“Nice resort - like Iberostar but ...”

Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Bayahibe
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 6, 2009

We visited Dreams during Thanksgiving week, and had been frequent visitors of Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus (its La Romana competitor) in the past. Rather than write the cons/pros of Dreams, we will compare vs Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus (IHD).

Advantages at Dreams vs IHD

1. The beach is longer, the water is even calmer (lagoon), and entry into the water is easier with less of a step.

2. There are 2 large pools vs 1.

3. There are more restaurants, and no reservations are needed. The French and Italian are better than any at IHD, and it appeared in general the dress code was not as strict as in IHD.

4. Dreams held special events such as a Thanksgiving Parade, Monday Night Football on huge screen on the beach, and generally seemed more "fun" with more activities. The shows were held outside by the pool to enjoy the outdoors.

5. The renovated rooms at Dreams had flat TVs, DVD players, and did not have the mildew smell that left your clothes smelling months after. Most of the main buildings seemed to be closer to the beach due to the layout.

6. Besides the Dominican Beer, Heineken and Corona bottles were available at the lobby bar.

7. A coffee shop that operated throughout the day (until 10) served different coffees, cappachino and hot chocolate drinks.

8. The gym had air conditioning, unlike the one at IHD.

Disadvantages at Dreams vs IHD

1. The beach is crowded and there are less palapas for shade.

2. The pools are deeper so harder for kids that do not swim well as they have to hold on to the walls. No beach-style entry into the pools like at IHD.

3. The buffet food is better at IHD, and service at Dreams seemed slow and not organized. Items such as spoons were nowhere to be found sometimes, unlike at IHD. Also since there were alot of people it got crowded at the buffet for breakfast and lunch. It felt pretty hot during the lunch hours.

4. The landscaping grounds appeared to be nicer at IHD.

5. The service at IHD seemed a bit better.

From the above comparison, each resort offers something for everyone. Dreams seemed to be geared more towards North Americans, and IHD seemed to cater more to Europeans.

Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
14  Thank UConn1

Reviewed December 5, 2009

This was our third time to the resort and the first as a Dreams property. We were very impressed with the upgrades to the facilities--new infinity pool, swim up bar, coffee shop, new restaurant complex.

We went with another family couple for the second time. This is a great way to go--generally able to share more laughs that way.

First, I recommend the Domincan Republic to anyone who likes to be with friendly people. As a whole, Dominicans are happy, gentle and love to laugh. When you visit this resort, I recommend you try to connect with some of the people at the resort. You will be warmly embraced. I like to tell everyone I meet that I am from Higuey (a nearby town) and though they know I am obviously not, I get many new friends that way. We pretty much laughed ourselves silly the whole week.

Speaking of people, there are several I would like to single out. Domingo is a young waiter at Portofino, the Italian Restaurant. He is gracious and warm, with a beautiful smile. He also had a crush on our 16 year old daughter when we there in 2005. So, we had a good chuckle reminiscing.

You should also not miss Pedro, who sells excusions for GriGri Diving on property. His selling style is very low key. I recommend the speed boats and the snorkel trip to Catalina Island. Aside from being an outstanding salesman, Pedro is a fine gentleman, and an eligible bachelor!

It will be hard to miss Pablo Picasso, the resort's resident comedian. He speaks many languages and you will do yourself a great favor by spending some time laughing with him. The entire Entertainment team is fantastic and they work hard. Make sure to tip them--a couple of dollars will do.

I'd also like to mention some of the bar and wait staff--Joany (a sweetie!), JJ, Junior, Zoilo, Raul.

There are loads of activities from morning until night. You can do as much or as little as you like. The shows at night are very well done.

The restaurants were a huge upgrade from the last time we were there--not a bad one in the bunch. Check out the spa--a nice array of treatments. Ask for Sandra.

The rooms are very adequate, though universally you will hear that the walls are thin. If you manage to get a third floor room, you will have a vaulted ceiling with suspended ceiling fan. We stayed in Building 3--perfect-- as it is wedged between the World Cafe (buffet restaurant) and the infinity pool and not too far to walk to anywhere.

The one big disappointment is the gym. The equipment is ancient.

We highly recommend the resort to couples and families. We also highly recommend trying to throw in a little Spanish lingo while you are there. It will go a long way. Remember, you are visiting THEIR country, not the other way around.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bill D
Reviewed December 2, 2009

This was our 10th visit to the DR, our 3rd to LaRomana and our 1st to this Dreams resort. We have previously stayed at the Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus in Bayhibe and loved it. We thought we would try a new resort.

