13,407 results
All reviews seaside grill world cafe preferred club main pool eddie murphy preferred pool pablo picasso fruit boat jungle restaurant olio restaurant infinity pool swim up bar entertainment team glass of champagne coffee shop la romana super joe
Reviewed December 5, 2009

This was our third time to the resort and the first as a Dreams property. We were very impressed with the upgrades to the facilities--new infinity pool, swim up bar, coffee shop, new restaurant complex.

We went with another family couple for the second time. This is a great way to go--generally able to share more laughs that way.

First, I recommend the Domincan Republic to anyone who likes to be with friendly people. As a whole, Dominicans are happy, gentle and love to laugh. When you visit this resort, I recommend you try to connect with some of the people at the resort. You will be warmly embraced. I like to tell everyone I meet that I am from Higuey (a nearby town) and though they know I am obviously not, I get many new friends that way. We pretty much laughed ourselves silly the whole week.

Speaking of people, there are several I would like to single out. Domingo is a young waiter at Portofino, the Italian Restaurant. He is gracious and warm, with a beautiful smile. He also had a crush on our 16 year old daughter when we there in 2005. So, we had a good chuckle reminiscing.

You should also not miss Pedro, who sells excusions for GriGri Diving on property. His selling style is very low key. I recommend the speed boats and the snorkel trip to Catalina Island. Aside from being an outstanding salesman, Pedro is a fine gentleman, and an eligible bachelor!

It will be hard to miss Pablo Picasso, the resort's resident comedian. He speaks many languages and you will do yourself a great favor by spending some time laughing with him. The entire Entertainment team is fantastic and they work hard. Make sure to tip them--a couple of dollars will do.

I'd also like to mention some of the bar and wait staff--Joany (a sweetie!), JJ, Junior, Zoilo, Raul.

There are loads of activities from morning until night. You can do as much or as little as you like. The shows at night are very well done.

The restaurants were a huge upgrade from the last time we were there--not a bad one in the bunch. Check out the spa--a nice array of treatments. Ask for Sandra.

The rooms are very adequate, though universally you will hear that the walls are thin. If you manage to get a third floor room, you will have a vaulted ceiling with suspended ceiling fan. We stayed in Building 3--perfect-- as it is wedged between the World Cafe (buffet restaurant) and the infinity pool and not too far to walk to anywhere.

The one big disappointment is the gym. The equipment is ancient.

We highly recommend the resort to couples and families. We also highly recommend trying to throw in a little Spanish lingo while you are there. It will go a long way. Remember, you are visiting THEIR country, not the other way around.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SenorBlanco
Reviewed December 2, 2009

This was our 10th visit to the DR, our 3rd to LaRomana and our 1st to this Dreams resort. We have previously stayed at the Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus in Bayhibe and loved it. We thought we would try a new resort.

We were there from 11/14-11/21. We flew into LaRomana so the ride to the resort was only 15 minutes. We paid $10. to enter the country. It took maybe 15 minutes to get our bags and go thru customs. Very pleasant.

When we left the resort we ended up having to get transportation from La Romana to the airport in Santo Domingo because our flight was late and we were going to miss our connection in Puerto Rico. this was handled by American Airlines and was done very efficiently. We were notified while awaiting our flight that our plane was late. Although we didn't think we would make the flight in Santo Domingo, we did, and ended up arriving in Boston slightly earlier than we would have had we followed our oriiginal flight plan.

The resort is beautiful. Very well run. We had emailed prior to our arrival and requested a room on an upper floor in building 3 or 4 near the beach. We were given a room on the ground floor in building 4 closer to the lobby area than the beach. When I asked if we could be close to the beach and on an upper floor they were happy to move us the next night. We ended up in room 4239 which is a corner room on the left side when facing the beach on the 2nd floor. We loved this location. Very close to the beach with a glimpse of the ocean and also the pool between buidings 2 and 3. It was quiet although a couple of nights there was noise in the room next door but obviously that is not the hotels fault.

Our room was very nice. King size bed, very comfortable. plenty of storage in closet and plenty of hangers. Free safe. Nice bathroom with shower, scale (who needs that?) ahd blow dryer. Plenty of good shampoo, shower gel, body lotion and soap. Bring conditioner.

