“Great place for a quiet, private vacation”

Weare Cadaques Bayahibe Hotel
Ranked #5 of 16 Hotels in Bayahibe
alexandria, va
“Great place for a quiet, private vacation”
Reviewed May 9, 2012

My husband and I were looking for a quiet, beautiful place for vacation and we found it at Cadaques Caribe. The resort is absolutely beautiful. We loved the Spanish villa style of the resort and the quaint buildings spread out like a village. Definitely very unique and not the typical cheesy tiki huts and coconuts style you see at most other Caribbean resorts. It was very quiet which was perfect for us since we don't like a whole lot of loud random music and don't need "animation" and dance lessons. We like to manage our activities without having them inflicted on us, if that makes sense. Cadaques is definitely a private place and we loved that.

Our room was great--the bed was supremely comfortable and large. We had a superior king room which had a balcony and that was a great feature of the room. The bathroom was nice and clean and everything was fairly modern.

The beach is a little rocky, but the water is DIVINE! I was mesmerized by how turquoise the water was---stunning!

We ate a lot of meals at the restaurant grill and everything we had was delicious. I got the Lambi Criolla the first night I was there and it was awesome. We had breakfast at the resort everyday and the prices couldn't be beat. THE PINEAPPLE JUICE SERVED WITH BREAKFAST WILL CHANGE YOUR LIFE! Seriously, it was that good. The prices on the resort were very reasonable for the portion sizes and taste of the food.

The hotel staff were all friendly and always willing to go the extra mile when it came to service.

I've read some of the reviews and was a bit apprehensive--so to anyone considering this resort, I say, GO! Other reviewers have mentioned that it's not a good place for Americans, and that the staff is difficult to understand, etc. But what it all comes down to is EXPECTATIONS. All I expected was a nice beach, clean facilities, a quiet place to detach, and decent food. I got all that and more when we stayed at the Cadaques. You can't expect everywhere to be like the United States...It's the Dominican Republic--people speak Spanish and have a much more laid back way of life down there. It's a different world entirely--in a good way. We will definitely be back to stay at Cadaques and are recommending it to everyone.

As an aside, if you are driving from the airport in Santo Domingo, be advised that the road conditions may not be the best on the way to La Romana. Some parts were well paved, others had potholes and pits. They're definitely not the worst roads in the world, but you should definitely be careful, and know that drivers and people on scooters drive a bit erratically. Just be alert.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank chariega

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
  • Czech first
New York
Reviewed May 1, 2012

Girlfriend and I took this trip based on GroupOn deal, so overall value wasn't bad. We're experienced American travelers, so we had some basic expectations set by their website and other reviews. In some ways were were pleasantly surprised, and in other ways disappointed. Overall, for Americans, I would grade this place as average.

Pros:
1) Loved the pier -- you can spend all day there, and the swimming off the pier is magnificent
2) I can see how this place is great for kids
3) Best pina colada I had in my life
4) The staff generally tried to seem helpful even if many don't speak English
5) The beach to the right of the resort was gorgeous

Cons:
1) I managed to get ciguatera (aka fish poisoning) from red snapper that the staff at the restaurant recommended to me as the first dish I ate at the restaurant. It's not pleasant, and I'm going to be dealing with aches and pains for the next few weeks as it works its way out of my system. I'm not sure exactly the sourcing and cooking methods of the kitchen, but I would encourage some thoughts about serving predatory reef fish. The food is inexpensive, but also very average. Be careful what you eat. I was craving salad and vegetables when I got home to the U.S.
2) When we called the front desk/"24 hour medical service" at 2 am to try and get some emergency care for ciguatera (at the time, I thought it was Montezuma's revenge...I didn't sleep at all the first night), no one answered the phone. It's a little scary that you can very easily get sick, and they don't have staff dedicated to first aid.
3) Only about a quarter of the staff speaks broken English...it's the waiters at the restaurant, front desk, and that's it. It's helpful to have a working knowledge of basic Spanish.
4) To put it nicely, they don't really seem to have their act together. It's a bit of amateur hour, for a resort that claims to cater to Westerners. Story one: when I called for wifi, I was told someone would be up to my room in 15 minutes with the password because it had to be acquired from someone (why the front desk doesn't have this information immediately available is beyond my understanding). I had to call again 90 minutes later. Story two: When we go to arrange a cab the day before we leave back to the airport, we were told it was not necessary -- we could just come in the morning and they could arrange a cab in 1-2 minutes. Next morning, we learned that it is necessary to arrange in advance (although they were able to arrange something within a half-hour). Story three: Water slide was open for 45 minutes on a random afternoon with no explanation or timetable. Was closed the rest of the time.
5) The beach in front of the resort itself isn't really a beach. It's rocks, with about 25 feet of sand next to the left of the pier. Fortunately, the pier leads to some of the most beautiful, clear water you'll ever see and it's only 4 feet deep.

