middle is great. You can watch flamingos, cranes, turtles, absolutely magnificent.

Swimming pools are OK, nothing fancy, we didn’t spend much time there. Note of caution though, people ‘reserve’ sunbeds very early, same as the beach, so if you want nice shady place around the pool, please come early. By 7am, lots of sunbeds are already taken.

Beach is great, we enjoyed it immensely. Why to spend time at the pool, when there is such magnificent beach, which has “blue flag” designation. As it was noted by other folks, water goes considerable deeper just few meters off the beach, about 4 – 5 feet, but it stays the same depth pretty much all the way to the buoy line. If you want some snorkeling adventure, keep to the left side, just in front of lighthouse beach bar, they dropped some concrete cones there to create artificial reef. Some corals are already growing there, lots of fish, sea urchins (be careful). If you bring some bread there, these little stripy fishes will love you and grab bread (cookies, doughnuts, whatever you take with you) just from your hand. Have underwater camera handy, lots of fun. And if your kid loves snorkeling, that’s the place to be. (just stay away from Dressel snorkeling offers, but this is a separate part). Also, as it was noted before, if you want front line of sun beds, be there before 7am, otherwise you’re out of luck

Food is OK, to be fair. Selection is pretty repetitive, their theme nights could offer more options. At the same time, you always find some good stuff, breakfast offer pretty much any option you want, lots of fresh fruit, juices, pancakes, eggs, cheese, pastries, whatever you wish. For lunch I definitely recommend either main buffet or beach place where they make paella, seafood pasta, that was really delicious. Poolside restaurant was very crowded with smaller selection of food and, we walked in and … walked out… didn’t like it at all. Dinner was OK, they had lobster few times and it was good. We were waiting for Dominican night and were quite disappointed. At the same time, New Year dinner (and New Year party) was absolutely outstanding.

As for a la carte restaurants, we went to the gourmet (Colonial) and Japanese. Gourmet was really good, food was well prepared and arranged, Japanese was OK.

The best drinks were at the lighthouse bar. They make the best mojito! The worst – lobby bar. Somehow folks who work there have to be (re-)trained. One guy made absolutely the worst mojito I’ve ever had. For daiquiris they use slush from machine and are you’ve to ask and point to blender if you want to have proper one. Make sure you watch over your drink preparation and be prepare to “micro-manage” your bartender. Not worth tipping.

We truly enjoyed room service, asking for fruit platter late night. Great refresher, fruit always freshly cut, neatly arranged, and promptly delivered. Kudos!

Special thanks to the entertainment team: Rolando, Marcelo, Nicolas, Lenny (happy-happy), you guys truly rock and we love you! They were genuinely entertaining, fun, pleasure to talk to! One of the best (if not THE BEST) Star Friends team. Our respect and gratitude to you all.

A note about crowd. This was one of kind. We haven’t seen such mix at any other resorts. The language we heard most was French, followed by Spanish (South American folks), Italian, German, Russian, then (remote) English. We heard Dutch and Portuguese. Truly international place. The only downside – Europeans smoke like trains.. @#$%... Ladies and gents, please drop… if you don’t care about killing your lungs and second-hand smoking your kids, think about other people around you.

Now, some notes about Air Canada Rouge.. Air Canada “parents”, please drop this child brand delivering inferior service and making shame of you. On our flight to La Romana, there was no water in the washroom, there was no Rouge Plus service (though it’s advertised on their web site as available on all Caribbean flights). On return flight, beer was lukewarm, and after hearing my complaint flight attendant suggested dropping ice into the beer (!). Attitude of a high school drop-outs. There is no excuse to bad service. I enjoyed Air Canada hospitality over the last year (made almost 140K miles) and would definitely recommend either bringing “Rouge” back to “parents” or making sure that it doesn’t shame them and delivers service level that matches Air Canada.

