“Diving Dominican Republic has set the bar so high, I’m not sure if any future guides can compete”

Diving Dominican Republic
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Family ran PADI certified dive boat operation in Bayahibe, on the Caribbean coast of Dominican Republic, specializing in private scuba diving, scuba lessons and trips. The schedule is done completely by the clients (weather / sea conditions apply). For about the same price you can enjoy scuba diving and trips only with your family or group of friends. You’ll choose the dive sites, make your own schedule, nobody will rush anywhere. We do not limit the dive times, the only limitation is the air, bottom time and the weather / the sea conditions.
Minneapolis
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
Reviewed January 4, 2010

After booking an all inclusive vacation to Punta Cana I had learned that the diving in that area was not very good. Being a newly certified diver, I wanted a Caribbean reef adventure. I researched on-line and found that the La Romana/Bayahibe area offered much better diving and so I began the search for a local company to book with. I found www.divingdr.com via Google and contacted them to see what they offered. I communicated with Denise via email, and found her to be very helpful and accommodating. Based on our conversations and all of the positive reviews that I found on www.tripadvisor.com, I booked a 1-day dive with them. When we arrived, they were very friendly, organized, and professional. They only take out smaller groups and have a more 1on1 type service which is exactly what I was looking for. The boat and equipment were up to date and in good condition, they took time to insure we were comfortable and did a thorough pre-dive briefing. The dive master who took us down was very helpful and knowing that we were new divers, she took extra time to show us what the reef had to offer. She touched and handed us different things to help us learn what could or could not be touched. She went above and beyond what I would have expected doing everything possible to help us learn while having fun. They have their own private dive sites; they do not go where the hotel/cruise ship groups go. The boat captain/owner Vladi, was very fun, you could tell that this wasn’t a job for him; he is a diver and loves to see others enjoy the sport. The only downside is that they have set the bar so high, I’m not sure if any future guides can compete. If you are travelling to the D.R., I would strongly recommend contacting www.divingdr.com for your own Caribbean adventure.

1 Thank torridone
demi56, Manager at Diving Dominican Republic, responded to this review, August 15, 2012
Thank you for a nice review, I am glad you had a nice scuba diving trip. Hope to see you back in our area for more diving
Thanks again

• Czech first
  • Slovak first
NY
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Men: Hold on to your wives. Women: Be prepared to be pampered”
Reviewed December 1, 2009

Yes, this devil of a man Vladi charmed my wife Nina to the point that she agreed to stay in DR and clean Vladi and Denise’s house in exchange for one dive a week as long as they would take her to 100ft. deep wreck of St. George.

But seriously: without repeating all the praises you will find on TripAdvisor, Facebook etc, I will just say – expect the unexpected. In my 15 years of diving I have never encountered an operation so devoted to their clients. As a matter of fact after the first day of diving with Vladi we did not feel like clients any more but, rather, like you dive with a newly found very knowledgeable buddy who is very eager to share his love for diving with you. By the end of our third (and final) day of diving with Vladi and Denise (a.k.a. Sharky’ Dive Shop a.k.a. divingdominicanrepublic.com) we just hoped that these people would accept us as their friends. And guess what – they did. ( I recon Nina’s willingness to clean the house did not hurt either). I now believe that having thousands of personal friends all over the world is possible.

All logistics of this diving vacation worked out perfectly thanks to Denise’s organizational talent and Vladi’s unstoppable energy. If you staying close to Bayahabe (we were in Dreams) the choice is easy. But even if you are not - I suggest that you get in touch with Denise and I guarantee you that even a 2 hour trip to Sharky will be well worth it.

Very Happy,
Nina and Michael.

demi56, manager at Diving Dominican Republic, responded to this review, December 2, 2009
Thank you guys for a wonderful review. It was a pleasure meeting you; Vlad had really good time diving with you.
Thanks to running our dive operation we are able to meet many wonderful people like you; that by the end of their vacation are our friends more than clients. Hope to see you back soon
Toronto
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“The TRUE Diving experience- not a Resort Dive”
Reviewed November 18, 2009

Vlad and Denise of Diving DR (aka Sharky's) are truly wonderful to dive with. Private boat, great equipment and excellent service. We communicated via e-mail with Denise prior to arrival in the Bayahibe area to book the dives. Vlad took us to great wrecks and reefs. I think the reef creatures must be his pets because we saw everything.
Each dive lasted more than an hour. We DID NOT have to deal with 'resort style' dives of too many divers and a feeling of not enough bottom time.
The price was a little more than the other outfits, but we received way better value.
Check out DivingDominicanRepublic website. They have the most info on dive sites in the Bayahibe area. I think Bayahibe area has the best diving DR has to offer.
I wish there were more dive operations like Sharky's.
I hope to see you again soon Vlad and Denise.

demi56, manager at Diving Dominican Republic, responded to this review, November 19, 2009
Thank you for a great review. It was a pleasure to have you here, Vlad had fun diving with you. Hope to see you back one day.
Thanks again for choosing us for your scuba diving.
Detroit, Michigan
117 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 143 helpful votes
“Most relaxing dive I have been on.”
Reviewed October 31, 2009

This review is a liitle late. Better late than never. We went diving with Vlad in August. We had a great time. We stayed at Dreams LaRomana, so getting to the dive boat was quick. Denise picked us and our gear up at the end of the resort property and took us to the boat. Since we were diving a second day, they took our gear with them, rinsed it and brought it back to the boat. It was nice not having to haul it back to the hotel room. Communication with Denise was wonderful. They were even accommodating with the dive plan. We were originally going to dive Tuesday and Thursday. But because of hurricane Bill Vlad thought Wednesday would be better than Thursday. Which was fine by us we had no other plans. Then unfortunately I was sick Wednesday morning, so we called to see if we could cancel. Not a problem, Bill was heading farther out so Thursday would be okay to dive. Turned out to be the better of the two dive days. We only dive once or twice a year and I tend to be nervous on the first dive. I have to tell you this time I wasn't the least bit nervous. I lasted almost on hour on my tank for all 4 dives. I'm usually running low on air after 30 minutes. I do hope to go back to the DR again. We already discussed which dives to do next time. We just can't go when a hurricane is on the horizon, so we can venture farther out. Thanks again for a great time. PS next time I'm getting my niece underwater.

Better late then never!!! Thank you for the great review. When you come with your niece, we are here for you.
Thanks again for diving with us
London, United Kingdom
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 90 helpful votes
“Excellent diving with an excellent company in the Dominican Republic”
Reviewed October 29, 2009

I was keen to do some diving while i was in Dominican Republic but as a novice diver who had only ever dived in the UK before it was really important to me to find the right company who would give me the individual attention i felt i needed. I contacted Diving Dominican Republic through their website, asking a lot of questions and the lady (Denise) who runs the company with her husband (Vladi) was so helpful. As well as advising me on the diving she also advised me on where to stay and really helped me to plan my trip.

The dive itself was brilliant and i couldn't have asked for a better instructor than Vladi - he was charismatic and funny and really helped me feel confident both in the water and before the dive. My friend and I both felt very safe with him. The fact that this company only do private dives was a real incentive to go with them as it is so much better to have the full attention of the instructor and to enjoy the experience with the people you know rather than with loads of strangers - it also meant the trip was completely tailored to our individual needs.

We saw puffer fish which were great and the best bit of the dive was going to the wreck. Amazing - I would thoroughly recommend this company if you want to dive in the Dominican Republic.

Thank you Joanna, good luck with your work and keep on diving.
If you ever come back, you know where we are.