For American standards, the overall experience was very average. At the same time, we ran into a lovely middle aged couple who seemed like they were having a blast. I think it's really a matter of expectations. Just understand what you're getting yourself into. If you are American, you are not getting a resort that would meet normal American standards. You are in a country where you need to be very careful about the water. The service will be spotty. Most staff -- even in front-line service positions -- speak very broken English at best. You will enjoy an incredibly beautiful beach, but understand there are trade-offs.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank PWNYC419
detroit
Reviewed April 29, 2012

Beautiful resort on private beach..Wonderful restaurants and staff.. William is the best......Views from every where...Outside bars, chairs, loved the pier for drink and seeing sunset. Very clean and large rooms...2 gret pools. Loved the small cafe. for homemade pasta.....Delicious.

Room Tip: close to the beach...see view.... Staff: need to add more to breakfast...oatmeal, cereal.....bett...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed April 14, 2012

We suffered through a horrible night at one of the all-inclusive resorts, listening to a free concert through our window, that began again at 9am...and then searched around for a place that was more quiet and relaxing. Cadaques is everything we ever wanted in a beach resort - plenty of space, amazing water toys for the kid in you, decent food at a pleasant restaurant with great service, one of the most amazing curvy pools I have ever seen. The room was a little small, but partially because the bed was so large and comfortable. I will never look for another place to go in Bayahibe.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Gwyneth F
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed April 8, 2012

I had a wonderful experience, I enjoyed every moment and the service was great. I would like to thank William at the restaurant, he was always so helpful as well as the manager, Ronald. For sure I will be back....

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank grueda60
Ranburne, Alabama, United States
Reviewed April 6, 2012

We stayed at Cadaques from March 23 to March 27. I was a little worried because of some of the previous reviews I had read, but I was pleasantly surprised. The rooms were clean and the grounds were picture perfect. We do not speak Spanish, but everyone was super friendly and accommodating even if they couldn't understand us. Most of the staff spoke English, but I think they still had a hard time understanding our southern accents, but we are used to that. I must brag on our usual waiter at the restaurant, Richie, he was fantastic. He always greeted us with a smile, and made sure everything was perfect. All of the restaurant staff was great, we just became quite fond of Richie. The food was always good and also inexpensive. Housekeeping was great. I wish I knew our housekeepers name, she definitely did a great job. The front desk staff definitely had it together. They called us every day to make sure everything was ok. We had no problems using our Groupon. We were also able to charge meals to our room, which was very helpful. I do wish that the market would have been equipped to take credit cards or at least change a $20. We had to put our items back one night because we only had a $20, and the girl had no change.
For our transportation, we used Seavis Tours. We also did an excursion to Sanoa Island with Seavis. I highly recommend doing an excursion with them, well worth the money!
We definitely hope to return to Cadaques with our children in the near future. I know they will love it as much as we did. Thank you all for your amazing hospitality!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ashley P
Reviewed April 5, 2012

My first trip away ever with my fiance paul and I was blown away! So beautiful!. I would love to go back again someday. I found everything to be awesome, kinda wish they had some kind of transportation to and from places instead of taxi. At least to the little village 15 mins down the street. We walked ,took taxi back to the resort charged 10.00 was glad that it was not a topless place to go visit definately tasteful!! And fransesco is the best!! He is the man !! And the general manager was next best , took time for us telling us places to visit and things we could do I rate this place 10!! Resort and beach awesome, loved my time there!! Cheers, us here I'm Maine.

• Stayed March 2012
3 Thank lereindl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayahibe
Casa de Campo Resort & Villas
Be Live Collection Canoa
Be Live Collection Canoa
#10 of 16 in Bayahibe
Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa
Catalonia Gran Dominicus
Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus
Dreams Dominicus La Romana

Been to Weare Cadaques Bayahibe Hotel? Share your experiences!