“Beautiful place!”

Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Bayahibe
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 14, 2010

Got back early hours of this morning. First time in Dominican. Hotel is lovely, we stayed in Block 7. Only slight whinge is this block could do with a refurb like some of the others. It is quiet there though. Long flight and two hour drive from Punta airport, but hotel and surroundings make it worthwhile. Thomson are brill and see to every need.
Huge place and lots of eateries! Bordeux was excellent.
~Buffet has huge choices. Clean beach, clear sea and very clean.
Went to Saoni on trip, travelled there on a katamaran and back on speedboat. Booked thtough the rep, but was overpriced for the day. 80 dollars each. Not much on the island,but pretty. the travel is the best bit.
All in all, a nice place. Lots of mosquitos at this time of the year, so take your spray you will need it! Weather was brill, one or two showers but over in no time, so dont be put off by any rain forecasts!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (11,752)

Reviewed July 13, 2010

Dreams la Romana is a resort that looks beautiful but not for us. The lobby is opened and has no air conditioner. There are so many mosquito's and fly's that sit on the food. The buffet is alright but its opened so there are many flies there. The entertainment is wonderful. Make sure to check out Coca Cola, Picasso and other entertainers. Another thing that we didn't enjoy about this hotel was that it didn't have elevators. But the restaurants were awesome because there was no reservations required.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 12, 2010

Review of Dreams La Romana 15th June – 29th June 2010
Firstly I’d like to apologise that it has taken so long to write this, I had some PC problems which caused the delay.
This will be a very long review however a quick summary is that I loved Dreams La Romana, this is my 3rd AM resorts experience (once at Sunscape Punta Cana and then again when it was Dreams Punta Cana) and I am still convinced that these are the best resorts to visit.
I travelled with my husband for our anniversary and friends (who we met on our honeymoon at sunscape) they were celebrating their honeymoon.

Airport and Flight
We travelled from Birmingham to Punta Cana, we booked through Caribbean Warehouse which was a great deal, flight was Thomson. Check in was easy and we took advantage of our pre-booked airport lounge (for me it’s the only way to start a holiday!). Flight out was delayed 3 hours due to plane problems and we got a short haul plane so very uncomfortable, and were not able to upgrade to the full entertainment. The service on this flight was disappointing to say the least. Flight back home was excellent and just what we expected.
Punta Cana airport is great, we love the feel of it. You will have your pictures taken when you arrive and you need to queue to pay your $10 to a visa card then hand that over and then passport control. Make sure you fill out your blue form before you get in line though, that way it is just one queue that you do the different steps at. Coming back you need to pay $20 at check in and you need a blue form completed again. Please make sure you fill this out before hand or you hold up the queues. Do be careful with luggage, if you are over you will be fined, also do not have any electrical in your hand luggage it will be taken off you. You are allowed to from the UK but not from leaving the Dominican (learnt by mistake on this one). TIP – put on bug spray before going to the airport, we got bitten there and they really hurt!

Transfer
Our transfer was with VIP travel, they were easy to find once luggage was got. Transfer was exciting, we knew what to expect from the reviews and although your heart did beat a little faster at times we had great drivers both ways and we got there in less than 1.5 hours. We did really enjoy seeing more of the real Dominican as we drove through as well.

Check in and Out
When we arrived we were greeted with “welcome home” and a glass of champagne (no cookie or towel which I have heard some people mention). Check in at front desk wasn’t as easy as we had hoped. We were booked in preferred and when we asked we were told to wait for the bell boy. He was loading lots of bags on 1 trolley to take down to preferred club, unfortunately the wheel broke so it was taking a lot longer. We went back to the desk and asked to be shown to where to go and they did walk us after that. Preferred club check in very quick and easy and made a great 1st impression. Check out was a breeze, you get a card to say you’ve checked out that we had to show when we got on our transfer.

