“Dance Dance Dance”

Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach
Ranked #8 of 16 Hotels in Bayahibe
Reviewed January 17, 2012

I love reading reviews on hotels. Everyone has an opinion, including me!
I have been to this resort over 10 times and I love it. I am going back again for a couple of weeks in May, 2012.
I have been to all inclusive resorts on many islands. Most have a minimal beach with the hotel stretching back from the beach. Here, between the Beach and the Palace in almost a mile of beach. The beach is rocky when you go in so watch your step. I have never had a problem finding a beach chair anytime of day.
Be prepared to do some walking, as this place is big. Enjoy the mature palm trees and landscaping.
This hotel is aroung 20 yrs old so do not expect marble and lace. The rooms are basic, but do the trick. There will always be problems with water pressure and such, deal with it ! This is 3rd world!
I am from the US, and around 80% of the guests here are form Europe, mostly Italy. It will take a day or two to get used to the Italians, but they are great people.
During the day there are many activities. The beach boys and girls are there to motivate you to join in, do so, it is fun.
At around sunset, people start to meet at the main outside bar. Dinner follows and then back to the bar where the music is starting. Some will go to the nightly show, and some stay at the bar area. This is what I enjoy the most. Every hotel I have been to becomes rather quite at night. NOT THIS PLACE ! Each night is a differant theme and the dancing goes to around 12:30 ! Then, there is a migration to the disco that goes all night. Just outside the disco is an all night outdoor pizza parlor. Great just before bed! The dancing is Bachata, Salsa, Merengue and modern. Again, the pool girls and boys will motivate you to dance. (remember the lessons during the day?)
I am also a diver. The scuba here is average but fills the need to dive. Most dives are very easy around 40 ft. I so underwater photgraphy and I always come back with new critters.

Now the food. The buffet is large and the food is good, not great, but no complaints. The reservation restuarants are also OK, but nothing special.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled with friends
8  Thank Patrick B
VivaDominicusBeach, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach, responded to this reviewResponded February 10, 2012

Dear guest,
Thank you for your feedback. It’s a big pleasure for us reading posts like yours, because they confirm us that our services match up with the expectative of all our guests.
We are also glad to have been able to share with you the joy of the Dominican people with their dance and entertainment.
Thank you so much for choosing us for so long time and we looking forward to have you again as our mutual guest.

Stefania

Reviewed January 10, 2012

I actually went in NOV 2010. I am more interested in the technical aspects of vacations which I will try to share. This is my 2nd time at this resort but spaced almost 10 years apart. It's mostly as I remember it. You can expect to pay a $10 tourist tax either at arrival or departure. This time I was suckered into having a guy carry my luggage all of 20 feet to the van that would drive us to our resort so he got a small tip (he had a sign w/our names, what could I do?). Since we landed in La Romana this saved us at least an hour of driving if we had landed at another airport, this is HIGHLY recommended, it was a 20 min drive from the airport (drove like a maniac but I don't mind).
At the desk we did wait quite a while and were told our room wasn't ready on 2 occasions but we got wristbands so we got some food and drink. Finally by the 3rd time the room was ready, very nice w/a safe, big beds, plenty of space, clean, but I don't spend my vacations in a room so I don't really care. We got fresh water bottles everyday and towels, I left a couple $$ in tips everyday also, maybe it helped. I also tipped drivers, waiters (when they actually did something), and bartenders.
This was a relaxing vacation, no excursions, but we did rent out kayaks a few times and spent plenty of time in the crystal clear water, took plenty of pictures. The fish swim pretty close to shore, very interesting to see if you have snorkeling gear. They had vendors come on site w/art and jewelry, you can get better prices than the on-site shops if you know how to haggle, I went home w/some paintings and jewelry. BTW, if you don't tip in $$ then tip w/drinks, these guys really love their rum and appreciate it as much as money sometimes, but I think they have to be careful about being seen w/it.
I enjoy the nightly shows a lot, different theme every night and it's comedy or song/dance themed. There are games and activities throughout the day to keep you active, they try to get people involved in aerobics, archery, soccer, volleyball, drinking games, etc.
It's true that this resort is largely Italian, I tried to communicate in english as little as possible. During one of the evening shows they called some American guests on stage for a game and they were even booed. We didn't really meet any other Americans until the last few days but that's fine because we mostly kept to ourselves and relaxed. I would have liked to try some of the excursions if we stayed longer than just 4 nights. There was only 1 day where we had trouble finding chairs but we just walked around until someone eventually left theirs.
The food was good, plenty of options so I don't think anyone should complain about it being repetitive because there is too much to sample all in 1 day. We did not try the specialty restaurants. I wasn't sick at all but we come down with some stomach issues when we got home after the trip, not sure what brought that on but I'm glad it was after everything.
There are cool animals they keep on site: flamingos, iguanas, fish, other birds. The property itself looks amazing, it is gated, guarded and safe, I would not recommend leaving the property because there is no reason to do so unless it's part of an excursion. If you want to see what life is like I would highly recommend the "Safari" day long trip, you see so much of the country. These excursions are extra money, so are things like banana boat but kayaks are free, not sure about scuba or snorkeling. For other sports equipment I think you just leave a safety deposit.
Rain wasn't an issue, it happened twice for about 5 minutes and then went back to clear skies.
For the price it can't be beat but I wish they were more American friendly. If you don't speak spanish or italian you can have problems with service.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled as a couple
10  Thank equipt31
VivaDominicusBeach, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach, responded to this reviewResponded January 17, 2012