We were there from 11/14-11/21. We flew into LaRomana so the ride to the resort was only 15 minutes. We paid $10. to enter the country. It took maybe 15 minutes to get our bags and go thru customs. Very pleasant.

When we left the resort we ended up having to get transportation from La Romana to the airport in Santo Domingo because our flight was late and we were going to miss our connection in Puerto Rico. this was handled by American Airlines and was done very efficiently. We were notified while awaiting our flight that our plane was late. Although we didn't think we would make the flight in Santo Domingo, we did, and ended up arriving in Boston slightly earlier than we would have had we followed our oriiginal flight plan.

The resort is beautiful. Very well run. We had emailed prior to our arrival and requested a room on an upper floor in building 3 or 4 near the beach. We were given a room on the ground floor in building 4 closer to the lobby area than the beach. When I asked if we could be close to the beach and on an upper floor they were happy to move us the next night. We ended up in room 4239 which is a corner room on the left side when facing the beach on the 2nd floor. We loved this location. Very close to the beach with a glimpse of the ocean and also the pool between buidings 2 and 3. It was quiet although a couple of nights there was noise in the room next door but obviously that is not the hotels fault.

Our room was very nice. King size bed, very comfortable. plenty of storage in closet and plenty of hangers. Free safe. Nice bathroom with shower, scale (who needs that?) ahd blow dryer. Plenty of good shampoo, shower gel, body lotion and soap. Bring conditioner.

Flat screen TV, DVD player and IPOD doc in clock radio. Nice patio with view of pool and some ocean. Mini fridge was stocked daily with water, soda and beer. Our maid was great. Our room was cleaned every afternoon. I made up gift bags with candy and $2.00 which I left out everyday. There were plenty of english channels on TV. WE got the news in NY every night, also ESPN for anyone who wants football ect.
I brought my IPOD touch and bought 24 hour of internet for $25.00. the whole resort is wireless but I did not get the greatest signal in our room or on the beach. It was fine in the lobby and outside many of the resteraunts. it was great to have the ability, just don't expect it to be like home.

I checked with Verizon before we left regarding using our phones. I was told texting would be the easiest and least expensive .25 cents per message. We could not send a message the entire time we were there. We did receive them occassionally, usually the same message 5-8 times. Don't count on this. I used the phone to check in a couple of times and it was expensive. Dialing direct from the room was much cheaper. We did not have a problem receiving calls on our cell, but again this was pricey.

We have been to many all - inclusive resorts and the main advantage to Dreams is that you are not limited to the number of times you can eat at the a-la-carte resteraunts and you do not need to make reservations. This worked really well for us as we never knew what we were in the mood for until that night. We enjoyed all of our meals and tended to have dinner around 8pm so we rarely had to wait long at all. We ate at the Italian twice and had excellent meals both times, once at the Asian (very good), once at the Gourmet , twice at the Seaside Grill as we loved that location, 1 time at the Mexican. The Mexican and Seaside Grill had dining outside which we really liked. Not only did you not have to wear long pants, but the weather was perfect, no bugs and perfect temperature.
The house red wine was decent and there were plenty of options if you wanted to buy specific wine. also, we were able to get Coronas most days at the lobby bar.
The wait service at all of the resteraunts was very good. Very friendly staff and although there was an ocassional language barrier, that was our fault because we don't speak Spanish.

Lots of smiles and Gracias, go a long way. RELAX you are on vacation. You don't need to get anywhere in a hurry.

We were very lazy on this trip. Our plan was to get up early, get a great spot on the beach and relax in the sun all day. WE did that. 7 days in a row. I was on the beach by 8am at the latest. When my BF joined me around 9:30 we had breakfast at either the buffet or the Seaside Grill which offered a Continental breakfast outside on the patio near the water.

WE had lunch most days from the grill on the beach. Excellent burgers, along with potatoes and desserts. WE also had very good luch at the Seaside Grill just to the right of the beach.

The service on the beach was great. Wonderful, friendly waitresses who would be more than happy to bring you drinks every 15 minutes if that 's what you wanted. We tipped $1.00 every time and they were very grateful.. I did not see many people tipping and I think they all got great service regardless. Tip, a dollar here and there is greatly appreciated and they definately earn it.

I also brought lots of packages of gum and I "tipped" the waitress, the towel guy and also many of the landscapers who worked on and around the beach every day. They were so very grateful and it is so easy to do. Believe me, you will feel so much better having the ability to make someones day in such an easy manner.

The beach is beautiful. Nice sand that does not get too hot to walk on. I had no problem getting chairs, however, the last day we were there you could tell it was getting busier with Thanksgiving week and the chair thing could be more of a problem.
The ocean was great. Refreshing but not cold. Clear water and a very sandy bottom. No seaweed and no need for water shoes unless you want to snorkel near the pier and then water shoes were helpful.

Not as much shade on this beach as others we have been to, but we didn't go there for shade and you could always find some.

We went in the pools a couple fo times and they were nice. At the end of the day after watching the sun set into the ocean we enjoyed a soak in the hot tub at the infinity pool. We did not even realize this was there for our first few days. Once we found it, we enjoyed a cocktail and a soak in it before heading to our room to get ready for dinner.

We only did one day trip as we have done many of them before. We booked right on the beach from PEDRO, he works at the dive shop thru the resort. He is the best guy. Very low key sales approach. He will probably stop by and greet you and then let you know that he will be by the beach bar if you want to book a trip. His prices are very fair ( I believe less, than if you book with the tours in the lobby). We did the 5 hour trip to Catalina Island. left the beach at the resort at 9 am, went out to a reef and did some snorkeling for about an hour, then onto Catalina Island with a couple of hours on the beach. There is shopping there, you can snorkel off the beach or get a massage for 30 min. for $25. We did this and it was great. Right on our lounge chairs. After a couple of rum punch drinks, back on the boat and you tour along the LaRomana shoreline and then down the Chavon river a bit. Then back to the resort.

This is a great value for $50. booked thru PEDRO on the beach. Another trip we have done in the past is to Saona Island, this is a lot of fun too. Pedro can help you out with this as well. Tell him Erin and "Apple "man sent you!

If you are there in the fall and early winter, I reccomend going into LaRomana and taking in a baseball game. This is alot of fun and not to be missed.

We really enjoyed our vacation at Dreams. The staff were very welcoming and accomodating. We went to a couple of the shows at night and they were decent. The circus show was actually very good. First show we have ever seen at an all-inclusive that we said we would pay to see.

We went to the disco for a little bit a couple of nights and that seemed fun. WE also checked out the Casino and although it was small if had a decent following. WE never made it to the spa. They had some 2 for 1 specials that I wish we had taked advantage of.

Somehow a week is not quite long enough. I would really like 10 days. We had every intention of walking down to the village but never made it. We had the chance to shop at the resort when they had vendors out by the pool on various nights but we never did that either.

Dreams is very well run and we would definately return. The time of year we were there was great. The resort was not over crowded. The weather was perfect mid 80's every day, no humidity, no rain and beautiful evenings.

If I can answer any questions I will be happy to try. If you book this resort you will not be dissappointed and it would be very hard to not have a good time here.

11  Thank Erin G
Reviewed December 2, 2009

This was our first all-inclusive and I spent weeks reading reviews on different resorts.
We stayed in the Preferred Club section, and everything at Dreams turned out to be just perfect, way above the wildest expectations that I had! Restaurants were very good! No wait ever! The beach and water fabulous. Service was great. We booked the romantic lobster dinner on the pier for one night and there was a mishap (double booking). The staff very apologetically asked us to reschedule to another day. We were just fine as it was not a big deal, but they insisted that we got our dinner completely for free for the inconvenience. Now that's service!
It may have been a week particularly not busy, but I really cannot find anything to complain.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank flyingoz
Reviewed December 1, 2009

This hotel exceeded all of our expectations

The hotel was in Bayahibe which has a great beach. The hotel itself is great, nicely decorated rooms with the latest ... amenities. Excellent bars and restaurants, not a wait for any of them and no reservation. The hotel had some good ideas like a fruit stand at the beach and bars by the restaurants so you can enjoy a drink while deciding what to eat and a coffee shop for gourmet coffee and pastries. The staff went above and beyond to make sure they were being helpful to us. Everytime a waitress saw me step up to the bar they automatically informed me I should sit and they would deliver my drink to my table or my location at the pool or beach. The italian restaurant was the best one however the french and seafood were good too. The dominican restaurant received an A+ for decoration and overall theme of the restaurant. The mexican had great mariachi singers and the Asian was very good and fun. The lunch grill stand at the beach and the buffet were good, the burgers were some of the best I had in DR, the grill cafe was the only restaurant that was a disappointment. Overall this hotel is sharing the #1 spot for all inclusives in DR. I go twice a year and have tried many, many hotels and was not expecting the quality of service and amenities for the price I paid. The beach here is better than Punta Cana as it does not have any waves. The only draw back is that is in the middle of nowhere. It is a national park/fishing village but the hotel amenities more than made up for that, no need to go anywhere outside the hotel. There's plenty to do from laying at the beach all day to tennis, video games, fitness walks. You will not be bored.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
5  Thank ndelapaz
Reviewed November 30, 2009

All-inclusive resort on the sea. Food options abound and more pools than you can shake a stick at. Drinks are cold and potent. Entertainment is not Vegas, but very energetic.

2  Thank ztg9587
Reviewed November 30, 2009

We have stayed in the Domincan Republic before, last year we were in Bavaro and had a great time, this year we wanted to go further south of the island. We stayed at Dreams La Romana, from 10th - 24th Nov. There was 4 of us, me and my partner and my sister and her partner. We booked through Thomson and flew to Punta Cana, we were aware of the length of the transfer from the airport, but after an 9 hour flight whats another hour and a half?
Like many others, we did alot of research on here before booking the holiday, and the majority of the reviews were very positive, and knowing how fussy and picky some people can be, were weren't too worried about the negative ones!

When we arrived at Dreams, we were welcomed with champagne, cold flannels and cookies. Check in was quick and we found our rooms easily. We had been concerned that some reviews mentioned that the rooms you see on the website are not the rooms you will get unless you book preferred club. We were in block 2 and we did have those rooms you see on the website, with the huge comfy beds and the flat screen TV, so we were very pleased. However when walking through another block during the holiday, we saw some of the old style rooms and they also looked very nice.
Our rooms were next to each other and Balloons had been put up in the room and on the door to welcome us, we had slippers and robes layed out on the bed. The slippers were really comfy and I took these home with me, but if you want to keep the dressing gown it will cost you $50.
The bed was really comfy, we had a DVD player and ipod docking station. The bathroom was a good size with bath and shower, plenty of amentities and a coffee machine.
We were not asked if we wanted to upgrade to the Preferred Club when we checked in, however we were given a leaflet for it and to me it didnt seem worth the money and we certainly didnt feel we were missing out on anything. The room also had a fridge with lots of water and soft drinks and Beer which was restocked every day. People had mentioned about the paper thin walls. we could not hear anything throught the walls, however there is a small gap under the door and sometimes we had very noisy neighbours walking down the corridors in the middle of the night that would wake us up.

The food and drink was amazing, we certainly got our moneys worth. Whats great about this resort is that you dont have to book for the restaurants and you can go as many times as you like. Some people have complained that not all the Restaurants were open every night. With it being low season, the restaurants rotated being open this was not a problem, each night we received a flyer under our room doors, which gave you an hour by hour itinery of what activities and events were going on and which restaurants and bars were open and what time they open and closed. This was really useful and a great idea. I dont how people can complain about this system, you are only going t5o eat at one restaurant a night so there were still plenty of restaurants to choose from.

The main Buffet was excellent, something for everyone, so much choice. We went there for breakfast some mornings and they do a wonderful ommlette. We also went there for dinner a couple of times and there is always a different theme which was great.

We went to all the restaurants apart from the Jungle one which is Dominican restaurant, we werent too fussed about going here as we had attended the Domincan night at the World Cafe, and the menu for the restaurant seemed very similar.
The other restaurants were all amazing, Seaside Grill - great steaks and ribs (We also went here for lunch as they have a great snack menu), Italian, Asian, Seafood, Mexican were all great and the French was excellent and our favourite.
There are different dress codes for different restaurants, particularly the French and Italian restaurants, where men had to wear long trousers no flip flops at all for men and women. I have mixed feelings about this, I can see why they want you to look smart as they are very nice restaurants, but on the other hand you are on holiday, and flip flops are very convenient to slip on. Luckily I had taken a couple of pairs of sandals. For the men, our partners had only flip flops and so had to wear their trainers, which were a bit hot to wear during the evening. Luckily the restaurants were air conditioned so not too bad.

Drinks were plentiful, during the day on the beach and at the pools there was beach service, where the dedicated waitresses would bring you drinks, all day long if you wanted them. The cocktails were really good, sometimes different bars would have different views on how the drinks were made, for example, the Caribbean Queen came in about 4 or 5 different versions, all very nice though!
The Blue Hawaiian and Banana Mama was a personal favourite!

The beach was amazing, when we were in Bavaro last year although the beach was stunning, it was quite wavey and the sand would make the water cloudy. At Dreams the water was perfectly still you could see your feet and the fish swimming around you. There was very little seaweed and hardly any waves. A couple of days into the holiday, there was a storm brewing and so the water wasnt as calm, but it settled down after a day or 2. The pools were lovely, we only went in the infinity pool once, it would get really busy with the swim up bar and the service would therefore be quite slow sometimes so we usually avoided it. We used the main pool quite often and it was really lovely, with really comfy sun loungers.

The first week of our holiday, it was very quiet and relaxing, there were always plenty of sunbeds on the beach and by the pool. However by the end of our second week, it was getting really busy, I presume because of Thanksgiving and school holidays. By the last 2 days it was impossible to get a sun bed. This annoys me, people who reserve the sun beds with their towels for hours. Most mornings we would arrive at the beach at 9am and most of the sunbeds had no one on them just several towels, they then wouldn't come back until a good 2 or 3 hours after. I know this is difficult for the hotel to manage but there must be some sort of system to stop this, it is so rude and frustrating. On 2 occassions I had to lye on the concrete floor at the pool, in the end my sister got so fed up she moved someone's towel and took the sun bed. They didnt say anything when they came back... what could they say? Even on our last day, we made an effort to get up extra early to make the most of the moring before we were being picked up. We were at the beach for just before 8am and all the beds were taken, so I suggest that if want to sit at the beach you will need to be there at the crack of dawn! This isnt a complaint against the hotel but at some of the ignorant and obnoxious guests that do this! On one occasion our partners were accussed by a Russian couple for swapping over their sunbeds, so pathetic!
I can only imagine that it is a nightmare in high season with all these sun bed hoggers!

We went to the Casino one night, but i didnt really have a clue on what I was doing and I was finding myself wasting money on the machines that i didnt understand so we didnt go back, but glad we went and experienced it. We went to the disco a few times, it was actually very good. usually theses resort discos can be quite cheesy but we had a great time, the decor inside is really nice and the music is up to date and found myself dancing alot after a large quantity of rum. Outside at the back of the disco there are lots of comfy seats and they even have 3 beds outside that you can relax on, these were our favourite and spent alot of time on them.

We watched some of the shows that were at the main pool at night and the ones we watched were really good, Circus, Soundtrack Show and Bubble Show were the most memorable. All the staff not just the Entertainment Team worked so hard, they were all really friendly and always said hello when they passed you.
Other special events we went too, was the Thomson Champagne Party on the Pier watching the sunset, Romantic night on the beach, which was really nice and the
Managers Cocktail Party at the pool, also very good!

We only did one excursion and that was to Saona island, it cost us $80, we had done it the previous year and really enjoyed it. And although it was a good day, i actually think the Beach at Dreams was nicer than the Island, it was quite dirty, lots of seaweed and there were loads of mosquitos too. Make sure you take plenty of repellent is you go to Saona, we did and still got bitten.
At the resort, we didnt get too bitten, I made sure that we took plenty of repellent but on occassions when we sat at the beach at night time I got bitten then. The rooms are fumigated every monday if you want it doing.

Regarding tips, we usually tipped the bar staff and waitresses a couple of dollars every 3 or 4 drinks. If we ate at the world cafe we would tip around $2 and at the restaurants between $5 and $8 depending on the service.

The weather was great with a couple of short showers, but the temperature read at around 40 degrees celcius during midday. On one occassion me and my sister sat watching the show while the boys went back to the room to change. On their way back they were wtaching the lightening when my partner almost stepped on a huge spider, which they say was nearly the length of their shoe. They saw a groundsman and asked him to come over, when he saw it told our partners to move way back, and made a cutting sign against his throat. He told them to wait there and he disappeared to get something. he returned with a large pole, in which he battered it to death.
Upon returning home, we have tried to look up the spider but havent had much look, all we can say that, it was very big, brown, hairy with really long legs. I remember reading a review on here which also mentioned a huge deadly spider in the lobby. So make sure you check where you are walking, this one was just sat in the middle of the path near building 3.

I could write hundreds of pages about what an amazing time we had, about all the different places on the resort, the hidden pool near the wedding gazebo and all the crabs on the logs to the right of the seaside grill and the snorkelling around the pier and feeding the fish bread in the sea and watching all the Angel Fish swim around you, but not matter how much I write about, it will never describe how wonderful this place is.

I would love to go again and would reccomend it to anyone, Please ignore the negative comments. Those people must be deluded and extremely picky if they think there is something wrong with this resort. If you get the choice I would definately reccomend going during low season, I can imagine it does get very busy during the high season. I would go in November again, but a week earlier to avoid the American Holidays because it was getting really busy.

One last thing, the shops on the resort are quite overpriced, if you are wanting to buy alcohol and cigarettes to take home, buy them from duty free at the airport they are half the price!

If you are going to Dreams la Romana, I hope you have a great time, you will not regret it!

12  Thank Hannah84_9
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayahibe
Casa de Campo Resort & Villas
Dreams Dominicus La Romana
Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus
Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa
Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana
Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana
#14 of 112 in Punta Cana
Melia Caribe Tropical

Been to Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!