“A relaxing week in the Dominican Republic”

Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach
Ranked #7 of 16 Hotels in Bayahibe
Merced
“A relaxing week in the Dominican Republic”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

This very large all -inclusive resort was extremely nice in late September. This is the off season for the resort, but in our case that meant only that there weren't as many people and there was a lot of facilities maintenance going on. But the variety of restaurants and foods was very nice and was not repetitive even after our 10th day. The staff is all multi- lingual and very helpful. In the high season they have a "kids club" for the bulk of the day.

Room Tip: We stayed at the Dominicus Palace which included access to Dominicus Beach. There was a lot more en...
1 Thank Barbara S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (365)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Cranston, Rhode Island, United States
Reviewed September 22, 2012

No doubt about it the beach and the resort is absolutely beautiful. My mom and I went for a 5 day vacation and we booked it through cheap Caribbean .. we were greeted at the Santo Domingo airport by a very nice man who drove us almost two hours to get to the resort, he was so nice and we listened to michael jackson the whole way :) when we arrived at the resort we were told we couldn't make dinner reservations because it was too last (even though it was only 1pm) so we got into our room which we reserved a ocean front bungalow. literally steps from the sand, it was beautiful. the room was VERY small, sort of smelt bad.. when we got into the room there was no toilet paper, no soap, it was like the room wasn't serviced before we got into their, so we made some phone calls down to the front desk and they brought us some. we also had some problems with the safe two days that we had to pay $2 for each day. what is also a pain is that the remote is attached to the wall for the TV. do they really think you will steal it? i mean c'mon... also there is a lot of small tiny bugs in the room, they didnt bother me much because they were small i think it was because we had an ocean front room..we spent alot of the time on the beach, we did two excursions.. one where we rented our own speed boats, that was ALOT of fun. we also did the Saona Island trip on the catamaran.. that was OK. when we got to the island there are people EVERYWHERE trying to sell you things and they dont leave you alone its really annoying. the food on the resort was horrible, im sorry. im usually not very picky but they just do not know how to cook there. i ate alot of fruit and bread because the meats just did not look very appetizing. the morning buffet had eggs that were barely cooked, i stuck to fruit and some french toast. we ate at the italian restaurant, la roca grille, and the viva cafe, those were all OK. way better than the buffet. i can also say that the servers at the restaurants were VERY nice. we tipped everyone and they were so thankful. there is a bad english barrier between everyone. no one speaks english, it is either spanish or italian or french.. ALOT of europeans at the resort and they are all very RUDE. they do not tip anyone either I realized that. I had my hair braided on the beach and I tipped the woman she was so surprised and so happy. you are going to an all inclusive resort you should atleast throw a few dollars here and there. i would go back and just realize that you are not going on vacation for the food, but for the beautiful water and sands, palm trees, pools, everything was beautiful and the staff was very nice. especially one of the boys that works in the video store he made my trip very nice :)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Sabrina S
Portland, Maine
Reviewed September 21, 2012

We arrived after having read all the recent reviews and were very flexible and open to the cultural differences. The resort is very beautiful...our room was a bungalow right on the ocean. We couldn't have asked for a better accommodation. The air conditioning was perfect and comfortable which you need here. Our neighbors however, had a plugged up toilet and shower the entire time and spent most of their vacation sitting outside on their deck waiting for assistance to come help them. We were just lucky. We quickly found out that no spoke English...they spoke a combination of Italian, Spanish and French. That was ok, and we used a lot of improv to communicate. We found after a couple of days, that many staff spoke fluent English when they wanted to sell you a "vacation club membership". Otherwise, they would tell you..."just give me 10 minutes" and never come back and take care of your request. We asked for wash cloths five different times...never got them... don't think they use them there. They did take care of the blow dryer in the room that wasn't working. Better hide your toilet paper though, because you are only give one roll at a time and have to continually bug them for more. The food, on grounds restaurants (for a fee) were wonderful. The buffet's that were very good that were part of the all inclusive fees. The activities that were provided were youthful and fun and provided daily. The cultural atmosphere was weird...it was geared toward only non American, non English speaking people. If you are with someone who speaks one of the three primary languages it is ok, but I would never recommend this place if you are a single person. You would find yourself extremely isolated within the first 24 hours. The security is good on the resort, but I would not go off the grounds unless it is to the nearby shops during the daytime. The people who come to this resort are mostly European's and smoke constantly. It's cool if you like to think what vacationing was like back in the 40's, but is a real nuissance in the hot humid air that doesn't move. Bring an umbrella for very unexpected downpours. It can be stifling hot one hour, then pouring down rain with high winds the next. The taxi's to and from the airport were legit. should only cost you about $ 35.00 to $40.00. Going through immigration is a nightmare, so make sure you have the right forms...they gave us forms in Spainish rather than English at the airport and it made it much harder to get through customs once back in the states. No one speaks English at the airports either, or don't let on that they do. Good luck on this place to travel unless you are fluent in one of the primary languages spoken here.

