Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach
Hotels.com
Cabana Elke(Bayahibe)(Great Value!)
$65
$60
El Eden Hotel(Bayahibe)(Great Value!)
$60
$47
Hotel Villa Iguana(Bayahibe)(Great Value!)
$55
TripAdvisor
$175
TripAdvisor
8,522 results
All reviewsla rocalanguage barrierviva cafepizza placebeautiful resortvip barsaona islandanimation teamforeign countrypalm treesshows at nightclear watergarden viewpicky eaterdive shoppaddle boardslobster
Reviewed June 14, 2011

VIVA WYNDHAM DOMINICUS BEACH 2011 REVIEW

Once again I have returned to the Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach in Bayahibe D.R.
I stayed at the resort with my wife in an oceanfront bungalow and our two friends in a second ocean front bungalow from June 14 to June 21, 2011. Additionally I had booked a second week for my wife and I plus a week for my son and his family. From June 21 thru June 28, 2011 Thanks to Barbara Lansing and Sylvia from guest services we were graciously accommodated with the rooms and restaurant reservations we requested.
These two guest services people are two employees that went out of their way to assist us.
This being said I want you to know that After 12 years of vacationing at the Viva and now Viva Wyndham, I regrettably have to report that the overall service and quality has taken a large decline since my previous visits.
The resort has recently completed many expanded improvements to the main pool and shopping area of the plaza and VIP sections that were well thought and have improved the overall layout of the resort
Other than these construction improvements the quality of resort itself has declined in many areas
Please know that I am not writing to complain, I am writing because if it was my resort I would want to know the reasons why my clients do not return instead of just watching the receipts decline without explanation .
These are the areas of concern that I want to bring attention to:
Wyndham By Request--- Upon arrival and for the two weeks while both I and my guests and family stayed at the resort we did not receive a single item that we requested from wyndham by request with our reservation. This is the first year this has happened.
Housekeeping supervision. There is very little supervision of the housekeepers and their performance.
The Bungalows we stayed in were never cleaned correctly, Bath mirrors remained soiled for two weeks in both of the bungalows, bottled water which is a required as a living necessity was not provided in sufficient amounts unless requested with a daily phone call. One bottle a day is not enough for 3 people. There were not sufficient Towels in the room (two bath towels daily and no hand or wash cloths) the sheets were never changed in two weeks. Soap, shampoo and lotion, coffee, soda , beer etc. were not provided unless we specifically called for them daily.
Perhaps the most noticeable decline in housekeeping was the lack of supervision. No one checked the rooms for cleanliness or amenities. Or on the maids.
The maids were constantly coming to our rooms 3 or 4 times a day with requested water, towels, soap etc.
On two occasions the maid even asked us to get hamburgers because she works until 8pm and the resort does not feed her.
Extra pillows were not brought when requested.

Entertainment supervision The nightly entertainment which has always been loud but appreciated by us and has never been a problem in the past. This year the DJ’s which start at 11pm played well past 1am every night . This alone was not a problem but the dj microphone volumn reverberated bass sound at very unhealthy decibals thru out the entire resort. I resolved this with ear plugs but my body felt the bass vibration come thru the walls until after 1pm nightly with yelling and screaming by the DJ
Weekend invasions-- The two day weekend specials that the resort sells brings in an over abundance of locals and unsupervised children that over run the pools ,beach, buffet and grounds from Friday afternoon thru Sunday night.
It also is bringing in illicit women proposing sexual favors. I was solicited on a Friday afternoon right outside my bungalow by two young women.
Buffet Food-- The Buffet food which was always high quality has taken a downturn. All the prepared foods were over salted including the plain pasta. The selection and quality is less desirable than before with most foods being marinated or in some type of over salted sauce. The traditional poached sea bass and fresh fish were not presented.
Sports center-- The sports employees are very abrupt and discourteous to the clients. I took my daughter in law and my two granddaughters sailing one day . With very little wind until reaching the end of the pier. it was difficult . Then upon reaching the end of the pier and finally reaching good wind for sailing (10 minutes into my rental) The sports center employees sped out and boarded my sailboat as if they were Somali pirates. Scaring and traumatizing both my young granddaughters (ages 4 and 6) they said I don’t know how to sail and commandeered the boat. ( I have sailed for over 20 years) When complained to the supervisor I was treated abruptly with disrespect.
Security-- There is a lack of noticeable security at the resort that once existed. Reveling clients are allowed to be loud, noisy and party thru out the resort well after the entertainment stops and up to 330 + am especially on the beach and bungalows porches.
Extermination of insects-- This is the first time I have ever noticed an abundance of insects in the resort rooms baths and grounds. Mosquitoes. Palmetto bugs , wasps on the beach and ants in the bungalows. An insect extermination program needs to be maintained on a regular daily basis.
Maintenance---- Maintenance and repair/refresh of bungalows . The employees and projects need to ne supervised.
During the refresh of the bungalow next to mine the workers shut off my hot water for two days before it was back on. The workers spilled paint all over the walkway and vegetation to my bungalow. This mess remained an eyesore for a week until the refresh was completed.
The air conditioner in my bungalow also did not work two days during this time.
The barn swallow birds that lived under the thatched roof dropped unsanitary excrement daily onto the steps that we needed to use to exit the bungalow. These roof openings need to be closed off and the excrement washed away permanently.

