“The best vacations ever. Iberostar is a way to go!”

Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus
Ranked #1 of 16 Hotels in Bayahibe
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Schaumburg, Illinois
“The best vacations ever. Iberostar is a way to go!”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

We have traveled to Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus last week of February. We stayed for 7 days. We were party of 3 (my wife, 3,5 year old son and myself). It was our third trip do Dominican Republic. Previously we stayed at Iberostar Bavaro (also great resort) and Dreams Palm Beach (just good resort).
We have traveled thru apple vacations on non stop flight from Chicago. It took 4 hours. Transfer from airport to resort took 40 min. It was nice and smooth ride.
Got to the hotel, got room in quiet building nr 3. It was close to everything.
Pools were very nice and clean.
Food was absolutely amazing, We mostly ate at the buffet or snack bars There was always plenty of choices.
Drinks were good, there is few bars in resort where you can get drink or cafe no matter where in resort you are. Are favorite was beach bar in lighthouse.
Grounds and gardens are very beautiful and extremly well maintained.
There is kids club (Lucy's Club) open during the day with little pool for toddlers and playground.
Entertaiment team goes beyond to make you happy there. Every day at 8.30 there was show and mini disco for kids and very nice show or disco with live band at 9 for adults.
Staff is very friendly and helpful.
Beach is very nice with lots of chairs but at the time ocean was not very pleasant and there were some big waves so we couldn't really swim.
Rooms are spacious and functional. A/C worked very well. Rooms were made up twice a day!
One day we rented out the car, which was nice expirence. We saw Bayahibe fishing village, basilica in Higuey, Boca de Yuma and couple other places. Gas is expensive there $ 5.5 per gallon.
In case you wonder if there is a doctor in the resort I have to tell you that there is one.
Very profesional, fluent in English, great doctor. Our son got bad cough and we went to see him. He gave him medicine and he got better fast.
There weren't many Americans in hotel. There were French, Germans, Spanish, Canadians, Russians, Argentinians. We made friends with Germans, they son at the same age as ours.
We tipped staff for their hard work, We suggest do the same. These are really hard working good people.

Overall it was 7 days in paradise. I would recommend this resort to anyone. Thank you Iberostar for another fabulous vacations.

I also have to say that when whoever writes bad reviews for this place will not be happy anywhere.

Room Tip: Get room in building 3 or 4.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
8 Thank dj429
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus, responded to this review, March 8, 2013
Dear Guest,
We want to thank you for posting some comments on Tripadvisor about your experience at Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus and for choosing our hotel for your family holidays.
In the name of the Hotel Manager, Mr. Amando Pozo and his team, we would like to express you how glad we are to hear that your stay was unforgettable due to our beautiful premises and facilities, our exquisite gastronomy, and the friendliness of our staff members, especially from our Star Friends team and their activities for the entire family. Those are aspect of our commitments in Iberostar so we can ensure memorable holidays to our valuable costumers as the one you lived in Punta Cana at Iberostar Bavaro.
We are looking forward to welcome you back, please contact us before your arrival.
With kindest regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (500)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
  • Slovak first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 6, 2013

If anyone has read my reviews they know I'm a loyal Iberostar fan and after staying 5 nights at the Hacienda Dominicus that has only been reinforced. This was my first vacation to this particular hotel and it won't be my last! To me this vacation from which I just returned was one of the best experiences I have ever had at an Iberostar resort. As others have said the accommodations and grounds are beautiful, well kept, and a pleasure to experience.
So as not to be too windy here are my highlights:
1) The staff are very gracious and love to smile - they seem quite happy working for this company which translates to wonderful service for the guests. A shout out to Morla and Nino at the pool bar - 2 great guys that enjoyed having fun taking care of the customers. ATENTTION MANAGEMENT - THESE GUYS ARE GREAT DON'T LOOSE THEM!
2) The housekeeper for my room had it cleaned every morning while I was at breakfast - she did a wonderful job. The room was impeccably clean from check in to check out. ATENTTION MANAGEMENT - PLEASE RECOGNIZE THE YOUNG LADY THAT WAS ASSIGNED MY ROOM #3202 from 2/27 to 3/4. She deserves your praise and my thanks!!
3) Food in the buffet was tremendous - there was a great assortment every night. Everything was delicious and even a picky eater could have found something they liked. The food at Iberostar Hotels seems to be one thing this company really excels at. There is always variety and what should be cold is and what should be hot is. I noticed many peoples surprise at what was offered and it seemed they took full advantage by going back for seconds - who could blame them the food was delicious! The restaurant manager was present every night and made sure by his inspection that everything was presented to great satisfaction. I should say the hotel seemed very heavily booked yet tables were cleaned immediately, plenty of staff were on hand, and overall dinning was a pleasure. I did not eat at any of the ale carte restaurants but did hear from some other guests that they were pleased.
4) Entertainment staff - "Star Friends Team" - these guys and girls work their butts off entertaining all day everyday and are particularly great with kids. So family travelers this is the place to go - THEY LIKE KIDS! Plenty of activities everyday for all ages.
5) The pool and beach - yes I observed some lunatics heading for tagging their sun loungers at the crack of dawn. This is not uncommon at any resort and certainly not the fault of the hotel. I found no problem getting a sun lounger on the beach at 10:30-11:00AM everyday and yes I had a palapa (thatched) umbrella for shade too! The beach is beautiful with palms and trees for extra shade. The beach bar lighthouse is really cool to have a drink at. The beach looks as if tidal erosion is becoming a problem but I have seen this same thing in Mexico, Jamaica, Cozumel, as well as other locations - people it's not the hotel's fault. There is no problem going into the ocean and the sand on the beach is very clean. So - TOO ALL THE NITWITS THAT HAVE TO RESERVE BEACH OR POOL SUN LOUNGERS AT THE CRACK OF DAWN - GET A LIFE. lol
On Saturday the management of the hotel gathered on the beach at a lunch party to put a face to the pride they have in their staff and the hotel - a very nice touch!
In conclusion I would recommend the Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus to anyone looking for a relaxing and enjoyable vacation. You certainly get plenty of bang for your buc - another words it's a great bargain. Please feel free to email me any specific questions you may have and I'll do my best to answer them. Give this hotel a try and I think you'll be very happy and satisfied - I know I am and can't wait for the next opportunity to go back. Lastly - thank you to all the staff and management of the Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus for making my vacation a wonderful time well spent.

Room Tip: Building #3 has rooms that face the pool and are close to the beach.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank tctravels
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear guest,
In the name of the hotel Manager, Mr. Amando Pozo, we would like to thank you for your loyalty towards Iberostar Hotels and Resorts as your holiday’s destination and for taking the time to write a review about your experience at Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus.
It is a great honor for the whole team to acknowledge that you had an excellent and relaxing experience while visiting our hotel. Your motivating words referring our varied gastronomy beautify premises and excellent service have been shared to all our staff members especially with those staff member who made a difference during your stay, e.g. Nino and Morla at the pool bar. As you are used to, in Iberostar we are committed to ensure our guests to “enjoy being a Star”.
We are looking forward to welcoming you again; please feel free to contact us before your next vacation with us.
Best regards,
Illinois
Reviewed March 5, 2013

Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus Feb. 2013

My wife and I have take about a dozen Caribbean vacations over the last 15 years. Most have been to all inclusives, and most have been with Apple Vacations. We fly out of St. Louis and are limited to Cancun, Punta Cana, and Jamaica for non-stop flights.

We had been to Punta Cana twice before. I enjoy scuba diving and my wife likes to snorkel. Punta Cana faces the Atlantic, the beaches are great, but the waves make diving poor at best. On one of those previous vacations we took a day trip to the La Romana area. The water visibility was much better.