Room Tip: Only stay in the ocean front bungalows because they have more room, with only one neighbor connected...
2 Thank miabodia
Auburn Hills, Michigan
Reviewed September 19, 2012

A beautiful island paradise! We had a beach front bungalow at the far end of the property and no complaints (other than that hair dryer didn't work, and we didn't need it anyway). AC worked great! Room was comfortable and clean. $2 a day to the maid got us 3 fresh bottles of water each day. Beach at our end was almost deserted and the infinity pool never had more than 10 people in it. We loved it! A most colorful and peaceful and relaxing place to visit, over all. No complaints whatsoever about the drive from or to Las Americas - great 2 hours to see other parts of the country and fascinating.

Bad: Customer Service: was good for nothing but making dinner reservations. All of the complaints about "Angel" are true - Day before departure, had to book the taxi back to the airport, were told by Customer Service that we would get an email confirmation that day from Angel. The morning of the flight we were told Angel had not been there and would not be there. It was very frustrating.

Viva Wyndam VIP Package salespeople: are all over you when you first get there and make promises that they do not keep. We were told by both Fandai (sp?) and Danny that they would be available to us all week and we never saw either of them again after the first day (but didn't need them). Never did get the promised t-shirts and hats for sitting through the presentation.

Room Tip: We loved 1146 Beachfront bungalow because of the quiet/no other people on the beach or in the (most...
2 Thank Sandy W
VivaDominicusBeach, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear Visitor

We appreciate your time by sharing your comments regarding your stay into our facilities. We regret not having fulfilled at all your expectations as a guest with our service but glad to know that you spent a great vacation.

We hope to have you back soon to be able to provide you the best memories. Thank you very much for choosing us.

Bakersfield, California
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Made our 6th visit this summer and was treated as poorly as one can. I was hoping this was an aberration but after dealing with Management it appears this is new norm. We were given a room that did not have a working AC, could not get bottled water, and had a toilet that would not flush. We called the front desk and each time was told someone would be 'right there'. Never happened. When we asked service personnel we encountered we were told 'that wasn't their area'. When I went in person to speak to front desk folks I was dismissed and then insulted in Spanish (guess they didn't see my Dominican wife standing next to me). Management has been just as evasive via email and phone calls now as they were then. All it takes is a little concern and just try a smidgen of customer service and I would be happy. Instead we were dismissed all the way around. I would avoid this place like the plague. The DR is known for it's resorts and customer service, this place is not a good representation of that.

Room Tip: Pick another resort!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank 664michaelc664
Dear Guest,

We are very disappointed to read your comments regarding your stay in our Resort. We regret that our facilities, quality and service did not fulfill your satisfaction as a guest.

We considered all the points mentioned as valid comment to improve our services, and we hope you will give us again the opportunity to serve you in one of our Viva Wyndham Resorts in order to note that your comments were very helpful for us.

