We visited Dreams during Thanksgiving week, and had been frequent visitors of Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus (its La Romana competitor) in the past. Rather than write the cons/pros of Dreams, we will compare vs Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus (IHD).
Advantages at Dreams vs IHD
1. The beach is longer, the water is even calmer (lagoon), and entry into the water is easier with less of a step.
2. There are 2 large pools vs 1.
3. There are more restaurants, and no reservations are needed. The French and Italian are better than any at IHD, and it appeared in general the dress code was not as strict as in IHD.
4. Dreams held special events such as a Thanksgiving Parade, Monday Night Football on huge screen on the beach, and generally seemed more "fun" with more activities. The shows were held outside by the pool to enjoy the outdoors.
5. The renovated rooms at Dreams had flat TVs, DVD players, and did not have the mildew smell that left your clothes smelling months after. Most of the main buildings seemed to be closer to the beach due to the layout.
6. Besides the Dominican Beer, Heineken and Corona bottles were available at the lobby bar.
7. A coffee shop that operated throughout the day (until 10) served different coffees, cappachino and hot chocolate drinks.
8. The gym had air conditioning, unlike the one at IHD.
Disadvantages at Dreams vs IHD
1. The beach is crowded and there are less palapas for shade.
2. The pools are deeper so harder for kids that do not swim well as they have to hold on to the walls. No beach-style entry into the pools like at IHD.
3. The buffet food is better at IHD, and service at Dreams seemed slow and not organized. Items such as spoons were nowhere to be found sometimes, unlike at IHD. Also since there were alot of people it got crowded at the buffet for breakfast and lunch. It felt pretty hot during the lunch hours.
4. The landscaping grounds appeared to be nicer at IHD.
5. The service at IHD seemed a bit better.
From the above comparison, each resort offers something for everyone. Dreams seemed to be geared more towards North Americans, and IHD seemed to cater more to Europeans.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set amidst a world of pristine beaches, lush tropical jungle and turquoise sea on the southeast coast of the Dominican Republic, Dreams La Romana is the perfect resort for singles, couples and families. Unlimited Luxury Enjoy the many amenities of Unlimited-Luxury at Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa, where nearly everything is included. Every gourmet meal, every fine wine and cocktail, and so much more. At Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa, these amenities include: •Elegant accommodations with incredible views •Gourmet dining at eleven specialty restaurants •24-hour room service •Unlimited top-shelf spirits at seven festive bars and lounges •All day and nighttime activities and entertainment •Option to upgrade to Preferred Club privileges •Free WiFi and international calling with Unlimited Connectivity (coming soon) •Full breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks •Unlimited natural fruit juices and soft drinks •Unlimited international and domestic top-shelf spirits •Complimentary mini-bar refreshed daily with soft drinks, juices, bottled water and beer •24-hour room service •Specialty restaurants with no reservations required •Themed parties, oceanfront bars and entertainment venues •Pristine swimming pools •Pool and beach wait service •Endless daytime activities and live nightly entertainment •Explorer's Club for kids with supervised activities •Core Zone Teens Club with teen activities •Fitness center •No wristbands required •All taxes and gratuities Unlimited Top-Shelf Spirits Enjoy international and domestic top-shelf spirits, fine wines and ice-cold beer at any of our seven bars and lounges. Then keep the party going with 24-hour room service and your own complimentary mini-bar. All of your favorite drinks are served without limit or expected gratuities at Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa. World-Class Spa Indulge and invigorate your senses with a day in the Dreams Spa by Pevonia. Spanning more than 21,000 square feet, the on-site spa at Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa offers a la carte treatment options ranging from the traditional to transcendent. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, TravelUp, BookIt.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Orbitz and HotelQuickly so you can book your Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dreams La Romana Bayahibe
- Dreams La Romana Hotel Bayahibe
- Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa Dominican Republic/Bayahibe