“Great time at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach”

Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Bayahibe
Reviewed February 18, 2014

I want to start off by saying that we had a great week at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach. To be honest I don't understand the negative reviews. We are a family of 4, (2 adults and 2 kids ages 13 and 12). We travel quite a bit and always with an open mind, we remember that we are not home, so we don't expect things to be like they are at home. We've been to Aruba, Cuba, Jamaica and Mexico to name a few other places. This was our 4th time to the La Romana area. In the past we stayed twice at Iberostar Hacienda and once at Dreams while it was still Sunscape. This was our first time at Wyndham Be warned, the resort is wide, there's a lot of walking to get from one side to the other, but it is also very accessible for people with disabilities.

Transfer from Punta Cana to La Romana:

This was the first time we didn't land in La Romana, and I was a bit weary because I read on previous reviews that the transfer from Punta Cana to La Romana was an hour and half to two hours. Not sure what route their drivers took, because it only took us 45 mins from Punta Cana's airport to the resort and vice versa.

Check in and Rooms:

Our check in was very easy, although we book the Beach side, we were placed on the Palace side. I wouldn't pay extra to stay on the Palace side, I much preferred the beach side and we spent most of our time on the beach side.Sure, when you stay on the Palace side you get a few extra perks when it comes to restaurants, but we prefer the buffet and ate most of our meals at the buffet. Our first room we received was in Block 51 of the Palace side, at the back of the resort, which was very noisy as it was close to both the lobby and the disco. We were able to change rooms after two nights and ended up in block 57, which was much quiter. Rooms were nice and clean, beds were ok. pillows are lumpy and hard. we had a problem with the toilet one night, called the front desk before leaving for dinner, and they had the issue fixed by the time we returned for the evening. If I ever go back, I would book a beach front bungalow.

The Grounds:

Beautiful and clean. Plenty of palm trees and flowers. Every day we would see maintenance staff working on the grounds. Painting the day beds, wooden walkways etc.

Restaurants:

As I mentioned earlier, we prefer the buffet, although we did try the specialty restaurant La Roca one evening. The onion soup was great, as was the sushi, but that was about it - the pasta and fish were terrible so we left halfway through the main meal and went to the buffet.
For breakfast we ate at the main buffet - it had the usual, made to order omlets, fruit, cheese, croissants, variety of breads. Lunch was usually at La Roca buffet near the infinity pool. The grilled chicken there is amazing! It also had a wood burning pizza oven, made to order pasta and salad bar. Dinner was back at the main buffet where there was a different theme every night, such a great funny And a must do is the wood burning pizza restaurant near the quite pool, which is open from 7pm - 7 am. We made a stop here every night before returning to our room. The pizza is delicious!! No one in our group went hungry or got sick.

Beach and Pools:

The beach is gorgeous, plenty of things to do or not. Plenty of shade. Great snorkeling right off the beach. You can sign out paddleboards, boogie boards, kayaks and small catamarans from the sports hut. There's also bocci, beach volleyball, and beach aerobics.

There are 4 pools in the complex, the infinity pool is gorgeous, at the far end of the resort near La Roca. Day beds facing the ocean, plenty of loungers. Zero entry and pool volleyball. At this end of the resort there is no beach access, as theres a retaining wall and lots of coral. The main pool on the beachside was always happening, plenty of entertainment by the animation team as was the palace pool. Never did go to the quite pool. All pools have plenty of loungers and except for the quite pool, they also had day beds. We never had a problem getting loungers by the pools or beach.

Entertainment:

These guys and gals work really hard to keep guests entertained. We went to two shows, the cirque style show was really good, didn't care much for the comedy show. It was a little to mature and too sexually oriented. Not exactly a family show. Before the shows at the main pool area on most nights there was a live band and dancing.

Activities:

There's a trapeze, bocci ball, beach volleyball, pool volleyball, archery, foosball tables and ping pong tables. You can rent paddles for the ping pong table from the sports hut for the week with a $20 deposit. oh an probably not a good idea to have the ping pong tables near thorny bushes. There was also a rock climbing wall that the kids really wanted to try, but on most days it was closed and the one day it was open the kids were told that they either had to be a part of the kids club or 18 and over to use it. This made no sense, so kids between 12 - 18 couldn't use it??? this really disappointed the kids.

Staff:

I found most of the staff friendly. My favorite staff person was Samuel (L. Jackson) a waiter at the main buffet. Such a funny, sweet, hard working man.

There's no beach service and no beach bar, to get drinks you have to walk to the pool bar. If you are on a part of the beach thats not near a pool, you will have a lot of walking to do to get a drink. None of the pools have a swim up bar. Room walls are pretty thin, could hear the people and could smell smoke from the room next door. Perhaps these are some reasons the resort is not a higher star rating.

