“Not terrible but definitely not the greatest either”

Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Bayahibe
Reviewed April 10, 2014

I visited with 5 other friends the first week of December, 2013. Chosen by one of my friends as we know the trapeze artist there (who is AMAZING, by the way! yay Libby!) but would not have been my first choice of resort and our visit confirmed my thoughts.
I will start with the good points:
The beach is wonderful. Lovely sand. Lovely water. Clean. Lots of chairs so you never get stuck without one.
The food wasn't too bad for an all-inclusive and while not the best food I've ever had, it definitely wasn't the worst and there was a good selection daily and good rotation of dishes.
The grounds are well-kept and quite beautiful and while most of the shops are quite pricey, there is one that has reasonably priced souvenirs.
Bad points:
I swear I never got drunk once there. Not sure what was going on, as my friends seemingly were getting drunk, but I couldn't stomach the mixed drinks, the wine was horrendous and for some reason the beer just wasn't doing its job. The few times I managed to get a mixed drink down I felt NOTHING. I am guessing they don't have a very great alcohol to mix ratio.
While none of the staff was unpleasant, I didn't have any outstanding experiences with any of them like I might have at another resort. They did their jobs, but I didn't feel terribly welcomed. I have read other reviews that commend the entertainment crew, but quite frankly most of them annoyed the hell out of me.
While this is not the fault of the resort, I wish we had known beforehand that this resort caters to the European crowd. Most of the staff does not speak English fluently, which is fine, but I really kind of felt "out of it" surrounded by mainly Italians.
The room was adequate, although somewhat outdated and not very clean. When we checked in the sink was dirty as was the full-length mirror. While the staff came in every day and took their tip and replaced the water bottles (which is all that is provided in the fridge, IF you get a fridge at all) the only thing they did in the room was replace towels and toilet paper and make the beds. They did no cleaning at all, from what I could see.
The walls in the rooms are very thin and you can hear everything in the rooms next door. Additionally, our room had a "lovely" view of the mud/garbage pit of a construction zone at the resort building next door. We considered asking for a change of room due to how awful it looked and the fact that the construction started at some ungodly hour in the morning and woke us up, but our other friends were on another floor of the same building as us and we wanted to stay close to them. Couldn't use our balcony the entire time we were there as the construction workers were chipping the stucco off the next door building on a scaffolding that was RIGHT at level with our balcony which for one offered NO privacy as there were workers 5 feet away but it also meant the balcony was continually showered with bits of stucco.
You would think that the resort would take this construction into consideration and not place guests in rooms facing the construction zone.
As a further beef in regards to the rooms, we had all specifically asked for an upgrade in rooms (3 rooms in total) as we were assured these rooms came with fridges and bathtubs. One of the three rooms did NOT have a fridge and NONE had bathtubs (only showers with a half glass door that allowed water to get all over the bathroom floor so that you had to put towels all over or else slip and break your neck).
Additionally, there are no coffee makers in the room and the provided water bottles are clearly refilled bottles (seal is broken on caps and water levels vary from bottle to bottle) which makes one question if the bottles are cleaned properly in between?
My last gripe is that the towel station is nowhere near the beach or the main pool which is annoying and makes no sense (never mind that the towel staff is somewhat surly when you finally get there).
In all.....if you get an amazing deal to go here and are fluent in at least one (and preferably several) European languages, by all means snap the deal up but make sure you inquire about construction at the resort. Otherwise.....go somewhere else as I am fairly certain the great beach doesn't make up for the rest of the inadequacies here.

Room Tip: Ensure that you ask about any renovations going on and request a room facing AWAY from that building...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed April 8, 2014

I have just returned from a week's stay at the Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach resort and wanted to write a very honest review about my experience whilst it was still fresh in my mind. Despite reading a variety of recent negative reviews on the resort I decided to proceed and stay at the resort as I usually read reviews with a 'pinch of salt' and find that my experience is very often different to the other reviewers. However, on this one occasion my experience at VW DB resort completely mirrored the experiences of a large number of recent reviewers and to sum what lets this resort down is the absolute appalling customer service and in particular the unhelpfulness and poor attitude of the check in and guest services staff.

