Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa
  • Breakfast included
Dominicus Beach(Punta Cana)
  • Pool
12,346 results
All reviewsseaside grillworld cafepreferred clubpreferred poolmain pooleddie murphypablo picassofruit boatjungle restaurantinfinity poololio restaurantswim up barbutler serviceentertainment teamglass of champagnela romanacoffee shop
Reviewed June 10, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Dreams La Romana from May 18th - May 24th and had a great time. The resort is very large but we didn't mind, I actually enjoyed the bigger resort. Our room could've used a few updates but was clean and overall very nice. We stayed in buidling 5. I liked the beach, I wish the water was a bit more clear but overall it was very enjoyable. If you walk down the beach you'll actually come to a public beach and a little town which is very cool, we checked it out and we felt safe, so definitely do walk down and check it out. We never had a problem finding beach chairs. We only got in the pools once, I come for the beach, not the pool, I can get into a pool at my home. We got in the jacuzzi once and it was cold, I wasn't happy about that. We did two excursions, one to snorkel and visit Catalina Island the other was the buggy tour, I highly recommend both. We did the half day trip, we don't like to go all day and really enjoyed them both. Bring snacks in your backpack if you do the buggy trip, you go through some very poor parts and the children will ask for food and are appreciative of whatever you give them! The entertainment staff was great, we enjoyed the shows in the theater. We also saw an acrobat show and magic show by the pool, both were great. The resort casino was nice as well. The drinks could've been better, I never was able to get a decent margarita. The problem with the drinks was they were either WAY too strong or WAY to weak, also different bars carry diffferent alcohol. I had a hard time finding bacardi and smirnoff, which aren't even high end. The veranda bar and lobby bar did have them. The pool and beach bars didn't, they have the local brands which aren't that great. The food was typical of an all inclusive resort, some good, some not so good. We always loved our room service. Their catch of the day was always fantastic. My husband loved the chicken BLT, and we did room service pretty much everyday for breakfast. We were always pleased. I also was a fan of the Seaside grill, the Chicken Flutes are delicious! The only restaurant I wouldn't recommend was Oceana, I'm from Maryland so I know good seafood, and this was not it! The lobster bisque looked at tasted like fishy river water in a bowl. They rotate what restaurants are open which was kind of a bummer, we never got to eat at El Patio or The Jungle, which was dissapointing. I loved the cafe in the resort, it was nice to stop in and get an iced coffee or some cookies. Their gift shop was nice as well, I tried to barter with the shops down the beach and they aren't that willing to work with you, save your frustrations and buy in the gift shop, it's the same items for the same price, some are cheaper! The workers we encountered were friendly, no issues there. We did have a couples massage at the spa and we both really enjoyed it, we had coupons so it was affordable. There were few things that really bothered me at the resort. The people booking excursions will harass you EVERYDAY, no matter how many times you tell them no. They will still ask you everyday and make you feel guilty about it. It's very frustrating because they work down by the beach so as your trying to relax, you're constantly being approached. We told them we had booked our excursions through Olympus and they would still bother us, we didn't want to do excursions everyday of our trip afterall! The check in process. We got there at 6pm and our room wasn't ready, are you kidding me?! Check-in is at 3pm. We had an hour and 45 minute drive from Santo Domingo, and had been traveling for a total of 12 hours at this point, we wanted in our room! They wouldn't tell us what was going on either, instead, we stood at the front desk for a good 30 minutes, I wasn't happy about that at all. The restaurant schedule ticked me off too, I wanted to eat at The Jungle since it was supposed to be Dominican food and it was only open one day we were there (we didn't know this at the time) so we never got to eat there. We also had to wait for a table almost every night and it took a long time to get our food, sometimes up to an hour. Lastly, my husband got sick the night before we left, he had to travel all the next day very ill. After 3 days of constantly going to the bathroom he had to go to the doctor, the antibiotic prescribed didn't help, after another 3 days he had to go back and get a medication that treats parasites, after 2 days on this medication he finally showed improvement. He spent a good week in the bathroom after our trip and another couple we met there had the same problem, however it started during their vacation. We've been to Mexico and nothing like this happened. He doesn't drink much so we know it wasn't anything to do with alcohol. He ate A LOT of fruit while we were there and I kept telling him to be careful because we all know they wash their fruits and veggies in their water, do you really think they're washing it with bottled?? He said his fish didn't taste right at the Japanese restaurant the night before we left, I still think it was the fruit. We'll never know what caused it, but based on other reviews I definitely think there's something going on at this resort. We stayed at the Dreams Puerto Aventuras with no such issues. We liked the resort enough that we would go back except we are worried about getting sick on day 1 or 2 of our trip which would totally ruin the vacation. So we're not sure if we would return or not.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Melanie W
Rudy R, General Manager at Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Trip Advisor response to - Melanie W

Date of review - 10th June 2013

Dear Melanie,

May we take this opportunity to thank you for choosing Dreams La Romana as your holiday destination and we appreciate the time you have taken to write a review of your stay with us.

We are very pleased to hear that certain aspects of your time at our wonderful resort met with your expectations, we are happy that you enjoyed our beach area and we are delighted that our entertainment team and the shows they present made your stay more enjoyable.

However we are very disappointed to learn that other aspects of your time with us failed to meet your expectations, we are sorry you had a negative experience with the staff who sell excursions, we have them in our resort as a convenience to our much valued guests, usually a simple "no thank you" will suffice, however we are sorry if this was not your experience.

Lastly, we are very sorry to hear your husband got sick during his time here, and we certainly hope he is feeling better now, allow me to clarify that food hygiene and preparation is top of our list of priorities and we endeavor to prepare and deliver our food to the highest possible standard, there are lots of reasons people fall ill during their time in a different country, differences in the oils food is cooked in, over exposure to the heat and sun, over indulgence of food and alcohol and drinking coconut based drinks which are known to be a natural laxative.

Again, we send your husband our best wishes and hope he is feeling better now.

We do hope you would consider returning to our resort in the future as it would be our pleasure to serve you once more.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

We just got back from our trip to Dreams La Romana and I feel compelled to write a review about our stay there. We wanted to take a girls vacation (myslef, my mother and my sister) and after seeing the great price of this resort booked our trip. The resort itself is beautiful and impeccably cared for. The beach is white sand and clear clear blue water. The pools are nice and there it is so big you can do something different everyday.The best part about this whole resort though is the staff. I have never been anywhere where the people working there made me feel more at home. The entertainers come around all day and night getting you involved making sure you are having a wonderful time! They are always getting you to dance, do water aerobics or just make you laugh. Their shows (although cheesy at times) are great fun and the dancers are incredible. I would go back here mainly because of all of them! The staff also will do anything to make you happy, even open up a bar at 3am to continue your night of partying. I cant say one bad thing about the people working there!

My only gripe is how far away it is form the airport. We booked through cheap Caribbean and unfortunately were only given the chance to fly into Santo Domingo. It took us 2 and a half hours to get there the day we arrived and an hour and a half on the day we left. Best to fly into La Romana or even Punta Cana which is only 40 mins away. If I return I will not book through cheap Caribbean again.

The food is just okay, best food was to be had at the daytime BBQ at the Jungle (Amazing pork!!) and buffet or the asian restaurant.

If you get a massage-- and you should-- request Martha, she is amazing!!!

Thank you so much for such a great vacation Dreams La Romana, especially Pablo Piccaso, Jacob and the rest of the staff!!

Room Tip: If you can, upgrade to the preferred club, it is much quieter and you get alot more amenities.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Kat3923
Rudy R, General Manager at Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Trip Advisor response to - Kat3923

Date of review - 10th June 2013

Dear Guest,

May we take this opportunity to thank you for choosing Dreams La Romana as your holiday destination and we very much appreciate the time you have taken to write a review of your stay with us.

We are delighted to hear that your time at our wonderful resort exceeded your expectations, We are so pleased that our excellent entertainment team made your stay with us even more enjoyable and we will certainly pass on your kind comments.

We hope you return to our resort in the future as it would be our pleasure to serve you once again

Reviewed June 9, 2013

The hotel was nice and I had a good time but there are two big things that need improvement. First, there needs to be new, comfortable, loungers on the beach. They are old and not comfy so those need to be upgraded. The main lobby bar lies about what is really in the bottles. For instance they say we are drinking Jose Cuervo but really it is some different, fake tequilla. They are serving fake, not truthful drinks. The bottle might be a certain brand but it is not what is inside. The food was OK.

• Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank svietaboris
Rudy R, General Manager at Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 10, 2013

Trip Advisor response to - svietaboris

Date of review - 9th June 2013

Dear Guest,

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing Dreams La Romana as your holiday destination and we appreciate the time you have taken to write a review of your stay with us.

We are very pleased to hear that you had a good time at our wonderful resort. however we apologize that our sun loungers at our beach area did not meet with your expectations. we do not usually receive negative feedback regarding this issue, but we appreciate your comments.

Also, please allow me to clarify, we do not serve fake drinks to our much valued guests, here at Dreams La Romana we offer branded drinks and local branded drinks for our guests to enjoy, we certainly do not put different drinks inside of bottles, we are sorry you felt this way.

We do hope you would consider returning to our resort in the future as it would be our pleasure to serve you once again.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Myself and my wife had a great holiday at Dreams last week. The location was great and the beach whilst small was big enough whilst we were there. The food was above average to good in the restaurants with the Bordeaux scoring the highest and the Oceana the lowest (never again). The World Cafe was great for breakfast but outside of that I would leave it be. Our primary reason for taking this holiday was to getaway and relax, because of that we took the preferred option and with that got free wifi and the private pool and lounge of course.... Had our best experience in the Preferred Lounge with great service (Erick) and drinks etc... But worst experiences were at some of the other bars especially the Rendezvous-Vous bar where service was hit and miss and the quality of the drinks poor also service at the Himitsu restaurant was shocking.

Overall I would definitely recommend Dreams La Romana to other's but only if they take the preferred option.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 9, 2013

My anniversary vacation at Dreams La Romana in May 2013 was absolutely wonderful and magical thanks to our Apple Vacations concierge Kenia Ramirez. She took excellent care of us and helped us organize our party in the restaurants. Additionally, she made sure that we received excellent room service. I would gladly recommend her to anyone who stays at Dreams La Romana in the future and I look forward to my next vacation there.

Roma & Anna

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Roma G

Trip Advisor response to - Roma G

Date of review - 9th June 2013

Dear Guest,

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing Dreams La Romana as your holiday destination and we thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us.

We are so pleased to hear your time at our wonderful resort met with your expectations, and we will certainly pass on your kind comments to Kenia, who helped make your stay with us even more enjoyable.

We do hope you return to our resort in the future as it would be our pleasure to serve you once again