Room
I had emailed requests for ideally 3rd floor rooms as we had heard about the great vaulted ceilings. I had mentioned it was our anniversary and our friends honeymoon. We had booked garden view rooms and we were very lucky and given Pool/Partial ocean view rooms (7333 and 7335 (changed to 7337)) which were perfect on the 3rd floor. We were also had a wonderful fruit platter and bottle of champagne waiting in our rooms for us (you are entitled to this if you are an anniversary or honeymoon guest), we also had honeymoon banners on our doors. This was a perfect start to our holiday. The rooms were spacious and the bathrooms perfect. We didn’t have any real problems with noise in our room, there was some during the day but night time was absolutely fine. We changed room due to a leak after heavy rain and the room next door was just as perfect. This was done easily and with no problem. The preferred club staff were wonderful at sorting this out and very apologetic, we were relaxed and this made it easy.
The mini bar was great and if you leave a note asking for specifics they will leave that to you, we did this often and left a couple of dollars at the same time. The extras like the umbrella, slippers and dressing gown were brilliant touches. The maid service was very good, we got towel art most days or nights. Turn down was fantastic and if you had an early night they still slipped the sundial under your door. Just to be aware you have 3 people doing your room, Day maid service (who does your coffee as well), evening maid and then the mini bar man. We tipped each most days and nights but normally just a dollar or 2 each time, more if we requested something specific and more at the end of our 2 weeks.

Lots of choice and every meal we had was either good or great. We generally ate early (before 7pm) and had no problems. Once we ate about 7.30-7.45 and we chose not to queue at Bordeaux or Seaside Grill and found the Mexican quiet.

World Café – we went here a couple of times for breakfast and there were plenty of options. The earlier you go the better though to avoid the rush. Only tried lunch here once and although loads to choose from it was crazy, guests were very rude, pushing in etc. We didn’t do that again. We prefer table service for dinner so didn’t use here for that. Did come for ice cream once though which was great.

Seaside Grill – Small continental breakfast on offer which I tried once and was the only person there! We ate here most days for lunch. Food choices were good and 3 different seating places which was nice. Service most of the time was ok but twice not good at all. We are patient when it is busy but when it was quiet twice service was really bad, very slow, wrong orders etc. It is still my favourite for lunch and 8/10 times it was good. Dinner here only once and it was good.

Jungle (Dominican) – looked great but because of the weather and that the mozzies were out in force we didn’t get a chance to try here. I was disappointed with myself for that though.

Oceana – Dinner here once. Service was fantastic. View of the beach as the sun sets is great. Starters were small so we worried about the mains but they were perfect. Only did once as we are not huge fish eaters but it was lovely and recommend trying.

Himitsu (Pan-Asian) – We had dinner here once. The service was good. And the food was good. Only one if us loves this style food so we didn’t go back. It was also very very hot inside. We wished we had sat outside as it was cooler there.

El Patio (Mexican) - I really enjoyed the food here. I found it strange they didn’t have fajitas on the menu so ordered Tacos and they came as fajitas, I was over the moon but others that had wanted Tacos weren’t. The 1st time we went here was excellent, Margaritas served etc but the 2nd time we didn’t get those special touches and it was quieter. We were disappointed. Food was just as good though.

Portofino (Italian) – This was my second favourite and we ate here a number of times. The food here was fantastic, the atmosphere was intimate and elegant, service was great (slow when there was a wedding party in which is to be expected). We went here a lot and tried a number of different dishes between us. We enjoyed all of them. The Parmesan wheel is brilliant! Men please remember the dress code before you turn up as they were turning people away.

Bordeaux (French) – This is my favourite and we ate here a number of times and enjoyed every dish. This is adults only. The atmosphere, service and food were all excellent. We had to make sure we didn’t eat here every single night as it was the 1st we tried and it would have been easy to.

Pizza/Hot dog station – this is fantastic and a must try. We loved this addition. It is beside the main pool.

Room Service - Food was great, tried breakfast, afternoon snack and evening snacks. All good and delivered within time they promise.
We had the honeymoon/anniversary champagne breakfast and this was nice but we were disappointed since what we had a Dreams Punta Cana was much bigger and more impressive. Not sure if it has changed all together if so I think that is a shame. It is still very nice though. You just order this from concierge.