Our best regards

Reviewed September 15, 2012

My husband and I just got back yesterday from our first time in DR. After reading alot of the reviews let me be honest, you just have to be the judge for yourself. Everyones expectations are very different. Let me go down the list in detail. First off, the airport ride was 2 hrs from Santo Domingo. We were told there is another airport in Punta Cana which is a whole lot closer to La Romana where this resort is located but too late. Trust me when i say its worth paying the extra $20 bucks or so for shuttle service from Olympus Tours. They are very friendly, extremely helpful and on time. They were a great shuttle service. That way you dont have people haggling you from all directions. Let me say that some staff members are rude however a dollar and a smile with a thank you can go a LONG way. The staff are nice but I found some of the people in the stores were a little up tight. Maybe its because they didnt speak English. Considering my husband and I knew enough to get us by, that was all we needed. This resort and beach is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!! the water is blue green, the beach is kept so clean and most of all the grounds are well kept and maintanined perfectly. One thing that we were very unhappy about was, we were taking a walk on the beach and it was a long stretch so i decided to sit for a few seconds on the lawn chair only to have this security man walk up to me and says because of the color of my band i wasnt allowed to sit there. Keeping in mind there was NO ONE on the beach!!!! Beware everything is apparently color coded. Which dosnt make sense because I didnt see what was so EXCLUSIVE on the beach. There were certain restaurants that were not opened to the orange band guests and thats as exclusive as it gets. Take note to that when booking. I couldnt believe it. There were some security that bribed my husband in giving them beer so he can cross over to that side just to get to the local stands on the beach. It was absurd. But we didnt let that ruin our time.We admire and have so much respect for the men and women that do all the ground maintanence. They work very hard and they do an amazing job. However, the rooms were ok. I wasnt to happy about finding someone elses hair still in the shower. I wore my flip flops in the shower everyday after seeing that. The water pressure was not that great and the toilet had to be flushed at least 3 times. The food was OK. Not the best but wasnt bad neither. It was pretty much all standard. The best part of our trip was going to EL MUNDO bar and retaurant literally a 2 min walk outside the resort gates. We met some great guys. Ask for PEPE or RUDY.They make the best drinks and the service is GREAT. On our last day, we asked them to prepare lobster for us. It was the best I have ever had $20 bucks. If you want to experience a good Caiphrana drink, have them make you one. Not the ones Viva bar makes. They use the cheapest liquor and everything is water down. Would we go back to this resort, probably not. But again, you get what you pay for. Not the best quality but if you are looking for a cheap getaway, you'll probably settle for this. Happy travels!!!!

-NEW YORK

Room Tip: Pay a little more to go to the other resorts like dreams!!!
3 Thank lana s
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review regarding our Resort. We apologize we did not meet all of your expectations with our products and services. However we hope you spent a pleasant vacation and we hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in one of our Viva Wyndham Resorts in order to appreciate our services and to note that your comments were very helpful for us.

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 13, 2012

The only redeeming quality is that the beach was absolutely wonderful... despite every effort the staff makes to ruin your vacation, the beach could not be ruined.

The food made my mother and me sick to our stomachs! It tasted terrible, some of it was actually rotted. We decided to stick to the "hot fresh" food prepared in front of us, one of the over-easy eggs was actually a gross orange color from being spoiled...

I told a waiter that the vat of syrup had a huge bug swimming in it, they literally just scooped out the bug and continued to allow people to eat from it. I've never eaten such spolied bug-infested food in my life.

When we first checked in, we went back to reception and told them that our bed was broken, it was actually dipped down to the floor in the middle due to a break in the frame. We were told "you paid for a standard room". We couldn't believe how rude the staff was and that someone actually implied that a broken bed frame is their "standard". A manager finally moved us to a room with a broken screen door and then to a decent (although motel looking) room closer to the beach.

Also, you have to walk quite far to get to everything. The only towel stand is located incredibly far from the pools and restaurants. My 60 year old mother couldn't even enjoy her stay because she was so hungry and in pain from all of the walking!

I absolutely would not recommend this resort. I would stay anywhere else, even a motel. The all inclusive isn't worth saving a little middle.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Tiffany A
Dear Guest,

We deeply regret not having fulfilled your expectations as a guest with our service, facilities and accommodations.

We hope you will give us the opportunity to recover your confidence by visiting us again in order to note that your comments were very helpful for us to improve our services.

Customer Care
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayahibe
Weare Cadaques Bayahibe Hotel
Casa de Campo Resort & Villas
El Eden Hotel
El Eden Hotel
#14 of 16 in Bayahibe
Viva Wyndham Dominicus Palace
Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa
Catalonia Gran Dominicus

Been to Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach? Share your experiences!