Recently a new 4-lane highway has been completed from Punta Cana to the La Romana area. It’s an easy 40-minute drive, and now you have the added choice of resorts facing the Caribbean side. We chose the Iberostar. Because it was rated #1 on Trip Advisor, it was a little cheaper than #2 Dreams, and we have been satisfied with other properties that we have used.

We left St. Louis at 7:30, and by 1:00 we were checked in, I had my sun glasses on, and a rum drink in my hand! At the check in, we were told we were in building #1. The clerk showed us a map and told us the preferred buildings were #3, #4, and #7. I asked if we could be moved. He checked with the manager and came back moved us to the third floor of building #3 (overlooking the pool). It was an awesome room!

The grounds and beach area are immaculate. The maintenance staff are always cleaning, painting, and planting. At night the lighting along the pathways is breathtaking. The staff was always very polite and helpful. I asked several of the staff how many languages they spoke and the answer was typically four or more.

That brings up my next point. Although everyone speaks English (one staff told me that English is the universal language), and everyone loves the US dollar, there are very few Americans at the resort. There are lots of French, Canadians, Russians, and Germans. Age ranged from one month to ninety years, with lots of children. If I heard English, it was almost always Canadian.

The food and drinks, as we expected, were fantastic. We ate at three a-la-carte restaurants. I ate lobster twice. The only complaint I have is I did not see peel and eat shrimp or crab legs at the buffet restaurants.

Much to our surprise the waves were much stronger than we had expected. I talked to a number of locals and was told that this was unusual. In spite of the waves I did manage two dives. They were both very good. I dove with the dive shop on site. The dives were shallow (40 ft), at 1:30 in the afternoon (when the sun is the most direct), and very close to the resort. I saw a 10 ft. long eagle ray on the second dive. The dive master was more excited than anybody. It is a great memory.
Another favorite activity is walking the beach. My best guess is you can walk about a couple of miles to the south and maybe a half mile to the north, I actually managed to lose weight in the vacation. However, the beach at Punta Cana is better for walking.

Just to the right of the Iberostar property is a public beach for the town of Dominicus. We walked over there several times. There are a lot of different shops and street venders. Just smile and wave boys and keep on walking. There is also a cigar factory called Juan Pablo (?). I paid $32 for 5 hand rolled cigars.

We also took a local taxi to Bayahibe. We caught the taxi in front of our resort. The 5 minute ride cost $1/person. A private taxi cost $10 total. Our taxi was a van, stuffed from floor to ceiling, with 20 hot and sweaty people.

It was fun to explore Bayahibe. We walked north to the Dreams property. In my opinion, the Iberostar beach is much better. If you follow the ocean in a southerly direction you eventually find a path/road that will take you back to Dominicus. It’s probably less than 2 miles, so take water with you.

My negative comments follow;
On rare occasions we could smell an odor at the resort. We were told that the water used for the grass and flowers is “recycled“. We made sure we stayed up wind of any sprinklers.

Our son tried to contact us by calling the resort. He told us he called 4 – 5 times, and had difficulty communicating with the person on the phone. The phone message was finally slipped under our door several hours later.

Another issue I have is regarding the resort Internet charges ($3 for two hours and it must be used within a 24 hour period). The service was terribly slow, and we lost connection a number of times. Most places we go don’t charge for WiFi, and the speed/service is much faster.

And my final complaint is with Apple. Our Apple rep. does not work on Wednesdays. We were leaving on Thursday and normally you meet the day before to determine your departure time. We had to make two trips to the customer service desk and combined we waited over an hour before we received the information. It seems to me that the Appple rep should just slip a note under every customer’s door on Tuesday with the departure time.

All in all, a great trip. Very relaxing. No tattoos and no sunburn. We will be going to a resort in the La Romana region again. .

Room Tip: Ask for Building #3, 4, or 5.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank ploethen
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Dear guest,
We would like to thank you for choosing Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus for your first visit to La Romana, and for the time you took to post a review about your stay among us.
In the name of Mr. Amando Pozo and his team, we would like to express how satisfied we are to read that you had a relaxing experience whilst your stay among us. In Iberostar we are committed to provide an excellent service with a friendly staff as well an exquisite cuisine. We appreciate your positive valuation about those aspects of our services.
On the other hand, we have forward your suggestions regarding how to improve the experience of our valuable costumers to the corresponding departmental heads. Our staff members and Managers welcome your feedback and apologize for any inconvenience.
We will be honored to welcome you back again, please do not hesitate to contact us prior your next visit.
Best regards,
Shoreview, Minnesota
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We just got back from spending 3 nights at Iberostar Haciena Dominicus. Overall, it was pretty nice. The grounds were beautiful with lots of well maintained vegetation, various kinds of ducks, and also peacocks. The paths were also well maintained and it was always pleasant walking from wherever you were to wherever you wanted to go. The pool area was quite large, nice, and clean but we didn't spend much time at the pool. We spent more time at the beach, which was larger than the beaches in many resorts. Getting lounge chairs in the shade was a bit of a challenge but we managed to get what we needed every day. The bars at the pool and beach were easy access. There never were long lines waiting for a drink, which is something we've experienced at other all-inclusives. The quality of the drinks were just ok and there was less variety than I would have liked. The room was not fancy, but clean and fine. The maids did a good job of keeping them clean. We used up all our bottled water the first day so I requested that the maid leave more. She left triple of what we initially had, so we were set. (Thanks to the maid for being attentive to our request!) The staff was very friendly, which I consider a big positive. I wish I spoke Spanish because communications were sometimes difficult. But that's my problem because, after all, it is the Dominican Republic. The food was just average. The variety was large enough but much of it was mediocre. The group I was with considered the "Mexican" restaurant as the best restaurant we went to. I particularly liked the octopus ceviche. There was a lot of steak, and though many in my group considered them too chewy, I thought they were very flavorful. My one suggestion would be for them to have more Dominican food, especially in the buffets. I found stewed beef tripe one day at the lunch buffet. That, along with some rice and beans made for a good lunch. I would have liked other Dominican style stews and fish dishes. The desserts were not very inspiring and lacked variety. Overall, the positives outweighed the negatives and all in all it was a pretty nice vacation.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank bobp55
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Guest,
First at all, on behalf of Mr. Amando Pozo, hotel Manager, we thank you for taking time to write some comments about your experience at Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus and for choosing our hotel for your vacations.
We appreciate your motivating comments about the excellent service of our staff members, the beauty of our premises and the variety of our gastronomy. In Iberostar we are committed to provide the best service to our valuable costumers. Likewise, we have shared your suggestions about the quality and flavor of our gastronomy with our Executive chef so he can work with our team to deliver the level of service expected by our guests.
We are looking forward to welcome you back and remain at your disposition for further assistance.
New York, New York, United States
Reviewed March 2, 2013

This resort was great. The nature present here is beautiful and sometimes just walking from your room to dinner was a mesmerizing experience. The rooms were ok and had no luxurious amenities. However, the room just like the rest of the resort were SPOTLESS. By far the nicest part of this resort is the beautiful beach with the calm waters. Food was good, nothing special but very fresh and an abundance of tropical fruits that you will never eat in the States.

I can only think of two downsides:
#1- There is nothing to do at night- If you like to party and stay out late then you will be truly disappointed. The shows are ok but not something you wanna do every night. The disco plays the same music every night and is not that entertaining. There is no casino on premises. However there is a local casino 2 min walk out of the resort or 20 second shuttle ride. The casino is a mixture of local and people from other hotels at a ratio of 1/5. Great casino with its own disco in the back. (disco full of locals). The walk is decently safe although can feel intimidating in the dark. The shuttle and the casino are safe. We chose to walk a few times instead of waiting for the shuttle.