Preferred Club – The snacks in the lounge were amazing. Chocolate grape were my favourite. IT was good for a quick snack or light breakfast and we used this a lot.

Romantic Dinner – we bought this as a wedding present for our friends. They enjoyed the Steak Dinner on the pier ($100 per couple) and thoroughly enjoyed it. They said it was both romantic and special. They certainly said it was worth the money we had paid for it. On our last night Ada (preferred concierge) arranged a surprise, the 4 of us had the steak dinner on the Gazebo. This was a wonderful way to spend out last evening and Edwardo our waiter was a dream.

Drinks/Bars
HUGE selection of drinks available.

Preferred Club Bar - We loved here the most. Hector and Browlio (who covered Hectors days off) were amazing. Hector is wonderful and the last night was very sad for all of us. He waved to us all the way up the stairs! The day staff here were also wonderful. The selection of drinks at this bar was fantastic, if they ever ran out of Corona they had Miller or Bud and always another crate on its way. They also didn’t want to serve you any drink that may be warm, they always wanted it to be completely cold (blocks of ice sometimes). We loved this attention to detail. We spent most of our bar time here.

Other Bars
Lobby – this I understand is the only other bar that serves corona etc. The lobby bar is nice during the day to cool down in the shade. We were disappointed with the lobby bar here though as we loved the one at Punta Cana. The service here was slow, table service we didn’t feel was great and we felt it was very busy and noisy. Lots of others did like it though; it just wasn’t our cup of tea. The men had a problem here one day trying to get beers to take to the football as the discos beer wasn’t working, the staff member was rude to them and they were pretty annoyed when they came back. This isn’t the norm at all though.

Veranda Bar – Great setting and fantastic seating area. Not very impressed with the drinks selections available here though so we didn’t drink here really.
We didn’t try the other bars (swim up, beach, main pool). They looked like people were enjoying themselves there though.

Coco Café – This is a great addition. The coffee lovers of the group thought this was brilliant. The cakes and snacks were wonderful. This is also where the main internet café is and also where the book exchange is. It is also air conditioned so great to cool down here.

The white wine by the glass was good enough for myself and Kelly and the champagne was good. So we didn’t bother buying anything buy the bottle.

Pools
We spent most of our days at the preferred club pool this was perfect for us. It was quiet and plenty of shaded areas to move into when too hot. Try and get the “hutted” shade as they are also waterproof, which help when it rains! The girls would come around and offer to bring you drinks which was wonderful.

Main Pool – looked like there were plenty of chairs, even later on. Personally I would have struggled here as there was little to no completely shaded areas.
Infinity Pool with swim up bar – this was always busy when we passed but again I could only see a couple of parasols which would be used for shade.

Beach
This was beautiful. Not very long before it became the public beach. It was white sand a crystal blue water though. The weather unfortunately meant that in the 2nd week there were not many clear water days for snorkelign. I was annoyed I hadn’t done any in my 1st week. It was a great 10 min walk the Bayahibe along the beach and felt perfectly safe during the day to do this.

SPA
Great massage here, remember to ask the staff what deals they have on (we got $30 off). The spa area outside was lovely although we didn’t use it. I do prefer the spa at Punta Cana, I think the water circuit at Punta Cana is excellent however the outdoor area here is lovely.

Casino
Tried this once, we were disappointed in the drinks service (Punta Cana really set a great standard for us) and there wasn’t anywhere we could get our own drinks from. It is small but it was good fun.

Disco
We went here for the England games. All of these games were busy ranging from about 80-about 120 for the last game. The service was poor for the 1st 2 we saw. They ran out of drinks, only one staff member etc. Not sure if it is a coincidence but before the 3rd game we attended a pier cocktail party for about 50 guests where they collected feedback. We mentioned the disco for the game and 2 days later the last game service was 150% improved. The beer never went off, plenty of staff on hand etc. I like to think that they listened and made the improvements right away. We went to the Disco one night and it was ok. Service at the bar was great but it wasn’t wonderful. Staff worked really hard. We maybe hit it on a not so good night for us as plenty of other people seemed to be having fun.

