“Awesome Time!”

Bayahibe SUP (Stand Up Paddle Boarding)
More attraction details
Owner description: Stand Up Paddle Boarding (or SUP) is the new, eco friendly way to get out on the water and have fun. It's easy to learn and anyone can do it! Standing on your paddleboard gives you a unique view of the marine life below as you glide across the calm, crystal clear waters of Bayahibe Bay. Take a guided coastal tour, lesson or rent a board and experience this new watersport in a tropical paradise.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Activities for older children
Rochester, New York
“Awesome Time!”
Reviewed October 3, 2012

This was a great experience from booking all the way thru the excursion. Yumiko was very helpful and accomidating. We were coming in on a cruise and only in the DR for a certain amount of time and wanted to do the paddle boarding and tour the cigar factory. She set up the taxi to pick us up at the ship, go to the cigar factory, then go to the beach to paddle board and then drive us back afterwards which saved us a ton of money, only $15 a person round trip. We were out there on the ocean for about 2 hours and it was a great time. Yumiko took photos and sent them to us and wasn't like other excursions trying to get extra money out of you for photos or food. Wilson and Yumiko took us on a great excursion, had never done this before but was a ton of fun! Overall just a great experience and would definitely recommend Bayahibe SUP!

Visited September 2012
YB1, Owner at Bayahibe SUP (Stand Up Paddle Boarding), responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Wow! Thank you Brian for your very kind review :-) it makes us happy to hear you guys had such a good time in Bayahibe. We hope to see you again one day!

Saugus, Massachusetts, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Awesome Time”
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Yumiko & Wilson were so amazing! Yumiko made it so easy to set up a time for us to come and SUP. we were on our honeymoon and wanted to try it. They were great instructors and the area is so beautiful where they take you. They even give you some snacks. Yumiko is very knowledgable and helpful. Wilson was great at tricks and eager to teach us. I would highly recommend checking them out.

1 Thank Danielle D
YB1, Owner at Bayahibe SUP (Stand Up Paddle Boarding), responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Thank you for your kind review Danielle, it's much appreciated. It was a pleasure to meet you both and we enjoyed paddling with you. We hope you'll come back again one day to SUP with us! We wish you and Mike all the best for your future life together! Saludos from sunny Bayahibe :-) Yumiko
New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Great time for beginner SUPaddlers or those with experience”
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Yumi and Wilson took our family of 6 (ages 50 to 8 years) on a wonderful tour. Taught us all how to SUP in just a few minutes and made sure to give each family member the one-to-one coaching that we needed to be successful! The scenery was beautiful and everyone returned happy (and a little tired!!!) Would definitely recommend to others of all ages. Just remember to wear water shoes, as the beach was a little rocky as we were getting 'on board'. Enjoy!

Visited August 2012
YB1, Owner at Bayahibe SUP (Stand Up Paddle Boarding), responded to this review, August 24, 2012
Thanks for taking the time to write us a review! We had fun paddling with you all. We hope to see you all again one day :-)
Notes:
Water shoes are indeed a good idea - most of the sea bottom is sandy but there are sometimes rocks and the odd sea urchin to contend with.
Children over 8 years of age are welcome on our tours. They must be able to swim, be comfortable in the water and be accompanied by an adult.
Our 90 minute Paddle Board Surfari s a moderate exertion activity.
If you can kneel down on all fours and then stand up unaided – you can paddle board!
San Francisco, California
“well worth it - August 9, 2012”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

I've paddle boarded a handful of times and love every minute of it. So when I planned a family trip to the Dominican Republic, the first thing I did was do a search on paddle boarding in the DR. This was the only result that came up, but it was all that I needed.

I emailed Yumiko with a bunch of logistical questions such as: How do we get there from our resort? Costs? What about my parents and infant nehpew; what will they do while we paddle board? My sister and her husband have never paddle boarded; how will they do? I was very pleased to get a same day response. Every one of my questions answered in a most thorough manner. We emailed back and forth a few times and there was never an instance where she did not reply the same day. That's great customer service!

Our resort was 1.5 hrs away from her business and she set up the transportation flawlessly. No worrisome issues sometimes associated with being in a totally foreign land with a minimal grasp of the national language.

Hurricane Ernesto coincided with our arrival in the DR but did not affect our travels from San Francisco to the DR. However, on the day of our scheduled paddle board Surfari, Yumiko called and said it was raining pretty hard where she was and that Hurricane Ernesto affected the beach we were to paddle board in with brown algae in an area of normally crystal clear water. We decided to reschedule for the next day which turned out much better as it was sunny and the water was almost back to it's normal clarity. I thank her for the heads up and I could totally see somebody else not warning us and letting us continue just so she wouldn't lose the reservation. She just shows great integrity and someone you'd like to do business with again.

I could definitely go on and on but I'll just end it here so you don't forget the message: If you find yourself in the DR and want to try paddle boarding, look no further than Bayahibe SUP!

Visited August 2012
YB1, Owner at Bayahibe SUP (Stand Up Paddle Boarding), responded to this review, August 14, 2012
Your review is much appreciated :-) Thanks for taking the time to post. We love Stand Up Paddling and just want to give all our clients the best possible SUP experience. The warm, flat, crystal clear waters of Bayahibe make it one of the best places on the planet to learn this new activity.

But sometimes mother nature and father neptune conspire against us and give us brown algae and heavy rain! No one really wants to paddle in those conditions. Let's try for the next day instead. 9 times out of 10 the next day it's windless blue skies and clear water as usual, perfect for paddle boarding.

It certainly helps us that all our clients have been time-flexible and understand the weather's unpredictability.

Global communication now days is fast and easy. I often wonder how they managed before email was invented? Send a raven!

All the best to you and your family. We hope to paddle with you again one day!

Good news update: last week they opened the new Coral Highway between Punta Cana and La Romana/Bayahibe. Punta Cana motorway junction to our surf shack in Bayahibe Marina takes 45 minutes (faster drivers could do it in 35). They will add toll booths in the future. For now it's free.
Herndon, Virginia
“Bayahibe SUP (stand up paddle board)--INCREDIBLE!!!!”
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Yumiko & Wilson were just incredible. Yumiko was great in setting it all up for us via email, and answered all our emails promptly. I felt totally comfortable even though it was my first time paddle boarding. We had a 90 minute lesson (my husband and myself) and we took a rest at a little cove where Yumiko had bottled water and fresh fruit. Their instruction was extremely helpful and they were very careful to emphasize safety. They made whole experience so fun, I give them my full recommendation.

Visited July 2012
, Owner at Bayahibe SUP (Stand Up Paddle Boarding), responded to this review, July 9, 2012
We really appreciate your review, thanks for taking the time to post it. We had fun teaching and paddling with you - you both did great! Come back soon!