“Trust the reviews - Do NOT wait until you get to DR to book!”

Diving Dominican Republic
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Family ran PADI certified dive boat operation in Bayahibe, on the Caribbean coast of Dominican Republic, specializing in private scuba diving, scuba lessons and trips. The schedule is done completely by the clients (weather / sea conditions apply). For about the same price you can enjoy scuba diving and trips only with your family or group of friends. You’ll choose the dive sites, make your own schedule, nobody will rush anywhere. We do not limit the dive times, the only limitation is the air, bottom time and the weather / the sea conditions.
Fort Mohave, Arizona
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Trust the reviews - Do NOT wait until you get to DR to book!”
Reviewed October 14, 2012

If you're going to the DR to hang out on the beach and MIGHT dive while you are there, I am sure the resort dive companies will be fine for you (maybe not as safe, definitely not as fun, but if diving is not your top priority, you probably don't care). If, however, you are planning a dive vacation to the La Romana / Bayahibe area so you can dive, but also want to have fun on days you're above water, you really need to find out when Denise can get you on their schedule and then plan your trip around your diving. There really is no one else to dive with out of Bayahibe. When you dive with Diving Dominican Republic, you are chartering your own private dive boat. No cramped dive boat, no novice diving morons ruining your pictures (well, unless there's another boat at your dive site), no time limits unless you have an ASP among your group. All the reviews are true. Vlad is an entertaining smart aleck, Denise not only took care of everything as far as scheduling our dive days was concerned, but hooked us up with a ride to Santo Domino that saved us hundreds. Carol was a consummate professional as dive master (the fact that she has a lovely Scottish accent and is easy on the eyes didn't hurt either, LMAO) - safe, knowledgeable, somewhat of a sissy as far as water temperature is concerned, but she shivered quietly, HAHA). Gato is not much of a conversationalist, but he put the boat precisely on the dive locations and was always close by when we surfaced.

Sharky's crew does not take walk in customers. If they're not coming or going from a dive, the shop is closed. We were very, VERY lucky to run into one of their neighbors in town who could call Denise and even MORE lucky that they had a last minute cancellation. We nearly got stuck diving with the resort company (which I'm sure would have been marginally acceptable, but in no way comparable to the five days of diving we did with DDR). Reserve early, pack your sense of humor, and be ready to have a FANTASTIC time. We will definitely be reserving Sharky before booking our next vacation to Bayahibe.

2 Thank Pyroknight
demi56, Manager at Diving Dominican Republic, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you soooooooo much for a great review, I don't know what to say :)
It was fun to have you guys, hope to see you back soon for more diving and more fun!
Thanks again

• Czech first
  • Slovak first
SOUTH WALES
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Amazing diving with amazing people.”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Just one word would sum up our experience: AMAZING.

The reason we chose Diving Dominican Republic was purely down to all the help and advice Denise provided while we were planning our holiday. Not once did we feel pressured into choosing our dive package and if one option didn’t work for us Denise always came back with other options which would provide us with the best experience. As always, we had a lot of questions and they were always answered and answered promptly which resulted in my husband and I doing our Advanced open water as part of a 9 dive package and it was amazing.

From the time you arrive your made to feel welcome it’s like visiting friends. Denise and Vlad just make you smile from the start and you can’t stop smiling all the time that you spend with them and the crew. We did 7 of our dives including our advance course and our day trip with David, but due to him going home to see his mum we had our final 2 dives with Carol. Both were very knowledgeable about the area, both above and below the water. We also had the pleasure of diving with Nick who was doing his training to become an instructor. All 3 were fun and we enjoyed our time spent with each of them and it’s very clear that even though they have fun with you they never forget your safety at any time. It's like diving with old friends.

It was really nice to dive just as the 2 of us and have all our dives tailored to our needs without having all the others diving with you in a large group, it meant that David and Carol were only ever concentrating on us which made our dives so much more pleasurable. Before each dive our briefings where detailed, from the dive site to the fish and corals that we could expect to see. Our day trip was a great day with a fabulous lunch provided which was eaten when we stopped at the shallow sandy bay where you saw the huge starfish. It was such a beautiful place to stop for lunch.

Our 15 year old daughter is a non-diver due to a bad experience, but David took time to talk to her about it and shared his own experiences with her which resulted in her doing a small dive with him. It was amazing to see her back under the water and a little of her confidence in diving returning. He didn’t have to do this and it wouldn’t have happened with a bigger company. So we must say a really big thank you to David for this.

