“Ok (I guess)”

Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Bayahibe
“Ok (I guess)”
Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

I went here with my family and it was ok we all got sick most likley because of the bad water that they have there but the restaurants were good and the drinks where too. I think the place around the resort is "sketchy" but that's because it Dominican Republec
And it's not the USA but anyway the hambergers and hot dogs where the best and the music was more for older people it would be better if there was more kidish shows because there acually was kids there.

• Stayed August 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (361)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Norway
Reviewed July 13, 2013

My fiancee, her extended family, and I spent one week at the resort in July to attend a wedding.
A general reluctance to help guests seemed to be the Wyndham-way. Many of the restaurants demanded you reserved a table at the guest-service desk, which turned out to be a very time-demanding process and we felt the staff were trying to limit the number of guests visiting the restaurants (possibly to save money).
We had two pre-booked dinners at two different restaurants, and both times the restaurants weren't even half-full. It should be said that, at these restaurants, both the service and the food quality far surpassed that of the buffet restaurants.

We spent time at two of the pool areas, although they both were aesthetically pleasing and there were plenty of seats/sunbeds available most of the time, the experience was ruined by the constant, repetitive, awful music and speaker announcements. Blasting all day long, the intense music made it impossible to relax with a book poolside.

We all stayed in the bungalows, which, luckily, weren't pestered with noise from the disco nor the dance shows in the evening/night. The quality of the rooms was satisfactory and the cleaning staff did a good job.

Most of the staff did not speak English well, besides Spanish, French and Italian seemed to be the most used languages.

We had the VIP package, but I can't say it seemed worth the extra cash. First of all, the staff didn't explain to us where we could go (if we asked, we were sent back and forth between different "service'' desks), and secondly, a meeting with the consierge (which was supposed to provide information about our offers) turned out to be a sales pitch for memberships.

All in all the resort has a lot of areas in which it could improve, and I would not recommend it to others thinking about visiting the Dominican Republic.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
VivaDominicusPalace, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
Dear Guest

We deeply regret not having fulfilled your expectations as a guest with our services, facilities and accommodations. Also we want to let you know that each one of your comments has been taken seriously by our general direction in order to avoid situations like this may happen again.
We really hope that you will give us the opportunity to recover your trust in our products by visiting us again, so that, you could appreciate that your comments were very helpful for us to improve our services.

Best regards

Atlanta, GA
Reviewed July 12, 2013

This resort gets two stars only because the beaches are absolutely beautiful. There are plenty of places to lounge in the sun and lots of shade. That's the only good thing to say about this place. Oh, there are lots of activities. It is possible that we experienced extremely bad luck, but it is hard to believe that such bad service is not the norm. We arrived at 3:30 and was not in our final room until nearly 8. The first room overlooked construction. Second room on the other side of same construction AND the door looked my friend in the room requiring maintenance to climb in from balcony to service. A broken bathroom window (would not close or lock) earned us a third room. Sigh. Deep breath. Now the vacation can start. Since we booked through RCI we had VIP orange towels. Great except after two days we never got new towels. Calling and asking maid service to exchange got it done in only TWO hours. Dinner at the Mexican restaurant we asked to be seated outdoors. The restaurant was nearly empty yet that seemed to be a problem. As I type this review I am entering my second hour of waiting for maintenance to service the room safe which stopped working this morning. I must give a special mention to Victor and Keren with VIP guest services. They are certainly friendly and not at all helpful. Never have I experienced waiting so much for things to be corrected. Those were the problems we experienced. Yes the beds were extremely hard. Just thin mattresses on cement pedestals. The bedding consists of sheets and a sheetlike cover. One drawer wouldn't stay closed and another was difficult to close. A few of the staff are friendly however most seem to be annoyed with the tourists. Talking with my neighbors in the next room they were ready to leave after two days and never want to return to the Dominican Republic. I understand. Never before have I been ready to leave the DR. The best thing about Viva is the beach and my time on it was cut short waiting and waiting and waiting.

Room Tip: Reserve at another resort. Recommend Dreams La Romana
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest,

We deeply regret not having fulfilled your expectations as a guest with our service, facilities and accommodations.

Thank you for letting us know your impression in order to improve our effort for the highest quality for other future guests.

Best regards,

Wesley Chapel, Florida
Reviewed July 11, 2013

First of all I want to start off with I am not a picky person when it comes to hotels. My main thing is a place to sleep. I don't intend to stay in my room so they don't need to be big or fancy. We don't have a lot of money to spend so we try to find the best deals for our price range.

My husband and I just got back from our stay at this hotel. We booked a package deal through cheapcarribian.com. I booked our last stay in Punta Cana through them with no issues. We compared our experience with our trip to Punta Cana and if had to do all over again, we would spend the extra money to go back to Punta Cana. Dominican Republic is a beautiful island and we enjoy our visits there.