I hope that you will take my observations seriously. I have truly enjoy vacationing at the Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach Resort over the past 12 years and would like to continue as a client but after the stressful vacation we all experienced during these two past weeks of vacation I am skeptical.

June 8, 2011

Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank willf2900
VivaDominicusBeach, Guest Relations Manager at Viva Wyndham Dominicus Beach, responded to this reviewResponded June 21, 2011

Dear Visitor

We have already receive this comments previously and sent you a formal letter. In case you did not received, please find below and extract of the communication already sent to you.

We would like to express our sincere appreciation to you, for taking your important time to apprise us with your comments and concerns related your recent stay with us and as well we sincerely thank you for your loyalty becoming already another member of our big Viva Wyndham family.

We deeply regret not having succeeded meeting your expectations and for any inconveniences you may have experience. Each one of your comments and constructive remarks have been seriously considered as a great possibility to improve our services and take measures to improve day by day our visitor’s experience.

We really hope that you accept our apologies and that this unfortunates incidents will not prevent you from allowing Viva Wyndham Resorts the opportunity to serve you again in the future,

I kindly send you my warmest regards,

Reviewed June 14, 2011

This resort is nothing like most reviews make it out to be. I admit we were a bit nervous about booking a stay there due to the some bad reviews, however, let me ease your mind. The resort tries very hard to make your stay as pleasant as possible. We had No problem communicating in English whatsoever. Most of the staff spoke different languages to communicate with their guests from many countries. We upgraded a little bit and stayed in a bungalow. We wanted the ocean view but they were not available so we had the garden view which was very nice. The room was clean and comfortable and bug free. There were plenty of fresh towels our whole stay. The grounds are immaculate and very well cared for. Upgrades to the property such as painting and repairs were ongoing throughout out 5 day stay. The beaches were clean and there was plenty of lounge chairs to relax in. The resort has many restaurants and offer fabulous foods for every taste. We brought two of our teenage boys with us and they also loved the resort and were not bored whatsoever. The drinks flow freely and the food is abundant. The bartenders were polite and friendly and put bottles of the most common alcohol out for you to pour yourself, which is a nice touch. Although this is an all inclusive resort including gratuities, a small tip once in a while is very appreciated by the staff and will go a long way in making your stay there wonderful. I recommend that you introduce yourself to Angel in guest services. He is a great guy and will help you with excursions, transfers, taxis or whatever you need while your at the resort. So if your looking for a great time, great food and drink, well maintained grounds and very friendly service, stay here. If you are looking for a 5 star hotel with a flat screen and a jacuzzi in your room, look elsewhere. Looks like I found the place to vacation to next year also. We will be back.

Room Tip: Book early for a good room.
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank ronnie4946
Reviewed June 13, 2011

