“Great all inclusive resort and spa”

Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Bayahibe
GreenLeadersGold level
Tampa, Florida
“Great all inclusive resort and spa”
Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

Stay there for a few days for my niece's wedding. I stayed in room 3119, and it was fabulous. The staff is wonderful and always very attentive to every need. The food selection was great as well as all the restaurants available, all included in the price. I use the gym (free of charge) and for a minimum charge the spa, hair salon and makeup. Would recommend to everyone and will definitely go back. Thank you Dreams resort and spa at La Romana for a great experience.

• Stayed December 2013
1 Thank nescano
Mr J M, Chief Concierge at Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 9, 2014
Trip Advisor response to - nescano

Date of review - 8th January 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Dreams La Romana as your holiday destination and we very much appreciate the time you have taken to post a review of your stay with us.

We are so happy that your stay with us surpassed your expectations and we are so honored that not only would you recommend our resort to others but that you would also love to return, we do hope that happens as it would be a great pleasure to serve you again in the future

Kind regards

Chief Concierge

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,232)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
Bois Colombes, France
Reviewed January 8, 2014

wonderful trip as usual with an entertainment team "excellente". 24 December show was amazing, funny and great at the same time! Really good job, congratulations to the full team included Omega, Jeffrey, Cheyenne and his partner....
New year eve was also fantastic: impressive decoration!
Once again, a big THANK YOU to all of you!
Delphine

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Trip Advisor response to - DelphineF52

Date of review - 8th January 2013

Dear Delphine

Thank you for allowing our beautiful hotel to be your hosts during your vacation, it was a great honor to serve you.

We are so pleased that you enjoyed your stay here at Dreams La Romana once again and we thank you for the loyalty you continue to show our resort, I will certainly pass on your kind comments to our entertainment team who helped make your stay even more enjoyable

We hope to see you again soon!

United Kingdom
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We stayed at Dreams for 8 nights in their Preferred Club (Room #7333) at the beginning of December, 2013. This was our 1st time to the Dominican Republic but our 7th time at an All Inclusive (AI) Resort (we’ve also been to Mexico and Cuba), so we have places to compare to. When we booked this time, we were looking for a resort and experience slightly above what we have had before at resorts such as Bahia Principe, Palladium, and Occidental. We often choose to go the premium route, and paid a little extra money even above that as Dreams seems a step above the other properties I mentioned based on reviews, advertising and promotional photos. What we found was that Dreams was SLIGHTLY better, but we wondered if it was better enough to justify the increase in price.

The first impression of the hotel is a good one. The main lobby seemed quite nice, but the Preferred lobby was impressive having work and relaxation areas inside and out, and snacks and drinks constantly available. The resort is impeccably kept up and decorated nicely. The room is a definite step up from everywhere else we've stayed. We were on the third floor and had vaulted dark wood ceilings which gave the room an airy, elegant feel. The furnishings were beautiful and modern. We found the bed and bedding comfortable (which is not usual in Mexico) and while there is no tub in the bathroom, the double-sized rain shower and bathroom in general were in top shape and spotless. I understand there have been some recent room renovations and it showed in our room. I'm not sure if the renovations are complete in all buildings or if the regular resort rooms will come up to this standard.

The staff is obviously given certain direction in dealing with guests, as we heard "it's my pleasure" and "welcome home" many times during our stay. We found the staff very good in the preferred section and in the restaurants (with one exception in Portofino). The housekeepers and bellman were friendly, the preferred lobby staff were good. And the serving staff in the lobby bar were all great. We were less impressed by the serving staff in the buffet who were great at not seeing you, and the main lobby front desk clerks who were unfriendly and unhelpful every time we wanted to break money into smaller bills. The entertainment staff really earned their money encouraging people to check out shows and reminding them of activities; they were happy and full of energy without being annoying. Over all, the staff gave a slightly better and more consistent level of service than other AIs with a few exceptions.