Customer Service - What can I say. This was truly shockingly bad from the very outset. For a so called 4 star resort I had expected better. When I had initially made my booking via Hotels.com a few months prior I immediately emailed the resort directly to ask them for a list of all the inclusive items included in my booking, to arrange a transfer to/from Punta Cana airport, a list of diving schools they recommend and a room request. I did not receive any reply for several weeks and then sent the email again and still no reply over a month later. I then called the resort directly who then directed me to reservations who told me on various occasions there was no one to around to assist me nor was anyone available who could understand English that I could speak to. I called back a few days later and during working hours where someone directed me to Guest Services who then told me they had not received my email. I then asked for another email address to direct my questions to and then sent my previous email to this email address. Still a few days later no reply. I called back and then someone I spoke to in Guest Services said they had received it and they will email me back immediately. Finally a few days later someone only partially responded to my email and only with transfer details but at that point I had given up in following up on my other questions/requests as it was only less than 2 weeks before I was due to stay there so I just left it.

Check in staff - This process was certainly a struggle especially if you do not speak Spanish or Italian as the check in staff spoke minimal English and were not able to understand any of our questions. When we checked in, we were immediately told that our Oceanfront Bungalow which we had booked was not available and that we would have to stay in a room in the Palace for 2 nights before moving to our bungalow. No explanation was given as to why this happened despite me querying why this happened as I had booked months ago. This really should not have been a big deal but I was disappointed by the lack of apology or explanation and obviously annoyed that we would have to unpack, pack and unpack 2-3 days into our holiday and moving from one end of the resort to another. Also a very poor explanation was given about how the restaurant booking system worked and we were immediately directed to the Guest Services desk across the reception. In addition, the check-in staff failed to tell us that 2 out of the 4 plastic cards they gave us was for obtaining beach towels on the beach and we only found this out after we turned up at the beach towel kiosk without our cards. To sum, the information provided by the check in staff upon check in was non-existent and I had only found out certain information after prompting them. The guest service staff were also not very forthcoming in providing information that I had asked. Answers were one word and required both my husband and I to ask for clarification. It really was like trying to squeeze blood from a stone and were the most unhelpful and unfriendliest Guest service staff I have ever encountered.

Another example of the attitude of the staff was when our beach towels and my husband's beach hat was stolen from our beach loungers in the afternoon whilst we were sorting out our luggage to deal with our room change as VW DB had over-booked this room. So 2 things to note here is that beach towels do get stolen from your loungers. Of course you leave items at your own risk but pretty much most guests leave their towels behind when they go to the bar or escape for a while to eat their lunch so we certainly found it strange how our towels got stolen despite everyone on the beach being cramped like sardines. One thing that VW do not tell you is that if you lose your towel or indeed even if it gets stolen you have to pay USD$20 to obtain a new towel card. When we found out that our towels were stolen we immediately reported it to the Check in desk only for the Hotel Manager to immediately say that we have to pay $20. No apologies or sympathy that these things happen but immediately said that we shouldn't have left our towels and hat behind and we would still have to pay $20. All he cared about was that we would have to pay $20. We later then found our towels and hat dumped on a chair later that afternoon which was very strange. However, we did notice that during the later part of the day we did see some people blantantly take left over towels on the loungers who had perhaps had lost or had their towels stolen themselves. So beware these things do happen and the resort does not offer any sympathy or help if this happens. You are on your own.

