“IMO”

Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Bayahibe
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

Nice mega resort. A lot of people but mostly European holidayers which was nice since I'm American and live for experiences like this. Very safe and family friendly. I feel like I missed out on authenticity in the dr by staying in a mega resort, but with preferred package it is the most cost effective. Snorkeling around the resort there isn't much to see, but I did find me a beautiful and isolated spot to the right wayyyyy past the small dock. Only go if u are a very strong swimmer. The lobster night at the jungle rest was amazing!!!! Give the public beach people a chance and u can find some cool things to bring home. Very fun and would totally go again. The staff was great and I felt very secure as a young blonde American. FYI, the palm hats and blows for sale made out of palm tree leaves will be taken from the agriculture people in us customs which made me sad bc I wanted my mom to have the hat I paid approx $25USD for, she teaches 2nd grade and it would be a great addition to her classroom. So save ur $ and don't buy the palm hats or bowls bc u can't bring them home to the states with u due to he possibility if "palm mites".

• Stayed: August 2013
7  Thank Natalie229
Rudy R, Resident Manager at Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Trip Advisor response to - Natalie229

Dear Natalie,

We are delighted you chose Dreams La Romana to be your hosts while on vacation and we appreciate the time you have taken to write a review of your time with us.

We are very pleased to hear that your time at our wonderful resort met with your expectations, we appreciate all of your wonderful feedback, and we do hope that you return to us again in the future, it would be a great pleasure to serve you once more.

There are newer reviews for Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa

Reviewed August 21, 2013

I just wanted to rave on how excellent concierge was at Dreams. I met some wonderful men there and they were very professional and hard working. Claudio, Jrairo, King, Thomas, and Jhonatan were great people. I had the great pleasure of chatting with Claudio and Jhonatan for a few minutes. These two gentlemen were super funny and super intelligent. I planned a birthday party while I was there and everything was taking care of to my liking. They went above and beyond to assure my family and I were very comfortable. No request was too much for these guys. They would find a way to make your request happen. I even raved to them about how excellent the room service staff was and they actually made sure the department knew how satisfied I was. Jhonatan is extremely personable and deserves great recognition. Jhonatan gives off such a great spirit. He enjoys telling you English to Spanish translations so definitely quiz him. What a stand up person he is. He was such a sweet person. I learned very much about the island and historical facts thanks to this guy. He remembered my name and my the members if my family. He spoke every time we ran across each other and asked if I was happy and if he could do anything to help my stay. Claudio was also an amazing person. He was so jolly and polite. Claudio took the time to know me as a person and not as a guest. He would remember small things I would mention about my family and things that are important to me. I am forever grateful to the concierge staff and hopes the resort continues this trend. Jrairo, King, and Thomas were also so amazing as well. I wish i could have spent More time with them as i did Claudio and Jhonatan, but they also gave off such Positive vibes and also remembered my name and my family. I wish the guys at concierge the best and hope to see them again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Rudy R, Resident Manager at Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Trip Advisor response to - Jenny W

Dear Jenny,

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing Dreams La Romana as your holiday destination, and we thank you kindly for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us.

We are delighted our fantastic concierge team made your stay with us even more enjoyable and we thank you for your wonderful feedback, I will certainly pass your comments on to the staff mentioned, I am sure they will be delighted

we do hope you return in the future as it would be a great pleasure to serve you once again

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Wow! where do I begin, I can't even begin to describe how lovely Dreams La Romana was for our 11 night stay in August 2013. The holiday was our first trip to the Caribbean and it was just me and my boyfriend going.

First: We were greeted upon our arrival with a glass of delicious champagne, a vanilla biscuit and warm smiles. The checking in was simple and the bellboy was very helpful taking our bags to our room.

Our Room: We stayed in Block 7, this was ideal as it was far away from the main pool and entertainment that we didn't hear any noise but close enough that we could walk back during the day if we needed to get something from the room or fancied a siesta. I particularly liked that in each block there is a lot of security, at no point did I feel unsafe.
The room was beautifully presented with towel swans and rose petals (a very nice romantic touch). The bathroom is spacious and our shower was big enough for 3 people, walk in, I suppose a little like a wet room. We enjoyed great garden views from the balcony and a selection of English channels on the television. The maid cleaned the room each day and refilled the minibar, which is inclusive too. I would have liked to have a towel animal each day however this didn't happen, despite tipping - it's not necessary but would have been a wonderful extra. The only criticism was that the walls are quite thin, we were next door to a very loud lady who seemed to always be shouting at her husband for something or other (we felt very sorry for him), I understand this is something that the hotel can't change and when we knocked and asked them to keep the noise down they did.

The pools/beach/facilities: Stunning beach, my boyfriend and I aren't usually beach bums, we normally prefer the poolside but we spent the majority of the holiday on the beach because it was so wonderful. White sand, lots of shade and clear seas. We had the option to loan snorkels or participate in water sports as well which was fab. The beach bar had a wide selection of cocktails and drinks and there was also the option of burgers and hotdogs on the beach, a fruit bar and on saturdays a BBQ party. The beach was very clean, even the beach toilets were spotless and had a designated cleaner. The pools as well were lovely, I particularly liked the swim up bar and right next to the main pool is a teenagers area (including games, Xbox's, pool, snooker, tvs etc) - (not that we went but thought it was a good idea) and the most incredible pizza bar, pizza all day YUMMY! My boyfriend is one of those annoying people who eats every hour and eats a lot but is slim so he enjoyed the all inclusive delicious grub.
There are a wealth of activities to keep you busy, from paid excursions to water polo, from diving to volleyball. There were yoga classes, aqua aerobics etc etc The list goes on. I would recommend the 5 in 1 excursion, by the diving company on the beach, which visits lots of different islands.

Food: Our favourite restaurant was the Dominican Jungle restaurant but there were an abundance to choose from. The main buffet restaurant has food for everyone, even the fussiest eaters would find food there. I really enjoyed breakfast, particularly the cinnamon French toast and pancakes with maple syrup.
My boyfriend is a Coffee addict so he loved the café that the hotel has. It's like a little Starbucks, only you don't have to pay :D I would recommend the brownies and the Café Latte!

Staff: It really is hit and miss with the staff (same as anywhere really) most were lovely, always said hello and couldn't do enough for you. However there were the odd few that were a little grumpy - no biggie, we just chose not to tip them.

Entertainment: We didn't see many shows whilst we were at Dreams, however the Circus show we saw was out of this world! the acrobatics belong on a show like Britain's Got Talent, it was mesmerising! There were lots of shows on, that all looked fantastic.

All I can say is, I would go back in a second. Dreams was so luxurious and well worth the money. It was an unforgettable holiday and I hope if you are going there, your stay is as superb as ours has been.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank katpd2

Trip Advisor response to - pkd2

Dear Guest,

We are delighted you chose Dreams La Romana as your holiday destination and we appreciate the time you have taken to write a review of your stay with us

We are very pleased to hear that your time at our wonderful resort met with your expectations, we are delighted you enjoyed the use of our beach bar, and we are pleased to hear your partner loved our coco café, it certainly is delicious in there!

We hope you return in the future as it would be our pleasure to serve you once again

Reviewed August 20, 2013

My family spent 6 days here in August. Husband, myself and our 14 yr old twins. We booked 2 connecting rooms. The rooms were clean and comfortable. Housekeeping was great, bringing additional towels, soda, etc when requested. Loved the fact that no wristbands were needed! Food was really good and we never had any problems finding something to suit all our tastes. The waitstaff were always attentive as well. The pools and beach were nice and the facilities well kept and there were always staff around cleaning, etc. and willing to answer questions. There are pool tables, video games, foosball, a batting cage and other games for teens and adults alike. The spa was very nice and we enjoyed masages as well. We never felt crowded at all, even though it was August. When we arrived, the travel company failed to put our "vouchers" in our travel paperwork. Though we had receipts, etc, the voucher was needed. The conceirge did not make a big deal about it and was very gracious. We did tip the housekeeper as well as the waitstaff nightly and when we got drinks at the pool or beach. I know it isn't required but all were appreciative. We would DEFINITELY go back.

4  Thank Jennifer M

Trip Advisor response to - Jennifer M

Dear Jennifer,

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing Dreams La Romana as your holiday destination and we appreciate the time you have taken to write a review of your stay with us

We are delighted to hear that your time at our wonderful resort met with your expectations, and we appreciate all of your great feedback.

We are pleased to hear you would love to visit us again, we do hope that happens as it would be our pleasure to be your hosts once more

Reviewed August 20, 2013

I just got back from my vacation (August 2013) and there is so much to share I hope I can fit it all in in a way it makes sense. I would like to cover reservation process, hotel facilities, room types, pools, beach, patrons, and food. Last, I will speak about SCUBA diving.

Reservation Process
A few years ago I stayed here on my honeymoon with my second wife, and we agreed it was a fantastic place to return to with the family. This year we came back with my son, and her family, and it lived up to our expectations. The reservation process, working directly with the website and phone numbers listed in their website, was terrible. They tried to sell me more expensive rates than the ones listed on the website, and I ended up doing my reservations on my own via the website. After I completed my reservation, three weeks before travel, I found the same website offered a lower fare for the same room and dates. I called the phone number asking if I could get the lower rate and the answer was: "No.". Not liking the answer, I called back 30 minutes later, and got another agent who made the change without asking for more money. The reservation process, in my opinion, gets one star.

