“Just Dreamy....”

GreenLeadersGold level
Miami, Florida
“Just Dreamy....”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Getting there was a mission as we made the mistake of flying Dutch Antilles...but I'll write a review separately for that. I have been to the DR many times, and stayed at a lot of All Inclusives. I have to say, this was the best one ever. We had an upgraded room in Block 4, and all though we weren't in the "Preferred Club" section, I still felt that I was treated as a "preferred" person. When we arrived, I thought checking in would be a mission, as a wedding party was checking in, but they immiediately noticed I was not with the wedding party and called me over to process me. We were done in under 5 minutes. Imagine after a harried trip, my joy when I walked into a beautiful room that had been decorated with balloons, and rose petals? It really made me feel good! Thank you Isabel!

This beach was gorgeous, you got the best of both worlds.....white powder sand, with crystal clear water, and areas for snorkeling with rocks. I didn't eat in all of the restaurants, but can totally recommend the French and Seafood. Everyone was always extremely curteous and helpful. I really have only good things to say about every experience I had there. Do go see Belkis at the fruit stand by the beach.....you will NOT regret it. The pools were nice, but I preferred the beach. There were plenty of trees and palapas to sit under to avoid the sun. I was really not too bothered by the people selling tours and/or preferred club memberships. Since I spoke the language, I would just say no and they would leave us alone. I could write about every little thing, but there is really too much to say, but all of it positive! So, if you want to go to a nice resort, go here! Enjoy!

Room Tip: Building 4 was right in the middle of everything. The AC was super cold too.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Mayte R
Rudy R, Resident Manager at Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Trip Advisor response to - luv2travel30

Date of review- 29th July 2013

Dear Guest,

On behalf of all staff and management at Dreams La Romana I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing our resort as your holiday destination and we are very grateful that you have spared the time to write a review of your stay wish us.

We are delighted to hear that your time at our wonderful hotel met with your expectations, We appreciate all of your wonderful feedback and we will certainly pass all of your kind comments on to the relevant departments.

We do hope you return in the future as it would be our pleasure to be your hosts once more.

Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,250)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
Reviewed July 28, 2013

just back, stayed preffered club ocean view block 7 . maid Diolemi fantastic thank you. hector made Fab cocktails and the fabulous Belkis made my day with a wonderfull smile at the juice bar and fruit stand it was My Pleasure !!! to meet such lovely people . Louise coley e concierge assisted us throughout our stay and went over and beyond the call of duty when on trip to doctor for a jab !!!
always smiling and willing to help an asset to the resort . lots of fun activities big thanks to Jacob our fitness instructor who is very easy on the eyes !
lots of choice in restaurants but service
slow at Mexican and world cafe when orderingmeal drinks etc all others fine.
preffered room not quite to standard of other dream resorts but have already pointed that out while there.security lacks there and lots of non paying guests abused the club. avoid weekends in resort it is open to locals who push in at bars etc staff let them get away with this.
Jean Pierre would do well in insisting ALL Guests* Must use hand gel or be refused entry to all restaurants. some refused!!!!
we all experienced holiday tummy even son who eats and drinksvery little* just pop*take lots tummy pills with you
Overall a great hol and would not let minor probs stop us from returning *****

• Stayed July 2013
3 Thank boylahols
Rudy R, Resident Manager at Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Trip Advisor response to - boylahols

Date of review - 28th July 2013

Dear Guest,

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing Dreams La Romana as your holiday destination and we appreciate the time you have taken to write a review of your stay with us.

We are very pleased that your time at our wonderful resort met with your expectations, we are so happy that you were impressed with the service you received from our staff, here at Dreams La Romana we pride ourselves on the service we give to our much valued guests so we appreciate that you have recognized that, and we will certainly pass on your kind comments to those mentioned who made your stay even more enjoyable.

We do hope you return to our resort in the future as it would be our pleasure to serve you once again.

Bronx, New York
Reviewed July 27, 2013

The Dreams LaRomana is a very beautiful and clean resort. We stayed in the preferred club area building 7 top level. The Preferred Cub was so nice and always had snacks coffee and drinks ala Erick, Caliste. Everyone in the Preferred club is Great! Our maid was Flor, she did a very good job and supplied us with everything we needed when asked. I tipped her daily and it was well worth it...we tipped everyone.... they deserve it! The food was very good for an all inclusive resort. I thought that the Seaside grill had the best food. I was not impressed by the buffet at all. PEOPLE...use the tongs not your hands......The bars were great and the best bar waitress was Dorka (preferred club). We love Mr. Picasso ......he is so funny and intelligent. He speaks so many languages.....he is a true entertainer! He deserves a raise! I loved water aerobics with Jacob....he is the "Best"....you get some workout and have fun at the same time. He is a great teacher! The Best waiter is Juan from Oceana Restaurant.... He is so attentive and anticipates all of your needs. Cafe was Great for an afternoon cup of coffee and cookie or cake. We did get a touch of the travelers stomach, but we did use a lot of ice and ate lots of fresh fruit. Dreams does need to have more hand sanitizer stations around as well. I did see a few but they were empty. Don't let this deter you from booking this resort because you will miss out on a fantastic vacation. The beauty of the beach and pools alone......

Room Tip: Preferred club building 5 or 7 top level
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank nettey71
Rudy R, Resident Manager at Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 28, 2013
Trip Advisor response to - nettey71

Date of review - 27th July 2013

Dear Guest,

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing Dreams La Romana as your holiday destination and we very much appreciate the time you have taken to write a review of your stay with us,

We are delighted to hear your time at our wonderful resort met with your expectations, we are very pleased that you enjoyed the benefits of our luxurious preferred club and we are very happy that out excellent entertainment team made your stay even more enjoyable.

We do hope you return to our resort in the future as it would be a great pleasure to serve you once again.

Bristol
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Here are a few thoughts from my trip to Dreams La Romana in May 2013.

Trip details:

Length of stay = 2 weeks
4 adults and 1 infant, staying in 2 rooms
Weather – around 30 degrees centigrade in the day. Partly cloudy would best describe the weather with two days of total rain. Didn’t bother us too much as 100% sunshine would have been with a young child.

Hotel in general and grounds

Everywhere was spotlessly clean.
The hotel was not at full occupancy so there was relatively little waiting for service.
The infinity pool was great for young children, owing to the shallow shelf all around the edge of the pool. Shame that the main pool does not have a similar feature.
Management should provide more parasols around the pools.
Extensive, pretty and well kept gardens. Would be good to have more benches dotted around the grounds so one can sit and enjoy the surroundings.
The evening entertainment show was average –lasted for an hour or so.
The hotel should ensure that guests coming back from the disco at 2am are quiet – unfortunately we were disturbed many times during the night.
Wi-Fi should really be included in my opinion - $25 for 25 hours use is verging on excessive.
The hotel became quite busy at the weekends due to an influx of local Dominicans, who were intent on having a good time. Make your own views about this.
I spotted the hotel manager, Rudy Richardson, a number of times around the hotel. I was surprised though of his apparent lack of interaction with the guests. For example, he would take his meals in the buffet restaurant seemingly as far from the paying guests as he could.

Rooms

We were in Block 4. This is probably the closest block to the entertainment areas and therefore the noisiest. I would recommend trying to get in Blocks 3 or 5.
Clean and tidy, good size.
We emailed the hotel and asked for a cot/crib in our room, which was there on arrival.
Good range of TV channels, although not a great signal.
Fumigated weekly for insects.
Aircon effective but only 1 temperature. Thermostat seemed to have little effect.
Could use more drawers to store clothes.
Suggest that management provides a washing line outside to dry clothes.

Food and drink

Coco cafe – nice facility, although the pastries were tasteless. Being super critical, the paper take away cups could have been bigger (estimated 150 ml size).
No booking at the a la carte restaurants. A pager is provided if the restaurant is busy
A la carte restaurants – food generally of an acceptable quality although small portion sizes. That being I didn’t walk away hungry.
Steaks were good in the a la carte restaurants
Desserts let down the food down in general. Tended to be small squares of very sweet cake. Not to my taste.
Nice, relaxing sofas near the Seaside Grill
Weekly lunchtime BBQ on the beach
Main buffet restaurant had a wide range of food
Cartons of UHT milk available on request from the buffet restaurant if you have young children
The cocktails were generally poor. They were prepared with pre-made, overly sweet mixers that look and taste artificial.
Bud sometimes available in lobby bar

Room Tip: Blocks 3 or 5 seemed to be the most quiet
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank matt20uk
Trip Advisor response to - Matt20uk

Date of review - 27th July 2013

Dear Matt,

We are pleased to hear that certain aspects of your time with us met with your expectations, we are happy you were satisfied with your allocated room and we are grateful for your kind comments regarding our immaculate grounds.

We are disappointed that other areas failed to meet with your expectation, please allow me to clarify some points, our bartenders will be more than happy to make cocktails of your choice made exactly how you what with whatever ingredients you desire, we are sorry this did not reach out to you as expected.

We are currently working towards free wifi, and hope to have this in place soon. However currently there is a charge for those wising to use the wifi, and of course this is optional.

Regarding your comments about interacting with our much valued guests, I do this on a daily basis, in fact the several times you saw me this would have been my intention, meeting people from all over the world is a great part of my job and I like to ensure that everyone's holiday is running smoothly, sometimes I may sit away from guests during visits to our buffet, this is only to ensure I do not intrude on peoples vacation and I give them some privacy during their meal times.

We do thank you for your feedback, and we do hope that one day you return to our resort as it would be our pleasure to serve you once again.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Dreams La Romana was my first all-inclusive vacation and let me just say that if they are all as wonderful as this one, I will be planning many more! We went last September for 6 days. The staff were all polite, welcoming and ready to help you with anything you needed. We stayed in the preferred area, which was worth it IMO as you got a few extras such as a private pool (for preferred guests only), a private bar, larger ocean rooms, free wireless internet, etc. Our room was on the top floor of the preferred block and the ceiling was very high! The grounds and rooms were clean, and very well maintained, and gardens were beautiful! The beach was smaller than what I had thought, but still very beautiful with clear turquoise water and white sand. Dreams La Romana had a great selection of different restaurants with various cuisines of food such as Mexican, Italian, American, Asian and a World Buffet with a mix of all. The food was definitely different than North American food, but that was expected coming into a different country. It was by no means bad though, and we did not get sick. The chicken was a bit undercooked and the gnocci at the Italian restaurant had a funny after taste, but I really had no other complaints. The Seaside Cafe was our favourite! They also have small snacks by the main pool of pizza and hot dogs in the afternoons, which we took advantage of. They do not skimp out on drinks, and add large amounts of alcohol, contrary to what we had heard about all-inclusive drinks being watered down. Overall it was a fantastic vacation and we would definitely consider coming back!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Katlily
Trip Advisor response to - Katlily

Date of review - July 26th 2013

Dear Guest,

We are delighted that your time at our resort met with your expectations, we are so pleased you enjoyed the benefits of our wonderful preferred club, and we are so pleased you would consider returning,

We do hope this happens as it would be our pleasure to serve you once again

Wallington, New Jersey
Reviewed July 26, 2013

It was my first time traveling out of the USA and all I have to say is that I am already planning my next vacation!! Dreams was AMAZING! We will be back in the future. Greeted with champagne while the bellman took care of all our luggage. We stayed in building 4, it is the closest to the main pool and not to far from the infinity pool/swimup bar pool. The rooms were clean and spacious the balcony is a great addition. Our room had full view of the main pool and partial ocean view. The beaches are gorgeous, alot of lounge chairs. Everyday on the beach the Barefoot Grill serves burgers and hotdogs. There is a bar right on the beach serving some great drinks, my favorite was the Miami Vice with Blanco Brugal. Waitresses also come around to everyone taking drink orders which is very nice. On certain days a photographer walks the beach with an animal (parrots, or a monkey) to take pictures with people. Pictures are 15USD. Swim up bar was fun the staff was very friendly and fun. I suggest to pack a raft with you, alot of people were using them. Gift shop sold rafts but were pretty pricey. Restaurants were good portions were pretty small, so order an extra plate. Seaside Grill, Portofino and Oceana were my favorite restaurants. Seaside grill does a fantastic lunch! Down at the end of the beach there a bunch of little shops with alot of souvenirs at cheaper prices than the resort. We did snorkerling and kayaking so much fun! Fresh fruit is available everyday cut fresh right on the beach. Dreams offers so many activities such as ocean water aerobics, zumba on the beach, bocce ball, ping pong & nightly entertainment by the main pool. Casino and nightclub are also a fantastic addition for nightlife. We also booked the VIP Saona Island trip, that was the best day out of the whole vacation!! Snorkerling, natural swimming pool with starfish, Catalina island to see where the Atlantic met the Carribbean Sea, stopped at a sandbar in the middle of the sea, a delicious lunch on Saona Island and finally a catamaran ride back with plently of drinks!! The only downfall were the pillows in the room very flat, so be sure to call for extra! Other than that I've had the best time at Dreams and was very depressed to come back to NJ!

Room Tip: Building 4 or 3 is best (closer to pools and beach)
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Rebecca S
Rudy R, Resident Manager at Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Trip Advisor response too - Rebecca S

Date of review - 26th July 2013

Dear Rebecca,

We are delighted to hear that your time at our wonderful resort met with your expectations, we are very grateful for all of your wonderful feedback and are so pleased to hear that you will return in the future, we do hope that happens as it would be our pleasure to serve you once again.

Reviewed July 25, 2013

Joshua L 7/13 posting has provided the most accurate review, 100% follow his advise! I stayed for a week and share the same exact feelings as Joshua. Just go to the beach, enjoy the resort and do nothing for a week, don't waste your time with anything else! The resort is beautiful, food is average, service was also average. Some of the employees are nice and attentive but not all. We basically kept to ourselves and enjoyed being at the beach relaxing, but after five days was dying to come back home. We decided to skip all of the tours because of the reviews, which was a smart move. The preferred area?? There is nothing exclusive about it, don't waste your $$$. Overall, I had a great vacation because I was with good company on a beautiful beach and not working for 7 days, not because the resort offered anything special other than being on beautiful grounds. I would not stay there again, but if you want to experience it just go for 4 days, no need for more, I can't even fathom how some people were staying for two weeks!

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Hans77777
Trip Advisor review to -Hans77777

Date of review - 25th July 2013

Dear Guest,

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing Dreams La Romana as your holiday destination and we appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your stay with us.

We are disappointed to learn your time with us did not meet with your expectations, please allow me to clarify some points, our resort can be as fun packed or as quiet as you want it to be, each guest wants something different from their vacation, we have an entertainment programme that starts at 9am every day and lasts throughout the day, We are sorry this did not reach out to you as expected.

We have a lot of guests at our resort who stay with us for up to 1 full month at a time and they have a wonderful time with us, as stated above each guest has different expectations.

We thank you for pointing out any issues you had whilst with us, this can only help us make improvements in the future should we feel it necessary.

Resident Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayahibe
Casa de Campo Resort & Villas
Dreams Dominicus La Romana
Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa
Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana
Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana
#13 of 112 in Punta Cana
Now Larimar Punta Cana
Grand Bahia Principe La Romana

Been to Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!