Another issue we had was that the hotel arranged our transfers with an external company called Nelo Tours. When making this booking via email I was asked for my inbound and outbound flight details which I provided. On the day before we were due to fly back home we received a note through our door saying that our pick up was at 12.30pm which we thought was a bit too early and wanted to allow enough time for us to have lunch before we left. We then went to the Guest Services desk to ask if we could change the pick up time to 1pm, a simple request which we have done plenty of times on previous trips. The Guest services rep told us that this was not possible as they cannot change the times with no explanation as to why. He then told us that it is a Sunday and that no one at Nelo Tours works on Sundays despite them providing transfers for guests even on the Sunday. My husband then asked if they were a big company and he said yes and he said so despite them being a large company they cannot provide a telephone number so even we ourselves could change the time, to which he replied no you can't. He made no attempt to try and help us and just said it was not possible to change the time at all. I think this pretty much sums the attitude of the staff there and they are unwilling to help to assist with any specific guest requests.

Food - Now for something positive to say about the resort. The choice of a la carte restaurants, the main buffet and the Pizzeria certainly offered a variety of eating options. The a la carte restaurants have to be pre-booked and you can only eat at 3 restaurants of our choice of 6 restaurants once per your stay. This information was only unwillingly provided at the Guest Services desk and not at check in. Whilst the service was overall superb at each of the restaurants we ate at the food was only mediocre with the meats and fish typically being over-cooked and served dry and cold but having been to the Caribbean on a number of occasions I know not to expect gourmet food at these all inclusive resorts and set my expectations accordingly. The main buffet offered a variety of food each day and was different for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Overall for buffet food the quality was average whilst the variety on offer was impressive. The highlight for my husband and I was the Pizzeria (situated in the Palace). The freshly made pasta (with a choice of spaghetti or fuselli or tomato based or cream based sauce) and the fire oven pizzas were very tasty and the great thing is that it is a buffet style in that you can eat as much as you want.

Facilities - VW (Beach and Palace resorts) have access to a large stretch of beach compared to other resorts which is a definite plus if you fancy a nice stroll on the beach during the day or night or if you fancy lounging in different areas during your stay. One negative is that the beach is overfilled with beach loungers and the beaches feel cramp but my favourite part of the beach is by the main pool and beach bar by VW Palace resort. The water here is also the clearest and has less rocks in the ocean. Overall there is easy access to a number of pools and beach bars throughout the resort especially if you want to use the toilet or want to get a drink or some food. There are also 2 places where you can take out hobby cats, canoes on the (which are included in the all inclusive option as are all non-motorised watersports) and for non-water sport lovers there is an archery section, tennis courts and table football/table tennis in the main VW DB building. So to sum there is something for everyone.
Entertainment - VW DB offers a free show (mainly dance orientated) each night in the main building which on the whole were highly entertaining so I highly recommend going along to these. During the day the resort reps try to hassle guests on the beach to participate in beach volleyball, one of their dance classes or yoga classes during the day which is also highly entertaining and gives you a good workout in the hot heat.

Rooms - Both resorts are jam packed with rooms. It seems that some of the rooms are incredibly dated and could do with some maintenance or a lick of paint whilst some rooms we could see walking around the resort looked brand new/newly rennovated and the photos of which VW use on the various hotel websites to 'sell' their rooms. So beware - the room you may be allocated may not look like the one you see online. Our first room (before we got moved into the oceanfront bungalow that we had originally booked) was one of the 'tired rooms' facing the beach/ocean. It was incredibly dated, paint was coming off and looked like it had not been cleaned properly in a while. In addition, there were some suspicious looking stains on the sheets. Despite this, we were happy to overlook the flaws as we simply just wanted to enjoy the holiday and did not want the hassle of changing rooms again before moving to the bungalow. It was spacious with 2 double beds and were thankful that the AC was working and was in a quiet part of the building and were able to get a few nights good sleep to shake off the jet lag. The oceanfront bungalow was even more disappointing. Tired looking, incredibly small and not sound proof at all (you can hear guests in the adjoining bungalow talking very clearly) where I had to resort to wearing ear plugs to get a good night's sleep. On the plus side, the bungalows are situated near to the main VW DB building and near to the main buffet area.