Great deal for a week trip!
We read all the reviews before we booked. Seemed like 8 of 10 were positive and 2 were bad. Chalked this up to the 20% who complain about everything.
Ride from airport is 2 hours, not 1:20. Go potty in customs before you leave airport. We booked with the transfer on this website. Highly recommended.
Welcome and reception were fine. English is not their first language, but you can make it just fine all week without knowing Spanish. Immediately after check-in we walked down the corridor to the pool, beach and bar and got a Pina Colada. Saw several people complain about the drinks not waiting at check-in. It was less than 100 yards to the bar and beach. Make the walk. It is beautiful.
Room was nice. We unpacked and went to dinner. When we returned, the air was not working. Went to the front desk. He said he would send someone up right away. 30 minutes later, no one showed up. I called, he said someone would be up in 20 minutes. I asked to speak to a manager. Spoke with a nice gentleman. Within 20 minutes, we were being upgraded and moved by their staff to a new room. New room was great. HINT: Here in America we expect the front desk staff to be able to handle problems. At Dominicus Beach, they do not have the authority like here in US. Just ask for a manager if you have tried with front desk. Case in point: First morning, we met up with the man from Turinter (airport transfer company) to arrange transport back to airport. There were several people at the meeting. Talked with a mother/daughter pair who had roasted all night without air. They said they called several times and it never got fixed. I told her about the manager thing and even gave her the name of the man I talked to. She never went up to the front desk 20 yards away and asked for help from the manager. She probably wrote a bad review as well. A 20% person. Our room air was good, but we like it really cold while we sleep. We asked the maid for help, she got on the phone and the a/c guys showed up in 3 minutes. They had it fixed in 5 minutes. Was chilly the rest of the time we were there. Funny how far a smile and 200 DR pesos ($5 US) goes. Tip your maid a few hundred pesos and be nice to her. We had extra towels, waters and beautiful towel sculptures and flowers every day. Big difference for a few bucks tip. Also had a problem with room safe. I miss entered the code and locked it. Told maid that morning and she called and had a guy to fix it in 2 minutes. No kidding. Be nice to your maid. Also if you need service of any kind (towels, pillows, a/c fix etc) do it in the morning early. Service after dinner is a joke. We waited for 30 minutes for pillows and when they arrived they sucked. The next morning we showed our maid and she laughed and when we got back after breakfast, there were several perfect pillows on the expertly made beds. TIP YOUR MAID.
Food: Biggest thing I can say here is YOU ARE NOT IN AMERICA> THIS IS A FOREIGN COUNTRY. The food was fresh, a huge variety and selection. But it is served in a style more European than American. Most of the bashing I read on past reviews about the food made me a little hesitant. Truth is all of it was fresh and good. Just remember you most likely got a great deal here and paid a cheap price for the stay. Don't do this and then complain the food is not 5 star every time. Breakfast consisted of at least 10 hot items, an omelet bar, cereal, yogurt, tons of fresh fruit and breads. There were tons of fresh options. I don't have a very broad palette when it comes to veggies, but I never wanted for a pretty good meal. If you are a picky eater, there are 10 cereal selections, 5 yogurt choices, at least 8 different kinds of fruit and a custom made omelet. They must have a really great bread baker in the back of this place. Every meal had fresh breads and they were all as good as anything I have had in Europe or the US.
Lunch and Dinner: They really try to make American food. All day long they serve pizza and burgers with french fries. They are not McD's or Wendy's but they are good. The pizza is not Domino's, but it is good. Remember: You are in a FOREIGN COUNTRY. It was all good. We only ate one lunch in side the Terrazza buffet. Again good, wide choice and fresh. Dinner was always pretty good. Several meat choices you would not eat in the US, but try it a little. Be adventurous. I was and was pleasantly surprised several times. They have a man carving/serving meat from a carving station. Generally this is the best fare of the night. We had roasted chicken that was amazing as well as the large baked fish. Breads were over the top. Selection like breakfast. 20 food options, plus at least a dozen cold salads and veggie options. DO NOT MISS the pasta bar. Dude, this place is owned by an Italian and has tons of Italians here. The custom made pasta was always really good to great. Desserts had at least 12 options plus ice cream.
Any family could enjoy the food if they stepped out a little. If you insist on only eating American food you recognize, your options will be limited but you will not starve.
The views are better than the pictures. You eat every meal a few feet from palm trees and the beach. The water is less than 40 yards from your seat. Doesn't get better than this. We ate on the rail looking over the water on every meal but one. We went in late May and the crowds were non existent. Only time it got crowded was on Fri and Sat night. The weekend crowd picked up, but not too bad. Eat breakfast early or at 10am and never see a crowd. Same with dinner. Ge there at 7:00 not 8:00 and hardly see a crowd.
Beach accomodations were awesome. BRING a SNORKEL and MASK. The snorkeling in front of the resort was pretty good for a dry lander in Texas. The beach lounges were nice and there was plenty of places to get out of the direct sun under palm trees. Lots of music and beach activiities for the younger crowd. We wanted a slow vacation week and got it. The music and entertainment is confined to the central area and you can get away and get quiet.
Activities: Only MUST DO I would recommend is PRO EXCURSIONS snorkel trip. You can book it here or get a taxi to Bayahibe (10 mins) and do it there for $99. It was an amazing day. We did the whole day 8-5 and loved it. The trip, staff, snorkeling, beach was all top notch. They had snacks, drinks and lots of good rum the entire time. Picked up starfish bigger than your head, saw over 50 different kinds of fish and saw parts of the island less than 5% of visitors ever see. But the best part was their attention to down time. This is not a run you here, picture, run you there adventure. They took time out to stop and smell the ocean air. We had a great siesta after lunch for almost 2 hours on Saona island. Cannot say enough about these guys. Guide (ours was Chris) was awesome. Spoke English, French, Spanish and Italian very well to us all. We would not have loved this vacation as much had we not done this.
Also went to Bayahibe and Ramana on short excursions. Taxi vans will make you a great deal for the round trip. GET OUT. Explore a little bit. Everything was very safe and even the street vendors wanting you to buy their stuff were respectful when you said no. The shops to the right outside the main gate were pretty good. We found the little beach shops to the east of the resort were better for deals. Jewelery was best at the Mundo shop out gate to the left about 2 blocks. Best selection, prices for the good stuff and the Amber was real.
Bring cash or an ATM card. I exchanged some of my dollars in the US before flying and got 32.5 to the dollar. Just outside the resort gate they were giving 37. Also do NOT go home with DR Pesos. Best rate I found was 47. This means you lose nearly 40% when you exchange at the airports in and out. Do it on the island. Use an ATM at the resort and get US$ before you leave. Haggle prices on everything. Start at half of what they are asking. If you feel you are offering a fair price and they say no, walk away. Several times we would want something and I would get to a price I wanted to pay. The shop man would say no. My wife would walk away. I would say sorry. Immediately they would say wait and agree to the price. We enjoyed this little game. Use it to your advantage.