Flat screen TV, DVD player and IPOD doc in clock radio. Nice patio with view of pool and some ocean. Mini fridge was stocked daily with water, soda and beer. Our maid was great. Our room was cleaned every afternoon. I made up gift bags with candy and $2.00 which I left out everyday. There were plenty of english channels on TV. WE got the news in NY every night, also ESPN for anyone who wants football ect.
I brought my IPOD touch and bought 24 hour of internet for $25.00. the whole resort is wireless but I did not get the greatest signal in our room or on the beach. It was fine in the lobby and outside many of the resteraunts. it was great to have the ability, just don't expect it to be like home.

I checked with Verizon before we left regarding using our phones. I was told texting would be the easiest and least expensive .25 cents per message. We could not send a message the entire time we were there. We did receive them occassionally, usually the same message 5-8 times. Don't count on this. I used the phone to check in a couple of times and it was expensive. Dialing direct from the room was much cheaper. We did not have a problem receiving calls on our cell, but again this was pricey.

We have been to many all - inclusive resorts and the main advantage to Dreams is that you are not limited to the number of times you can eat at the a-la-carte resteraunts and you do not need to make reservations. This worked really well for us as we never knew what we were in the mood for until that night. We enjoyed all of our meals and tended to have dinner around 8pm so we rarely had to wait long at all. We ate at the Italian twice and had excellent meals both times, once at the Asian (very good), once at the Gourmet , twice at the Seaside Grill as we loved that location, 1 time at the Mexican. The Mexican and Seaside Grill had dining outside which we really liked. Not only did you not have to wear long pants, but the weather was perfect, no bugs and perfect temperature.
The house red wine was decent and there were plenty of options if you wanted to buy specific wine. also, we were able to get Coronas most days at the lobby bar.
The wait service at all of the resteraunts was very good. Very friendly staff and although there was an ocassional language barrier, that was our fault because we don't speak Spanish.

Lots of smiles and Gracias, go a long way. RELAX you are on vacation. You don't need to get anywhere in a hurry.

We were very lazy on this trip. Our plan was to get up early, get a great spot on the beach and relax in the sun all day. WE did that. 7 days in a row. I was on the beach by 8am at the latest. When my BF joined me around 9:30 we had breakfast at either the buffet or the Seaside Grill which offered a Continental breakfast outside on the patio near the water.

WE had lunch most days from the grill on the beach. Excellent burgers, along with potatoes and desserts. WE also had very good luch at the Seaside Grill just to the right of the beach.

The service on the beach was great. Wonderful, friendly waitresses who would be more than happy to bring you drinks every 15 minutes if that 's what you wanted. We tipped $1.00 every time and they were very grateful.. I did not see many people tipping and I think they all got great service regardless. Tip, a dollar here and there is greatly appreciated and they definately earn it.

I also brought lots of packages of gum and I "tipped" the waitress, the towel guy and also many of the landscapers who worked on and around the beach every day. They were so very grateful and it is so easy to do. Believe me, you will feel so much better having the ability to make someones day in such an easy manner.

The beach is beautiful. Nice sand that does not get too hot to walk on. I had no problem getting chairs, however, the last day we were there you could tell it was getting busier with Thanksgiving week and the chair thing could be more of a problem.
The ocean was great. Refreshing but not cold. Clear water and a very sandy bottom. No seaweed and no need for water shoes unless you want to snorkel near the pier and then water shoes were helpful.

Not as much shade on this beach as others we have been to, but we didn't go there for shade and you could always find some.

We went in the pools a couple fo times and they were nice. At the end of the day after watching the sun set into the ocean we enjoyed a soak in the hot tub at the infinity pool. We did not even realize this was there for our first few days. Once we found it, we enjoyed a cocktail and a soak in it before heading to our room to get ready for dinner.