To summarise, this resort is adequate if you want a cheap holiday in the DR with decent food and have access to a nice beach. But this is anything but luxurious. Being non Spanish or Italian speaking we struggled with obtaining any clear communication on the issues raised above with customer services, guest services or at check in. I would warn future travellers who do not speak these languages to expect communication issues regarding any specific or non-standard requests. From our experience we can certainly say that language was a barrier in the communication with only pure English speaking guests as we could clearly see these staff having much longer and enthusiastic guests who either spoke Spanish or Italian. This in combintation of the poor attitude of these employees was a real disappointment. This really is not a resort for pure English speaking tourists. If anyone from VW Senior Management are reading this, do provide additional hospitality training to your guest services and check in staff in addition to having more fluent English speaking staff onsite that can deal effectively with English speaking guests. This is the one major thing from my experience which lets the resort down and my comments certainly echo what has been written recently from other guests so I hope my comments above are taken into consideration.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank VDB2014_04
VivaWyndhamDBeach, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2014

Dear Guest

We deeply regret not having fulfilled your expectations as a guest with our services, facilities and accommodations. Also we want to let you know that each one of your comments has been taken seriously by our general direction in order to avoid situations like this may happen again.
We really hope that you will give us the opportunity to recover your trust in our products by visiting us again, so that, you could appreciate that your comments were very helpful for us to improve our services.

Reviewed April 7, 2014

We had a fabulous time here!! We stayed the first week in February 2014. Great weather all day, I'd bring a light jacket for the evening if we go back. We would definitely stay here again!! Beautiful property, not crowded at all, plenty of room at the pools and at the beach. We spent most of our pool time at the Club Lookea end. We had an oceanfront bungalow. Yes, there were updates that could have been made to the room, and yes the pillows were a bit lumpy and there were scratchy towels, but WHO CARES if you are twenty steps from the pool and ocean!? Plenty of fun things to do at the resort: water aerobics, all kinds of water activities including snorkeling literally right in front of the resort, no need to take a taxi anywhere! Catamaran sailing lesson (small hobie cat) stand up paddle boards, kayaks, windsurfing, a freakin' trapeze, beach volleyball, ping pong, bocce ball, scuba (which we did, the Discovery Dive is totally worth it)! Plenty to do if you get bored just laying around.
I think most of the bad reviews come from whiny Americans (and yes, I am American). Most of the people at this resort are from Italy, Germany, Canada, and France. These languages plus Spanish of course, are heard more often than English. Most of the resort employees spoke varying degrees of English (very good at the front desk where payment occurs and this is most important), and we speak a little Spanish so we didn't think language barriers were a problem. It actually seemed quieter around the resort without loud Americans everywhere....
I thought the food was good, especially at the dinner restaurants that require a reservation. (If you can eat at both sides of the resort, Beach vs. Palace, the Palace buffet is MUCH better, and Bambu is a must eat at.) The buffets may carry things that seem odd to an American, but still plenty of options for everyone. Lots of delicious food! We did not eat at Atlantis, we heard the $20 wasn't really worth it, and the other restaurants were amazing. Especially loved the mexican place, viva la cafe was good, the Mediterranean place was delicious, and we got into 25 which was the favorite of our group. Get the filet!!
Please don't let the bad reviews deter you from going. I was very nervous at first I admit, but we had a fantastic time and would totally go back. No, this place isn't top of the line luxury, but with beautiful blue waters, hot temperatures, and tons of activities for the price we got, I have no complaints! We were asleep early each night, but they do have shows and a club for dancing. We caught one show and it was a lot of fun, wish we would have taken naps and gone out for more!
Be sure to book your shuttle to the hotel from the airport through the DB resort directly. We did have a mishap when I called Wyndham in general, and apparently it never got through.... There are tons of taxis looking for business, so we did not have a problem finding a ride. It's about $120 bucks to the resort, but we haggled for a lower price.

Wish we had never left!! So beautiful!

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank lynn499

Dear Guests,

We can’t find the words to express our happiness for your beautiful comments of our property and as well you recent stay with us.

Thank you very much for choosing us.

Best regards,

Reviewed April 6, 2014

My mom and I (23 and 57) travelled to this resort for 7 days, March 28 to April 5. I chose this hotel on a whim through a last minute booking site, feeling pressured to make a choice as we were getting close to the date we wanted to leave on. After reading some of the reviews, I booked it, but felt nervous after having read them more thoroughly. We called a few days in advance, requesting a room on the second floor or higher on the beach side of the resort, rather than the Palace side, as per some suggestions that I had read about it being more fun and less oriented towards families with young children. We also requested a mini fridge because I have type 1 diabetes. I'll break the rest down..:

Check in/Check out: These both happened very smoothly. We booked with TMR and flew with CanJet, and after getting off our plane at the airport, we were given a ticket so that we didn't have to pay any taxes upon arrival. We also didn't have pay for any taxes on our return, or for the taxi ride either way. We were provided with a bus to the resort which took about an hour. Once we got there, we checked in and were helped to our room by two gentleman. Check out happened just as smoothly. We were unable to get a late check out as our flight was only leaving at 10pm, but were allowed to stow our bags in a room and able to have a shower before we left. We could access the room whenever we wanted to, and it really wasn't a big deal that we couldn't get a later check out.

Food: I am vegetarian, vegan most days, and diabetic. There was always something to eat, a huge variety if you're not a picky eater. I brought chia seeds and hemp seeds to supplement, and to keep my tummy happy. I also brought probiotics and digestive enzymes. I'm not sure if they helped or not, but I didn't feel uneasy. I normally stay away from bread, but the croissants there were so delicious, and even after having eaten them, I still felt fine. I also brought senna leaf tea which I ended up using twice. When travelling, it's not just the food, but also the environment, pressure, humidity, sun, among other things, that affects your digestive system. I suggest bringing a few things in case your body reacts, but in terms of food alone, it was delicious! There is also a pizzeria and poolside grill, but I didn't eat at ether of them. For lunch there is a buffet further down the beach at one of the a la carte restaurants (La Rocca), and you can also eat at the buffet on the Palace side. We ate at two a la carte restaurants, La Rocca and the Mexican one. Both were super yummy and had good portions. Drinks were lovely. The bars can get busy, but everyone is there to have a good time, so expect that. The bartenders are always smiling, singing, bopping around and seem to be in a good mood. I didn't mind waiting for my turn. I mostly stuck to beer and mojitos without sugar. I find that they add a lot of sugar to their drinks, so you can just ask them for without. My mom enjoyed the Mai Thais the best, among some of the other slushier cocktails.

Beach: The beach was lovely. The sand was beautiful and always kept clean. There was an abundance of beach chairs in and out of the sun. The palm trees were lovely when seeking shade. There was usually a few volleyball games going on, sometimes other stuff. There is a beach hut where you can sign out equipment (for free) such as paddle boards, boogie boards, kayaks. They also have wind surfing and little catamarans if you know how to do that. The boys at the beach house are lovely. I put sunscreen on everyday but still managed to get burnt on my forehead. So be sure to put lost of sunscreen there! The water is an amazing blue/turquoise colour. It is truly amazing. There are not a lot of rocks, like some reviews complain of. The area directly in front of the main buffet does have rocks and coral, but if you bring water shoes and snorkel gear, it is a fun activity. Other than there, there are barely any rocks at all. You can swim out pretty deep and still feel safe. We didn't experience any undertow and the waves are mild enough. I took the boogie boards out a few times and had fun with the size of the waves. Other than for snorkelling by the buffet, I didn't use my water shoes and never got any cuts.

