13,141 results
All reviewsseaside grillworld cafepreferred clubmain pooleddie murphypreferred poolpablo picassofruit boatjungle restaurantolio restaurantinfinity poolswim up barentertainment teamglass of champagnela romanacoffee shopbutler service
Reviewed April 7, 2009

My wife and I just got back from our 1 year anniversary. This was our first stay at a Dreams Resort and will not be our last. We had a great time and miss it already. The weather was perfect except for a day of clouds and rain. The only major complaint that we had was the hour and forty-five minute bus ride from the airport in Punta Cana. Not the resorts fault, but it certainly did make us wish we had either flown into La Romana or stayed in Punta Cana. Once we arrived to the resort we were greated by bellboys who took our bags and another gentleman gave us a wet towel and directed us to the front desk.
We checked in around noon and were told that check in was not until 3pm, again not the resorts fault, but it would have been nice if Apple or our travel agent had informed us of this. Anyway the front desk worker told us we could get a drink at the bar and go grab something to eat at the buffet. We asked if there was anyway that we could get into our room sooner as we wanted to change and just relax for a bit. He checked with the cleaning staff and our room had already been cleaned so they let us go up early.

The Room: we were on the third floor so we had a room with a big vaulted ceiling which was nice. A comfortable King Sized bed, two chairs and a table on our balcony, and the other basic ammenities. Some have complained that the showers in the bathrooms leak all over the floor. Ours did not, it was a tub/shower combo. In order to keep the lights on in the room and the A/C running you had to leave a room card in a slot on the wall. Once we figured this out we left a card in there when we went to the beach and meals. The second day of doing this the maids took the card out and did not leave it in the room, so we were down one room key. So, don't leave the cards in the walls when you leave.

Services: The maids cleaned our room everyday. It seemed to be a different maid everyday. A seperate person fills up your mini-fridge with water and beer. And still another person will provide turn down service in the evening. We did not experience any problems with our room being cleaned or water and beer being restocked. Another couple that we had met said that their room didn't get cleaned until late in the evening and sometimes their fridge wasn't restocked. If you need anything for the fridge just call room service, they will bring it.

Food: While others have complained about the food, we found it to be pretty typical of all inclusive resorts. The buffet was great for breakfast, lunches were pretty much the same types of food everyday. Try the pasta it's pretty good. The a la cartes were decent, Himatsu, Bordouex and Seaside Grill were all excellent. The only complaint that we had was the way in which they waited the tables. For instance, one waiter would come up and tell you his name and that he would be your waiter for the evening, then several minutes later another would come by and take your order, and still another would bring your food. This was confussing at first but after we figured out that they work as a team it made sense and we just went with it. Another complaint was that not every a la carte was open every evening. They would often shut down one or two per night without any notice. My recommendation is to ask the front desk if they know ahead of time which places will be closed and when this way you can plan accordingly.

Bars: The drinks in the main lobby bar are all top-shelf alcohol. The bartenders up here make great drinks so tip them well! There is another bar similar to this one by Seaside Grill, not as many top-self liquors but still more than the poolside bars. The bar on the beach and the bars by the pools were ok. There was often a line for drinks on the beach and when you order a drink at any of the bars make sure to specify that you want alcohol in them. For instance, if you order a pina colada they will pour you one from a machine... if you ask for one with rum they will pour one from the machine and then add a shot or two of rum to the drink.

Entertainment: There is a team of about 30 people whose main job at the resort is to ensure that you are having fun!!! You will see these guys all over the beach and by the pools getting people involved in beach volleyball, water aerobics, and other fun beach games. They also put on the shows at night which my wife loved to watch. They put on a new show every night and they rarely repeat a show throughout the year unless it is a popular show that guests like. There is also an area for kids called the Core Zone. This building has several pool tables, pingpong tables, and fusball. They also have a Wii, Xbox 360, and 2 Playstation 3's. There was also a disco at night, never went, heard it was pathetic. And also a casino, stick to the slots if you go, we heard they don't really understand how to play all of the games at the tables, which could lead to you loosing money when you should be winning.

Overall Impressions: This resort was great! I would definately go back and I would recommend this resort my friends and family. There was plenty to do during the days and evenings. The food was decent and so were the drinks. While we didn't go on any of the excursions we heard that these were a lot of fun and worth checking out.

4  Thank PalmtreeSam
Reviewed April 6, 2009

THere were alot of good points and not-so-good points about this hotel.
Rooms:
We ended up having our wedding here, it was just my husband and I. We were upgraded to the "preferred" area which included a seperate bar and pool. I enjoyed having the ability to get away from the main beach but I heard it was not worth the price. Our room was nice, no problems, except the walls were very thin. We were watching TV at 4pm in the afternoon and received a complaint from the front desk that we were too loud. Which is ridiculous. The service to the room was great, the same woman cleaned our room everyday and once paid her a couple extra $ to iron my husbands shirt!
Beach:
The beach got VERY crowded on the weekends. It was hard to find chairs and a good spot. Also, there is NO music on the beach. We brought the hotel radio down to the beach and plugged it into an outlet on the beach. We had vendors enjoying it too! Alas, we "got in trouble" by the security. We were forced to turn it off b/c in the past people have complained of the noise. Are you seeing a theme here?
Restaurants:
The food was mostly good. The Mexican place was OK but did have salsa?! It did have ceviche which I couldnt even find in Mexico. The Italian place was nice, you have to dress up. The food was good. The French place be prepared to wait. The food wasn't bad, but it wasn't anything exciting either. We ate in 2-3 hours. The seafood place was also good, but I saw on several reviews not to eat the lobster bisque and heard that from several guests. The "Applebees" type place wasnt bad. Steaks were good but had a lot of garlic. Thats fine with me but some may not like it. I booked the trip through Apple which had a banquet the night of our wedding which was nice. It was a customer appreciation dinner but I got to pretend it was my wedding. The food there was very good. THe Japanese place was good but they changed it the day after we left so I cannot speak for it now. The sushi was good and those that type of food scaares...the buffet is right next door and you can bring the plate back to the Japanese restaturant. The best was the buffet. Lots of food, many choices, and it included the liquor. Each night was themed and had different foods but there were some staples throughout the week. Oh yeah, free room service, except tip. THAT WAS GREAT!
Drinks:
If you can handle your alcohol, I recommend the Mamajuana. Its really good, strong but ONLY drink it on the resort. Off of I hear it can be scary. Also, if you are allergic to bananas (like I am) or coconuts (my friend was) beware of the Bahama Mama, Pina Colada, type blender drinks. They are included and we both had reactions, not severe, but still. Avoid the pool bar unless drinking beer. The bartenders couldnt mix a drink if their life depended on it. I physically showed him what I wanted and he had directions on the sheet and still came back with a drink a completely different color. The dance club wasn't bad, but it was hard to get a drink. Music wasnt bad.
Excursions:
I went on the Sonoma Island retreat which was a lot off fun. A jet boat ride to another island, spend the day there, eat, massages, and a show, then a catamaran trip back. I had fun. We wanted to do the four-wheeling trip but ran out of time. I heard the dolphin swim isnt worth it $200 for 7 minutes with a dolphin.
Spa:
The spa was nice. Before you book anything hang out for a couple days, they have "specials" all the time. We got a two for one massage. Plus they did my hair for the wedding and did an excellent job.
Staff:
The Apple reps were great and supportive, no haggling. The wedding coordinator was greta too but I wasnt very demanding. It was a very liad back wedding.
Overall it wasn't great or horrible. I had fun and I was on a beach in 85 degree weather.
**As in every vacation you must take into account the culture. I am from Chicago, and very fast paced. The DR is slow and laid back. Reservations etc. also are slow. I do not relate it to bad service more culturally relaxed, which is the whole reason for going in the first place!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
7  Thank AJJessie
Reviewed April 6, 2009

Loved It! Beautiful grounds, well kept & modern. All the staff work very hard offering top notch service. Modern, clean rooms. Great location. Recommend hiring a speedboat as it's so much fun. 10-20 minutes from La Romana airport. Huge variety of food which is non stop! 7 restaurants.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank IndigoNorfolkEngland
Reviewed April 3, 2009

This is my second time at a Dreams property, my first being Cancun, Mexico. We were extremely pleased with the Mexican Dreams property and held high expectations for their Dominican Republic sister property. And I am please to report that they have exceeded my expectations. The service was amazing! The location is quiet and serene. Not a place I would recommend for spring breakers, but a wonderful hotel and location for a romantic getaway or a nice family trip. Without trying to repeat too much of the other reviews, here is the breakdown:

ROOMS: Our room was comfortable and spacious. We requested for a king size bed and they gladly obliged. Bed not too soft or firm. They have a flat screen TV in the room as well as a tiny and cozy sitting area. To my surprise, of all the hotels I have stayed in the islands, this is the only hotel that did NOT have that hint of a musky, salty, and moldy smell. I always bring a small bottle of room deodorizer with me for my trips and happy to say I did not even have to use it. Also, the air conditioner is ridiculously strong!!! My boyfriend and I had it on low and were freezing by dawn. Bathroom has the greatest shower with the strongest pressure. We never encountered any problems with temperature fluctuations in the shower. My only little problem with the room is the thin walls. You will hear doors slamming and muffled conversations if your neighbors are a bit loud. Maria Theresa cleaned our room daily and left flowers and extra bottles of water for us. We tipped her a couple of dollars p/day and our room was always immaculate. If you want turn down service, make sure you askfor it otherwise they do not do it.

GROUNDS: clean. You will always find hardworking staff cleaning the grounds.

BEACH: beautiful water, great sand. Some areas quieter than others. If you like entertainment, stay by the volleyball area. Otherwise, if you want to relax in a quieter atmosphere, stay towards the further side pass the palapas. For lunch, they have a buffet on the beach with the best fried chicken. They also provide burgers and such. My favorite, however, was the fruit boat. There, the nice fruit lady will provide you with bananas, oranges, papaya, coconuts, pineapples, etc, etc. The hotel also works with the towel card system and the towel hut is located on the beach right by the pool area. One problem I have with the beach is the amount of beach chairs they lay out. Granted, you never have to reserve a chair in the early hours of dawn; however, the abundance of chairs they provide does ruin the aesthetics of the place and hinder you from walking the beach easily. Aside from that, beach was wonderful. Water a little cold, but the hot weather made it quite welcoming. Water was also very very calm and clear!

POOL: we never stayed in any of the pools. I do remember the water being too cold and not many of the guests were swimming in it.

RESTAURANTS: we only stayed for four nights and wanted to take advantage of as much of the restaurants as possible; hence, we ate at a couple restaurants for dinner in one night. Service was always great. Appetizers left for more to be desired. They were small and not the most appetizing. The entrees were delicious. Definitely have a steak at the Seaside Grill. The escargot and lamb were delicious at Bordeaux. The snapper with balsamic glaze at Portofino was also great. Our favorite restaurants were El Patio (Mexican), Oceana (seafood), and Himitsu (Asian). Oceana had the best smoke salmon and Dorado dish! The house wines are not the best, so you have been warned. The buffet has plenty of choices, but we only ate there for breakfast and to have fruits after our dinners. Here's a tip, the internet cafe next to the lobby has great coffee. But aside from coffee they also have great little sweets (macaroons, truffles, little cupcakes, cookies). So do swing buy and try them.

BARS: the lobby bar was the only one that served the premium drinks. Next to Seaside Grill, there is a bartender there by the name of Braulio. Get to know him and he will take care of you. Try his "1/2 and 1/2." God only knows what was in that drink but it was yummy!

MISCELLANEOUS: before you line up for the immigration at the airport, make sure you purchase the tourist card. Have 10 USD$ p/person ready when you arrive. As soon as you step out, the booth will be to your right side. Once you have retrieved your luggage walk OUTSIDE the airport if you have booked with a transportation company. If you are renting a car, all those companies had booths set up inside the airport. We booked through Coco Tours and had no problem. Took about an hour and 45 minutes from the airport to the hotel. Be warned, the drivers are faster than you are used to here in the States. Also, there is a fishing village in Bayahibe which is a quick 15 minute walk from the hotel on the beach. Not much to see but if you're bored, a nice walk.

Just email me if you have any questions. Dreams is an amazing property with the most wonderful staff. I was not greatly impressed with D.R. from my first trip in Punta Cana a couple of years ago. Thankfully, La Romana changed my mind and glad I stayed at Dreams. And for those wondering, neither my bf nor I became ill during our trip, thankfully (considering we have weak stomachs and we ate sushi and ceviche when we were there). Have fun!

14  Thank vstylin215
Reviewed April 2, 2009

This is what happened to me. I will copy the letter that I sent to the resort manager and to which he or his representatives never answered.

Hello Mr. Estelrich,

Me and my husband were guests from the 9th to the 16th of March this year in the resort that you manage. We enjoyed it very much, we appreciated all the facilities that you offer, the fact that no reservation for restaurants is required and that you do not use bracelets. Very nice!

Yet, we experienced some things during our stay that still make us think about and ask ourselves if we were really wanted there.

I mean, we liked your resort very much but did you appreciate that we were there, no matter who we were?

I am going to name some technical malfunctions but I will mention that those are easy to fix by emphasizing on the technical training of the employees. For example I was checked in a dirty room and the bell boy, instead of calling and getting another room number for me preferred to send me to the front desk with all the bags to get another room, which I refused as I was tired after the flight so I decided to stay in the dirty room, assuming that at some point it will be cleaned.

The shower drain was blocked for more than 24 hours and nobody came (even if I presented myself to the front desk 3 times to report it), until I showed the maintenance attendant a photo of what I am talking about. I did not receive the wake up calls 3 different times. It is sometimes a big problem when the employees do not understand the gravity of a missed wake up call when you have some things planned for the day. With proper emphasize on the training it can be fixed too.

The room had no fire or smoke detector. It was completely removed. Big risk thinking that people drink and smoke and sometimes they drink too much.

All these can be fixed but of course, if they repeat, they affect the quality of the product.

What I still think about and bothers me is the fact that after 4 days spent in the resort, the bar tender that I had already spoken too for quite a while, I even saw photos of his wife from Canada and we joked about how bad it is to live in a cold country, asks me, while ordering 2 beers, if I speak English and if I did, I should know that it would be the last time I would be served as I was not a preferred guest. Even I were he did not even remember me so I doubt he remembered the other guests and that is one of the musts of a hotel employees: remember your clients and make them feel recognized. Imagine how you feel when somebody tells you all of a sudden in a place where you thought you were welcome! I felt embarrassed that the other guests heard what he told me.

I did not have any idea what a preferred guest was because nobody bothered to mention it to me but it was clear to me that I was in a place where I did not deserve to be and somebody did me the favor of tolerating me for once but I should be aware. That is the worst feeling you want to have during a vacation and in life in general.

If I can not afford to be in one place I will not go to window-shop, believe me!

As I did not understand I decided to go and talk to the manager on duty. That evening was Rene. He explained to me that I was checked in a preferred area but that I was not entitled to use the privileges of preferred guests. Once again, he did not define what being preferred meant or how could I become one so I understood that preferred in your resort was something I had not a chance in a lifetime to become, like some sort of royalty.

Yet, I did not ask to be put close to the royalty. I did not want to have a room there but I found it insulting to be told 4 days after being there that I was not allowed to use the pool in front of the building where I was staying nor drink from that bar.

I had 3 days left to spend there and I told Rene that I expected him to find a solution so that I would not feel rejected. He said he was going to discuss the matter with the front desk manager, as other guests complained about the same thing. I was supposed to ask to talk to the front desk manager the next day. Just put yourself in my shoes. I am on my vacation and I waste my time begging people in a place that I chose to be in to accept me and to make me feel welcomed. Of course the front desk manager was too busy to see me when I asked for her, after all, who was I, I was not even a preferred guest. So I waited for Rene to become free for me and it took so long that my husband fell asleep on the sofa.

René’s message was that everything was OK and that the personnel were advised to serve me but I took it as to tolerate me. Of course the personnel had no Idea about what I was talking about, especially once they changed shifts. So I had to go again and see Rene and ask him to write a paper about the agreement.

Do you think walking around in a resort with a paper and always fearing that somebody might decide to ask you to present the black preferred card that you were not entitled to have is a good holiday experience?

I did not want to be placed in an area that I was not entitled to be in. I think I should have been advised from the check in time that the situation is like that and I assure you I would have chosen to wait for a room that I was entitled to have. I should have never known that I was in an area I was not meant to be in. If I was upgraded then I should have had access to all the facilities.

Since then, I keep on asking myself: Do I have to fight to be accepted and wanted in a resort? After all, there are hundreds of resorts I could have chosen and I chose yours due to good comments that I read on Trip advisor.

Will I ever return? Definitely not or not as long as I would not be assured that if I ever return I will be treated as a preferred and really welcomed guest.

Will I recommend it? If I do, I will definitely warn my friends about the danger of being treated as a poor relative of the Preferred.

I considered I had to share these thoughts with you. If you are aware of this and you consider that it I the way you decided your guests should be treated, then I rest my case. Yet, if you want to have people returning to Dreams La Romana or to any other Dreams, Secrets or Zoetry then you should all efforts to win them and keep them.

Regular guests are the ones that really feel at home in a resort. For the reasons that I explained to you, I did not feel at home in your resort.

3  Thank montrecana