#2: You are allowed limited reservations to a la carte restaurants. In my opinion this is a MAJOR issue. Often the buffet was mediocre but the a la carte places for great. Come on Iberostar! Your competitors Dreams La Romana who are 10 min away offers unlimited visits to a la carte at first come first serve.

I would recommend this hotel but would probably not come back unless there was a good deal

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank David K
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear guest,
In the name of Hotel Manager, Mr. Amando Pozo, we want to thank you for choosing Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus for your holidays and for your time when posting a review on Tripadvisor.
We would like to express you how pleased we are to acknowledge that you had a wonderful holiday due to the friendliness of our staff members, our varied gastronomy and the beauty and cleanness of our premises. In Iberostar one of our guiding principles is to upkeep our premises. Our Housekeeping crew, maintenance and gardeners are happy to know your positive valuation about their service.
We will be happy to welcome you back again, feel free to contact us to help you in your next visit.
Yours Sincerely,
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed March 1, 2013

Very nice hotel. The area is beautifully decorated, the service is great. The rooms were clean and comfortable to be in for 8-9 days. The beach is wonderful, the water is very clear and calm and nice to be in. The pool is very big and has room for everyone to have a good time. I had a very nice stay there twice.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Mishulya
Dear guest,
Thank you for choosing Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus for your holidays and for taking the time to post a review about your experience at our hotel.
In the name of Hotel Manager, Mr. Amando Pozo, we appreciate your positive valuation about the beauty of our premises and the excellent service provided by our friendly staff. As you have experienced twice, in Iberostar we are committed to provide the best service to our beloved guests.
We are already waiting for your next visit, please feel free to contact us to help you enjoy your next stay with us.
Yours Sincerely,
usa
Reviewed February 27, 2013

We just got back from spending 8 days at Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus. The hotel and grounds are really very nice. Very clean and manicured. The ponds in the center of the resort have several different varieties of ducks as well as a swan. And the Peacocks were amazing! Really nice touch. The beach is beautiful and larger then some of the other resorts we've stayed at. Yes, you do have to get up at 6am in order to get a front row seat to the ocean and some shade. I've had to do this at every resort we've been to so I expected it. However, there always seemed to be chairs available on the beach but further away from the ocean. You can go topless on the beach which some guests did. We stayed in building #7 which we requested, on the second floor. I was a little concerned at first being the ice machine was right outside our door, however, I didn't hear it all week. Typical garden view room which is what we payed for and the balconies are ample size for 3 people to sit. The room was ample in size and clean. Air conditioning worked great. There are no elevators however, the stairs were large and easy to climb. Wasn't an issue at all. Everyday the cleaning ladies shaped towels into animals and even spread rose pedals one day on the beds. I was surprised to see 3 beds in our room which was great being we had one child with us. The extra bed really didn't crowd the room much. The bathroom was clean, had a double sink, built in hair dryer, and a large walk in shower. The size of the shower was fantastic! One thing about the room which wasn't too much of a problem was there was only one 120V outlet and was laying on the floor, damaged. It worked however, I didn't want my young daughter using it. We had tablets, Ipods, Laptops, cell phones etc. that all needed charging. I ended up just using my laptop as the charging station for everything else. YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR WIFI in the rooms. Very lame. The resort employees were generally pleasant although no one really spoke English. Even the front desk people didn't always understand my questions. Not being able to speak Spanish was a HUGE disadvantage for us. I never felt snubbed by the staff but they weren't as friendly as they were to the Spanish speaking guests and I often felt they really didn't understand my questions. If your planning on going I HIGHLY recommend learning some basic Spanish. The guests were generally from South America or Russia. I only ran into one person from the USA at the resort the entire week. The nightly shows were entertaining, I especially liked the "Decades Show" and daily activities by the pool and on the beach looked like fun. But again, I didn't participate in any of the beach games because I couldn't understand what the staff was saying. They seemed to offer Bingo every night which we participated in one night which was fun. The lounge where the shows took place was very nice and the waitresses bringing drinks to everyone were very efficient. Some reviewers mentioned an entertainer named Lady Gaga. Personally, I thought he was a little over the top with some of his daily costumes and antics but I have to admit, he is clearly the hardest working person at the resort. I hope he is compensated accordingly. We did one excursion. The excursions seem to run on average $70-$100US per person and were not very organized. We did the 2.5 hour horse back riding from Rancho Bayahibe which is really only a few miles from the resort. Its not a "Ranch" though. Its a small field with a few trees and a lot of garbage. The horses were just tied to the trees. Two choices, beach riding or a ride through their national forest to a cave where you climb down into the cave to a natural pool. We chose the cave. It was interesting however, if I had to do it again I would probably choose the beach ride. The horses were very calm (worn) for us non-horse riders but they also seemed to offer more spirited horses available if you wanted to do some cantering. We were picked up outside the front gate of the resort by one of the owners, Elisa who was very sweet, however, she got into a little scuffle with a taxi driver when we tried to board her car. The gist of it was the taxi driver was trying to tell her she's not allowed to pick us up in her private car, that we had to PAY for a taxi. Elisa explained this to us once we got in the car. If I understood what was transpiring I would have spoke up to the Taxi driver as I felt I already paid for transportation to the Ranch.