We only did one day trip as we have done many of them before. We booked right on the beach from PEDRO, he works at the dive shop thru the resort. He is the best guy. Very low key sales approach. He will probably stop by and greet you and then let you know that he will be by the beach bar if you want to book a trip. His prices are very fair ( I believe less, than if you book with the tours in the lobby). We did the 5 hour trip to Catalina Island. left the beach at the resort at 9 am, went out to a reef and did some snorkeling for about an hour, then onto Catalina Island with a couple of hours on the beach. There is shopping there, you can snorkel off the beach or get a massage for 30 min. for $25. We did this and it was great. Right on our lounge chairs. After a couple of rum punch drinks, back on the boat and you tour along the LaRomana shoreline and then down the Chavon river a bit. Then back to the resort.

This is a great value for $50. booked thru PEDRO on the beach. Another trip we have done in the past is to Saona Island, this is a lot of fun too. Pedro can help you out with this as well. Tell him Erin and "Apple "man sent you!

If you are there in the fall and early winter, I reccomend going into LaRomana and taking in a baseball game. This is alot of fun and not to be missed.

We really enjoyed our vacation at Dreams. The staff were very welcoming and accomodating. We went to a couple of the shows at night and they were decent. The circus show was actually very good. First show we have ever seen at an all-inclusive that we said we would pay to see.

We went to the disco for a little bit a couple of nights and that seemed fun. WE also checked out the Casino and although it was small if had a decent following. WE never made it to the spa. They had some 2 for 1 specials that I wish we had taked advantage of.

Somehow a week is not quite long enough. I would really like 10 days. We had every intention of walking down to the village but never made it. We had the chance to shop at the resort when they had vendors out by the pool on various nights but we never did that either.

Dreams is very well run and we would definately return. The time of year we were there was great. The resort was not over crowded. The weather was perfect mid 80's every day, no humidity, no rain and beautiful evenings.

If I can answer any questions I will be happy to try. If you book this resort you will not be dissappointed and it would be very hard to not have a good time here.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
12  Thank Erin G
Reviewed December 2, 2009

This was our first all-inclusive and I spent weeks reading reviews on different resorts.
We stayed in the Preferred Club section, and everything at Dreams turned out to be just perfect, way above the wildest expectations that I had! Restaurants were very good! No wait ever! The beach and water fabulous. Service was great. We booked the romantic lobster dinner on the pier for one night and there was a mishap (double booking). The staff very apologetically asked us to reschedule to another day. We were just fine as it was not a big deal, but they insisted that we got our dinner completely for free for the inconvenience. Now that's service!
It may have been a week particularly not busy, but I really cannot find anything to complain.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank flyingoz
Reviewed December 1, 2009

This hotel exceeded all of our expectations

The hotel was in Bayahibe which has a great beach. The hotel itself is great, nicely decorated rooms with the latest ... amenities. Excellent bars and restaurants, not a wait for any of them and no reservation. The hotel had some good ideas like a fruit stand at the beach and bars by the restaurants so you can enjoy a drink while deciding what to eat and a coffee shop for gourmet coffee and pastries. The staff went above and beyond to make sure they were being helpful to us. Everytime a waitress saw me step up to the bar they automatically informed me I should sit and they would deliver my drink to my table or my location at the pool or beach. The italian restaurant was the best one however the french and seafood were good too. The dominican restaurant received an A+ for decoration and overall theme of the restaurant. The mexican had great mariachi singers and the Asian was very good and fun. The lunch grill stand at the beach and the buffet were good, the burgers were some of the best I had in DR, the grill cafe was the only restaurant that was a disappointment. Overall this hotel is sharing the #1 spot for all inclusives in DR. I go twice a year and have tried many, many hotels and was not expecting the quality of service and amenities for the price I paid. The beach here is better than Punta Cana as it does not have any waves. The only draw back is that is in the middle of nowhere. It is a national park/fishing village but the hotel amenities more than made up for that, no need to go anywhere outside the hotel. There's plenty to do from laying at the beach all day to tennis, video games, fitness walks. You will not be bored.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
5  Thank ndelapaz
Reviewed November 30, 2009

All-inclusive resort on the sea. Food options abound and more pools than you can shake a stick at. Drinks are cold and potent. Entertainment is not Vegas, but very energetic.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple