“Beautiful resort”

Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Bayahibe
London, United Kingdom
“Beautiful resort”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

What a great holiday and what a beautiful resort. One of the best I have visited. Everything you need is in there and all the staff is very willing to help you. Need to improve a bit on the quality of food and drinks choice though. Recommended

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
VivaDominicusPalace, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear Visitor

We are very happy to know that you and your family spent a great time in our facilities. We are also glad to know that we managed to fulfill your expectations about our given services, staff, food and the service in general.

In Viva Wyndham Resorts we are eagerly expecting your return to once again offer you our best attentions and services.

Customer Care

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (349)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

The reviews and website site photos made me believe that this was going to be a great resort and once we arrived, we quickly learned that we had been fooled. While the oceanfront view was great, the rooms were COMPLETELY outdated (tile floors cracked, bathroom hadn't been updated in probably 30 years, pillows were cheap, etc.), the air conditioning didn't work properly for 2 days (they had it set on a sensor that started it when the door opened, but it only stayed on for 30 minutes), the staff was not friendly, and the food was average. It is also EXTREMELY important to note that the resort was not very American friendly. Most of the staff spoke multiple languages - spanish, french, italian, etc - but very few spoke English so if you didn't know another language, it was a challenge. There were very little activities, the bars didn't open until 11 (no swim up pool bar), and no one walked around taking drink / food orders. Possibly the worst was getting bamboozled by a member of the Concierge staff. When we first arrived at the hotel, this individual found us and told us that he would help us with whatever we needed at the resort as it was our first time. So we met the person the next morning thinking he was going to assist us with making dinner reservations, and it turns out he was trying to sell us a timeshare. While the time spent at the pool, and the excursion to Saona Island were absolutely incredible, I wouldn't stay at this resort again if it was free. I cannot believe that it has the Wyndham name. I will never again be fooled by a brand......completely and totally subpar accommodations.

Room Tip: Get the oceanview
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank Melissa G
Bronx, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

I read all the reviews prior to visiting and was literally scared for my life. The resort itself is beautiful!! The beach is amazing and all the people were great! My group does speak a little spanish, enough to get around and survive, it's kind of a must when you live in New York. If you don't speak, Spanish, Italian, or French you are pretty muched screwed. The people were nice, the resort was beautiful, the food however sucked! The breakfast buffet was constantly being swarmed with flies, the meat was undercooked, and the...I can go on and on about the food but let's just end it and say it was horrible. The food at the seafood restaurant was great, they have an unlisted whole lobster that is available, get it! The waitress and waiters at each of our reserved seating restuarants were so nice and friendly. We were a group of loud and rowdy women, so if they could handle us and joke along with us then they were A OK in my book. I wish I could remember everyone's name. As far as everyone getting sick I would just say, don't drink the water, duh! The water at the restaurants and at the bars were already filtered so we were fine. The only staff that were a bit annoying were the paid entertainers, the men were a little too pushy and arrogant. Like everyone said this is mostly a European catered resort, which is fine, just don't be upset when a group of loud, rowdy, Italian men serenade you (we loved it!). I would definitely recommend going outside of the gates and enjoying the city. There was a restaurant outside of the gates, I believe it was an Italian/Seafood restaurant. Please for the love of all things good, go to this restaurant!!! The food was amazing and just like everything else in DR, it was super cheap. The waitress at this restaurant was absolutely gorgeous and the nicest person EVER!!. I complained at first about having so much Italian food options for food in DR but when in Rome. The rooms could use a little updating but then again we were not there to stay in the room, so we didn't mind. We had a garden view bungalow which happened to have a view of the ocean since it was the last bungalow in the front row, score!

Did I say the food at the resort (buffets) was horrible. STAY AWAY FROM THE ALL PIZZA RESTAURANT!!! I'm not exactly sure how it qualifies as pizza but don't do it to yourselves.

All in all:
Resort was beautiful
Food was pretty bad
Staff was great
Room mediocre

Room Tip: Go for the bungalows.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank mellanie_g
Maple Shade, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

I went with a co worker after finding the package on travel by jen for 6 day five night package. La romana is a beautiful destination but the resort really needs to upgrade the food and alcohol all inclusive package. I got food poisoning the 5th day I was there and it lasted for a week after I returned home. After the first drink in the all inclusive package, I drank at the little bar next to the cigar store. The timeshare presentation is very disorganized..they can drop that because it is not what they make it appear to be, very pushy & don't follow through. I understand the country is very poor but Everyone, I mean everyone wants a tip..I will return but not to that resort!!