BEST ADVICE: If there is a problem speak to a manager. Get out and enjoy your time. Do the Pro Excursions trip. Be nice and tip your maid. If you need something from the resort maintenance, ask early in the morning. Night time maintenance is a hassle. Haggle prices for everything.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
23  Thank TexarkanaTwosome

Dear Guest

First of all we would like to thank you for taking the time to publish you very nice comments regarding your experience in our installations!
We are extremely glad that your experience with us was pleasant and happy and also glad that any little inconvenience that you may have experience was solve efficiently. In Viva Wyndham Resorts our goal is meeting all our visitors expectations and we are very happy that in your case we achieve it with the personalized attention received and the warmth of our staff.
All you comments have been took in consideration, as a beautiful opportunity to improve all our visitor experience.

Hopping to have the honor to be again at your service in the near future!

Warmest regards,

Reviewed June 9, 2011

My daughter and I just stayed 5 nights and had a wonderful time. I booked an oceanfront bungalow (2 beds) and ended up with one king, but it was fine. Our housekeeper Ana was very friendly....make friends with your room maid, as she's the one keeping you stocked with bottled water and toilet paper! We ate the dinner buffet 3 nights and the Italian once and La Roca once....you do need a break from the buffet in the evenings. Our visit was probably 75 percent Italian, but none very rude. I highly recommend the catamaran cruise to Sanoa Isle...great day trip. My daughter celebrated her 18th birthday and they put a candle in dessert and sang to her! Even though it is all inclusive, don't be cheap...a dollar tip at the bar goes a long way to being served faster and no Europeans ever tipped, that I saw. I've lived in Europe, so the speedos and topless sunbathing was nothing new.....don't set your expectations too hi and you'll have a great time

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with family
7  Thank Mktgcons1

Dear Customer

It's very nice to find you spent a pleasant holidays!! Thanks for posting your impression and hope you become part of our big family.

Please return to visit us!!

Warmest regards,

Reviewed June 5, 2011

I am writing this review while I'm at the resort and it is absolutely horrible. Earlier today I was called a gringo and that I had no money because I wouldn't purchase an overpriced trip. I got food poisoning from their "catered" meals. Every single member of their staff is rude except for the people in the restaurant. I despise this place so much I cancelled my stay at the "resort" and paid to change my flight to fly out tomorrow. I didn't pay the resort for indiscriminate attitude. I also had to pay to get a room with two beds. This place is not for young males who are looking a good time. It's family orientated and filled with disgruntled employs.

When I arrived to the hotel, the front desk was surrounded by angry customers. They do not accommodate any request. The lady demanded a paper copy of the travel voucher even though I showed it to her on my phone. She told us to use the Wifi that didn't work which forced us to pay a local Internet cafe $25 for half an hour and 10 pages. We weren't able to change our room the next day. When I came back, I waited in line for hour without being attended. I will do everything I can to inform the consumer of my terrible experience.

Management at Wyndham Resorts I don't want to read your generic reply. You have ruined my trip to the the Dominican Republic and my perception of the country. This place is a scam.

• Stayed: June 2011
9  Thank Sjsw1f7

Dear Customer

With big sorrow we receive your negative comments about your experience. On behalf of our management please accept our humble apologies.

We honestly regret that your impression is so negative and also that you did not contacted us to try to help us to improve your experience or help us to detect possible service deficiencies, passing thru the proper channels your concerns and claims, especially at the time of your holidays.

We really respect your opinion but absolutely do not agree with the general critic or rude staff or racism as our staff is characterized mostly by their kindness and courtesy.

Kind Regards,