Hotel Facilities/Amenities
The hotel amenities are very good, but not "luxury unlimited". Two of the three pools are vast and clean, and third one (the Preferred Club) is small but pretty. The gym is small and lacks newer equipment, but will get you with your daily working if you are a fitness buff. There is no elevator in any of the seven room buildings, so be prepared to walk up three flights of stairs if you get a top floor room. To me, this is is a good thing, but not many people like walking as much as I do. The lobby bar is decently stocked and the staff is always in a good mood to provide service, but the liquors and beers are definitely not what I call "luxury". They stock the local beer (Presidente) and some restaurants may have Budweiser. Both (to me, who prefers Stella Artois or Blue Moon as the lowest I'll go) are under my par, so I didn't drink much beer while there. The SPA is very nice, and they provide all the necessary services and amenities to pamper yourself into relaxation. My wife was there and she liked it. Overall, I give the hotel 4 our of 5 for facilities.
Word of caution: if you plan to have internet Wi-Fi access, the hotel was the WORST Wi-Fi I have experienced in 20 years of international travel. This is not important to me, but if it is for you, be prepared to pay for very, very bad WiFi. WiFi is free if you are in the Preferred section, and definitely not worth it if you pay for it.

Room Types
There are four advertised room types: Garden View, Partial Ocean View, Preferred Club Garden View, Preferred Club Partial Ocean View. I chose to get Preferred with Ocean View. They are not joking with the 'partial' part. I was on the third floor of the westernmost building, and I only had a sliver of sea visible from my room. After being here for a total of 9 days, I conclude I would not stay in anything less than the Preferred section, as it includes amenities that are standard in the United States, but charge extra in the Dominican Republic (like internet access). The beds are good for one person, but if you are a married couple (or just a couple) who are used to sleeping together in a Queen or King-Size bed be prepared for tight, stiff full beds. My room had two beds (one for my son, one for my wife and me) and we definitely didn't rest as much at night as we are used to.

The Pools
Preferred Club Pool - accessible only to the Preferred Club patrons, quiet, relaxing, with a small jacuzzi for adults only, no diving allowed, and with a bar 30 feet (10 meters) away from the shallow end. Not recommended for noisy kids, or for people looking for the party scene or to hook up with someone.
Main Pool - big, loud, noisy, with a bar about 40 feet from the pool, and a brick oven pizza snack area next to it. Excellent for the kids and people who want to be in the middle of the action.
Pool with Swim-Up Bar - loud, noisy, with a swim up bar, always crowded, seems to me more for the singles and party-goer crowd.
All of them clean, relaxing, and the best part: reserving any lounge chair is prohibited. First come first serve.

Beach
The beach is accessible next to the main pool and bar-pools. There is no beach exclusive to the Preferred Club, but some lounge chairs are reserved for this crowd (just not water front). The beach is fantastic for beginner swimmers, both children and adults, as the crystal waters and mellow pool-like waves are always pleasant. There is a restaurant on the beach open for lunch for burgers and hot dogs, and a fresh fruit stand.

Patrons
Primarily European and some Americans. This holds true except when Dominican Republic has a local holiday. I happened to be during their independence day (or something that sounded like that) and the hotel flooded with locals. Sad to admit, the ambiance changed for the worse. The local younger crowd comes to drink to excess, and doesn't seem to hold well their liquor, and the local parents don't seem to encourage to teach their young children to respect boundaries and manners. They seem to like the fact they are at the "gringo resort" and plan to take advantage of everything, even at the expense of the tourists.

Fantastic. There are many restaurants to choose from, and none take reservations. The food was fairly decent in all of them, and fantastic on the seafood grill, Italian, and the on-the-beach Lobster buffet. The Lobster buffet is not included in your hotel bill, and you need to make an additional reservations on the days it is offered.

Diving
The resort has right next to it a PADI dive center (Gri Gri Divers) with Dive Masters and Instructors prepared to guide the guests from the most basic (Discover Scuba Diving) to the Advanced Open Water and all other Specialty Courses. It was fantastic to wake up, have breakfast with the family, then walk to the dive center, complete two dives, and then be back in time for lunch. The dive sites are beautiful and varied. I plan to write a separate review for Gri Gri divers with more details.

Conclusion
Definitely coming back with the family, for relaxation and fun. The place is not perfect, and it is not 'unlimited luxury', but it is a great stay. Highly recommended for divers traveling with families and for people looking for a relaxing vacation (except the full-size beds, if you sleep with someone ;-)).