Entertainment
We didn’t see any of the shows (30 mins of 1 doesn’t count I don’t think). We preferred to speak to people we met at the preferred bar. We saw plenty happening through the day and people seemed to be having fun. It’s just not our thing but it’s great they offer it. The guys do all work very long days 15 hours I think, so massive well done to them.
Preferred Club
This made the holiday for us. The extra special touches, the rum and coffee gifts delivered to our room through the 2 weeks, the lounge with the snacks, internet, book exchange. The wifi so I could do live posts from by the pool or the balcony. The extra pool and the bar just made it all perfect. When we go again we will absolutely be upgrading here again. Massive thank-you to Hector, Ada, Stephanie and Feebles who were amazing and made our holiday so special.
The people who tried to use the preferred club areas who hadn’t paid to upgrade did annoy me. However I was very impressed with the staff as they check cards for those guests they didn’t know and they turned them away. They even phoned the concierge if they wanted to check when someone didn’t have their card.

Staff
As well as all of those I mentioned above the staff are amazing and everything really is “a pleasure” to them. They work so hard to make it special for you, from the gardeners, coconut guy, to the waiters, managers…well everyone! We were able to tip for good service and did so often and they were very grateful for this. We only tipped when we got good service and I don’t feel we got any special treatment because we tipped.

Other Guests
There was a huge mix of nationalities there which I think is great and most people seemed to enjoy themselves. We met loads of great people, some which I will keep in contact with. Unfortunately there were a few guests who were just rude! We came across this from the British, American, Canadian and other European countries. I just wish everyone would treat people with respect but I guess that isn’t always going to be the case. Please treat other guests and staff with courtesy, being rude doesn’t get you anywhere.

Bayahibe
This is a great 10 min walk along the beach. It is worth the effort, go to the Cuban Café/Bar, it’s lovely and pop in and see Denise (Demi on tripadvisor) who has a great diving and snorkelling tour shop. They are right next door to each other on the beach.

Altos De Chevon
This is Italy in the Dominican. It is beautiful and I recommend everyone goes here. We took a private taxi tour and I would be happy to share his contact details with anyone. Denise helped me organise this and he was a wonderful tour guide for us.

You’ll be glad to know that is all I can think to write about for now! I know it’s a very long review but I hope you find the detail useful. If you have any questions please feel free to email me.

To summarise – we had such a great time we are planning on going back next year, we will book 1 week preferred club here and then 1 week standard at Dreams Punta Cana.

here is a link to my 700+photos I took when away

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
13  Thank leipere
Reviewed July 11, 2010

Let me start by saying that we have never been to an all inclusive resort before, so didn't know what standards to expect. On the plus side, the gardens are wonderful, the pools are good and the beach is fine. For the most part, the staff are friendly and welcoming, although a few are surly (think Paris restaurants!). The public buildings are OK, but many are in need of updating. The unlimited drinks are good, but with alcohol which seemed less alcoholic than one would expect ......

On the downside, some of the bedrooms are tired. My son stayed in a refurbished room and this was good, but the rest of us stayed in older rooms which are tired and have bouncy beds. The food was very mediocre in the main restaurant - how can it be anything else when you cook for 2000+ people? Breakfast was the best meal of the day, with plenty of choice, but the previous day's leftovers at lunch and dinner was to be avoided - dry and uninspiring. Other restaurants, where food is cooked to order were better - we had a very good meal at the French-style restaurant.

Our experience was tainted by widespread upset stomachs, not just in our group but across the hotel. I don't know whether this was due to a hygiene problem or a human-spread virus. For the first time in my life, I suffered a full-on bout of food poisoning from a dodgy piece of red snapper in the El Patio restaurant. It was excruciating for 36 hours and quite frankly spoiled the whole holiday.

I would put this resort at 3 star. It was OK, but not wonderful. Would I stay again? Maybe, but I would probably go higher up the TripAdvisor ladder. However, this resort was quite inexpensive, so I guess I got what I'd paid for.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Nick J
Reviewed July 10, 2010

Stayed 30th June to 7th July 2010. We had a good flight with Thomson, landing on time. The transfer to the hotel took just under 2 hours, but gave us a chance to see part of the island.

We thought the hotel was excellent. We were allocated a room in the prefered club, block 7, which was well equipped and spacious. We did get some flies in the room one night. and they moved us to an alternative room to sleep that night before going back to our original room the next morning, after it had been fumigated. They seem to fumigate rooms on a fairly regular basis to ensure rooms are bug free.

Suggest you don't get too hung up about the room allocated. We had requested a pool view, but didn't get one. It wasn't a problem as we spent so little time in the room. We didn't use the balcony, as the mosquitos were in abundance. In fact most people seemed to get bitten by them so don't forget your repellant.

The beach was beautiful, lovely sand, warm water, palm trees, and plenty of sun beds plus the added bonus, waitresses to bring you drinks. Perfect. Used the fruit boat on the beach, and it was delicious.

The main pool was excellent, we didn't have trouble getting any sunbeds. The infinity pool with its swim up bar was quite an attraction, and beds were taken quickly. The swim up bar with its large choice of cocktails was great. The only complaint would be the limited number of parasols. Get up early if you want one!,

The food in the buffet restaurant was excellent, with a huge choice. The steaks were fab. We also tried the French, Italian and Grill restaurants and enjoyed them all. Some required long trousers for gents and will turn you away if not wearing them.

The 4th July celebration was great. BBQ around the pool, with live music and fireworks.

There is a good selection of bars. Our favourite was the Veranda bar, lovely and comfortable and overlooking the sea. If you want bottled lager eg Budwisser, it was only served in the lobby bar, and they did run out of it regularly.

The staff worked very hard and were very friendly, providing an excellent service for guests. They even supplied new drinks before you had finished the one you were drinking.

There was a total of six in our party and we all had a great time.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
8  Thank macdan
Reviewed July 9, 2010

I stayed here 18 June - 2 July 2010 with my boyfriend (both aged 28) and had a great time! The resort is beautiful, service is good and food and drink plentiful.

Pros
Lovely hotel grounds, pools and beach
Room was nice and clean although not amazing. Didn't have any noise problems however
Excellent choice of food and drink generally. Tried all restaurants except the Dominican (goat - yuk!)
Staff were generally friendly and although they spoke to you in Spanish initially they would speak in English if you responded in English
The horse riding excursion to the caves - not for the faint hearted but FUN!
Mix of guest nationalities so had a cosmopolitan feel
20 min transfer from La Romana airport
Excellent value for money

Cons
We did suffer from upset stomachs although we didn't eat out of resort or drink tab water etc
It was quite secluded and the local village didn't offer much entertainment
Excursions were expensive - £130 dollars for two for a half day
Mexican restaurant was horrible - avoid
Not all restuarants have A/C

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MissDG1
Reviewed July 6, 2010

My husband (51), daughter (21) and I (49) stayed at Dreams La Romana from May 18th -25th. Arrived via Punta Cana airport and it was about a 1 1/2 drive to the resort. We ended up being the only ones in a van that probably seated about 12 so that made the ride a little better. Our driver was courteous and a good driver.

Upon arrival, we were given a glass of champagne and a cold towel. I emailed the hotel before we travelled and requested a 3rd floor room in Building #4 on the side that faced Building #3. We were able to check in right away and were given a 3rd floor room in Building #5 (which is the preferred building) even though we didn't pay for that. However, other than staying in the preferred building, we did not have any of the other amenites of the preferred club. Our room faced the preferred club pool and had an ocean view so it was very nice. I thought that the rooms were much smaller than rooms in other resorts around the Caribbean. It turns out that Building #4 would have been very loud as it was the closest to the main pool and many activities using microphones go on there from morning until about 11 p.m. So it worked out for the best.

