“Pleasantly Surprised!”

Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Bayahibe
Halifax, Nova Scotia
“Pleasantly Surprised!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 2, 2014

I believe this resort is under rated. The grounds and beach were absolutely beautiful and well maintained. There are a variety of accommodations on the resort and even though our room was quite small and dated, it was well cleaned and supplies were replenished daily. Our travelling companions were in a bungalow, which was very charming. There are only two bars on this large property; however, the bartenders were pleasant and efficient. The buffet had lots to choose from and the Pizza Bar was great! The hamburgers and hotdogs at the poolside grill were a little undercooked for my liking. There was a language barrier at the front desk and also with the Concierge (there were very few English speaking guests at the resort). Booking Ala Carte dinners was a little bizarre in that they said they couldn't accommodate our companions to accompany us at dinner one evening as our table was only big enough for three people and upon our arrival our table was set for four and the restaurant only had five tables in use during the time we were there. For our second Ala Carte they said they could accommodate all four of us if we would take an earlier reservation, which we did. Upon arrival at the earlier time they advised us they were not quite ready for us and asked us to wait outside for a moment. When we did get in, there were again only a handful of tables in use the whole time we were there. On the up side, the food at the Ala Cartes was quite good. I would be more than happy to return to this resort.

Room Tip: The Beach front bungalows were absolutely charming and located directly on the beach. We were close...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
VivaWyndhamDBeach, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach, responded to this review, November 3, 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for having published your comments both positive and negative, about your recent stay in our properties. We note that in some cases we have not managed to fully meet your expectations. Please consider taht every comments from each of our guest are very valuable, so we can improve day by day our service.

we are waiting for you again in one of our Viva Wyndham Resorts to offer you a pleasant holiday in the next future.

Best regards

Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach & palace

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014

From the very beginning this place was a disaster! An ocean front bungalow was reserved for my vacation and upon check in, we were told the hotel overbooked, so they were "upgrading" us to a better room. The bugalow that was booked was on the Dominicus Beach side was and were were sent over to the Paradise side, which was more like hell! The room smelled, the linens were dirty, the refridgerator,safe and phone were broken. When we went to complain about the accomodations we were given the run around. The managers were passing the buck and making excuses and not taking any ownership to make things better. It was a complete hastle. One of the managers, Jose, actually hung up on my friend! Eventually we were moved to another room, that we continued to have problems with. The plumbing was horrible and the toilet would never flush down without flushing at least three times. The safe broke and blocked us out several times on multiple days and we had to call to have it fixed. The resort staff had no sense of urgency to fix things in a timely manner and often left us waiting. The food was horrible. Breakfast was the only meal that qualified as passible, mainly because you had the option of eggs and they cooked them right in front of you. The restaurants for dinner were reservation only and you had to make reservations a day early. There is no reason for this because they were never full. The service was extremely slow and the food sub par still. By day two in this place my friends and I were already ready to leave.
The room linens were old and dingy, the towels felt like sand paper. One day the resort ran out of towels poolside.
The "entertainment" hired by the resort was nothing short of obnoxiuos and annoying. While trying to relax by the pool they would try and drag you poolside to dance and play games. Even at your complete resistance, they would drag you. While laying on the beach one day one the these workers stood over me while I layed in a chair and then smacked me in the head and yelled something to disturb me from my rest.
We decided to book an excursion to get away and try and make the best of a bad situation. Well, that just made it worse! It was as if we were kidnapped for the day and had no way to escape. And excursion that was described as "an all day trip to the beach of Saona, where you would stop along the way and swin in a natural pool with the star fish and take pictures. Then you would have lunch at the Ocean Side Buffet Restaurant and enjoy the day in the sun. A cattamaran would take you back to resort to end the excursion." Well, the "natural pool" that was referenced was nothing but shallow water. The host of the excursion then took a dead star fish out of a cooler that was on the boat and qualified that as our "swimming with star fish." The island of Saona had no restaurant, it had picnic tables set up with buffet warmers and food that was brought over from the hotel. The island was a wind tunnel and blew sand all over us while laying on the beach. The people who lived there bothered you selling jewelry, trying to give massages and trying to braid hair. They even had photographers bothering everyone trying to get "glamour shots" on the beach. It was torture! When we complained to the tour host, he basically told us "yes it's all a lie, but you should have known better. I am just trying to make a living, don't blaim me." Then he sais we were lucky we didn't sign up to go snorkeling, bc those people who signed up for that, don't even get to go snorkeling! The cattamaran ride back to the resort was the longest ride of my life and all I wanted to do was get back to a resort that we didn't even enjoy being at in the first place.
The alcohol we suspect was just watered down and barely passable as liquor. We drank on the beach, in the hot sun all day, on practially empty stomachs, and never even got a buzz.
By day 4 we had all had it. WE decided to leave the all inclusive resort that was paid up thru Thursday and go stay somewhere else. Just leaving the resort they made difficult. It took them an hour to send someone to help with our bags while our transportation waited on us to leave. Then they chased us down just to take our bracelets off and warned us that once we left, we couldn't come back in. They could not have paid us at that point to stay!
Do not waste your money on this place! Wyndham should be ashamed to have a resort representing their name. It was the worst vacation that I have ever taken and would never go back to any Wyndham based on the experience here. The help, the accomodations, the experience, the food....everything was an epic disappointment!