We had an amazing experience from start to finish with all at Diving Dominican Republic and would highly recommend them for anyone wanting to dive here even if you have non-divers in your party. The best way to sum it up is amazing diving with amazing people.

1 Thank welshgirlSouthWales
demi56, Manager at Diving Dominican Republic, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Thank you for an Amazing review. It was fun to have your family with us, good to hear you had a great diving vacation and even that your daughter liked it. Congratulations to your Advance diver certification and hope to see you back one day.
Thanks again for booking with us
Los Angeles, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Not just for Divers”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Since most of the reviews posted for DDR are from diver's, I would just like to say we had the pleasure of "our own private boat" for our family of five to enjoy a full day on the ocean snorkeling, relaxing, and having the best darn day of our vacation!

Thanks to Carol we learned so much about the area through her expertise and knowledge, along with many stories and good laughs! The spots she and "Captain Goto" took us to for snorkeling were fantastic.

And, what more can be said about Denise and Vladi.....they are absolutely the most beautiful people you will ever meet. They truly care and make you feel like family. Along with Carol, they even helped me celebrate my birthday in Bayahibe by meeting us for drinks ~ another day I will always treasure!

So, don't hesitate one minute booking your snorkeling and boat trip with Sharky!!! I promise, you will not regret it!

Thanks Denise, Vladi, and Carol!!!!! You Rock!

Visited September 2012
Thank you for this great review, I am pretty sure it will useful for many non divers looking for a fun day. It was great to meet your family, we had lots of fun with you all.

Thanks again for booking with us, hope to see you back soon for more fun!
Atlanta, Georgia
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Best Diving on the Island”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

It's hard to know what to write since the other reviews pretty much have it covered. Bottom line: Diving Dominican Republic is the only way to go scuba diving on the island. My husband and I have been diving lots of places, and we choose to return here repeatedly. (Next time we'll bring the kids!) The island is beautiful, the dives are great, but what I like the most is interacting with Vlad, Denise, David, Carol, and Gato. They make the trip memorable. They are so knowledgeable about the area (under the water and above it) and about diving. I feel very safe underwater with them, which is important to me, and I feel safe above the water in Bayahibe and Dominicus. Whether we are in the dive shop, at a local cafe, on the boat, or under the water, we always have fun with the Sharky folks. ("Sharky" is the private boat.) Speaking of Sharky, I do appreciate how fast the boat is. (In Cozumel we went on some dive boats that were so slow that they limited our options for other activities.) We spent a week diving with these great folks and had a wonderful time. I wouldn't do it any other way (certainly not with the resort diving crews or the crowded excursions). Oh -- one tip for experienced divers who are diving for several days. Ask about the "non-local" dives. They cost a bit more, but they are worth it. Have fun!

Visited September 2012
demi56, Manager at Diving Dominican Republic, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
Thank you so much for taking your time to post this great review. It's always fun to have clients like you :) Looking forward to meet your kids and do some diving with them too.

Thanks again for booking with us
Atlanta
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Another Wonderful Week”
Reviewed September 15, 2012

This is the second time we've spent a week diving with the Sharky's crew. The selfish side of me wants to leave a bad review so they won't be so busy and I can have more time with them, but that wouldn't be fair.

My wife and I have done hundreds of dives all over the Caribbean with lots of different groups, and while many are good, none have come close to the level of service provided by Vlad, Denise, David, Carol, and Gato. Each day all we had to do was show up at the shop, and all our gear was cleaned and ready to go. At the end of the day we just stepped off the boat and the crew took care of everything.

It was a lot of fun each day to watch the cattle boats load up with too many divers when we had our own private boat and paid LESS per dive than the cattle boats. And since it was a private excursion, before each trip we were able to discuss our goals for the day and the weather and then plan where to go.
While service is great, safety is my number one concern, and again the crew was magnificent. The dive instructors were very vigilant, and I felt completely safe. Even after a week of diving together we still did a dive briefing and safety check before each dive. Despite our familiarity, the dive instructors never slacked on the safety, which I appreciate.
Overall, I have a hard time finding something bad to complain about. Vlad’s not much to look at, but his wife is amazing, so they balance each other out. David’s pirate acting skills need some work, and you’ve not heard Spanish until you hear it with Carol’s Scottish accent. Can you tell I’m having to stretch to find something negative?
To sum up, best dive shop crew ever, fair prices and amazing dives. One trip and you’ll learn why they have so much repeat business.

3 Thank akotter
demi56, Manager at Diving Dominican Republic, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
It was great to see you again guys!
Well, what can I say? Thanks for taking your time to post this, not sure how impressed Vlad is LOL. See you next year with the kids as well!