Dear guest
We would like to thank you for posting your marvelous and detailed review about your experience with us.
Your comments give us the satisfaction to discover that we were able to meet your expectations and that we offered you a pleasant stay.
We look forward to receive you again as our guest

Tel.: (1)809-686-5658 ext. 8311-8090
Fax.: (1)809-221-6805

Reviewed January 8, 2012

I've just came back from the Viva vilage. What can I say... The beach and the sea were amazing but the organization of the entire structure was not so good: you can eat at the buffet only if you are very patience otherwise it should be better to reserve a table in one of the other reastaurants (that you have to pay a little bit more). I had a problem with the cash in my room and none helped me to solve it.
So if you have to pay 2400 euro (because of the new year period) there are many other beautiful places to go.
Keep in touch

• Stayed: December 2011
3  Thank gambadilegno
VivaDominicusBeach, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach, responded to this reviewResponded January 31, 2012

Dear guest

Thank you for posting your feedback regarding your past experience in our installations. All your comments have been took in consideration, as a beautiful opportunity to improve all our visitor experience.
Hoping to have the chance to serve you again with the aim to recover completely your trust in our product, we kindly send you our warmest regards,

Reviewed January 5, 2012

upon arrival, check in went smooth, i saw what can happen if you whine and complain, its like anywhere...you wont get the service you so desire, stay calm and cool and it works better for you and the staff. your on island time, take it slow. =D
i agree with most of the other reviews that you should not stay in "the village" part of the hotel. its out of the grounds, the rooms are not easy on the eyes and is a distance from the beach. the a\c didn't work, they did get it going at 1am, the beds smelled of hockey equipment due to the humidity and the tv didn't work. You could hear loud cars, people yelling and whistling and cats and dogs fighting all night....then at 4:30am our room started to shake from the heavy construction just out side our door. we started laughing...i think we were going insane. oh! and some grinding noises started at about 6am....it made for a poor first impression and pretty bad nights sleep. i did feel safe outside the hotel.
Our travel agent back home is to blame for that one, not the resort...needless to say i could go on about sears travel and how rude they were when i called home to complain, but moving on.... the folks sun-wing spoke to the manager and viva bumped us up to a beach front superior suite and it was a lot better.. for their efforts we gave our sun-wing rep and the reception a nice gratuity and they were more then grateful. i found the staff to be better then most of the negative reviews posted. the superior suite bathroom ceiling leaked water every time the occupant above us showered, there was some mold on the bathroom ceiling but, oh well, we got clean and got out...there was only one hot shower during the whole week, but we didn't mind. the bidet backed up twice and we never used it, but they came and cleaned it and she was very nice so i tipped her a dollar and some chocolates and she was great-full for that.
the grounds of the hotel were beautiful and large and we didn't mind the walk back and forth. its good for you after lounging all day. They do an aqua-gym at the beach from 10:30am till noon then from 4 to 6 - and they blast music not fit for our taste, we would rather listen to the ocean! and if the Italian girls get into his tunes the Dj tries to stick around and flirt, playing to his crowd of 5. at 12:30 we went up to him and told him "could you please shut it down?" and he would. no prob. we were close to the palace side and rarely used it, only to escape this dj but i cant comment on that hotel other then the grounds were nice...i liked the fact the dominicus beach washed glasses instead of using Dixie cups that amount to a high number of trash. they had Wifi and the bar had coffee, cappuccino and espresso (which i haven't seen