With that being said here are the flaws we found:
Rooms were outdated
Our shower was clogged
Room was kind of small
The remote for the TV was attached to the wall with a short cord
Most of the staff (not all) was unfriendly
No food variety and most of the time it bad (we did have a couple of decent lunches)
Entertainment was average, but not enough of events going on through the day

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Best regards

Arlington, Texas
Reviewed July 9, 2013

We went to this resort a couple of years ago. It was the worst vacation ever but I never wrote a review. Then I saw an ad for this resort and it made me angry all over again.
The food situation was bad! You can't eat at any of the 'good' restaurants.
Rooms were the worst- disgusting beds and bedding. Customer service was a far cry- as no one there cares. I can't believe they allow a place to be run like this. We have been to numerous resorts all over but this was honestly our only bad experience.
Sad that such a beautiful place is serviced by such a resort.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Ellie105
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Dominican Republic is a great island the beaches were beautiful! I always try to start off positive before getting to the negative, with that being said this hotel was the worst! The food was horrible at the buffet for breakfast, lunch and dinner. The only decent meal was at the Mexican restaurant which was booked up before we arrived which I think is totally ridiculous. After complaining to the staff they were able to squeeze us in for reservations even though it was about 5 tables occupied and about 20 tables vacant. This is the first hotel that does not give you wash cloths so be sure to bring your own. The trip to Saona is beautiful the beach is amazing, however the food sucks!! The fruits were spoiled and the meat was raw.
The toilets at the hotel did not flush and they need to be cleaned smelled like piss the whole 5 days I was there. Also the staff members were not friendly and they only cater to Spanish , French and Italian guest. As for the night entertainment the shows were good but you have to arrive an hour early in order to get a seat. The auditorium is pretty small for such a big hotel. Guest services were satisfactory, but the front desk staff were not friendly and accommodating.

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank Itsmetlx
Bergen County
Reviewed July 8, 2013

After reading all of the mixed reviews I went with an open mind determined to make the best of this vacation. So when the check in did take an hour and we got to our room to find it was not what we had booked, we decided to be grateful it was a clean room with working air conditioning. We booked a Superior with 2 king beds and got 1 king bed with a twin which our daughters had to share (luckily they are still small, 7 & 10). My cousin checked into her room to find the AC did not work so it took almost 3 hours for them to get moved into a new room with AC. Along the way we met a family of 5 who also expected a superior room and were put in a room with one double bed. Out of the three families we went with only one of them got the room they had reserved. Pretty bad odds.

The restaurants: We were told our reservation only included two of the a al cart dining rooms and that they were all booked until Wednesday (this was Saturday morning and we were to fly out on Friday). Hmm...so the first night we ate at the Terraza Buffet and I swear it was like the hunger games. The food was good but the guests were very rude and the staff not very helpful. I had never been to a restaurant where they don't at least help you find a table. We asked for a table for the 6 of us and were told to look in the back. When we didn't find one we decided to move two tables together and were immediately told the tables could not be moved. OK so we sat next to each other. No big deal. After getting the food for my daughters and myself went to look for glasses to get drinks we could not find glasses at any station for 10-15 minute. When new trays of clean glasses were brought out the guests swarmed and got to it before they could be placed down. No problem, I found coffee mugs and served our beer and waters in them. So after this experience we went back to the concierge and asked for other dinner options as this was not a great experience. We were told we could eat at the Pizzeria which also had a buffet and wasn't as crowded. OR we could pay to reserve at the other restaurants but they were pretty booked and it would be difficult to find reservations for all of us. So we paid. Some how she worked her magic and got us reservations at the same time in all but one restaurant. She told us to go early and see if they could seat us near each other. The Atlantis ($20 per adult) served the best meal. It was delicious. Strangely enough only 4 tables were occupied. Viva Café ($10) was also very good (only 5-6 tables were occupied). Il Palco ($10) was OK and only about 6 tables were occupied, and this was the restaurant she said she couldn’t sit us was too booked to sit us at the same time. Viva Mexico (included) and La Roca (included) were not even a third full. So I think it is a scam to make you pay for the restaurants because not one of the restaurants was near to half full. The only restaurant we had an issue with poor service was at Il Palco. They also would not accommodate the 9 of us at one table so we agreed to two table side by side even though the restaurant was almost empty. Oh and we found a roach on the floor walking by our table.

The Drinks: Truly terrible mixed drinks and the wine was undrinkable. They were served from a carafe and the wine had clearly been open way too long and kept refrigerated to keep it “fresh”. We asked for a wine list and paid for the wine we drank.

On a more positive side:
The Infinity pool by la Roca restaurant was beautiful and never crowded. The bar by this pool doesn't open until 11 am. The trapeze was right there also so everyone had fun trying that out. We spent our days here and ate lunch at La Roca restaurant which was very good. Pizza and pasta station for the kids and amazing grilled chicken. Very good!
The beach was beautiful and the weather was perfect. The people that work there were friendly.
Our air conditioner stopped working on our 5th day there and by the time we came back from dinner it had been fixed. So that was great. And the Coffee stations at all of the bars are awesome!!!!
They need to review how this place is being managed. It should be modeled like the Cruise Line industry. Catering to their guests would go a long way help make up for a lot of the issues encountered. At a minimum the person who stands at the front of the Terraza should help you find a table that can accommodate your group.
I will not return to this resort nor recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Good luck getting the room you booked. We had a nice updated room by the beach but it was very very...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank kmq2000
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayahibe
Weare Cadaques Bayahibe Hotel
Be Live Collection Canoa
Be Live Collection Canoa
#10 of 16 in Bayahibe
Catalonia Gran Dominicus

Been to Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach? Share your experiences!