13,270 results
All reviews seaside grill world cafe preferred club main pool eddie murphy preferred pool pablo picasso fruit boat jungle restaurant olio restaurant infinity pool swim up bar entertainment team glass of champagne la romana coffee shop butler service
Reviewed November 30, 2009

All-inclusive resort on the sea. Food options abound and more pools than you can shake a stick at. Drinks are cold and potent. Entertainment is not Vegas, but very energetic.

2  Thank ztg9587
Reviewed November 30, 2009

We have stayed in the Domincan Republic before, last year we were in Bavaro and had a great time, this year we wanted to go further south of the island. We stayed at Dreams La Romana, from 10th - 24th Nov. There was 4 of us, me and my partner and my sister and her partner. We booked through Thomson and flew to Punta Cana, we were aware of the length of the transfer from the airport, but after an 9 hour flight whats another hour and a half?
Like many others, we did alot of research on here before booking the holiday, and the majority of the reviews were very positive, and knowing how fussy and picky some people can be, were weren't too worried about the negative ones!

When we arrived at Dreams, we were welcomed with champagne, cold flannels and cookies. Check in was quick and we found our rooms easily. We had been concerned that some reviews mentioned that the rooms you see on the website are not the rooms you will get unless you book preferred club. We were in block 2 and we did have those rooms you see on the website, with the huge comfy beds and the flat screen TV, so we were very pleased. However when walking through another block during the holiday, we saw some of the old style rooms and they also looked very nice.
Our rooms were next to each other and Balloons had been put up in the room and on the door to welcome us, we had slippers and robes layed out on the bed. The slippers were really comfy and I took these home with me, but if you want to keep the dressing gown it will cost you $50.
The bed was really comfy, we had a DVD player and ipod docking station. The bathroom was a good size with bath and shower, plenty of amentities and a coffee machine.
We were not asked if we wanted to upgrade to the Preferred Club when we checked in, however we were given a leaflet for it and to me it didnt seem worth the money and we certainly didnt feel we were missing out on anything. The room also had a fridge with lots of water and soft drinks and Beer which was restocked every day. People had mentioned about the paper thin walls. we could not hear anything throught the walls, however there is a small gap under the door and sometimes we had very noisy neighbours walking down the corridors in the middle of the night that would wake us up.

The food and drink was amazing, we certainly got our moneys worth. Whats great about this resort is that you dont have to book for the restaurants and you can go as many times as you like. Some people have complained that not all the Restaurants were open every night. With it being low season, the restaurants rotated being open this was not a problem, each night we received a flyer under our room doors, which gave you an hour by hour itinery of what activities and events were going on and which restaurants and bars were open and what time they open and closed. This was really useful and a great idea. I dont how people can complain about this system, you are only going t5o eat at one restaurant a night so there were still plenty of restaurants to choose from.

The main Buffet was excellent, something for everyone, so much choice. We went there for breakfast some mornings and they do a wonderful ommlette. We also went there for dinner a couple of times and there is always a different theme which was great.

We went to all the restaurants apart from the Jungle one which is Dominican restaurant, we werent too fussed about going here as we had attended the Domincan night at the World Cafe, and the menu for the restaurant seemed very similar.
The other restaurants were all amazing, Seaside Grill - great steaks and ribs (We also went here for lunch as they have a great snack menu), Italian, Asian, Seafood, Mexican were all great and the French was excellent and our favourite.
There are different dress codes for different restaurants, particularly the French and Italian restaurants, where men had to wear long trousers no flip flops at all for men and women. I have mixed feelings about this, I can see why they want you to look smart as they are very nice restaurants, but on the other hand you are on holiday, and flip flops are very convenient to slip on. Luckily I had taken a couple of pairs of sandals. For the men, our partners had only flip flops and so had to wear their trainers, which were a bit hot to wear during the evening. Luckily the restaurants were air conditioned so not too bad.

Drinks were plentiful, during the day on the beach and at the pools there was beach service, where the dedicated waitresses would bring you drinks, all day long if you wanted them. The cocktails were really good, sometimes different bars would have different views on how the drinks were made, for example, the Caribbean Queen came in about 4 or 5 different versions, all very nice though!
The Blue Hawaiian and Banana Mama was a personal favourite!

