“Great Resort / Terrible Main office customer service”

Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Bayahibe
Reviewed November 20, 2013

A group of us stayed from April 16 - April 21st. at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach in the Dominican Republic. Our first impressions of the resort were good until we got to our rooms and realized they had placed us in the wrong accommodations.
I booked this reservation through my employer’s website back in January and we were debating whether we wanted the Bungalows or the superior rooms, however we didn’t know the difference therefore I called the hotel directly to clarify the differences and decided to go ahead and book the Bungalows. I had already seen the pictures and thought it would be nice to stay in this type accommodation They look like little cabins and seem more private.

However, after checking-in we were taken to our rooms and we immediately noticed that those were not the Bungalows we reserved and that we had been placed in their regular rooms. I called reception and they made us walk all the way back to the front desk (which was quite a walk) only to tell us that the rooms had been overbooked and that they didn’t have the Bungalows available.
I was very disappointed specially with how they handle the whole situation, they were not concerned at all and they did not offer an apology and what was more upsetting was that they did not tell us that they didn’t have the Bungalows, when we checked in.

After talking back and forth with the front desk lady, (who was going back and forth between her supervisor and us) we asked her why wasn’t the manager coming out to talk to us directly . Then, finally, after 20 minutes somebody came out and offered an apology but did not offer to do anything for us. We had to ask when would we get the rooms we had reserved and if there was a person above him that could do something for us and our disappointment.

After we demanded him to do something for us he said that he may had some Bungalows available the next day that he would pass on the information to the supervisor for the next morning and that she would check for us and possibly give us our accommodations. However, when we showed up the next morning the supervisor (who did not come out to speak to us and only sent us a message with the front desk) said to come back when the supervisor who offered us the change would be there. At this point we were fed up and demanded them to do something for us immediately, after they saw how angry we were getting is when they decided to give us our Bungalows the next day at noon.

We also noticed other people having similar issues which were resolved more promptly because they were traveling with a big tour company. Which made us realized since they were booked with a bigger tour company they received better customers service than me and my group.

Besides our terrible experience with the front desk we begun to enjoy our vacation, we loved the grounds specially the Bungalow rooms we booked. The entertainment team was excellent, they kept us very busy and involved, the night shows were great and the food was excellent. If it wasn’t because of the front desk experience I would have given this resort a better review. The remaining staff members were very friendly.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Diana Y
There are newer reviews for Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach

Reviewed November 13, 2013

We recently visited Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach Resort on November 4th-9th for our honeymoon. The resort is really beautiful as far as common areas go. The beach and the pools are very nice. However, our room was quite a disappointment. We were in room 1164. When we booked through Expedia we paid for an ocean front king bed bungalow. What we received was 2 double beds in front of the pool. The location was fine for us, the double beds were not. We tried to communicate with the bell boy as well as the front desk. No one spoke very fluent English and neither of us speak Spanish. Although we weren't excited about double beds, we were definitely not excited about the quality and cleanliness of the room. The rooms need massive improvements!! The box springs on the beds are absolutely dirty brown with filth. I never wanted to look at the mattress... I can only imagine. There were blood stains on the floor behind the bathroom door, the bathroom grout is nasty, numerous tiles were broken, the bathroom ceiling was coming down exposing black wood, there were rusty components on the toilet, the shower wouldn't drain properly, the walls are all rough, the bedside tables are ruined and names have been carved into them... I could go on and on... I have pictures of all items I have complaints about. My biggest complaint has to be the bedding situation... really nasty! Come on... surely this isn't acceptable!! Also when I am on vacation I do not wanted to hounded to purchase a timeshare!! We didn't come in on a timeshare and if we were interested in a timeshare we would purchase one!! Didn't like that at all...

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tijones
Reviewed October 31, 2013

My sweetie and I just returned from our stay at the Dominicus Beach Resort, and all in all our stay was a pleasant one. First, try and fly into La Romana airport, we flew into Santo Domingo and the transport took one and a half hours to get us to the resort. Check-in was very good and our luggage was brought by cart to our bungalow which was quite distant from the center of the resort. The room was a little run-down, but still very livable. Now for the food and drink, the Terazza was the banquet pavillion and the food could have been a little better, but there are other restaurants on the resort where a better meal can be had. One of the complaints we did have was that all but two required reservations and we had to pay extra to dine at them, something that was not made clear to us before we left the states. The staff was friendly and we always were treated with kindness and respect. The town of Bayahibe is right outside the entrance to the resort with many shops to find that must have souvenir, but be warned, the shopowners and sales people can be very aggressive in trying to sell their wares, stay friendly to them and just say "no thank you". We have been to the DR a good many times and do recommend going there because it is a beautiful country with gorgeous beaches at a very affordable price.

Room Tip: Try for a bungalow, but not directly on the beach, some of the activities on the beach can be very l...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
VivaDominicusBeach, Public Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Dear Visitor,

Thank you very much for your review, It is really a pleasure for us to know that you spent a great time in our facilities.

We hope that you give us the chance to serve you again in the near future to offer once again our best attentions.

Best regards

Customer Care

Reviewed October 30, 2013

First of all, boring, nothing to do, stupid and full of themselves animation staff, dj? what dj? only hears bass sounds, wich you will hear also in your room late at night, stupid music for drunken teenagers, food just good for prisoners, no decent alcohol in drinks or almost nothing.
It's appaling really that Wyndham gives its name to this place, they should rethink that and soon!
The site is pretty, nice bungalows, from the outside, inside is very outdated, besides the flatscreen tv. Some rooms are modern, some are disgusting, some are outside! yes outside the resort, in the 'village' section, you have to cross the street, but they are updated and big, besides the shower....
On arrival the problems begon, I had reserved a bungalow and they tried to give me a room in some building, wich I refused, so, 30 minutes of needless discussion and I got a bungalow, with broken airco, so another hour later a technician and then the safe wouldn't work, another 30 min' later a woman from reception, who spoke only spanish, tried to explain why it didn't work, I said I didn't care why, just make it work or give me another one, room or safe, Jesus!
I arrived at 11H30 pm and could go to sleep at 4 am with all that bulls"t!
Breakfast: better at the 'pizzeria' section, the pancakes are soft and kept warm, at the big buffet at La Rocca not.
Lunch and dinner: go eat outside in Bayahibe is my advice, I ate more often outside the hotel than inside, so bring $$$$$$ or pesos!
The restaurants 'a la carte' are a joke, only the '25' has good beef, but only that...
Every time I went for a coffee at the bar La Placita i left a dollar note, so service was very good and the smiles always present, even when ten people waited for coffee, when they saw me I was served before the others, so a one dollar note helps!!!
Don't go for the invitation for the 'Viva VIP' thing they ask you for, it's timesharing jibberish timewasting your vacation and only helps themselves, they all work on commission....
Only good thing is the beach, no annoying vendors on them, not one!!!
Shops on site are plentifull and expensive, better go outside, just in front or the second street on your left, in front of restaurant 'Le Vivier', a little supermarket with giftshop, cheaper than the ones in the first street and no one trying to sell you stuff you don't need.
If you like seafood DO try 'Le Vivier', excellent langouste and even 'cigale de mer', some prehistoric lobster, better than langouste, french chef in the kitchen, I truly recommend this place :-)
If you are on a budget and you can go there cheap, Very cheap I mean, ok, go, but I warned you, and others also, read the reviews, the good ones are written by people who get paid to do so, it's the only explanation, or people for who it was their first trip to the Carribean islands, with no experience of other hotels.
I'm 48 years old and go to the Dominican Republic since1986, 3-4 times a year, so I know if it's worth it or not, and here, I Don't Think So, They will not see me again.
I only recommend this place for Italians, 80% of visitors and everything catered for them and towards them.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank dubcreator
VivaDominicusBeach, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Dear Guest

We deeply regret not having fulfilled your expectations as a guest with our services, facilities and accommodations. Also we want to let you know that each one of your comments has been taken seriously by our general direction in order to avoid situations like this may happen again.

We really hope that you will give us the opportunity to recover your trust in our products by visiting us again, so that, you could appreciate that your comments were very helpful for us to improve our services.

Best regards

Customer Care

Reviewed October 28, 2013

Unless you are saving a bundle, are OK with more rules that anyone dare put in writing, lots of starchy foods, and 12 hours a day of blasted disco music so loud it overpowers the sound of the waves on the beach, do not stay here. This is also the case with the adjacent, connected and identically run Wyndam Palace.

It is very interesting that the lower an employee here is on the employment ladder, the nicer they are to the guests. The housekeeping, maintenance, and front desk staff are extremely polite, albeit they rarely follow up on anything promised you. The worst group to deal with are those in "Membership Services". They just lie to your face and enjoy it. And good luck staying here without having to interact with them.

It is an open secret that even VIP members here will have to work with Membership Services for commonly 2 full days before any room issues are resolved e.g. no a/c, noise, etc. And I do not mean just telling them the problem and waiting for them to get back to you - they won't. You have to become the loudest squeaky wheel, which you will after you have exhausted the time you are willing to be polite with no progress made.

And a particular note about air conditioning. You will be using it, and good luck. Some rooms have thermostats. Too bad they do not work. Others do not even have that. You get to choose from high,medium or low air conditioning with no temperature controls for on or off at all. So, how does one keep the room at a comfortable temperature. By manually turning the a/c on and off, even during the night!!! So much for a night's sleep. Really this is unbelievable yet true. And I am talking about both in "renovated" rooms and rooms that have not been.

Being here is truly not a relaxing vacation - more of a battle at the beach. Oh, and just for added measure, there is seven day a week, 6am to 10pm construction going on of a new wing located along the invisible line between Beaches and Palace. So if the disco doesn't drive you crazy, the concrete hammers will. Maybe you will even be lucky enough to get stereo - disco on one side of your room, and hammers on the other.

What is left for the imagination to answer is where is professional management? We could not find any. How difficult is it for properly trained and experienced management to realize guests may want to hear the waves?

Room Tip: A tip to get a good room? Plan on wasting 2 to 3 days of your vacation fighting for one.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank mrm985
Reviewed October 26, 2013

we have been to Viva four times and it was extremely disappointing this time around. food was horrible, room accommodations was horrific, no lights in room for entire stay, and bed sheets had feces on them. first two nights the air conditioning wasn't working. we complained the first night and nothing happened. they didn't come until the third night to fix it. All sodas were flat, and the wine tasted like sewage.... CHEAP!!!!! showers had no water pressure. the coffee was great!

Room Tip: ask for a bungalow on the beach!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Bethesda123
Reviewed October 26, 2013 via mobile

First of all a beautifull resort .... i got there late .... when i got to the lobby and they gave the keys to the room he tried to show me where my room was instead of taking me to my room .... i felt disrepected but i let it go and tried to enjoy my vacation ... after that everithing was almost great ... nice cold beer and great staff .... the restaurants were no as i expected exept the buffet restaurant that was great with great varaity.... will go back when i get the oportunity

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family