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank ButterflySpirit2
Montreal, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

I have stayed at the Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach at least 7-8 times so far....

There are 3 parts
The Wyndham Dominicus Village (usually the cheapest) but largest rooms and most modern
The Wyndham Dominicus Beach (directly on the site) great for the price
The Wyndham Dominicus Palace (directly on the site) but more expensive and besides all the animation, shows at night are on the Beach side.

There are only a few advantages of paying so much more to go to the Palace side... The rooms are usually nicer and bigger and you get 2 extra a la carte restaurants... To me, it was not worth the extra cost. If you stay on the Beach side you have access to beach area of the Beach and the Palace.

My best room I stayed in was at the Dominicus Village. It is across the little street oustide the resort site but... to me it was wroth the price and the extra 2 min. walk. the room was way bigger and newer than the rooms and the Bungalows on the Viva Wyndham Beach.

The good thing about the bungalows is that, they are closer to the buffet and the beautiful big pool...

Over all for me ... BEAUTIFUL resort, friendly people, lots of Italians and French, very few Canadians and Americans...

I think the Viva Wyndham in Dominicus is close to everything, all the shops, restaurants and the next village Bayahibe, were I love to hang out between 5pm to 9pm.

Many excursions for exemple Saona leave from Bayahibe so great because you are only 5 min. away.

Overall, this hotel is my favorite.

The beach is: nice 4 out 5

the food, plenty of variety: 4 of 5, by the way, during lunch there are 2 buffets on the Beach side because by the pool there is a buffet there too ( The Roca restaurant ) is a a la carte restaurant at night but in the middle of the day it's a buffet too, many people don't know that. So there are less people and the food is great.

At night there are a few a la carte restaurants but you have to reserve at the reception 2-3 days in advance. (free of charge), there is a Casino for techno beats (dancing) and gambling. Not a typical local club.
If you want typical you have to go out to Bayahibe the next village over of 20 min. away in Laromana.
You can also dance the night away at the disco on the resort. It is on the Palace side but everyone on the resort has access to the club. They play all kinds of music including local music.

The location of the hotel for the area: 5 out of 5

PLEASE don't hesitate to reserve your excursions right outside the hotel (in front) ... the outside excursions are cheaper and way better customer service.

VIVA la vida en Dominicus...
HAVE fun and enjoy it!!!

Room Tip: the rooms at the Village are bigger and newer
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank thelittletraveller
VivaDominicusBeach, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you very much for apprise us with your comments regarding your recent stay in our property. We are more than glad to read all of your positive comments and also glad to know that we are reaching our goal which is the total satisfaction of each one of our visitor.

We hope to have the chance of being your selection once again for your future vacations.

Huntington Beach, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013

Where do I begin? I have traveled to over 40 countries and stayed in places like hostels, bed & breakfast, tents, hotels, resorts, 2 star to 5 star luxury hotels. When I tell you I have seen my share of accommodations, I truly have been around the travel block. The rooms where about the filthiest I've ever seen. We asked to be changed twice at checking and decided to leave it as no rooms would be cleaner. Hairs in the floor, bathroom sink and around every corner. Above the dresser was so much sticky stuff you could not distinguish if it was food or simply filth from months before. Again, we booked 2 rooms and moved 3 times so we went into 6 rooms total and they were ALL the same. They don't even try to pretend to clean properly. It was simply disgusting!!! I actually put a t-shirt around my pillow to sleep every night and did not take my shoes off in the room for a second.

They sell you a 6-8 restaurant resort, but do not get fooled. There is only 1 you can eat 3 meals a day, and that is the buffet. Food is mediocre and nothing special. The other so-called restaurants are cafeteria-style that serve burgers or really bad pizza certain times during the day. There is a Mexican restaurant that you can ONLY go if you make a reservation the day before. Same day walk-ins get sent away.

Activities? Well you better be 18 and older or you wont be able to do anything in the water. Kayak, Paddle Boarding, you need to be with an 18 year-old. Dive? You need to pay. Excursions like snorkeling, you need to pay. So really there is 3 pools and a beach to entertain yourself; which by the way, has super loud music almost all day. So you have to put up with loud Latin, Techno, Dance music or simply go to the furthest point you can find at the beach. Meaning every time you want a drink, you need to walk for about 5 minutes back and forward. One good thing is the beach, really pretty indeed, THANK GOD!!! And they do keep the grounds clean. There is a couple ping-pong tables and pool tables. There is a show every evening and all I can tell you is, your kids' school play would probably be a lot better. These shows are beyond bad, simply the worse I have seen outside a high school or preschool. BAD, BAD, BAD...they were so bad I laughed so hard it felt like a comedy show.

They staff tries to do what they can but really they are so badly managed they do not know what good is. They are nice and friendly but when you tell them why is the room so dirty, they tell you "let me go get the mop". The mop?? Really???

Spend your money somewhere else and do yourself and family a favor...STAY AWAY FROM THIS RESORT AT ALL COSTS. It is a complete waste of money and health.

Room Tip: A good room? NONE! Go to a different hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Gabylana
VivaDominicusBeach, General Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thanks for bringing to our attention your feedback regarding your recent stay in our property, it’s sad to know that we didn’t meet your expectation with our services, and not just that, to know that your holidays weren’t comfortable at all.

We respect all your comments and points before mentioned since our goal is to offer our guest the best service and satisfaction.

Receive our deepest apologies and we hope to have the opportunity in the near future to have you back again in our facilities like our mutual guest and offer you our best attentions.

Miami, Florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2013

I never was really compelled to write the corporate office of a major hotel chain any letter until this past weekend. Wyndham has me to a point where not just will they hear from me but get an ear full. They dropped that ball big. The rooms are filthy. We had to change rooms after arriving in the middle of the night. There was hair on the floor, the room had the AC turned off for weeks and smelled like wet socks. In the other room we had for the girls the connecting door did not have a lock. So the neighbor could have walked in there any moment. Obviously housekeeping staff is so well trained that they did not report that when they supposedly cleaned the room. Stephania at the reception was a doll and so were a few of the hundreds of staff in this "resort". A few as in you can count them in one hand. There is a complete lack of training the staff to be nice and smile. You know to give their guests a pleasant experience. They look mostly annoyed at everybody, you feel you are bothering the wait staff with your requests, trying to get a drink at the bar is about who can get the attention of the bartender best. That is 5 people standing there in front of the 5 bartenders who are all talking amongst themselves instead of turing to the guests and serving them. Let me be clear: I do not blame them but a total lack of management. When we tried to resolve an issue with friends we had coming over to stay on a day-pass on Saturday they tried to charge us more than what our rooms cost per night. I was furious. I asked for the manager and the three guys and girls at the reception thought I am just some dumb gringo and started talking in Spanish on how they could get rid of me when I asked for the manager...well, I chewed them out in Spanish, especially the guy who pretended to be the supervisor in charge. Ops, this gringo speaks four languages. The Food and Restaurants. Gheez how hard can it be? Customer service. They advertise they have 8 or so restaurants. The reality is that it is a crappy buffet. If you want to eat in the other places you have to make reservations the day before by 3pm. God forbid that you come there only for 3 nights, arrived the first night after dinner service (leaves you with the pizzeria or what they call such a thing. I am sure the Italian guests have nightmares for months) So by the next night you go and think...hm, Mexican only to be turned away because nobody bothered to tell you that you have to make a decision what you want to eat 24 hours before. So in essence you really do not get a choice much like in prison. Seriously, this hotel or what they are trying to pass up as a resort is mismanaged down to the core. I feel sorry for the Europeans who are flying half way around the world to get locked into this dump. Wyndham Corporate should be ashamed of themselves for running such a crap place. Their manager for this place should be forced to eat every day at the buffet for a month as punishment for being completely incompetent. Guys/Galls, you may think it is a great deal for all-inclusive but whatever it takes to get there is not worth the crap you have to deal with.

Room Tip: Tip to choose a good room? ....go to another hotel....run!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
7 Thank investprop
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayahibe
Weare Cadaques Bayahibe Hotel
Casa de Campo Resort & Villas
Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace
Catalonia Gran Dominicus
Be Live Collection Canoa
Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa

Been to Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach? Share your experiences!