6 Thank Kathy C
VivaDominicusPalace, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Dear Guest

We thank you for choosing our hotel to spend your vacations and for bringing to our attention your comments regarding your recent stay with us, but at the same time we are quite distressed to read that we were not in a 100% at the height of your expectations of our service in general.

Know that each one of your comments are very important for us, since they offer us the invaluable and constantly opportunity to detect in the areas we need to improve to get the total satisfaction of each one of our visitors.

We sincerely thank you and hopefully have another opportunity to serve you again and recover your trust in our products in the near future and so you could appreciate that your comments were very helpful.

Best regards
Williamsburg, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2014

We were nervous after reading the reviews of Viva, but when we arrived it exceeded our expectations. We were taken to our room by a bellboy, but we were not told much information about where to find everything. It was kind of fun walking all over the resort and figuring out everything on our own. It was an adventure every day! My sons are 8 and 14 and they loved the beaches, the pools, and the trapeze. The staff was always very nice to us.

We figured out that the Beach side was predominately french speaking. They have a Club Lookea located over there catering to a french vacation club. We still participated in the activities even if we couldn't understand the language. The opposite side seemed more Italian speaking. The center of the resort by the main bar was Dominican and Spanish speaking. All of the activity (Animacion) staff were wonderful and hard working. A lot of these people were also in the shows at night and incredibly talented!

The food was typical resort food. I did prefer the La Rocca restaurant for the openness and smaller atmosphere. Everyone figured out food that they liked. My youngest most picky eater found that he loved the fresh noodles and made his own grilled cheeses on the presses. We all loved the burgers from the snack bar and the pizza at the pizzeria at night.

The property was absolutely beautiful! We also left one day and walked to an awesome Italian ice cream parlor a block away. I did find that the gift shops at the resort were very reasonable for their prices of local souvenirs. We did get some jewelry from a vendor that set up one day during the week. Do not take the first price. Overall we had a great time. It really felt like paradise. I would warn your children that there are topless women on the beach and that the men wear different types of suits that Americans are not used to seeing. LOL

I have to strongly complement how accepting and accommodating this resort seems. This resort is the most wheelchair accessible resort I have every experienced. There are ramps all along the walking paths that lead down to the beach. They even had wheeled beach chairs for people with disabilities. There also seems to be people of all types here able to be open about who they are without worrying about harassment. I have many friends that are GTBL and I would recommend this place to anyone.

My only complaint would be that they close the pools too early everyday. We were very disappointed in that rule. We would find other things to do, but my kids love to swim and the pools were beautiful.

Room Tip: We had a Beach Bungalow and loved it.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Tdjs8700
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2014

I arrived at the resort at 11:30pm on Friday evening, only to be told there was no room available for us. No room in the ENTIRE resort - or their neighboring Palace resort. They sent me to an "upgraded" hotel, all expenses covered which was also all inclusive - but I was not provided with wifi as I was supposed to have here at Viva Wyndham, I was charged $40 more to get to the airport when I left, and the beach was disgusting where they sent me.
I booked a resort in the Dominican Republic for the same reason anyone does - beautiful beaches. The water was supposed to be beautiful, clear stunning water from the pictures. Unfortunately I never got to see it and they sent me to a resort with a beach similar to the beaches on Long Island. It had merky water, sea weed EVERYWHERE and flys all over the place.

Room Tip: Getting any room would have been nice - didn't get to experience one
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kerrie_1031
Brookline, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