I know that AI resort food has a mediocre reputation and Dreams really wasn't any different. The buffet was disappointing over and over again. Breakfast was adequate with the basic eggs, bacon, etc., but lunch and dinner was a let-down every time we returned. We most enjoyed the food at Portofino and went back a second time. I can recommend the Saltimbocca ala Romana and the risotto and beef (steak). The second was recommended by a fellow hotel guest and I'm really glad I went back to try it. It was the best meal of our stay by far, and good by any restaurant standard. We also went to the Seaside Grill for dinner and breakfasts and to the Jungle restaurant. They were just okay, but better than the buffet! Room service was available 24 hours which is terrific but the food is probably straight from the buffet and you know my thoughts on that. I almost forgot to mention the pizza by the main pool. This is really good and a treat when you can't face another buffet lunch.

The bars, drinks and bar service were mostly on par with other AIs. The usual tropical cocktails are available and quite tasty. The preferred club has more premium liquor which is nice. There is pool and beach service in preferred club (and I think the whole resort, but not positive on this one). The biggest perk for us was how late all the bars were open, particularly the bar at the preferred club pool. We haven't seen this in any other resort and it was a huge perk for an after dark drink pre-dinner, or a quick nightcap before turning in. The regular bartender was very nice. We didn't hear any noise from this bar in our room (which was very close by), but we did hear our snoring neighbour through the very thin walls. Our solution was to turn on the A/C, but be warned.

The beach was lovely and well maintained. We had problems finding loungers on a couple of days, but the preferred club section saved us on that score. The pier was attractive to look at and to look out from. The snorkelling was amazing, particularly north of the pier and around to the right in front of the preferred section where it was rocky. We saw fish we only see when we SCUBA dive, like drumfish and honeycomb cowfish. If you love seeing fish while snorkelling, like us, please don't feed them (snap your fingers to attract them), wear bio-degradable sunscreen or a shirt, and don't touch/stand on the coral.

The spa was laid out very nice and the steam room was great. The massages were fine and the outdoor hot tub was nice, but we were disappointed there were no jets. If you're looking for hot jetted tubs, you are out of luck at Dreams. The outdoor jetted hot tubs are NOT hot, not even warm, which was a massive disappointment for me. When I researched the property, I got the impression they were hot. We're active on our holidays and there's nothing like a jetted hot tub to ease muscle aches. My only recourse this trip was a massage and that's too time-consuming and pricy to do every day, whereas 15 minutes in a jetted tub each day would have so improved my holiday.

Dreams La Romana had a couple of features we enjoyed that we haven't seen at other resorts. The coffee shop was a nice addition offering some variety from the bars and buffet, with good lattes and treats. We also enjoyed the photo service they offer (hut by the main pool). While not cheap, we were very pleased with the great quality photos they produced, as a lovely souvenir of our stay. You get a copy on disc too.

When we checked in at the Preferred lobby, we were given an offer of coupons, but you have to go see the rep in the main lobby to get this package. This is where we found out about the photo (one free is the offer), and coupons for wine with dining, spa treatments and casino play. Do this early in your stay, so you don't miss out.

The music that was played everywhere in the resort was hilarious by the end of the week. I think they had one box set of covers that they put on repeat for our entire stay. These were strange covers of the Rolling Stones, Guns n Roses, Pink Floyd, U2, Phil Collins, The Cure, and other typical radio hits. If management reads this, I'd strongly suggest mixing in other music, and personally I would have loved to hear some music from the Dominican Republic: merengue and bachata. Admittedly there is live music in the main lobby bar most nights, there is music at the evening shows and there is a group of 3 roving guitar players who visit all the restaurants in the evening, playing requests and appreciative of tips.