Now, a few things that bugged me. First of all, I was really looking forward to snorkeling off the beach but there really isn't much to see. The surf is pretty rough and stirred up the sand quite a bit. The water was cloudy everyday. There are some man made cement domes placed off shore to attract fish however, there were only a few varieties and no coral growing. The off beach snorkeling is very disappointing. However, the ocean was very warm and my Daughter and I enjoyed "diving" for broken pieces of very dead coral rolling up on the beach. There were very few shells if any.
Another thing which REALLY bugged me is there are 4 restaurants where you HAVE to make reservations however, your only allowed to make reservations at only 3 of them. Very strange especially since none of the 3 we ate at were more then 1/3 full. As an all inclusive resort I should be allowed to try every restaurant. I didn't complain because the food in general really wasn't that good. Particularly the steak. Any cut, was pretty bad. The buffet was plentiful however, everything seemed to taste the same. The best restaurant was the Japanese place. I'm not a picky eater however, in general, the food was just ok.
Bring cash as some staff member expect tips. There were two singers who frequent each restaurant and sing at your table. They expect a tip. I only had a $20 on me so I went to the front desk to try to get change as the one ATM machine was broken most of the week and they wouldn't break a $20. They told me to go buy something at a shop to get change. Completely unacceptable! I went to two shops just to try to get change as I really didn't want to buy anything and they wouldn't break the $20 either. I went back to the front desk and complained. They finally broke my $20.

The pool was cold. And there is a large, what I thought was suppose to be a "hot" tub in the middle of the pool but it too was cold all week. The jets were going but the water was as cold as the pool. Thank god the ocean was warm. Your only allowed 1 towel per person per day. Weird. You could exchange it for a dry one but you were required to return your per person towel cards at the end of your stay. Seemed a little tacky. The pool was a nice size but in need of some repair. There is only one swim up pool bar with a few stools. The pool was very clean however, nothing special.
They mention "premium" liqueurs. The only place I saw anything other then local liqueur was at the lobby bar. The liqueur was fine but again, nothing special. I was looking for a good Scotch, all they has was Dewars. They only offer one beer, El Presidente. Tasted like Budweiser.
If your a coffee drinker your going to be hugely disappointed. I like a morning Latte in a disposable cup to bring with me while walking the grounds as well as an evening cup. There are no disposable cups for coffee. There are coffee makers in the rooms, that's if you like powdered milk and there is a sign above the sink stating that the water is not drinkable. Where do you get the water from then? They offer cappuccino at the buffet but its out of a commercial self serve machine which was broken a lot. The only decent coffee is at the lobby bar but it doesn't open until late morning, no carry cups and is kind of a pain to get to.
** MANAGEMENT-open a cafe' somewhere central to everything where one can get a 6am specialty coffee in a to go cup and a fresh danish*** We stayed several times at Beaches Turks & Caicos where they have an AMAZING cafe' open 24 hours a day. Fantastic!

The gym was very nice. 2 treadmills, 2 elliptical machines and I think 4 stationary bikes. Ample free weights and a universal gym as well as an aerobics room. I used the gym every morning and was very pleased although it opens a little late for my liking. My daughter had her hair braided at the spa and my wife said its very nice.

Saturday night they allowed vendors to set up tables around the resort. They all carry basically the same items and their prices were more expensive then the hotel shops LOL. One thing that bothered me a little is the vendors are a little pushy. They would basically take your arm and guide you to their table. I expect this from the beach vendors however, they shouldn't be allowed to be pushy within the resort.

Another minor issue. I left a tip for the cleaning ladies on the desk under a glass when we were leaving. I moved our bags to the door and called a bellboy to pick them up. We went to breakfast for 15 minutes then went back to the room to use the bathroom. The room hadn't been cleaned but the $ was gone. So I mentioned this to the front desk manager that I ASSUMED the bellboy took the tip but that it was intended for the cleaning lady. It turned into an uncomfortable situation. The bellboy was basically in my face saying he didn't take the $. I really didn't care at this point as we were boarding our bus back to the airport but the bellboy was insistent that I follow him back to the room and confront the cleaning crew. Bizarre! I told him I couldn't, I'd miss my bus but as far as I was concerned, he was the only person in the room. Anyway, I just brushed him off and we left. What should have happened is the desk manager should have confirmed that the cleaning ladies did get the tip and leave me out of it. It was completely unprofessional that the bellboy confronted me at all.

One other point, we wanted a direct flight which brought us to Santo Domingo. Its a TWO HOUR DRIVE to the resort. Not a fun ride and nothing to see. Plus we basically lost two days for traveling. I believe La Romano Airport is only 20 minutes from the resort.

All in all it was a very nice vacation. The weather was amazing! I don't know that I would go back to this particular resort but would be willing to try another Iberostar resort.

Room Tip: Buildings 4 and 7 are closest to the pool and beach. #4 closest to the beach. #7 is right by the p...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Skip S
IberostarHotelsRD, Quality Manager Iberostar República Dominicana at Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear guest,
Thank you for choosing Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus for your holidays and for taking time to post a feedback about your experience among us.
On the one hand, we appreciate your positive valuation about the beauty and cleanness of our premises, our daily and nightly activities proposed by our Star Friends and the excellent service provided by our staff, especially by Lady Gaga. One of our guiding principles in Iberostar Hotels and Resorts is to provide the best service to our beloved guests.
On the other hand, allow us to comment on your concerns regarding the use of reusable plastic cups: Iberostar aims to be an environmental friendly hotel chain. We follow two programs for optimizing our natural resources and to give the best care to our surrounding: Bandeza Azul (Blue Flag) and Green Key. Both programs are supervised by external consulters who give us some advises about how to leave the lowest carbon mark on the planet and to achieve the goal of a Green Tourism. We apologize for the inconvenience that you might have encountered while dealing with our environment conservation programs such as the reuse of plastic disposable cups and the use of straws.
We will be glad to welcome you back and remain at your disposition for further assistance.
With kindest regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayahibe
Casa de Campo Resort & Villas
Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa
Dreams Dominicus La Romana
Catalonia Gran Dominicus
The Reserve at Paradisus Punta Cana
Iberostar Bavaro Suites

Been to Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus? Share your experiences!