“good food, good weather” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach

Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Bayahibe
Boston, Massachusetts
“good food, good weather”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

Just got back from Viva Wyndham. Had a great time. Food was very good, though it could have been hotter, especially breakfast. Lots of not to friendly Italians but I go to chill and dive so I don't care. Not much English spoken, but again, I don't care. If you go to mix this might not be the place for you. Read some reviews negative about the food, all I can say is if you want a five star resort, bust out your wallet and stay at a luxury resort. This place doesn't pretend to be that kind of place, but if you want a good deal and a buffet you can always find something good to eat (including really good deserts) give Viva Wyndham a try. Also, bring a handful of ones and tip your servers, you'll find it pays off when you are waiting at a crowded bar. My only negative would be the beach not bad, but better at the Catalonia.

Room Tip: Garden view bungalos were very nice and only a few dollars more per night.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank 589Rsmith
VivaDominicusPalace, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear guest

Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay with us, it is a pleasure fir us to know you spent a great time in our properties.

Know that all of your comments regarding the language barrier have been seriously considered an the point that we already started a English program in order to improve our service and become each one of our staff a fluid English speaking.

Hope you could have the chance to return and let us offer you our best attentions.

Regards

Customer Care

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2013

It was a short getaway---Wed to Sunday but we enjoyed ourselves and returned tanned, and well relaxed. We had an early flight 530am from JFK to Santo Domingo. The ride to Bayhibe was long and precarious, but we were on the beach before noon with a cocktail. We did not have transfers so we hailed a cab and negotiated the fare--$95 US.

Upon check in we booked our reservations with no problem except for the first night. We had VIP bracelets so we were able to eat La Yuca the first night at the Palace and have drinks at the VIP bar which served top shelf. Its at the far end of the Beach side which is away from the action, but our bungaloo was near the trapeeze so we were close enough to stop in for happy hour, and nightcaps before going to bed.

It is a European resort, they speak Italian first, Spanish second and English last. We were certainly one of the only Americans there, but no worries everyone was friendly. Just remember Europeans dress differently. They are dressy at night and topless by day--on the beach.

The buffets are very good, although we did not eat at them for dinner we did for lunch. La Terraza was very busy so we opted to have lunch at La Roca each day and it was less crowded. Breakfast we opted for a lighter meal and would grab a chocolate criossant and cappucino at the bar by La Terraza. We would eat at one of the tables there overlooking the beach or bring it back to our bungaloo and eat on the porch.

Thursday was my Birthday, so we booked beach massages which were excellent. Then we walked over to the Palace and had champagne at the lobby bar with lunch at La Yucca. For dinner we booked Atlantis--this is a $20 pp extra charge but well worth it. Its white glove service with one waiter per table.The shrimp appetizer was excellent and we opted for the $15 additional charge lobster, which was actually a one and a half steamed Caribbean lobster. It was excellent. Our champagne glasses were never empty and we each ordered a dessert then they brought out a chocolate cake and sang to me.

Friday we took the trip to Saona Island. with Bayhibe Fishing Center. It was $65 pp was the highlight of our trip. We were taken from our resort by van to the boat, with a small group and the price included Lobsters on the beach and a visit to the Turtle Farm. I highly recommend it!

Saturday night we ate the Palio the Italian restaurant. It was a disappointment. Not one of our favorites.

The resort was beautiful, clean and the staff was friendly and attentive. The buffets were wonderful and the specialty restaurants were very good. The beach is soft white, there are 4 pools and plenty of bars. The nightly entertainment was fabulous and the activities went til late and night with the pizza place staying open all night.After the show, there was dancing by the main pool with specialty drinks each night. We loved this resort and will return!

Room Tip: The beach bungaloos are not luxurious but they are on the beach with porches that were wonderful to...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank lollygal
Sayreville, New Jersey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013

I prepaid my hotel stay. However, when it was time to leave I foolishly gave them my card to charge the 40.00 from the restaurant. Two weeks later there was a charge to my account from a liquor store in the Dominican Rep. A card was swiped over there with my numbers of my account on it. I was fortunate enough the fraud department contacted me as soon as possible. My account had to be closed. I wrote to Wyndham over two weeks ago, no response. They were supposed to contact me in3-5 business days. I guess identity theft of their customers is not important.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank J L
Maple Shade, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

I went with a co worker after finding the package on travel by jen for 6 day five night package. La romana is a beautiful destination but the resort really needs to upgrade the food and alcohol all inclusive package. I got food poisoning the 5th day I was there and it lasted for a week after I returned home. After the first drink in the all inclusive package, I drank at the little bar next to the cigar store. The timeshare presentation is very disorganized..they can drop that because it is not what they make it appear to be, very pushy & don't follow through. I understand the country is very poor but Everyone, I mean everyone wants a tip..I will return but not to that resort!!

• Stayed July 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank ButterflySpirit2
Dear guest

We really appreciate that you spent your time to apprise us with your comment regarding your recent stay with us, know that all the constructive comment have been seriously taken a great opportunity to improve our service in general, food, drinks and our entire staff.

Best regards

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

We had a wonderful time at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach! The beach is beautiful, good drinks, nice coffee bar, refreshing pool, decent food, exciting entertainment & helpful staff.

The staff is helpful but their English can be limited. We spoke with many members of the staff, about lots of things-our home, their home, life, compliments and concerns and all issues were addressed in a courteous manner. Big thanks to Marisol & Brisson @ main pool guest services.