To sum all this up, we will consider Dreams properties again in the future (probably Tulum), but will have slightly lower expectations than we did before this trip. If we came back to this area again, and we might because of the SCUBA diving near Bayahibe, we would stay here again if we chose an AI. We loved there were no limitations on how many times you could eat at the restaurants and that we didn't need reservations, and we were so happy we didn't need to wear a resort bracelet! Their daily sheet delivered each night was useful, outlining the next day (entertainment, buffet theme, which restaurants were open, etc.). We would highly recommend spending a little extra on the Preferred Club, as it is very much worth it at this resort for the following: reserved beach area, private lobby and quiet infinity pool with lots of available loungers, the exclusive right to eat breakfast at the Seaside Grill with its table service and amazing waterfront view, premium liquor, quick check-in and check-out, and the lovely staff and rooms.

Final tips: Bring bug spray and use it as soon as it’s dark. Bring plenty of sunscreen/medical supplies to save a fortune. Visit Santo Domingo. Walk south down the beach (10 minutes) and grab a drink or meal in the little fishing village, Bayahibe. If you tip, bring LOTS of small bills (US$). Use Dukoral before you travel.

Room Tip: Building #7 facing the pool and with a partial ocean view was lovely. Request 3rd floor ahead of tim...
7 Thank SteveLis
Mr J M, Chief Concierge at Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 11, 2014
Trip Advisor response to - SteveLis

Date of review - 7th January 2014

Dear Guest.

Thank you for choosing Dreams La Romana as your holiday destination and we appreciate the time you have taken to post a review of your stay with us.

We are so pleased that you were happy with your allocated room and that you enjoyed the benefits of our preferred club.

We are very grateful for all of your feedback, here at our resort we always take on board comments left to us by our much valued guests both positive and otherwise as this is an excellent way of us making improvements in the future

It would be a great pleasure to serve you again in the future

Cambridge
Reviewed January 7, 2014

We went to Dreams for Xmas and New Year and had the most fantastic holiday ever!
We were a little worried as there is the occasional bad report on this Hotel but I have no idea why these people should have anything to complain about! We did upgrade to preferred Club and stayed in rooms 5210 and 5220 and we had beautiful rooms which we could not fault.
Everything about this resort is excellent. So if you are going to Dreams, you will not be sorry!
I can understand why people go back there time and time again, we certainly will be.
Excellente holiday!!

Room Tip: Block 5 are quiet rooms
2 Thank ElizabethCambridge
Trip Advisor response to - ElizabethCambridge

Date of review - 7th January 2014

Dear Elizabeth

We are so pleased you allowed Dreams La Romana to be your hosts during your vacation and we are thankful for the time you have taken to post a review of your stay with us

We are overjoyed that your time here at our wonderful resort exceeded your expectations, and we are thrilled that you are planning on returning, we sincerely hope that happens as it would be a great pleasure to serve you again

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed January 6, 2014

Well, when we first arrived the resort seemed very nice. Grounds were super clean and our room was also very nice.

We arrived on Friday, by Monday morning I could not eat any more food. My stomach was really upset and I could not keep anything down. I am very cautious about washing my hands etc, but something still got me. We travelled in a group of 10 and only two people that did not get ill were my father and my aunt who both refuse to eat uncooked island food.

I then observed one of the hotel managers "Marlen Mena" verbally berate a young tourist and her baby, the mother had taken her young son into the small warm pool which critically upset the Manager. I have never in my life seen such a display from a hotel manager....... I watched a few other tourists record the incident on their phones so I'm sure one can find it on various media sites.

Back on topic, resort was super clean, rooms very clean and tidy, mini fridge was restocked daily, the views from the rooms were very nice and the beach was clean.

The food was mediocre at best, I got food poisoning from some unknown source at the hotel but I tried not to have that ruin my vacation. The italian and french restaurants were really nice but the food was highly over salted and required a lot of water (Bottled) to wash down.

Most of the staff speak very little english, although between english and spanglish one can figure most things out. Management staff speak English very well and Louisa was a godsend for translating and helping us out.

