Ok, that title may be a bit severe only some guests let themselves down the majority were fine, but let me explain why i wrote it.
The hotel consists of three blocks on one side and four on another running parallel down to the beach. The gardens and pool area are in the center. This means the hotel is large for the size of the beach area it has, one third is rocky and the rest has manageable access. you still have to be careful as there is still some rocks. It is in this area that the sunbeds get reserved well before 7 am. The Hotel has a policy of not reserving sunbeds but does not enforce it. I understand it may be difficult to enforce during the day but in the morning when most of the sunbeds have been reserved but the beach is nearly deserted, then the towels should be removed. Even the prime spots around the pool are reserved early so if you like a long lie in the morning be aware you may have to wait until the afternoon to get a good sunbed. If you do get one on the beach you can always look out for the sunbed wars that breakout, they shout and bicker with one another just like a colony of nesting sea birds.
Another thing to be aware of is that other guest steal your beach towels, when this happens you have to go to guest services and fill in a small form and then go to the towel hut to get them replaced, it took me about forty minutes to complete. The girl was pleasant enough and told me not to worry as it happens all the time.
The pool is nice and large but has a few broken tiles, so if you have young kids you would need to be careful
The hotel has four specialty restaurants, El Colonial being the best, although the maitre d can be cheeky and the service is slow. Jazmine a waitress in the main buffet restaurant could show them how to be efficient and friendly she was fantastic.
The food was very good and previous reviews have mentioned food poisoning, however i have no doubt that it is not the hotels fault but the fault of other guests. You will see them walking around eating food from their plates with their fingers, then picking up more food, again with their fingers. One woman even licked her fingers and stuck them in the grated cheese and then licked the cheese of them, yuk. I would encourage the hotel to let the staff in the food areas reprimand the guests who do not seem to understand basic food hygiene. Also enforce your dress code particularly in the snack restaurant, ladies were mostly ok but men wandering around wearing only trunks is not acceptable.
One good thing is that you can book three of the four specialty restaurants in a week and if you want to plan ahead you can book them all at once from guest services in block four. The service in the bars was mostly good although if you don't tip Yan in the beach bar you may become invisible. Morfan and Antipanito were both excellent and very good at teaching me Spanish.
The entertainment team work hard throughout the day and know to leave you alone if you are just wanting a lazy day. The entertainment at night is very hit or miss, the lead female singer is very good but some of the shows are bad. I appreciate that they have to cater for all tastes but when people leave early this should be a indication that all is not well with that particular show.
The safe in the rooms will cost two dollars per day and you have to pay for internet access. The hotel has a few shops but if you want to buy anything i would encourage you to take a walk into the small built up area to the left of the hotel. It is only a couple of streets but at least your money would be going into the local economy and not to a big hotel chain.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The IBEROSTAR Hacienda Dominicus Hotel offers 5-star All Inclusive accommodations in Bayahibe, a picturesque village on the Dominican Republic's southeast coast. This is the perfect beachfront locale for indulging in a comfortable, luxurious Caribbean vacation. Designed with both couples and families with children in mind, our top hotel's entertainment program includes activities for young and older alike as well as a modern spa for serene relaxation and high quality dining options. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, TravelUp, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Hotwire, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd and TripOnline SA so you can book your Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus Hotel Bayahibe
- Iberostar Hotel Bayahibe
- Iberostar Hotel Hacienda Dominicus
- Iberostar La Romana
- Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus Dominican Republic/Bayahibe