The food is decent. There is tons of variety and I must say that even a picky eater should be able to find something to eat. Hot, cold, fresh.... Yum! Pasta, pizza, chicken, beef, salad & dessert bar, soup, grill. Coffee bar @ main pool is great.

Beach, beautiful. Amazing fish swimming around your feet in the soft sand under the hot sun in clean, salty water....Paradise. Tons of chairs to enjoy the views.

We did have an issue with the kids club. Our children, age 6 & 7, were really excited to go. So we brought them.... We left for 1 hour.. Upon on return we discovered our children sitting alone by the pool. They were denied entry into the buffet because they were in their swimsuits so the woman left them sitting on the steps whils she took the others in. Nobody was watching our kids! We did raise the issue to guest services who escalated the concern. That being said the kids had a great time otherwise, even got to participate in one of the evening performances of "YMCA". We do not recommend the kids club.

Would we return? Sure! We had a great time and have tons of wonderful memories :)

Room Tip: Try to ask for a room in a quiet location... There is a lot going on at night at the bars, pool area...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank mama4bz
Dear guest

We really appreciate you beautiful comments regarding your recent stay with us, is for us very exciting to know you had a great time with our service, food and else.

We want to let you know that we already started a English program in order to have each one of our staff speaking fluid English, we really hope that you could appreciate our improvement in the next future.

Best regards

New Orleans, Louisiana
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

We visited my son and his girlfriend at this resort and had a difficult time getting onto the premises. We strongly recommend you do not drive in the Dominican Republic as driving conditions are dangerous and unsafe. We encountered too many dangerous situations to write about here. The room was average and the beach wonderful. We did not eat any of the food having heard first hand from my son about how awful the meals were. BE careful if you wander outside of the resort zone by foot if you are a person of color, as you may get accosted by guards with weapons. They only bothered those who were NOT white as they assumed you did not belong there, even though we were wearing bracelets given by the resort to identify ourselves. It was such a distasteful visit with few bright spots in many respects, we plan to never return to the Dominican Republic again-not even aboard a cruise ship! Apparently there is something wrong with the rating reviews because it was not clicking on the values we wanted to give and only let us click terrible. Service/Value/ Location/ Food was Terrible. Sleep Quality/Rooms=Average. Liked their non alcoholic pineapple banana drink best of all. The rest were crappy. Juice is a powdered mix, no juice content at all.

Room Tip: We went to a different hotel!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Angela B
Northbridge, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2013

We visited Viva On November 9th to the 16th. My husband and I and our twin boys ages nine had a wonderful time. We visited Viva in Freeport, Bahamas last year despite the horrible reviews and once again we were pleasantly satisfied we chose this resort despite the reviews.
We arrived early in the morning and I was prepared not to check in until 3 p.m. They gave us our bracelets and we had breakfast and spent the day at the beach. They held our luggage for us in in a locked room. At 3 p.m. we proceeded to go to our rooms. We had two adjoining rooms which my children loved. We stayed in the 2500's. The rooms were modern, very clean, fully stock frig, and everything working properly. The only two negative things were no view of the ocean and it did get noisy from 10:30 to 11:30 p.m. Luckily we are heavy sleepers. I didn't mind not having the ocean view since the rooms were centrally located. And were only there to sleep. The beach was absolutely beautiful. Very clean, great for snorkeling, fun waves and safe for the kids. We never had an issue with finding a chair. I do recommend bringing water shoes if you go out to the coral. We always travel with our water shoes and also for kids bring the floats or you can purchase one there, always fun for the kids. The women like their thongs and the men like their Euro suits. You may be shocked at first but then you get used to it.
Now, I must write about the food. The food was good. Not the best but it was good. The buffet was good, clean, and something for everyone. We only ate at the buffet for two nights. We ate at the restaurants every other night which I would recommend. They were all FANTASTIC. The only two we didn't try were the Mexican and Atlantis. The pizzeria was also delicious. The drinks were good. They do serve in smaller glasses but we always bring our own large refillable cups and the bartenders don't mind this.
The resort was mostly Italians. There was maybe 3% Americans. There was no language barrier with the resort staff. We don't speak Spanish and there was no issues. I must recommend the Sanoa island excursion. We took the motor boat one from the resort and it was great. Our guide Juan was unbelievable. He spoke three different languages so the entire group was well educated. The fishing island was great. We got to see and hold baby turtles. My two boys were also interested in the tour of the island. It was like a field trip and they learned about the fishing village, definately a must do. The buffet lunch they served was delicious. The highlight of this excursion was the gigantic starfish we got to hold on the boat ride back My children loved it. We took pictures of us holding the starfish in the water. If you want to get there faster, choose the motor boat which you see more things anyways. The catamaran is slower.
Our boys had fun on the trapeze. They work with the kids in the morning and adults in the afternoon. There is a kids club but we didn't try it. I can't comment on the nighttime shows because we are in bed when they start at 10:30 p.m.
Overall, we once again had a wonderful vacation at the Viva. The grounds were beautiful, rooms were nice, food was good, beach was breathtaking, pools were nice and staff really was helpful. We didn't find not one rude staff person. We look forward to next years vacation. We may try the Viva in Mexico and hopefully will once again have a a wonderful time.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank vacation161
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayahibe
Cadaques Bayahibe
Be Live Collection Canoa
#11 of 16 in Bayahibe
4.0 of 5 bubbles 5,317 reviews
Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa

Been to Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach? Share your experiences!