The beach was amazing, when we were in Bavaro last year although the beach was stunning, it was quite wavey and the sand would make the water cloudy. At Dreams the water was perfectly still you could see your feet and the fish swimming around you. There was very little seaweed and hardly any waves. A couple of days into the holiday, there was a storm brewing and so the water wasnt as calm, but it settled down after a day or 2. The pools were lovely, we only went in the infinity pool once, it would get really busy with the swim up bar and the service would therefore be quite slow sometimes so we usually avoided it. We used the main pool quite often and it was really lovely, with really comfy sun loungers.

The first week of our holiday, it was very quiet and relaxing, there were always plenty of sunbeds on the beach and by the pool. However by the end of our second week, it was getting really busy, I presume because of Thanksgiving and school holidays. By the last 2 days it was impossible to get a sun bed. This annoys me, people who reserve the sun beds with their towels for hours. Most mornings we would arrive at the beach at 9am and most of the sunbeds had no one on them just several towels, they then wouldn't come back until a good 2 or 3 hours after. I know this is difficult for the hotel to manage but there must be some sort of system to stop this, it is so rude and frustrating. On 2 occassions I had to lye on the concrete floor at the pool, in the end my sister got so fed up she moved someone's towel and took the sun bed. They didnt say anything when they came back... what could they say? Even on our last day, we made an effort to get up extra early to make the most of the moring before we were being picked up. We were at the beach for just before 8am and all the beds were taken, so I suggest that if want to sit at the beach you will need to be there at the crack of dawn! This isnt a complaint against the hotel but at some of the ignorant and obnoxious guests that do this! On one occasion our partners were accussed by a Russian couple for swapping over their sunbeds, so pathetic!
I can only imagine that it is a nightmare in high season with all these sun bed hoggers!

We went to the Casino one night, but i didnt really have a clue on what I was doing and I was finding myself wasting money on the machines that i didnt understand so we didnt go back, but glad we went and experienced it. We went to the disco a few times, it was actually very good. usually theses resort discos can be quite cheesy but we had a great time, the decor inside is really nice and the music is up to date and found myself dancing alot after a large quantity of rum. Outside at the back of the disco there are lots of comfy seats and they even have 3 beds outside that you can relax on, these were our favourite and spent alot of time on them.

We watched some of the shows that were at the main pool at night and the ones we watched were really good, Circus, Soundtrack Show and Bubble Show were the most memorable. All the staff not just the Entertainment Team worked so hard, they were all really friendly and always said hello when they passed you.
Other special events we went too, was the Thomson Champagne Party on the Pier watching the sunset, Romantic night on the beach, which was really nice and the
Managers Cocktail Party at the pool, also very good!

We only did one excursion and that was to Saona island, it cost us $80, we had done it the previous year and really enjoyed it. And although it was a good day, i actually think the Beach at Dreams was nicer than the Island, it was quite dirty, lots of seaweed and there were loads of mosquitos too. Make sure you take plenty of repellent is you go to Saona, we did and still got bitten.
At the resort, we didnt get too bitten, I made sure that we took plenty of repellent but on occassions when we sat at the beach at night time I got bitten then. The rooms are fumigated every monday if you want it doing.

Regarding tips, we usually tipped the bar staff and waitresses a couple of dollars every 3 or 4 drinks. If we ate at the world cafe we would tip around $2 and at the restaurants between $5 and $8 depending on the service.

The weather was great with a couple of short showers, but the temperature read at around 40 degrees celcius during midday. On one occassion me and my sister sat watching the show while the boys went back to the room to change. On their way back they were wtaching the lightening when my partner almost stepped on a huge spider, which they say was nearly the length of their shoe. They saw a groundsman and asked him to come over, when he saw it told our partners to move way back, and made a cutting sign against his throat. He told them to wait there and he disappeared to get something. he returned with a large pole, in which he battered it to death.
Upon returning home, we have tried to look up the spider but havent had much look, all we can say that, it was very big, brown, hairy with really long legs. I remember reading a review on here which also mentioned a huge deadly spider in the lobby. So make sure you check where you are walking, this one was just sat in the middle of the path near building 3.

I could write hundreds of pages about what an amazing time we had, about all the different places on the resort, the hidden pool near the wedding gazebo and all the crabs on the logs to the right of the seaside grill and the snorkelling around the pier and feeding the fish bread in the sea and watching all the Angel Fish swim around you, but not matter how much I write about, it will never describe how wonderful this place is.

I would love to go again and would reccomend it to anyone, Please ignore the negative comments. Those people must be deluded and extremely picky if they think there is something wrong with this resort. If you get the choice I would definately reccomend going during low season, I can imagine it does get very busy during the high season. I would go in November again, but a week earlier to avoid the American Holidays because it was getting really busy.

One last thing, the shops on the resort are quite overpriced, if you are wanting to buy alcohol and cigarettes to take home, buy them from duty free at the airport they are half the price!

If you are going to Dreams la Romana, I hope you have a great time, you will not regret it!

12  Thank Hannah84_9
Reviewed November 27, 2009

We have been to Dominican Rep. many times: Bahia Principe Punta Cana, Sunscape Punta Cana, Iberostar La Romana, Palladium Punta Cana, and we always loved it.
Pros:
We had a great vacation, and I can only say the staff is very helpfull, always serving with a smile.
Great beach, beautiful turquise , calm water, white powdery sand.
You can walk to Bayhibe, local village, where you can book your trips at (--). The owner is an american, with english and french speaking staff and provided an excellent diving experience.We were with them already second time, and highly recommend them.
Very nice rooms, modern furniture, comfortable beds. Can you hear your neighbours? Yes, if they are very loud, otherwise no.
Food was very good. They try for gourmet food in the a la carte restaurants and most of the time it was excellent. Service a little slow and disorganized, but nothing major. Am I complaining about food? Absolutely not! I can't, I gained 4 lb in one week.
Cons:
Evening entertainment was always around the pool, not enough sitting room and mainly involved the audience participation. Very short and boring.
Children- this resort is great for family with children, I highly recommend it. Even evening entertainment is geared towards kids.( 11 pm dance on the beach).
I do not recommend this resort to adults without children.
Disco- very nice, every night, quite full. Music? Russian! Yes , Russian.
The biggest turn off was the RUSSIAN TOURISTS, its about 90 % russians and 10 %other nationalities. And they can be very rude, pushy, loud and without manners. Their kids are running around without any supervision, doing whatever they please.
Fitness centre very small, 1 treadmill, 1 eliptical

So at the end I would not recommend this resort to you, unless you are Russian with children

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
4  Thank dagmar62
Reviewed November 26, 2009

ive just returned from staying in dreams for 2 weeks. we stayed in block 1, which was nice and away from the noise of the main pool. our room was nice and kept clean.the hotel complex is huge and thier is so much to do. the beach is very nice, the sea is lovely and warm and on a good day you can snorkel and see lots of different fish- the pier is the best place to do this. the weather was great- very hot around 32 c and humid at night. we had rain on two occasions during the day, but it posed no problems as was short bursts and sunny again after. take plenty of mossie spray, as we got bit to death at night time. the hotel could do with a few more sun beds on the beach, due to so many people staying their and was at full capacity during our stay. the food was very good with lots of variety- sometimes repetative though but lots of fresh meats and fish, fruits ect. the puddings are lovely and lots to choose from. The sea side grill was our favourite-the steak was very good and also the sea food a la carte was lovely. everything is all inclusive including international drinks ect, food in available at all hours and the staff are very friendly and attentive and cant do enough for you. tea and coffee is a bit slow in the mornings in the world cafe and can be a bit hetic. the staff didnt expect tips from us, but were grateful when given one. their is lots to do in the daytime with activites going on with the entertainment team if you wish to participate.also every night was entertainment by the main pool. the hotel is also great if you have kids as is so much for them to do.we did a trip to catalina island- this was good value at $50 each (not from rep) .the hotel widely excepts us dollars and they seem to prefer them to thier own currency- we didint touch the peso once during our trip. overall it was a great holiday and would highly recommend it. to anyone wishing to have a relaxing get away .

5  Thank ginaBedfordshire
Reviewed November 24, 2009

This is a gorgeous property we just spent a week from Nov 8 thru Nov 15, 2009 . The ocean: " can not had ask for better, the water was warm and clean. "

Some of the rooms unless you have a Suite, may need a littlebit bathroom repair. Other wise the rooms are spacious and kept clean. Great shows at night out by the pool, the entertaiments during the day are also great too.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends