$101
$98
$189
$148
Savings alert! 22% below average rates

The price you found is 22% lower than this hotel's average rate of $189/night.

El Eden Hotel(Bayahibe)(Great Value!)
$64
$60
Catalonia Gran Dominicus(Bayahibe)
$158
$122
  • Breakfast included
Villa Baya Aparta-Hotel(Bayahibe)(Great Value!)
$60
Cabana Elke(Bayahibe)(Great Value!)
$90
$65
Hotel Villa Iguana(Bayahibe)(Great Value!)
$47
Hotel Bayahibe(Bayahibe)(Great Value!)
$88
$54
$150
HotelsClick
12,903 results
All reviewsseaside grillworld cafepreferred clubmain pooleddie murphypreferred poolpablo picassofruit boatjungle restaurantolio restaurantinfinity poolswim up barentertainment teamglass of champagnela romanacoffee shopbutler service
Reviewed December 25, 2009

We just spent a week at the Dreams La Romana and enjoyed the amenities! The beach is gorgeous, long, lots of fine sand, warm water. The staff are very friendly and fun to be with. I've never arrived at a resort that handed you a warm washcloth to wipe off the days journey followed by a glass of chilled wine/champagne..and that's for everyone, not just tour groups. Our room was on the 3rd floor with a slight view of the ocean, but the gardens, flowering shrubs, trees, etc. are amazing. The restaurants were fantastic in decor and food, the service impeccable. The place is clean, clean, clean! If I had to critic I would say they could improve the nightly entertainment as we didn't enjoy Karaoke (no one could sing)...I"d ban smoking from the main bar as you enter the resort as well (there are many Europeans that smoke) and I'd have smoke free areas on the beach too! (there is a cigar shop on site and I hate cigar smoke) but it wasn't a huge problem. The tour out to the island was disappointing for the price, it took us 2 1/2 hours to get there and the beach was not as nice, nor the food, and the bugs were bad. The star fish pool turned out to be 2-3 starfish in the ocean and it was sad to see them handled for photos out of water (as in killing them) and our guide did not have people put on life jackets from shore to the star fish area...not good, but that is outside of the resort so does not reflect on the resort.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank Susan0560
Reviewed December 24, 2009

We were there for a sister-in-laws wedding. I was VERY nervous about traveling with a 17 month old. Shouldn't have worried. They had a crib (drop side) and brought it to our room (did have to ask a few times, but it was there by bed time). We sat on the porch during nap time- no sleep problems. They do sell diapers ($$$) but not swim diapers. Everyone there bent over backwards and smiled and waved at the baby. He has an egg/dairy allergy and they were great about bringing out food plain and also about bring food for him before the other food so he wouldn't have to wait. Like another person said, they don't have elevators- so ground floor is best (also that way you can sit on the porch during naps and one person can run around a little). They have high chairs, but during peak hours you may have to wait a bit for one. We used the stroller and tray in those cases. If your baby hates playing in the water- this may not be the place for you. We spent a lot of time at the beach and at the pool. There is shade at the beach, and it's cooler there than at the pool (we had 2 4 month old babies with us and they stayed at the beach, in the shade, in strollers most of the time. Over all, great trip, didn't need to worry nearly as much as I did.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank FlMom_9
Reviewed December 17, 2009

A 2-hour trip from the airport that's not worth it.
The bathrooms on the resort were so gross that I went back to my room each time I had to use one. There was one that smelled like puke all week.
The food is not great. It looks great but is hugely disappointing. I'd go back for seconds because I couldn't get the satiety I was expecting from the looks of the food.
A bunch of us got sick after the Asian restaurant.
The 3 course meals at the restaurants were teeny-tiny. Most people went back to the buffet after the restaurant.
I tried to talk with some staff, they practically ran away from me. Actually, some did really literally run.
My friend got married there, which is why I went. The wedding-coordinator took 4 days off while my friend, the bride, panicked cuz she was getting married on day 5. During the wedding, we have our own photos of the wedding coordinator and the photographer having drinks at the bar while the guests organize themselves. Expect this at Dream La Romana.
The beach had a couple of huge huts for shade, but barely anything else. Do you enjoy being huddled close with all the strangers on the beach who don't worship the sun from 10 am to 6 pm?
It compares to the hotel where I stayed in Cuba...would not recommend it and would not go back, even if another friend was getting married there.