Overall, great resort,with lots to do, but also relaxing, friendly staff, good food and drinks, gorgeous grounds. We would consider going back again in the future.

I think I covered everything, but if you have any questions, message me, I'd be happy to answer them.

Room Tip: If you are put on the palace side avoid building 51 - its at the back of the resort, close to the ma...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
14  Thank pujele
Write a ReviewReviews (8,150)

Reviewed February 15, 2014

We got ourself a cottage on the seaside. We had to walk 2 minutes to be standing in the sea! There were a thousand lizards around our cottage (if you're afraid of them, take the hotel instead). Nice big swimmingpools, but crowded at all times. There are so many little reefs at about 10 meters into the sea, so there's so much to see even if you're not a good diver/swimmer like me! Cocktails are sooooo delicious (included in al in Food was really good, they make different things every day. Staff is friendly, but depends on who you're talking to. Cleaning and gardening staff are the friendliest and kindest people you'll ever meet.

We loved our stay, it's located near a reservation too (don't go there if you're not carrying water or food, a big mistake we made).

It tends to get super humid here though, be prepared! (I thought i was, but no-one's really prepared for that heat...)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Selien S
Reviewed February 15, 2014

I am not a super picky traveller, I just expect the basics to be good, and generally they were. The biggest issue which was unexpected was the lack of english speaking workers, I never expect that everyone has to know english, but as a resort catering to outside visitors, they should have more help that can speak english, NOT just in the excursions where you pay money (which did have english speaking people which was great). It's frustrating to not be able to ask questions to the front desk, guest services, or the maids, even ordering drinks was frustrating if you weren't ordering something you could just point to. i definitely didn't feel the staff were as genuinely friendly as the resort we stayed at in Jamaica, I felt more like I was inconveniencing them than being a guest sometimes. The resort itself is huge, and extremely well maintained, the rooms were great, no complaints there, the food was ok, though I found a lot of "cheaper" type food more readily available, and seemed to be available every day, very little seafood, I found the variety a tad disappointing, but perhaps I'm too picky of an eater, though I did really enjoy the Jamaican buffet at the resort when we stayed there. All in all, it was good, but with the different areas of the resort catering to french, italian etc, I did feel, and so did some other english speaking people we ran into, that we were kind of left to just figure things out for ourselves.

Room Tip: Rooms on the farthest side away from the middle of the property are the quietest if you don't li...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Eve C
Reviewed February 15, 2014

We just arrived from the Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace. Most of the reviews we read before going were accurate. I will take part in the discussion with my perspective.

The quality of service and food was very basic.

It is a very noisy resort. The layout is such that all the rooms surround the pool area and the show stage with is open air and elevated. The loud music starts at the pool at 9.30 am and doesn’t end until 6pm. The show noise goes on from 8h30pm to 11.00pm and then, the disco (either from this resort or the neighboring resort) is heard loud and clear until 3am. Then the fans from the kitchen start at 5am. Again this could be heard from pretty much every room as all the balconies face the center gardens and all these sounds (except the disco from the other resort) is generated from the center. Sound travels here.

Every part of the beach has blasting beach music and some guy screaming in the mic. The nicest time was when it rained : then you could notice the sounds of the waves and the wind through the trees.

If you are looking for a quiet place to relax and have peace, this is not your place. You pay for what you get and if the price is all you can afford then expect not to sleep unless you are prepared to spend your holidays with ear plugs at night.

Hygiene, yikes! The beach and pool bars were so busy and under staffed. OK that happens, however, the cups were not properly washed. I notice these things because I work in food hospitality. The used beach cups were soaks and swooshed around in a soapy solution, rinsed and then piled up to be re-used. Most developed cities have regulations that required glassware be sanitized in a machine with a controlled very hot water cycle and a dosage of a chlorinated soap. This is designed to prevent the spread of diseases such as hepatitis and mononucleosis. The machines behind the bars are there. They are just not using them. I blame this on lack of concern and training from management. The workers, as little as they are being paid, are doing their best.

It gets worse. Some of the buffets and bars have self serve for sodas and beer. This is another practice that is really risky. The person who has hepatitis comes to the beer faucet with his used and contaminated glass , as he is refilling his glass it comes in contact with the spout. That spout is now contaminated and infects the next person’s glass. Again, in all developed cities, the law requires that beverages are served in clean glasses.

Although the risk of contracting hep or mono is low, the risk just got a lot higher at this resort. And if you happen to unfortunately become infected, you’ll know why.

All 4 plus stars resorts that I have been to post notices prohibiting reserving beach chairs. Not this place. There are people who come to the beach really early (before 6am!) and “reserve” 5-10 chairs and occupy swats of beach property. During the day most of beach chairs are not used but are occupied by towels. I was literally attacked because I “stole” somebody’s chair. Anyhow, it’s crazy and uncontrolled. Be warned.

I tried to talk to the hotel manager Mr. Smith, about these important issues, but he did not return my request for a meeting. The management just don’t care.

Last note. This is a tropical environment and at night the outdoor lights are devoid of any insects, or moths, despite being surrounded by swamps and stagnant water. It is a normal environment for mosquitoes. These resorts are sprayed to death with insecticides (DDT), so effectively that nothing survives. Word of caution, these insecticides are banned in Europe and North America primarily because they cause causer in adults and growth defect in children and developing embryos. If you are pregnant or travel with children you should consider an alternative to that resort.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
7  Thank Victor L
Reviewed February 14, 2014

The resort is large and well maintained. People are friendly and it felt very safe. I would grade the food D+. There are large quantities of low grade food. I got food poisoning one day after breakfast and spent the morning repeatedly vomiting. We drink very little and go to bed early so this had nothing to do with partying the night away. Lots of Europeans stay there and they smoke every where except in the restaurants. They are a bit uninhibited in attire and not in a good way. I don't think it is a good value and would not recommend it to family or friends.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mary P
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I had been reading many reviews on this hotel before we went and I was very anxious to say the least. All though we had two good weeks at the resort there was quite a few things that didn't seem to be okay. I will try to cover every aspect of our holiday in the review.

The staff:
Front desk staff seemed a bit slow and disorganized every time we needed to go there. We always got the help we need though. Housekeeping was spotless and a few dollars in tips gave the extra service. Bartenders were very different in attitude and skills. A few could make a decent drink and most could only serve beers and bad drinks. Again a few dollars goes very far and I made friends with a couple of them and always got the extra service and good drinks. The staff in the restaurants were okay but nothing special.

The hotel:
The grounds are kept nice and clean and the pools are clean. The beach is great with bits of coral rock so you might want to wear swimmingshoes. Remember your snorkeling kit. There are lots of fish and corals to see near the beach. The rooms seems a litte tired and old but are fine.

The entertainment:
There are lots of things to do in the hotel. Its not too much and if you don't want to participate thats just fine. The shows every evening are great entertainment.

The food:
This is where things go wrong. The breakfast is okay and if possible eat it at La Roca which is much more calm than La Terraza. Lunch and dinner at the buffet restaurant gets ols really fast and the different dishes quickly become boring. Out of 7 people in our group 6 got food poisening and had to stay near the bungalow for a day or two. Thats not okay! The a la carte restaurant are good. Especially 25 and Viva Cafe. You have 3 free times on La Roca, Viva Mexico and 25 a week. Book your table as soon as possible in guest service at the front desk.

Spend the extra dollars and try the restaurants at Palace.

All in all a good two weeks but if we were to go back we would spend the extra cash and go somewhere with a star or two more.

Room Tip: Book a Bungalow with a beach view. In area 11A.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Rasmus2100
Reviewed February 2, 2014

I stayed at the Viva Beach from January 17th to the 27th with a friend. Last year we visited twice but had some issues with our room in May. However, this time we sent an email a week prior to arrival and had no problems what-so-ever. We paid for a Superior room this time and it was very nice in the 2000 building with two queen beds, nice balcony overlooking the garden, mini fridge, and very clean and comfortable. Check in was a breeze.

The beach at this resort is amazing! The weather in this area of D.R. is wonderful with it being near 30 C and sunny the entire time we were there. These are the reasons we have returned to this resort. As well, it is easy to get around with all paved walkways and paths.

Unfortunately, I got very sick around the 5th day of my visit despite taking Dukoral prior to leaving Canada. I don't know if it is something I ate or picked up a bug around the pool but I could not eat much after that. Buffet food is the same at all the resorts and this is no different. I just wish that the staff would bring you a glass of water when you find a seat so you can go get your food and not have someone take your table - this would be very helpful.

The service at the beach bar is great with smiling, friendly staff, especially Raynoldo who speaks good english and makes great drinks! Managment, he is a great asset to your staff!!

Due to getting sick, we did not do any excursions but they looked like they would be very fun! We did take a taxi for $10 US to the little town of Bayahibe but it was not really worth it - nothing much there to see!

So if you want to enjoy the beach, escape the noise and hustle and bustle of Punta Cana, this is a great resort and would recommend it to all. Please be advised that this resort caters mainly to Italians and there is very little English spoken here.

Room Tip: Although the 2000 building was very nice, it is a little ways from the beach.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
5  Thank Digue
VivaDominicusBeach, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

Dear Guests,

We really appreciate your excellent review about your recent stay in our facilities. It is our pleasure and we are more than glad to read all the positive points mentioned that will help future guest to choose our hotel for their vacations. We are looking forward to have you back for a 4th time here and be able to provide you the best memories.

Thank you very much for choosing us.

Best regards,