Room - The room was tasteful decorated and recently updated. We had 2 double beds, a decent size bathroom and a nice balcony. There was some drawer space and a large closet for storage. There was also a mini bar but other than water, we didn't use it. The air conditioning worked well and the housekeeping staff kept the room very clean. My only complaint about the housekeeping staff is that they never left enough towels especially face cloths. That was very annoying. And yes, everyone else is correct - the noise level in the rooms was ridculous. You could hear every word your neighbors were saying. Our neighbors liked to come in late at night and turn their tv on. I'm sure they didn't realize how loud it was but it woke us up.

Food - I'll start off by saying that you should keep in mind that food opinions are very subjective (even mine!) and everyone has their own opinion :) We absolutely HATED the buffet. We have been going to all-inclusives for years all over the Caribbean and Mexico and have never encountered such a poor buffet. The breakfast was so so, but the dinner was horrible. After the first night, we just ate at the specialty restaurants for lunch and dinner. For dinner, we ate at the Italian restaurance twice, the French restaurant once, the Seafood restaurant (Oceana) twice and the Asian Fusion restaurant once. Everyday we had lunch at the Seaside Grill and the food was great and the service was even better. We stayed at the Riu in Aruba last year and the food, especially the buffet, was top notch!

Entertainment - We really didn't participate in many activities. I did the beach aerobics every day. There were shows at night and we only saw one by the main pool, a magic show in the convention center and stopped and listened to karaoke one night.

Beach/Pools - We loved the beach. There were always plenty of beach lounge chairs both in the sun and in the shade. The ocean was very calm and the water was warm. The pool area was a different story - especially the infinity pool. If you did not get up at the crack of dawn to get one of the very few chairs that has an umbrella, you were out of luck. My daughter and I didn't mind sitting in the sun but my husband prefers the shade. We only got an umbrella one day. The main pool had more shade places but we found that pool to be very quiet and boring. We really preferred being around the infinity pool - which by the way, is where the pool bar is!

Grounds - The grounds were kept very clean and well-landscaped. All of the hallways in the buildings where the rooms are were open-air and the staff did a very good job of keeping them very clean. We did not encounter any bugs at the resort.

Excursions - We only did one trip away from the hotel. It was a day trip with Seavis Tours. This was the highlight of our week. It was called the Saona Island VIP tour. They took you on a speedboat via stops at the caves, mangroves and starfish area to this beautiful island. We toured a village and had a very nice lunch on the beach that included lobster. From there we went to one of the most beautiful beaches I have ever seen for snorkeling, lounging or whatever. I strongly recommend that you bring bug spray with you for the tour of the village. I had 19 bug bites by the time we left and they itched for days! Not the end of the world, but I wish I had known to bring some. The owners of the company, Alexander and Marion were such nice people. I would HIGHLY recommend this trip. Also, it's only a 5 minute walk down the beach to meet the tour and start your day!

Staff - We have been to many resorts and I will say that the Dominican people are some of the nicest we have ever met. Nothing is too much trouble for them and they go out of their way to see that you are happy.

Weather - It probably rained at some point almost every day which was very annoying and certainly not the hotel's fault! If I had known that May was part of their rainy season, I probably would have went another time. There were many days when it was more cloudy than sunny.

There were people of all nationalities at this resort. Everyone that we met was friendly. While we were there, I would say it was mostly French and British. Very, very few Americans. All that being said, would I return here? Probably not - the room noise level made for a very noisy stay and also because we rarely ever do any hotel twice-we like to try new places! However, if you are thinking of traveling here, just understand that it's probably more of a 3-4 star hotel and not a 5+ star hotel. You will meet amazing people and have a very nice time. Feel free to email me w/any questions :)

• Stayed: May 2010
6  Thank Desertgirl1960
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayahibe
Catalonia Royal La Romana
3 mi away
Be Live Collection Canoa
Be Live Collection Canoa
#12 of 16 in Bayahibe

Been to Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!