• Stayed: May 2009
1  Thank andrea9045
Reviewed December 15, 2009

My wife and I went for our fifth time in the DR and our second visit to Dreams- It was Sunscape, Casa del Mar the first time. We really liked it there and would definitely return again

We flew into Santo Domingo, and yes, it is about a 2 hr ride. We noticed on our first trip three years ago that there was a lot of road construction going on. They were in the process of building new highways then, and now a lot of that work is done. We were on highway almost all the way to the resort; except when we reached the city of La Romana. So it takes about 15 to 20 minutes to get through the city.

Arrival
When we arrived at the resort, we were greeted with champagne and “Welcome Home”- nice touch. The room wasn’t ready, so we left our bags and got some lunch. For some reason, we were put in the 700 block which is where the “Preferred Club” is located. The rooms were very nice there and it’s also very quiet- good for some people, but we preferred to be closer to the action. We asked for a room change and got it for the next day. The 300 block was closer to the pool and the beach so we were happier there. The rooms are not as nice in bldg 300, but we don’t spend much time there, so we didn’t care. Our room was clean and the minibar was stocked with drinks. The air conditioning worked fine.

The resort looks pretty much the same as it did the first time we came, but there are some changes- all for the better. The restaurants are a big improvement. The first night we went to the Jungle- beautiful location on the beach. The food there is Dominican which was OK, but there was better food at the other restaurants. We also went to the Mexican- Excellent, the Asian- very good and the French- which was exceptional. The French restaurant (Bordeaux, I believe) was adults only and dress code strictly enforced. We saw many people (men) get turned away because they weren’t wearing long pants or were wearing flip-flops.

We had breakfast at the buffet every morning and it was great. For lunch we went to the Seaside Café and really had good food there.

Beach
I like the Caribbean side- as opposed to Puerta Plata and Punta Cana- of the DR. The water is very calm and beautiful shades of blue. At this resort, they have good snorkeling right off the beach. You can borrow equipment at the beach. The dock on the right side of the beach has very good reefs. There are also markers out past the ropes where the reefs are excellent. It’s a pretty long swim to get there, but if you don’t mind the swim it’s much better out there.

The water is very calm and nice and warm. The sun is very hot and sunscreen at the resort is very expensive- best to bring it from home. You can also walk down the beach to the town of Bayahibe. It’s about a 15 minute walk.

Staff
As I said, this was our 5th trip to the DR. One thing we found consistent among the resorts is that the people are great. The staff at Dreams are no exception. They are very friendly and you can always expect an “Hola” from them as you pass. The entertainment staff worked very hard to make the day enjoyable. I honestly don’t understand how they can be so nice all day; day after day.

One thing you have to do is go to the main pool bar and see the bartender there. He is a dead ringer for Barrack Obama.

Everybody, from the maids to the bartenders, waiters and the entertainment staff work very hard and long days. Tipping is not required, but it is greatly appreciated. You’ll get the same service whether you tip or not. We left a couple of dollars a day for the maids and always brought some singles to give to the bartenders during the day. We always go to the bank for singles. For 5 nights we bring $50 to $100 to distribute.

Great Overall
After visits to resorts in Punta Cana and Puerta Plata, I prefer the La Romana area- mainly since it’s on the Caribbean side. Dreams is an excellent choice. We will definitely try a third time.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
6  Thank SteveFin
Reviewed December 13, 2009

I visited Dreams via WestJet from November 23rd to November 30th. This was my first time travelling alone: I choose this resort specifically because I had visited another Dreams property in Tulum, Mexico, and had a terrific time. I knew that I could trust another Dreams location to be as equally enjoyable. I also knew that this resort would feature a relaxed, family-oriented feel - I sure as heck did not want a "party-party" atmosphere.