Room Tip: I only recommend Preferred Club rooms. There are on elevators, so pick your room floor before arriva...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank P R F

Trip Advisor response to - P R F

Date of review - 20th August 2013

Dear Guest,

We are honoured that you chose Dreams La Romana as your holiday destination and we thank you kindly for the time you have taken to post a review of your stay with us.

We are sorry you experienced some difficulties with the booking and reservation process, however we are delighted that this did not spoil the rest of your vacation, we thank you for all of your feedback it is very much appreciated.

We are very pleased to learn you would love to return to our resort, it would be our pleasure to serve you once again

Reviewed August 20, 2013

We spent two weeks here in June, having heard good reports from friends and our eldest son. We have had several all-inclusive holidays but this was the best, partly due to the quality of the food and restaurants and the fact you don't have to book, you can just turn up. There is absolutely every facility you can wish for. There is even a casino,nightclub, and a massive theatre. We loved the coffee shop, the circular beds near the chess set, the snorkelling on the nearby reef (although not as good as Red Sea), the catamarans which we took out for an hour every day. The 'bike tour' wasn't brilliant, (not a word of commentary!).There was so much entertainment on offer for those who wanted it. The only thing that spoiled it for us was a group of chavvy Brits who were there for a wedding-(starting with a fight in the airport on arrival!) made us embarrassed to be British. Possibly this destination has become TOO affordable and the quality of some British guests is not appropriate for the quality of the resort. If that applies to you please don't go! Otherwise, this place is simply fantastic!!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank pernodladyleeds

Trip Advisor response to - pernodladyleeds

Date of review - 20th August 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing Dreams La Romana as your holiday destination and we are very grateful for the time you taken to write a review of your time with us,

We are very honoured that you state this was the best all inclusive holiday you have been on, and we are delighted that you enjoyed our delicious food and restaurant selection.

Thank you for all of your feedback, we do hope you return again in the future as it would be a great pleasure to serve you again

Reviewed August 19, 2013

My family of five and another family of five traveled to Dreams La Romana from August 5-12. The six children in our group ranged in age from 10-15 yrs. old.

We had an amazing time and were absolutely blown away by the beauty of the resort and the amazing people who work so hard to make your vacation a "dream".

The rooms are updated beautifully and are kept spotless daily by the hardworking staff. We particularly enjoyed staying on the ground floor as it was very convenient to walk out to the pool from our room.

The pools and beach areas are so beautiful and are kept immaculately clean. The Caribbean Sea is stunning with the most amazing shades of turquoise and perfectly calm, warm waters. My favorite activity was floating on my raft at the beach. Just so relaxing! The kids kept busy jumping on the water trampoline,climbing the iceberg, snorkeling (which is great right off the resort and no extra fee!) and jumping off the giant dock into the water. They also enjoyed a daily snack of fruit from the lady serving it up daily fresh on the beach.

One of the greatest things for a mother of three children was not having to worry about meals, and I was not disappointed in the variety of restaurants! We were able to try every restaurant except Oceana. We were pleased with the menu choices and enjoyed each and every meal. Juan Pierre (Food and beverage manager) was amazing and put together a beautiful dinner in the private wine cellar with a mariachi band for a thirteen year old birthday celebration. The kids could not stop smiling!

This is an amazing resort if you have teens or tweens. If the pools and beach are not enough to keep them busy and engaged there is a teen area with so many activities.The "Core Zone" was their daily hangout! They played ping pong, Foosball, basketball, hit in the batting cages, rode the mechanical bull and flipped on the Euro bungee. They enjoyed meeting other kids their ages from around the globe and the the people who run the "Core Zone" are really great with the kids. My eleven-year old could not stop talking about how nice they were.

Dreams La Romana lived up to and exceeded all expectations! We have so many fabulous memories and hope to return in the near future!

3  Thank Kimber W

Trip Advisor response to - Kimber W

Date of review - 17th August 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for choosing Dreams La Romana as your holiday destination and we appreciate the time you have taken to write a review of your stay with us

We are delighted your time at our resort exceeded your expectations, We are so pleased you enjoyed the use of our pool and beach areas, and we thank you for your great feedback about our restaurants and our vast food selection

We will certainly pass on your kind comments to Juan Pierre who I am sure will be very happy.

We do hope you return to our resort once more as it would be our pleasure to serve you again

Resident Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayahibe
Casa de Campo Resort & Villas
Dreams Dominicus La Romana
Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa
Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus
Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana
Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana
#13 of 112 in Punta Cana
Melia Caribe Tropical

Been to Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!