In the rank “good, bad, and ugly” the last one goes to Dressel folks, where “Dr..” stands for “Dreadful”. Dreadful for our experience during the snorkeling tour we had, dreadful for the attitude of their head office customer service. Please stay away from their snorkeling tours, you’ll be VERY disappointed or like in our case, terrified. We had previous decent experience with Dressel in Mexico and Jamaica and decided for a local snorkeling tour that offered about 2.5 hours at ship wreck and a coral reef. As it turned out, the tour guide spoke no English whatsoever and therefore couldn’t provide any guidance… whatsoever…

The first stop was OK, it was quite interesting to see big vessel, submerged, though waters were quite choppy and a quite a bit murky. The nightmare started at the second stop, the “reef”. We were dropped in the middle of two or three other boats in very close proximity, on a top of what they call a “reef”, it’s rather a coral cemetery. Our guide jumped in the water and swam away. I made sure that my 11-years daughter got her gear right and we followed. When we entered water, I and my daughter followed the guide. My wife got confused and swam in different direction, so I went after her. The other boat was between us. When I caught my wife, I saw my daughter swimming towards us, straight into rear of the other boat with roaring engines. At this moment, our guide was alone, there was no one with him, and he did not make any attempt to stop my daughter swimming towards propellers. Folks, I've never thought I could scream that loud, and feel that desperate seeing my daughter swimming right into propellers of the boat…..

I consider this a gross violation of any safety procedures and guide's duty to safeguard well-being of people that are trusted to him. His incompetence reflects base management that hired him.

I don't even talk about dreadful place we were taken to and it took less than an hour of what was promised. If this is level of services that are delivered at that base, than those people deserve all words that I have for them.

When we got back I spoke to manager on duty, Ivo Silva, I asked him for full refund, which was refused and delegated to a base leader Mr. Maffioni. I was provided his email. I wrote a complaint explaining the situation, but never received any reply. I wrote to the Dressel corporate customer center, once again explaining the situation and asking for refund and apologies. I got a reply from Steven Peter, Customer Service Manager. No apologies, no refund, but offered vouchers… $150 valued more than good reputation. Enough said. Just pity that such awful attitude negates hard work of all good folks who works there as diving instructors.

Conclusion: great resort, we’ll definitely return, as we really enjoyed every day and every hour there, and we definitely recommend this resort. Our only suggestion to management… improve
quality in the lobby bar.

And stay away from “Dreadful Dressel”.

Any questions, I'll be happy to answer

Room Tip: Buildings 3, 4 and 7 - near the pool and the beach
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank Igor_E_211
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus, responded to this review, January 18, 2014
Dear guest,
We would like to thank for publishing a comment on Tripadvisor about your experience at Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus and in the name of Mr. Amando Pozo, hotel Manager, we also thank you for your loyalty when choosing Iberostar Hotels and Resorts for your vacations.
We are very pleased to read your positive lines about the quality of our gastronomy, the beauty of facilities and the service of our friendly staff. In Iberostar we aim to ensure memorable experiences to our beloved “stars” on vacation.
We are looking forward to welcome you back to any of our more than one hundred hotels worldwide. Please do not hesitate to contact us before arrival to help you to enjoy your next vacations with us,
Kindest regards,
Oxford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

We went to the Dominican Republic for the first time in July 2013 and thoroughly enjoyed it. The bus transfer wasn't too long and was an easy journey to the hotel. On arrival, the hotel appeared beautiful and it was absolutely stunning. The grounds are lovely to walk through from start to finish.
The room was large enough for the two of us and we had a lovely view of the pool. The mini bar was stocked up every other day which was great. The cleaners did a great job, and left origami in the towels and sheets which was cute.
The pool area was clean and tidy. As was the beach area. Liked the swim up bar a lot (enjoyed far too many cocktails here!)
The food choice in the restaurants was great. Different themes and foods every night. Quick drink service too. We loved the Mexican restaurant and the steak house too.
We enjoyed every part of our two week stay :).

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,
On behalf of Mr. Amando Pozo, Hotel Manager, we thank you for choosing Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus for your first vacations in the Dominican Republic and for taking the time to write a review about your stay.
It is a great pleasure for the whole team, to acknowledge how much you enjoyed your holidays among us due to the beauty and cleanness of our grounds. In Iberostar one of our guiding principles is to upkeep our premises.
We are looking forward to welcoming you again; please do not hesitate to contact us before your arrival.
Best regards,
Moraira
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014

Firstly, the reason I have not qualified this hotel as excellent is that they use wild animals (we saw a monkey and a cockatoo) as props for earning money to take photographs with tourists.
Forcing wild animals to adopt behaviours that are unnatural to them and exploiting them to make money is frowned upon and indeed illegal in most European countries. Given that Iberostar prides itself on its ecological and ethical standards, I am surprised that the company allows this sad activity to take place on the premises. I am sure the animals are properly fed etc, but it is still ENTIRELY INAPPROPRIATE AND DOES NOT SEND OUT A GOOD MESSAGE ABOUT IBEROSTAR.
Now the good parts. This is a lovely, peaceful hotel with a superb garden. Rooms are clean and comfortable. It is staffed by a well trained group of staff. Everyone we spoke to was polite and helpful.
The entertainers go the extra mile to do all they can to ensure that guests have a good time. Activities are organised on the beach and by the pool at different times you so can have fun with others or just spend some quiet time if you prefer. The receptionists were also exceptionally helpful and always have a big smile when you go along with questions.
The first two days we were unimpressed with the food, specifically with two dishes: some chocolate mousse which tasted absolutely terrible and which my husband (a health inspector) suspected was in poor condition due to the display temperature and some beef with the texture of a running shoe which was just burnt and should not have been on the counter. Although plentiful, as you might expect, the food is not as tasty as it could be. Unexpectedly, on the third day on it perked up and we had some nice meals. We ate in the Japanese, Gourmet and Steakhouse restaurants and they were all very good. It seems absurd to have anything negative to say when there was so much on offer, but I do think they could do something to make the food a bit more exciting... perhaps spice it up a bit?
I had a facial in the spa which was nice, but not worth the $100 it cost. I decided to pass on the massage (due to the inflated price) and had one in a hut on the public beach, which was pretty good.
The pleasant beach with lovely clear water was a bit crowded with sunbeds but we always found one... all in all it's a good choice with a more intimate atmosphere than some of the mega hotels in the Dominican Republic.
Also.. management... why don't you provide some more space for guests to get changed before they are picked up by the buses to go to the airport. It was total chaos in the changing rooms because there are not enough facilities and with no air conditioning it is also very hot. There's plenty of space, why not use it to look after your departing guests who will be recommending your establishment to fellow travellers and friends?
All in all we had a lovely time and enjoyed staying at this beautiful property. They just need to revamp their recipes and stop using the animals and I'll go back!

Dear guest,
We thank you for posting a review on Tripadvisor about your stay at Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus and for choosing our hotel for you holidays.
We extend our apologies for all and any inconveniences that you might have experienced at our grounds that almost kept you away from enjoying your holidays. It is through communications of this nature that we are given an opportunity to assess and evaluate our performance, as well as to ensure that we maintain and deliver the level of service expected from our Hotel. For your negative comments we will certainly take an objective approach according to our Iberostar standard to ascertain how best we can rectify these.
We remain at your disposition for any further assistance.
With kindest regards,
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2014

This is the second time we have stayed at an Iberostar resort, after last year's visit to the Mayan Riviera. Both were very well managed. The staff in each case was extremely helpful. We would definitely take the reliability of Iberostar into consideration, when making future choices about winter resort vacations.

The Hacienda Dominicus is a beautifully landscaped property. The food is so-so, although better than average for an all-inclusive in this price range. You get what you pay for, as they say. The food and wine choices at the Mayan resort were much better, but the price was significantly steeper. Makes sense.

Here's what doesn't make sense: Visitors are charged a daily fee to use the safe, even though there is already a safe in the room that comes with straightforward instructions on how to use it. It's not rocket science, especially for anyone who has previously used this fairly standard kind of safe, which involves entering your own four-digit combination. But the safe is closed when you arrive, so an attendant has to come to the room to open it for you. The decision to use a safe is not a reflection on the trustworthiness of the staff. It is common sense, not only for the visitor but because it's also in the interest of the hotel or resort. If the door to the safe had been left open, we could easily have figured out how to use it (or chosen not to use it), we wouldn't have required a visit to the room solely for this purpose, and we wouldn't have had to pay a daily fee to use it. The fee itself, at $2 a day, is nominal, but that doesn't make it sensible or right.

I don't recall ever paying to use a safe. Back in the day when safes had keys, you might have had to pay a deposit on the key, and then had the deposit returned to you when checking out.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus, responded to this review, January 17, 2014
Dear guest,
We thank you for having chosen Iberostar Hotels and Resorts once again for your vacation and on behalf of Mr. Amando Pozo, hotel Manager; we also thank you for posting a review about your experience at Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus.
We are very pleased to acknowledge that our hotel premises and services met your expectations based on your visit to our Iberostar hotel in Mexico. As you have experienced twice, in Iberostar we are committed to provide the best service.
On the other hand, we apologize for the inconveniences related to the charge in the safe room. We have forwarded your concern to our Headquarters in Spain as you might understand some decisions cannot be made by us as if we were an isolated hotel.
We are looking forward to welcome you to any of our more than one hundred hotels worldwide. Please do not hesitate to contact us to assist you for your next visit.
With regards,
Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014

Jan 2 – 9, 2013
This was our second visit to the Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus. We have visited a number of Caribbean islands and have stayed at a lot of different all-inclusive resorts. I despise spending vacation time in airports; therefore we now focus on non-stop flights. We fly out of St. Louis so our only non-stop options are Jamaica, Cancun, and Punta Cana. Due to safety concerns we prefer the Punta Cana area.

The first couple of years we stayed in Punta Cana. I scuba dive, the resorts face the Atlantic side, and the visibility is poor. Two year ago we took a snorkel/dive excursion and we were brought to the Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus. The resort faces the Caribbean side and the diving was much better. Now we only consider resorts in and around Bayahibe.

Grounds and Buildings –
The resort grounds, and beach are perfect. The property is meticulously maintained. Our room location, view, and amenities were very nice. The only negative comment, one mattress sagged on one side. I flipped the mattress and the problem was solved.

Security –
The area appears to be very safe. People from different resorts are walking up and down the beach all day. We walked next door to the little village of Dominicus, and visited the cigar factory. (I talked to someone that works at the dive shop and lives in Dominicus, he told me that he has lived here for a year and a half and has never had any problems.) Last year we walked from Bayahibe to the Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus.

Food and Beverages –
The food and beverages were outstanding. Last year we could choose 3 of the a la carte specialty restaurants, this year we could choose 5, but only two nights at the much demanded Colonial. We ate at the Japanese, steak, and two lobster meals at the Colonial. Last year I criticized the lack of smoked salmon and seafood. We had many opportunities for seafood including giant prawns that looked like miniature lobsters. Food is available 24 hours per day. To avoid gaining weight, limit portions, and do a lot of walking.

Staff –
The staff is very friendly and helpful. Two of the staff remembered me from our visit last year. Most staff personnel are multilingual. English is always understood. A reception was held for the repeat customers. We met one couple that has made many visits to this property and on this visit they were staying 10 weeks. Lots of repeat customers speaks volumes on customer satisfaction.

On the down side, when we wanted to use the Internet, the staff at the desk sold us a 1-hour password for $3. We could not get it to work. The next night we were told the 1-hour passwords expire daily and we needed to buy another password. We bought another password and while standing at the desk, failed to log-on. The manager then informed me that the Internet is free in the lobby, and the purchased passwords only work in the rooms. He gave us the free userid and password and we used it for the remainder of the week. After we had checked out, I had the pleasure of meeting the Amanda Poza, the General Manager. I informed him about the confusion, and he offered to take the charges off our bill. He gave me his business card and told me next time if we have any problems, to contact him. I congratulated him on operating a first class resort.

Entertainment –
We attended a couple of the evening shows. We have gone shows at various resorts and general have been less than impressed. The two shows we attended were much better. The music lyrics were lip-synced to American classics and the dancing was very good.

I did two dives with the on-site Dressel Dive shop. Ival (sp?) was the dive master and he did an outstanding job. The best dive was the shallow (12 meters) coral reef right in front of the resort.

We were disappointed in the short snorkel off site excursion with Dressel Dive shop. We were taken to a wreck site close to Bayahibe. The water was too rough and we didn’t even try to snorkel. Then we went inside the bay at Bayahibe to snorkel. The coral is dead. We saw some fish but it wasn’t worth the $88 it cost us.

General Observations –
We saw babies, 80years old, and lots of families. There were very few Americans. If you heard English it was usually from Canadians. Our plane from St. Louis wasn’t full but we were told that the resort was at capacity. We plan on returning next year.

Room Tip: Buildings 3 and 4 are close to the beach.
6 Thank ploethen
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus, responded to this review, January 12, 2014
Dear guest,
We would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus once again for your holidays and in the name of Mr. Amando Pozo, hotel Manager, we also thank you for sharing your second experience with us and the Tripadvisor community.
We are very glad to hear that you enjoyed from another unforgettable holiday due to the excellent service provided by our friendly staff, the beauty of our premises, the variety of our gastronomy and our wide entertainment options. In Iberostar we want our guests to live unforgettable experiences. Likewise, we extend our apologies one more time for the confusion with the internet service.
We will be honored to welcome you back and remain at your entire disposition for further assistance before your arrival.
Yours Sincerely,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayahibe
Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa
Catalonia Gran Dominicus
Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa
Dreams Dominicus La Romana
Iberostar Bavaro Suites
Melia Caribe Tropical

Been to Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus? Share your experiences!