Room: I had requested a room on the beach side above the second floor and that is what we got. Our room number was 3728 and we had a partial view of the beach. The sun shone in every morning, and we were close to a bar, the pizzeria, a second pool, and the beach. We were about a 5 minute walk to the main pool and beach, and about a 12 minute walk to a third pool further down. We shared a king size bed, had a small round table with two chairs, two night tables, a fridge, and a nice balcony with two chairs and a table. Our bathroom had a shower, a toilet and a sink. We also had a corner dresser and a closet with a safe, but I kept all of my clothes in my suitcase anyway. I brought my own pillow, but my mom used the ones that were there. We both always slept very well. The air conditioning worked well, but we kept it off most of the time since we weren't in our room. Our room was kept clean and restocked with water every day. Our cleaning lady was wonderful. We tipped her each day and greeted her whenever we saw her.

Activities/Entertainment: We did two excursions, 1)the catamaran and 2)snorkelling. They were both fun. The catamaran was the whole day, and we were able to go snorkelling at the first stop since we'd brought our own gear. I saw some star fish and a sting ray - that was really cool. We had lunch on Saona island, and had the chance to play in the water or relax. It was a fun day, but I got a bit burnt. The snorkelling excursion was a half day, and when we left it was a bit overcast. The ride to the snorkelling place was splashy and a bit cold, but the sky cleared up and we saw some pretty neat looking fish. I thought it was amazing, because I'd never snorkelled before, but don't expect to see sharks or anything unlikely. You see some neat coral, and some cool coloured fish. I enjoyed that. In terms of the activities and entertainment on the resort, the animation team works hard to pump everyone up and get involved. There is usually music playing loudly by the main pool and beach area. There are pool tables and ping pong tables in the lobby by the pool that are fun to use, as well as the ping pong table by the beach hut. The entertainment at night starts at 9:45, runs until 11, and then there is a party by the main pool. We didn't really go to many of these as we were tired by the time 10pm rolled around. Dinner starts at 7:30, and the show only at 9:45, so during that time we'd usually get tired and just go to bed. There is also a disco but it only opens at 12:30, so we never went to that either.

Service: We found the service to be very pleasant. Despite what the other reviews say, we had no problems communicating with the staff. The one thing I found really annoying and frustrating was the lack of effort other travellers put forth into trying to speak Spanish. I found that extremely rude. I understand that this is a resort, but it is still located in a Spanish speaking country. The reception staff speak English, but the other workers on the resort speak mostly Spanish. If you're planning on going on a trip to a country where you don't speak the language, take a few lessons on youtube or bring a dictionary. I know basic Spanish and was still able to have conversations with the staff which really contributed to how pleasant my experience was. Many of the staff know how to speak two of 5 languages which is pretty neat (English, Spanish, Italian, French, German). They are all so friendly, and seem to appreciate even the slightest effort people put forth into communicating with them in Spanish, even if is simply telling them to have a good day, thank you, or see you later. I couldn't believe how ethnocentric some people were! Other than that, there is supposed to be wifi in the lobby, but that was questionable. Perhaps it is because lots of people are always trying to access it, but I could only get to my emails some of the time. This wasn't really an issue though, other than wanting to send people pictures of how lovely the resort was.

Weather: We were blessed with wonderful weather. It rained one afternoon, but passed quickly. The sun is the most important thing to be careful of. I used a natural sunscreen with 30spf, and other than my burnt forehead, I was fine.

Overall we had a truly amazing trip. Perhaps it is prudent to call ahead of time to make sure you have a room and/or to make any special requests. Many of the flowers on the property smell beautiful if you take time time to sniff them. I always felt extremely safe, cared for, and happy the the entire time I was there. I'd like to give a special thanks to Tomms the bartender, Maximo with Crazy wheels, and all of the boys at the water sport hut for making our trip memorable. I will definitely be returning sometime soon! This trip was everything we had hoped for, and more.

• Stayed: March 2014
4  Thank jamasterj

Dear Guests,

We really appreciate your excellent review about your recent stay in our facilities. It is our pleasure and we are more than glad to read all the positive points mentioned that will help future guest to choose our hotel for their vacations. We are looking forward to have you back here and be able to provide you the best memories.

Our management have already receive your positive comments regarding our staff and they will pass the information to each one of them. We really appreciate it!!!

Thank you very much for choosing us and we invite you to come back in the near future, so we can continue taking good care of you!!!

Reviewed April 6, 2014

This place was not what it advertised to be! We were told it was a 4 star resort...I'd give it maybe 2 stars at the most. We booked 2 standards rooms, when we arrived one of them was ok and the other was not. The one room was small, exterior doors barely shut and did not lock. We went down to the lobby to get it all sorted out and they were LESS than helpful. We spent the first night of our stay in the other room on the floor. We meet with our Vacation Express Rep the next morning and he assured us a different room by 2pm that day. We went back at 2 to get our room and got the run around by the front desk staff. Finally at 4p we were led to a new room that hadn't even been cleaned yet! Very few English speaking staff and most were really rude. You couldn't get waited on at either of the 2 bars unless you showed them money and tipped them (tips were already included in the purchase price of our trip). The liquor was sub par as were all of the other drinks. Food was terrible, usually cold. The place to get burgers and hotdogs during the day under cooked everything. The main buffet was terrible...we maintained on eggs and toast with peanut butter for the most part. We made reservations for dinner one night and walked out before the main course was even served. We made the best of a bad situation, but I would NEVER go back again, I wouldn't even recommend this place to my worst enemy. I will say that the beach was beautiful!

Room Tip: Do NOT book a room here!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Mandy12345678

Dear Guest

We thank you for choosing our hotel to spend your vacations and for bringing to our attention your comments regarding your recent stay with us, but at the same time we are quite distressed to read your disappointment and to know that we were not at the height of your expectations, room accommodation, food and service in general.

Know that each one of your comments are very important for us, since they offer us the invaluable and constantly opportunity to detect in the areas we need to improve to get the total satisfaction of each one of our visitors.

Best regards,

Reviewed April 2, 2014

I believe this resort is under rated. The grounds and beach were absolutely beautiful and well maintained. There are a variety of accommodations on the resort and even though our room was quite small and dated, it was well cleaned and supplies were replenished daily. Our travelling companions were in a bungalow, which was very charming. There are only two bars on this large property; however, the bartenders were pleasant and efficient. The buffet had lots to choose from and the Pizza Bar was great! The hamburgers and hotdogs at the poolside grill were a little undercooked for my liking. There was a language barrier at the front desk and also with the Concierge (there were very few English speaking guests at the resort). Booking Ala Carte dinners was a little bizarre in that they said they couldn't accommodate our companions to accompany us at dinner one evening as our table was only big enough for three people and upon our arrival our table was set for four and the restaurant only had five tables in use during the time we were there. For our second Ala Carte they said they could accommodate all four of us if we would take an earlier reservation, which we did. Upon arrival at the earlier time they advised us they were not quite ready for us and asked us to wait outside for a moment. When we did get in, there were again only a handful of tables in use the whole time we were there. On the up side, the food at the Ala Cartes was quite good. I would be more than happy to return to this resort.

Room Tip: The Beach front bungalows were absolutely charming and located directly on the beach. We were close...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
VivaWyndhamDBeach, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach, responded to this reviewResponded November 3, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for having published your comments both positive and negative, about your recent stay in our properties. We note that in some cases we have not managed to fully meet your expectations. Please consider taht every comments from each of our guest are very valuable, so we can improve day by day our service.

we are waiting for you again in one of our Viva Wyndham Resorts to offer you a pleasant holiday in the next future.

Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach & palace

Reviewed March 29, 2014

From the very beginning this place was a disaster! An ocean front bungalow was reserved for my vacation and upon check in, we were told the hotel overbooked, so they were "upgrading" us to a better room. The bugalow that was booked was on the Dominicus Beach side was and were were sent over to the Paradise side, which was more like hell! The room smelled, the linens were dirty, the refridgerator,safe and phone were broken. When we went to complain about the accomodations we were given the run around. The managers were passing the buck and making excuses and not taking any ownership to make things better. It was a complete hastle. One of the managers, Jose, actually hung up on my friend! Eventually we were moved to another room, that we continued to have problems with. The plumbing was horrible and the toilet would never flush down without flushing at least three times. The safe broke and blocked us out several times on multiple days and we had to call to have it fixed. The resort staff had no sense of urgency to fix things in a timely manner and often left us waiting. The food was horrible. Breakfast was the only meal that qualified as passible, mainly because you had the option of eggs and they cooked them right in front of you. The restaurants for dinner were reservation only and you had to make reservations a day early. There is no reason for this because they were never full. The service was extremely slow and the food sub par still. By day two in this place my friends and I were already ready to leave.
The room linens were old and dingy, the towels felt like sand paper. One day the resort ran out of towels poolside.
The "entertainment" hired by the resort was nothing short of obnoxiuos and annoying. While trying to relax by the pool they would try and drag you poolside to dance and play games. Even at your complete resistance, they would drag you. While laying on the beach one day one the these workers stood over me while I layed in a chair and then smacked me in the head and yelled something to disturb me from my rest.
We decided to book an excursion to get away and try and make the best of a bad situation. Well, that just made it worse! It was as if we were kidnapped for the day and had no way to escape. And excursion that was described as "an all day trip to the beach of Saona, where you would stop along the way and swin in a natural pool with the star fish and take pictures. Then you would have lunch at the Ocean Side Buffet Restaurant and enjoy the day in the sun. A cattamaran would take you back to resort to end the excursion." Well, the "natural pool" that was referenced was nothing but shallow water. The host of the excursion then took a dead star fish out of a cooler that was on the boat and qualified that as our "swimming with star fish." The island of Saona had no restaurant, it had picnic tables set up with buffet warmers and food that was brought over from the hotel. The island was a wind tunnel and blew sand all over us while laying on the beach. The people who lived there bothered you selling jewelry, trying to give massages and trying to braid hair. They even had photographers bothering everyone trying to get "glamour shots" on the beach. It was torture! When we complained to the tour host, he basically told us "yes it's all a lie, but you should have known better. I am just trying to make a living, don't blaim me." Then he sais we were lucky we didn't sign up to go snorkeling, bc those people who signed up for that, don't even get to go snorkeling! The cattamaran ride back to the resort was the longest ride of my life and all I wanted to do was get back to a resort that we didn't even enjoy being at in the first place.
The alcohol we suspect was just watered down and barely passable as liquor. We drank on the beach, in the hot sun all day, on practially empty stomachs, and never even got a buzz.
By day 4 we had all had it. WE decided to leave the all inclusive resort that was paid up thru Thursday and go stay somewhere else. Just leaving the resort they made difficult. It took them an hour to send someone to help with our bags while our transportation waited on us to leave. Then they chased us down just to take our bracelets off and warned us that once we left, we couldn't come back in. They could not have paid us at that point to stay!
Do not waste your money on this place! Wyndham should be ashamed to have a resort representing their name. It was the worst vacation that I have ever taken and would never go back to any Wyndham based on the experience here. The help, the accomodations, the experience, the food....everything was an epic disappointment!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
6  Thank Kathy C
VivaDominicusPalace, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2014

Dear Guest

We thank you for choosing our hotel to spend your vacations and for bringing to our attention your comments regarding your recent stay with us, but at the same time we are quite distressed to read that we were not in a 100% at the height of your expectations of our service in general.

We sincerely thank you and hopefully have another opportunity to serve you again and recover your trust in our products in the near future and so you could appreciate that your comments were very helpful.