WiFi, most resorts have some sort of a wireless infrastructure in the lobby or what not. However at this resort you must pay MESA internet services a $60 PER DEVICE fee to have unlimited usage. I opted for a $25 plan which gave me 24h of internet connectivity so that I could skype back home. Paying $1600+ for a vacation and then being forced to pay another $60 just to connect to the internet is beyond bizarre for me. The iberostar down the street has free internet , why the Dreams resort does is astounding. Let me repeat this $60 for internet for one device!

Out of pure health concerns I would not return to this resort, I'm not sure if it was the water or the vegetables i ate that made me so ill but on that alone I would be weary of going back.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Kam S
Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed January 6, 2014

The first thing they say as they hand you a glass of champagne and cookies. I have to say, the highlight of this hotel is the staff. Incredibly friendly and although its an All -inclusive and they say tips are included...my group of friends and I still tipped at the restaurants, bars, room service and housekeeping. This gave us even friendlier service with waiters remembering us and ushering us to their sections. If you can, i definitely recommend upgrading to Preferred Rooms. The marble floors and a quieter section, with your own preferred pool and the VIP check in and the preferred lounge for middle of the day snacking. The food was all pretty good...i did notice tobasco sauce is valuable since whenever I asked for it, they would stand over me until i used it then take it right away.

The beach had alot of seaweed i think it was? I noticed the staff would clean it up best they could. We made use of the kayaks which was alot of fun. Took a daytrip to Saona which was out of this world. the view and water loved it. Worst part of the trip...was the Mama Juanas...if you've never had any....be wary and drink like one shot. I've never in my entire life passed out or have been that sick. Yes....never drinking mama juana's again. I was out of commission for all the next day. I did get a massage but a hurricane was coming and the massages took place out doors...i was kinda cold and could not completely relax.

I would def recommend this hotel and I would def. go back again.

Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Mr J M, Chief Concierge at Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Trip Advisor response to - trvlbug74

Date of review - 6th January 2013

Dear Guest,

We are so grateful that you allowed Dreams La Romana to be your hosts whilst on your vacation and we are very thankful for the time you have taken to write a review of your stay at our wonderful resort.

We are delighted to learn that your time with us exceeded your expectations, we are happy you enjoyed the benefits of our preferred club and we are so honored that you recognized the great service you received whilst with us.

We certainly hope we have the pleasure of serving you again in the future

Worthing, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2014

My husband & I staid at Dreams La Romana for 2 weeks over Christmas and to be honest were a little disappointed. We have staid in Mexico twice before and after having such amazing times we had high hopes for some Caribbean heaven in Dominican. Unfortunately the standard was no where near as good.

We arrived in the evening and was greeted with some champagne and had a fairly prompt check in. We then had quite a walk to the furthest point from the lobby to our room in section 7 right on the outskirts of the grounds.

Location
Not a lot going outside the grounds. You would need to get a cab to the next nearest resort. La Romana is actually a 45 minute cab ride from the hotel so I'm not really sure why they named the hotel 'La romana' to be honest?!! Bit misleading!

Room
The room is spacious but dated. The walls could definitely do with a lick of paint and the furniture replacing. We had a large wardrobe but only 5 coat hangers so pretty useless. The bed was comfortable but the decorative pillows smelt musty due to lack of cleaning. The TV was good if you are Spanish! There was a few English channels and one film channel. No bath in the bathroom which I was most put out about as I do enjoy a nice soak time to time. The shower is of good quality though. The bathroom was not the cleanest I have visited and in need of some TLC. Our balcony gave us a view of well, nothing! Just some trees to the side! The worst of the room was the tea & coffee area which was constantly overrun with tiny ants! The fridge was well stocked with bottles of water, cokes, sprites and beer. No alcohol optics though? Maybe we were just spoilt in Mexico but I thought the Caribbean were renowned for well stocked mini bars? My husband was able to enjoy a beer after his shower but all I had was anty tea or a coke?

Grounds
The rest of the hotel was nice but nothing spectacular. The pools were nice, especially the infinity one but very cold. The only heated one was a round Jacuzzi one that fits about 10 adults in maximum. The beach is also nice but nothing to write home about. White sand and palm trees but the sea is always rough and rubbish for snorkelling in. Sun loungers are hard to nab unless you get up early on both the beach and around the pools. They are also of a poor quality - not comfortable at all. The brown towels for guests are truly rancid! They are worn down to the thinnest thread and don't look attractive in the slightest. Not what you expect from a 5* hotel.

Drinks
There are plenty of bars scattered around the resort and depending where you go you will have the same drink made up differently in terms of strength and taste. There is no consistency at all. The selection of cocktails is vast but some were terrible! The mojito (which is usually my favourite) was bitter with no kick to it! More like rum with flat water and mint leaves bobbing around. the strawberry daiquiris and pena coladas are obvious favourites so they have ready made mixtures that probably sit in the machines all day and night. These may have been the cause of my extreme diarrhoea I had for nearly the whole stay - more about that later. The main lobby is nice to have a cocktail in if you are able to endure the dregs of the entertainment and the infestation of mosquitos! Two men on keyboard and saxophone playing the same droney music or a karaoke style singer that sings with a funny accent! The bar near the seaside grill is probably the best one which has a good view over the beach.

Restaurants
I feel I should stress that we are both food lovers but not foodies so we are in no way being snobby when we say the food is bad! the food really is Terrible!! The closest to a decent meal was in the Mexican where the fajita's were very nice. unfortunately due to my stomach upset this wasn't the best type of food to be eating although I would have happily eaten there every night given the alternative.
There are several restaurants to choose from although they take turns to close every other day for lunch and dinner so you need to keep checking the itinerary put through your door each night for the following day.
World café - Revolting! Cold wet sloppy canteen style food. It's saying something if the best thing you ate in there was a bread roll and butter, which is what I ate most lunch times.
Pizza bar - Tasteless pizza which was never baked for long enough so just soggy and bland.
Italian - The steak and risotto was ok but not worth the 1 hour wait!! Slowest service we have ever experienced! I was so close to walking out after it had been 45 minutes since our starter!
Seaside grill - As previously mentioned the view is lovely but that's all! The food is cold and tasteless.
Dominican - down on the beach next to a swamp serving 'goat' - Gave this a miss!
Asian - closed the evening we decided to go.
Burgers on the beach BBQ was probably the only lunch I enjoyed but obviously 14 days on the trot this gets a little tired!

Mosquitos & Sand fleas/mites
OVERUN WITH THEM!! The hotel does it's best with pest control, spraying the resort at night. Obviously the mosquito's cannot be blamed on the hotel but the lack of mosquito nets on the sliding doors could have made a big difference. I'm so glad we are taking the malaria tablets as we both got eaten alive!

Entertainment
We are not really big entertainment fans as it's always a bit naff to be honest! There seemed to be a lot going on with your standard water aerobics, beach volley ball and some silly pool games that were actually quite fun to watch. We did attend one evenings entertainment but left after about 15 minutes once they were getting random men up on the stage and asking stupid questions. It was all a bit cringe worthy. We would have loved to watch one of the cinema films they were playing on the beach but what with the mosquito situation we decided to swerve it.
A couple of nights during our stay there was a market set up around the main pool with people selling jewellery, African looking carvings, paintings and a alcohol stall. We had to walk past the stalls from our room to get to the restaurants and were hounded but each and every single one of them even though we stated we had no money with us! They kept insisting to try the crappy jewellery on and keep it- just bring the money later! I didn't want to be rude but in the end you have to just firmly say NO! We wanted to get some true Domincan rum to bring back so we made the mistake of asking how much. The guy literally wouldn't let us walk away! He wanted $50 for a bottle that was in the onsite shop for $20! Total con artists!

Excursions
The reps on the beach are relentless like the stall keepers! We soon learnt to just say NO!! They will try and sell you anything even when you say you have no interest.
We visited Saona island which ok but not the snorkelling trip it was advertised as! We snorkelled about 10 meters out from the beach at the hotel resort and did none on the island itself? Pointless and the day on the Island dragged as there is nothing to do! Certainly not worth the $45 each!!
The only redeeming factor of this holiday was the trip to Marinarium which was fantastic! We booked it through the Thomas Cook rep onsite for $75 each and had a fantastic day! Drove to Punta Cana and got on a boat to snorkel with huge sting rays and nurse sharks that are enclosed in a section of the sea! We then went starfish hunting where you could see hundreds of them in the conservation park of the sea. A real treat!

Staff
Some staff were ok but the majority begrudgingly served you. The girls round the pool serving drinks never smiled and took ages to bring you whatever you had ordered. The waiters in the restaurants were probably the friendliest. Nobody went out of their way to make us feel our stay was special put it that way.

Spa
I went for one of the promotional massages - 50 minutes deep tissue massage for $50. This was actually very good. very professional staff in the spa and the oils used were nice. I enjoyed the massage and did feel relaxed after.

Christmas celebrations
The resort had various Christmas decorations out and played xmas tunes round the pool running up to Christmas day but there were no exciting celebrations. Christmas eve they went a little more out with the buffet - looked good - still tasted crap and was still cold!

**Sickness**
One of the main reasons we were unable to enjoy our stay was we both had very upset tummies about 4 days into the holiday. As advised by our doctor we were both taking malaria tablets which of course can cause side effects such as stomach upset. However we were fine on the tablets for the two weeks prior to the holiday we were taking them and a couple of days after returning from this resort our symptoms stopped. I can only put our illness down to the food or hygiene of this hotel which was a real disappointment. I would just like to point out that we are still taking the malaria tablets now and are completely fine so there is no doubt in my mind it was caused via poor hygiene or dodgy food from Dreams La Romana!

Overall I cannot recommend this hotel due to poor quality and the fact we were both extremely ill during our stay there. If you are thinking of booking, please reconsider!

Room Tip: Avoid block 7! In fact just avoid altogether!!
1 Thank laura_glenister
Trip Advisor response to - laura_glenister

Date of review - 6th January 2014

Dear Laura,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us of your experience here at Dreams La Romana, it was a great honor to be your hosts during your vacation.

We are very disappointed that you would only rate our wonderful hotel 2 stars and are saddened that your time here did not meet with your expectations.

Please allow me to clarify some points that you made within your review, we are actually located only 20 minutes from La Romana city center not 45 minutes as suggested.

We always endeavor to help with any guests requests or concerns and we would have happily provided you with more coat hangers in your room if you had requested them, we are sorry your room was not as you expected but we appreciate your feedback.

We are sorry that you did not enjoy our cocktail menu or our entertainment in the lobby, our bartenders strive to cater to the needs of our much valued guests as much as possible, it is regrettable that this was not your experience.

Here at our resort our chefs are proud to serve delicious cuisines to our guests, we have 7 a’la carte restaurants as well as our main world café buffet to choose from so it is very disappointing that you did not enjoy our vast food selection.

Our Christmas Eve buffet received excellent reviews not only for the quality of the food we served but for all of the fabulous presentation which our staff worked endlessly to achieve, it is such a shame that you did not appreciate this.

We are very sorry to hear that you were poorly during your stay here at Dreams La Romana, and we certainly hope that you are feeling better now, there are various reasons as to why people can fall poorly during a visit to a different country, difference in the oils food is cooked in, change of climate, not enough water consumption, over indulgence of rich food and alcohol and over exposure to the heat and sun. We are not questioning your opinion, merely pointing out some alternatives.

Once again we appreciate all of your feedback, this is an excellent way if making improvements in the future.

Chief Concierge
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayahibe
Casa de Campo Resort & Villas
Dreams Dominicus La Romana
Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa
Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana
Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana
#14 of 111 in Punta Cana
Now Larimar Punta Cana
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana

Been to Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!