The VIVA Wyndham Beach Resort in Dominican Republic is a disgrace to the Wyndham name. We were baited and switched from the beach front bungalow to a room at the palace (an upgrade they said) after we confirmed our reservation 2 days prior. The room (the upgrade) smelled, linens were dirty, phone and safe did not work. I went to complain and the palace registrations said "you have to complain with the beach resort because thats where your booked your vacation so walk over to the other resort, we are over-booked." I asked for a phone to call as I was not walking back over to the other resort. Reluctantly they gave me one. I was left on hold by mgmt for over 14 min and was hung up on several times when trying to call back. We were discrimiated against in Spanish thinking that we did not understand. We were lied to about what would take place on an excursion AND the tour guide ADMITED we were lied to as well! Trapped for 8 hours and at our expense. We were only allowed to book reservations at the restaurants on the resort for a max of 2 nights and had to fend at the death trap of a buffet on all the other nights. On the 2 nights we went to a restaurants they were 2/3 EMPTY?!?! Why were we limited? Obviously the limit was not because the restaurants over book but because they want tourists to go to the buffet were they recycle the food. These are just a few of over 20 examples I can provide. My experience was SO AWFUL that my group of 4 packed and left after on day 3 after paying for the week to stay at a different resort. We forfeited our already spent hard earned money to get as far from this "Wyndham" as possible. I have already told friends, colleages and acquintances to NEVER EVER go to this resort. I was crying in your lobby on the FIRST DAY of "vacation"...how is it a vacation if you make people so upset that they cry. If you want 20 more examples I would be glad to share. BTW- for an all-inclusive there was ZERO alcohol in the drinks and we resorted to ordering bottles of wine and paying for them.

Thank you to the WESTIN in Punta Cana for saving our vacation!

3 Thank Sharon K
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

When we arrived there, they had a rehearsed speech saying that there has been an incident and there were no rooms available for us. We did alot of research on this place, and because of the Wyndham name, we thought it would be reputable and safe for our party of six. They sent us to the curb in a strange place to wait for a cab to a hotel they chose for us that we never heard of. We had no control over the situation and felt intimidated. They also said they would send someone to our new hotel to check on us and for our trouble they would give us all a 5 night free stay within a year to any Wyndham. Guess what? Yup.. no one ever showed up or even called us.. Stay away from this place, I have never writen a review before this... YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED... Very unprofessional not even close t what you would expect from a reputable establishment. con artists!!!!!!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank WorldTravelor c
Kansas City
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2014

We just got back from the Viva Wyndham last week and overall had a good time. We spent 4 nights there. Check in for us was a breeze, we were about 10 early on check in so had to wait a little bit for our room assignment. Once we got our room the bellboy escorted us there, we chose the garden view bungalow and it was nice. The grounds were amazing and I took lots of pictures of the bushes and plants, very tropical and pretty. Yes as other reviews stated, there is very little English spoken here so keep that in mind when expecting the staff to communicate with you. Overall the drinks were okay, we thought the drinks were much better in Mexico but they weren't too bad here. Lots of Europeans and Italians here but that didn't bother us. Lots of topless sunbathers and kids running around naked or the young girls were topless as well which seemed a little strange to us being from the Midwest but that's how their culture is I suppose. They had a pretty good entertainment staff and we enjoyed the shows they put on at the theater. Weather was great for us, mid 80's the whole time. Rained a little bit one day but cleared up not too long after. Water and beach were gorgeous! Food was okay, meat a little different than we are used to being from the Midwest. Ate the Mexican restaurant one night and it was good, other than that we mostly ate at the buffet and pizza place. Buffet was okay but the food was the same every day, we were hoping they would switch things up a bit but they didn't, same old thing every morning, lunch and dinner. So definitely book your meals at the restaurants if you want more of a variety. We had a massage while there and that was nice, enjoyed that. We didn't do any excursions, just layed around and drank and sat on the beach. It was a nice experience and very relaxing! Oh if you like pepper, as in black pepper on your food or in your Bloody Mary's, you might pack your own. They did not have any pepper in this resort. My husband peppers everything and went all over the resort looking for some and they couldn't figure out what he was talking about. So if you like pepper, bring a small can or shaker. Agree on other posts about the drinks, if you have your own cup, bring it. The cups are small and waiting for drinks at the bar gets a little tiresome so if you have a bigger cup, bring it. We tipped the bartenders every other time and it does make a difference! There was a huge line one evening and they saw my husband and got his drinks before everyone else. So tipping does make a difference. They don't make much money so take a little extra to tip if you can. We flew into Punta Cana International and had about an hour ride each way. Booked it ahead of time which was nice to have done, but there are plenty of transportation options if you choose to wait til you arrive. I think the taxi would have cost us about the same as what we paid. Interesting drive to the resort as we got to see the "real" Dominican sugar fields and workers and such. A little unnerving for me, but once we got in the resort I felt safe and all was good. Be careful if you do choose to leave the resort grounds though, go in pairs or more if you can. Overall we enjoyed it and got to see the Punta Cana side and we thoroughly the Bayahibe side much better, water was much prettier. We probably wouldn't go back as we've seen it and done it, so will choose another destination in the future but overall we did enjoy our stay and had a great time!

Room Tip: We had the Bungalow room, garden view and thought it was pretty nice. Didn't get to see any of t...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayahibe
Weare Cadaques Bayahibe Hotel
Casa de Campo Resort & Villas
Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace
Catalonia Gran Dominicus
Be Live Collection Canoa
Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa

Been to Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach? Share your experiences!