at other hotels) and the food was decent, i stuck to beer as the other specialty drinks were not made well. the bar had no line ups. the guy who makes the omelets in the morning was a cool cat, he seemed to enjoy his job, ill miss his morning smile and his perfect omelet. the beaches are 5/5, such amazing sand. but i disliked the use of beach as an ashtray (but sadly people do that everywhere! stop it smokers! GROSS!) we had a calm blue sea with little wind or waves (travelers in punta cana said it was dangerously windy and wavy) but it was hot and calm in bayahibe. we did the Saona catamaran trip. it was a decent day out. beautiful waters and more gorgeous beaches with a lobster lunch. the Catalina snorkeling was also pretty good. lots of fish and corals. and a boat ride past la romana and a sneak peak at the sea side estates. we took some bread from the buffet and snorkeled on our beach and it was pretty good, lots of fish and a flounder! We left our cleaning ladies 2 bucks and 4 chocolates daily and when we asked for more water they gave it to us. you can also ask for it at the front counter or simply refill your water bottles at the bar!!. i see a lot of headlines like "They cater to the italians" well it would seem like that since 99.9% of the occupants are italian, but i didn't find this to be true. go with the flow! if someone acted rude at the buffet i would snap my finger and point to the back of the line...that seems to work in every language =D....being there for a week you do pick up on some Italian customs pretty quick and we found the banana hammocks, speedos and bum floss to be quite entertaining. i learned a few words like"mi scusi" (excuse me) this was my most used word all week..they have some stores and seafood in behind the hotel grounds (buy a picture from the "cheapy cheapy" guy, he was my favorite)
to summarize: the south shore was a fantastic place to vacation, it was a lot better then "horrid" and i would definitely go back to the south sea; there are a lot of great points about this hotel, however i would not stay in this hotel again unless there are some upgrades to its rooms, because ive stayed in hotels for a better price in cuba, mexico and jamaica that are more bang for the buck. Note: Never book through sears travel. they were the worst part of our trip.

Room Tip: never stay in the village
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
8  Thank cup0ftea

Dear Guests,
Thank you for have chosen our hotel for your vacations. We really appreciate all your comments, even positives and negatives. All your reviews were analyzed by our general direction and some measures were taken, in order to have a continuous improvement in our service, as our goal is the satisfaction of all our visitors.

We hope in the future you could give us the possibility to meet you again as our gentle guest, serving you with our best attentions and trying to recover your trust.

Tel.: (1)809-686-5658 ext. 8311-8090
Fax.: (1)809-221-6805

Reviewed December 25, 2011

After initially giving us a terrible room ... (the a/c didn't work ... there were dozens of little tiny bugs all over in the room ... the plastic patio furniture had puddles of bleach on them, which ruined at least a couple pieces of clothing ( cholera prevention ) the beds were terrible ... the room was just terrible, old & outdated) Anyway, they almost immediately let us choose a better room ... No bugs ! A/C was great ... No bleach ... Newer updated, more comtemporary room ... 2-adults, 2 children .......... The beach is great, the weather was fantastic ... The day trip out on the catamaran was fantastic ... The entertainment at night was great for the children ... the many pools to choose from was great ........ The food was above average ...
The price for 2 adult and 2 large children was fantastic ($118.00 total for 4-people all inclusive!) WOW!! It was a bit crowded at times but overall when everything is/was considered it was a wonderful time ............ August/2011

Room Tip: There was a concierge that helped us ... sorry! I can't remeber his name ... but he was a very l...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank rdy2go
Reviewed December 22, 2011

Pros:

- The pool was clean
- The beach was great! very clean, and nice water to swim into.
- Plenty of shade at the the beach
- free safebox in the room
- free WiFi but only at the reception lobby
- free parking

Cons:
- The whole hotel is quite old.
- We were liable for only 2 free small bottles of mineral water per day. If we wanted more, we had to either refill from some large containers at the restaurants, and the bar, or pay around 3 dollars to buy a small bottle from the mini market. The water in the containers was 'yellowish' so we prefered to buy the expensive bottle.
- The staff was impolite, and moody. The people at the reception were inexperienced and SLOW. we spent 45 minutes at check-in, without waiting at the queue.
- The room was Terrible! Small, old, worn-out, dark, old furniture, old bathroom, rotten window and front door. We found a big, alive cockroach near the bed.
- The main restaurant with the buffet was really bad! contaminated food by the bunch of flies that were sitting on it all the time. The water in the containers was yellow here too. The coca-cola and the sprite was actually colored water, with some bubbles. There was no bottled beer. The staff there were also impolite. We saw a mouse under our table, fetching a piece of cheese on the floor. I have it on video.
- No air-condition at the main restaurant. Not even ventilation.
- The glasses for the free drinks at the bar, and the restaurants, were all plastic. Most of them were cracked.
- Almost nobody, nowhere spoke any English. Only Spanish and Italian. Very hard to communicate, even on the basics
- Advance reservations needed for the ala carte restaurants. 3 days in Advance!
- While getting ready to have a shower in the room, another guest got into our room by using her card. Although shocked, she explained to us, that she got the card from the reception, after asking for a room change. So, they gave her a card to our room, without checking that we were staying in this room. Not safe for our belongings, or even us, as you can see. After calling to the reception to complain, the manager, being very sad, apologised to us. And that was all. Almost... Because after our dinner, when we tried to get into our room, our cards were not letting us in. We had to spend 20 more minutes visiting the reception to re-program them.
- the WindSurfing equipment at the beach was really old and useless.

General tips:
- Avoid Hurricane season (irrespective of the hotel you choose): July to November. Although some sites state tha July is a 'safe' month, be prepared for cloudy sky everyday, for half of the day, and sudden thunderstorms with loads of rain almost everyday!
- Mosquitos and the chance of catching Malaria are a real problem on Dominican Republic (irrespective of the hotel you choose). Don't even think about moving around, in or outside the hotel premises without first being sprayed with a good repelent containing DEET. They are really effective. Without them, you will be definitely bitten by mosquitos, many many times.

Room Tip: Prefer to stay at the beach bungallows, instead of the Main hotel...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank diesssel

Dear Visitor

we respect all your negative points before mentioned regarding your recent stay in our installations and for that reason We truly apologizes for all the inconveniences experienced and also for not meeting your expectations with our service. As we are committed to provide to all our guest the best of the attention and quality, know that all your comments are of a great value because the same help us in our daily improvement and were seriously taken into account in order to increase our service and meet all our guest expectations.

Hoping that in the next future you could give us the chance to show you how helpfully were your comments and not just that, also with the purpose of regain your trust in our product and service.

Reviewed December 17, 2011

Just returned. I originally was really looking forward to staying at this hotel as there was snorkeling right off the beach, water is calm and heard from the reviews that the bungalows were nice. Some of the reviews were negative but to be honest sometimes I find some reviews aren't accurate and are overly negative. Well in this case the reviews were accurate and I was truly disappointed. First let me say language was and is never an issue when I travel as I expect that when I travel I do not expect anyone to speak English on my account. I do speak a bit of Spanish and am fluent in Italian.

Check-in - was very quick - so quick the person didn't even bother to give us wristbands. Thought maybe we didn't need them. She couldn't get rid of us fast enough.

I had emailed the hotel 2 months prior asking for a bungalow close to beach with a king bed and also asked the tour operator this request as well. I also asked for the famed oceanfront upgrade if it was available ($400usd for 2 weeks). I was told this was all subject to availability.
I can understand that.

Got to our bungalow....furthest from the beach....2 queen beds, stunk like a sewer, moldy and had the most filthy torn bed covers you could imagine. I wouldn't even put my suitcase on it. There was also a large dead bug in the shower. I went to the front desk and asked to be moved but of course nothing available I had to "come back tomorrow". If you read other reviews this is very familiar. They did send someone to change the bed covers thankfully as there was no way I would sleep in that bed. It was disgusting.

That morning, I slipped on the floor in the bathroom from a large puddle coming from the ceiling as the air conditioner was leaking water into our room. Luckily didn't crack my skull. Great way to start our vacation. Down to the front desk again. Request to be moved. Nope come back Monday after 330pm. Sending technician to fix a/c asap. Also, gave us a remote for the TV that did not work. Ok now getting pretty upset. Back to front desk. New person tells me how to program remote and says if that doesn't work I will have to call a technician. Isn't that your job?? Enough of this for the day.

Next day went to breakfast. No one and I mean no one would come and give us coffee. they would pass us. I finally got up and asked the server why and he pointed at his wrist. He did come over and gave us coffee. By this point I am thinking what the heck is going on? Back to front desk. I spoke to them again. OH she says you don't have a wristband, yiou should have been given wristband at check-in. She says who was it....IT WAS HER!!!!

Monday rolls around and I make my way down to front desk to see what bungalow they will move us to or maybe we can upgrade to oceanfront. They have no idea what I am talking about! I could not believe it. After all that happened and all the problems and she even wrote it down we were not on the list to be changed. She told me to take a seat and she would see what she would do. While I was waiting some Italian guests arrived. I am Canadian but Italian background therefore speak Italian fluently. Could not help but over hear the conversations as I was sitting there for 45minutes waiting. A couple did not like their room and were immediately changed. Another asked how much the upgrade was to oceanfront. If it wasn't available....wasn't it irrelevant?? Anyway it doesn't matter, one of the clerks came out and said come with me I will show you where I can move you. It was beside the tennis courts in a high traffic area. I do not think so. I want a quiet area and would like to sleep. People play tennis very early in the morning till late so no thanks. At that point I just gave up. I realized quickly that they really wanted to please the majority and unfortunately my husband and I were the minority. We paid money to stay as well and it is unfortunate. As for the lucky who had no issues lucky you. I wonder how you would have faired if you had any issues with your room.

The snorkeling was amazing. The food was repetitive. Had personal items stolen off the beach when we went for a swim. Watched other guests steal others chairs and palapas. Very rude. Actually throwing their towels on the ground! We went for a swim and had people move their chairs under our palapa if you can imagine!!! Personally not somewhere I would go again for a holiday. I would prefer a more relaxing place with less stress. The hotel staff (with the exception of some of the front desk staff) was great they were all so very nice never expecting tips which surprised me. They all worked so very hard.

There are other hotels that are a little more and have heard are much better. Pay the extra. Had it not been for an availability issue and the allure of the bungalow, we would not have stayed here. Also note its not the guests fault it is either management or the front desk staff who favours. I realize it is a business but all guests pay to stay and should be treated fairly. Would not recommend. Oh and the airconditioning issue and the remote NEVER were repaired. They truly could have cared less. After a week into our stay in the pouring rain returning to our room our key didn't work. They made an error in programming our keys for only one week not two. Do these ladies even care about their jobs or their guests? I have never been treated this way before this is definately a first!...and last. Oh and to customer relations: don't comment on peoples remarks and let the issues continue. Fix the problems don't pacify people, it doesn't work.

Room Tip: Away from main pool. Bungalows are a hit and a miss. Oceanfront best.
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank italchica17

Dear Visitor
Thanks for bringing to our attention your feedback regarding your recent stay in our facilities, it’s sad to know that we didn’t reach your expectation with our services, and not just that, to know that your vacations weren’t comfortable at all. We respect all your comments and points before mentioned and for this reason some improvement project have started in order to give to all our guest the best service and satisfaction.
Please receive our deepest apologies for any inconveniences you may have experienced during your stay with us, and we also hope that those inconveniences do not prevent you of giving us another opportunity to serve you in the near future and as well you can appreciate how helpfully were your comments to improve our products and service.