My WestJet flight flew directly into La Romana and I am happy to report I enjoyed the twenty minute bus ride from the airport to the resort! If you have the option, try to fly directly into La Romana - you'll save a ton of travel time that way.

I was immediately impressed by the beautiful, open-air reception area upon my arrival. As per previous reviews, we were greeted with champagne and cookies. The resort was ready for the arrival of the WestJet guests and I was able to access my room immediately. When I arrived at my room, I struggled to activate the lights - there appeared to be no electricity. A quick call to the concierge resulted in instructions for me to insert my access card into a wall mounted unit that activated the electricity for the room. Voila!

I also got locked out of my room on my first night and had to return to the reception area a couple of times before I was able to get the issue rectified. I did find the staff earnest and helpful, which helped to alleviate the frustration I felt at the slightly slow response time in getting my issue resolved.

I was in Building 1, away from the main buildings. I was happy to be away from the nightly entertainment! I was in an older-style room, without iPod docking station and an old style TV. This was no biggie - I had brought an RCA input cable with me so I could still enjoy music through the TV. I also knew I would be spending very little time in my room.

The room itself was simple in presentation. My balcony was east-facing which I enjoyed during my room service breakfasts.

I DO recommend you try the room service breakfast - I ate breakfast in my room 6 of 7 days and was never disappointed. It felt decadent to enjoy my coffee on the balcony in the morning sun, in peace and quiet. I personally disliked the hustle and bustle of the buffet in the morning.

My one complaint about my room was that it featured an adjoining room to the suite next door. The noise seeped in through this door as if the door wasn't there - I could hear the family next door as if they were in the same room! I also had trouble sleeping with the noise from the hallway. I knew to expect the noise issue from other reviews and tried not to get too frustrated - after all, I'm on vacation!

The first few days I was at the resort saw the resort at capacity for the American Thanksgiving travellers. I did have trouble getting a beach chair on my first full day at the resort and going forward, I made sure to keep my beach towel overnight so I could easily reserve a chair for myself the next morning. As long as I was out on the beach or pools by 8AM, I was always able to snag a chair.

The grounds of the hotel are incredibly beautiful: I very much enjoyed the incredible gardens and greenery.

I thought the beach was beautiful and well-kept. I loved that I had the option to enjoy sun or shade, depending on where I sat. I also loved visiting the fresh fruit boat - what a treat!

I found the infinity pool beautiful but too hectic for my tastes with the swim-up bar. I spent most of my time at the main pool (which was more "relaxed" feeling) and the beach.

The service at all of the bars was terrific and fun. Whenever I found myself waiting for service, I reminded myself that I was no longer in Toronto and on Toronto time - and I simply focused on enjoying my surroundings.

My favourite restaurant was actually the Mexican restaurant. Check it out - it's very pretty at night. The food was also amazing and I can't believe how much I was able to pack back! ;)

I also ate at and enjoyed Oceana (sea food), Portofino (Italian), Bordeaux (French) and Himitsu (Asian-fusion). I personally really enjoyed the food at the resort - and food is *incredibly* important to me. I enjoyed each restaurant I ate at and thought the service was great. What made the service stand out to me was how earnest and well-intentioned it was.

I was lucky enough to meet some great people during my stay and would like to say "HI!" to Steve, Mila and Lara; to Collette; to Tony and Elizabeth; to Don and Sue. Thanks for the terrific company and conversation! :)

On my last day, I did half-consider trying to extend my stay... I so did not want to leave. My next trip to the DR will be for 14 days - I could relax in the sun with a book for two weeks easily, especially at such a lovely resort.

If you have any questions for me, please don't hesitate to message me.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo