“Urlaub 2013- Dreams la Romana”

Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Bayahibe
GreenLeadersGold level
Munich, Germany
“Urlaub 2013- Dreams la Romana”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I was there with my family three days ago and it was the best holiday we ever had. We spent there 2 Weeks and we will never forget this time! We had a nice time, because everything about this Hotel was so wonderful! Every day there were this different shows and we laughed a lot ! The Entertainment group made a great Job and I loved how they danced ! Especially the show "Remember the Time" was very very good ! The whole Personal is so nice to everybody and the food was quit OK. The Hotel has a wonderful beach and you can also dive a lot! The rooms are also nice, but we booked one room for four persons , so it was a little bit to small :) One day , the had a buffet at the pool and it was very nice ! Also the Beachparty was very funny , but only one hour.. If you want to know more about my holiday there, you can right me at Facebook.--> https://www.facebook.com/annabell.kl?ref=tn_tnmn

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,281)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first

Me and my husband went to Dreams in January 2013,
upgraded for Preferred Oceanview Suite, and let me tell you - it was worth it.
It gives you access to preferred section - lounge, free wi-fi, bars, pools.
You could get any premium alcohol at the preferred lounge, have Hors d'oeuvres any time of the day.
Beautiful hotel, the grounds are manicured, lot's of plants, trees, flowers
Spa is really nice, very relaxing
Food is good at the buffet, there is always plenty of food and you can find what to eat
Japanese a la carte- not so much,
Never made it to mexican , italian or French
Seaside grill was good, Oceana - so so.
The Jungle is a nice setting, on the beach in the trees, sort of resembles the authentic dominican places on the beach. food was not bad, altough not authentic - real thing is deep fried fish with tostones.
Staff is really nice, they try to make your stay enjoyable, our maid was super nice, always left us some treats in the room
Coffee place has really good coffee, and tea as well.
The beach is amazing, its small but the water is to die for!!
There are no bracelets in the hotel.
There is small fish town , you can walk on the beach, there are a few restaurants there, we didnt end up trying them, but next time we will
The shows were nice, they really try hard!
Every day there was something going on at the beach, one day they were making meat stew on open fire, husband said it tasted really good, next day they were making sangria on the beach, and one day there was a guy cutting up fresh fruit and you could take away a fruit plate - yummy!!
There was a martini party on the dock for the preffered guests one day, where you could try different martinis, and enjoy appetizers.
We will definitely be going back for the New Years, really enjoyed our stay.
P.S The only thing that was a bit annoying is the pigeons on under the roof - woke up at 6 am from a strange noise, could not figure out where it was coming from, then I saw that there is a whole family of them up there. Brought it up to the managements attention when leaving - hopefully they took care of it.

Room Tip: if you can - go for prefferred but better to book it at the preffered section, not at reception, the...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AriSHaRus
Boca Raton
Reviewed May 30, 2013

As our car pulled up to the hotel, we were given a glass of champagne to start of our vacation. And it just got better. The room was beautiful and we had a view of the pool with the swim up bar and the ocean. The staff was extremely friendly and went out of their way to please us. I LOVE the 24/7 room service at no extra charge! The property wove it's way around the three pools and a jacuzzi with a beautiful layout. I especially loved the infinity pool with the swim up bar. There were ledges around the pool, just deep enough to place your chaise lounge in for more sun. The beaches were raked and kept clean daily.
They had an old boat that was painted and fitted with a refrigerator so fresh fruit could be stored then sliced before your eyes for a lovely afternoon treat. They had a grill shack on the beach for afternoon hot dogs and hamburgers and smelled delicious, even if you were not hungry.
The World Cafe was the buffet and offered a tremendous food selection. The food was very good when we were there. We also ate at the French restaurant, the Italian restaurant and the Oceania grill on the beach. The food was fantastic.
They even had little tables on the docks or in a private gazebo for a slight fee for the ultimate in romance.
We went on a day trip to the island of Saona which was great fun and did horseback riding which took us to a fresh water pool in a cave where we were able to take a refreshing dip.
At night they provided their version of a Vegas show and a Cirque show. I have seen the real deal and while the real productions are more elaborate, the shows they put on were fantastic. They did so much on a budget and I was impressed with the dancing, the acrobatic and fire show . Take a look at the pictures and you will see how it would be easy to fall in love with the the DR, and this property (and your sweetheart all over again).

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
New York
Reviewed May 30, 2013

Just returned from Dreams last night after a 4 night stay and would have to say overall - a much enjoyed quick getaway. I would consider my boyfriend & I avid travelers as we have been to many places (7 in last 2 yrs) - and this was our 2nd trip to the Dominican Republic. I'll cut right to the chase... it is what you make of it. We come from NY so we know great food - we also know that what we get at an all-inlcusive resort will never be comparable - so we have very low expectations. With that being said - we did not go hungry. 4 nights at the resort so out of 4 dinners... our #1 dinner pick - Portofino (italian) followed by Seaside Grill in a close 2nd, French restaurant in 3rd, and finally Mexican takes the #4 spot. Let's be honest - their ketchup doesn't taste the same as ours so really - how can one think that the food will taste just like home. That is not being realistic. But it can be - if you want to pay $5000 and don't go all inclusive. The risotto at Portofino was my favorite and the jerk chicken at the Seaside Grill was delicious. Egg white omelettes every morning at the Seaside Grill with warm croissants was the perfect way to start our day. If you want to be safe and fill your belly - spaghetti with pomodoro sauce is a good go to... I ordered it from room service one late afternoon while getting ready for dinner. It's offered at Seaside Grill during lunch too. My boyfriend and I upgraded to the preferred club upon arrival which I was a little skeptical about at first - but in the end - we are happy with our choice to do so. Best part about preferred - the preferred lounge - where you can find real top shelf alcohol right at your finger tips... bottles of Jack Daniels, Smirnoff, Stoli, Malibu, Jose Cuervo, Molly's Irish Cream and bottled beer. All there for you to pour at your pleasure - so you can make them good and stiff. Also served there are afternoon hors d'oeuvre which we thought was a nice touch and fun for a quick snack option. Room - here is where we were a little disappointed. Only because the last resort we vacationed at in the DR we also upgraded to the preferred club and with the upgrade we received what we would consider an upgraded room - meaning it had a living room with a nice big wet bar and a couch with a coffee table separate from the bedroom. We were in building 5 on the 3rd floor at Dreams and the room was nothing special. Also - beware - of the raging woodpeckers. No need to set an alarm - the banging begins about 6am and continues throughout the morning. It was definitely an experience. Had I not read about that prior to leaving - I would have been utterly confused at what the noise was. I suggest requesting a room on the 1st or 2nd floor to avoid the peckers!!! Now on to the pools & beach. 3 pools - one with a swim up bar and one for preferred guests only. All huge and well maintained. Finding a lounger by the pool also was not an issue. Beach - is lacking in my opinion. It's very narrow and so many loungers so you def get the feeling that you are on top of one another - which I am not a fan of. The preferred members only beach had nicer loungers and much more distance between but it was a little further away from easy access to the ocean. Ocean was super calm and warm but not as clear as other places I have been. Most of our time was spent at the preferred pool. It's quiet and mostly all adults and was close to our room. Can't comment on the shows as we did not see one. Staff - definitely a language barrier and most were not overly friendly. Felt like they were kind of just going through the motions. Beware of the time share saga - VIP Concierge doesn't understand "no thank you." They did hound a bit which caused my boyfriend to have to get a little rude. All and all - this resort satisfied our needs and on the last day - I did not want to leave. Would I go back - no - but not because I didn't enjoy my stay. I would not return because there are endless resorts and islands out there that I would love to experience. Quick side note - We flew into SDQ because it offered the best flight times - but keep in mind - it's a 1 hr 45 min ride to the resort. Plenty of time to take a nap before the fun begins!

Room Tip: 1st or 2nd floor to avoid the woodpeckers - as they go at it EARLY.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Knighty016
New York
Reviewed May 30, 2013

This is one of the best beaches we've been to so far in the Caribbeans . Beaches in La Romana are much calmer and clearer than other parts of DR first of all. The food, service, rooms are overall pretty good. You should not expect excellent in most all-inclusive places unless you are willing to spend a fortune so bear that in mind. But for an all-inclusive, food and variety is pretty good.
2 hr drive from SD airport is fun, too, this is the only time we got to see the poor and exotic neighborhood. Do not plan to leave the resort ever, not much to see around anyway.
If you're looking for a relaxing vacation; beach, sun, food and drink.. this is the place.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Deniz I
Rudy R, General Manager at Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Trip Advisor response to - DenizAyIsler

Date of review - 30th May 2013

Dear Guest,

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing Dreams La Romana as your holiday destination and we appreciate the time you have taken to write a review of your stay with us.

We are very pleased to hear that your time at our wonderful resort met with your expectations and we thank you kindly for all of your positive feedback.

We do hope you return to our resort in the future as it will be our pleasure to serve you once again.

kind regards

Rudy Richardson

Resident Manager
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 30, 2013 via mobile

Let me start my review by telling you exactly what happened during my stay at this hotel! I noticed that "select" guests were greeted with sparkling champagne while other guests were not offered anything. When I first arrived, I was not greeted by anyone. I was not offered any champagne until the front desk employee heard me complaining about the preferential treatment.

Most of the workers were discriminating, sarcastic and rude! The rudest was Nilo. It seemed like the managers knew he was like that; coincidentally, he was working at the front desk. While checking in, he left midway through our conversation and left us with an agent-in-training who gave us false information. He put us in the preferred guests building (building 5) and told us that we were allowed to use ALL of the amenities. When we spoke with another manager, he told us that we had to pay an additional$60 per night per room to access these amenities. We arrived at 4:37-- well beyond the 3pm check-in mark-- yet our room was not ready. Nilo told us it was not a big deal because our room would be ready in 15 minutes. Why offer a 3pm check-in if our room was not ready?

Nilo then told us that our room was "over there." He did not give us any directions. We had to flag down a bellboy to tell us exactly how to get to our room.

At check-in, they gave me a king-size bed for two adult males to share and their response was "well we don't ask you what your relationship is to each other and it [was my] responsibility to tell [them] that [we] needed separate beds." We did not want to continue arguing, so we left it alone.

When we got to our room, we waited outside of the room because the housekeeper was mopping the floor. The rooms are very nice, clean and comfortable! However, this is NO WAY a four or five star hotel! There are many mosquitoes in your room so make sure to bring bug repellent. I also got a note under the door that they were going to fumigate yet no one told us why. All I know is that we had to be out of the room by 9 AM.

On a different day, I ordered room service and I never received my order! I was offered a complimentary bottle of champagne which I never received! Room service told us they never had any in stock anyway!

When I went to guest services to tell them about my experiences, they offered me things, but never complied with their promise. I basically had to beg them to do their job. They asked me what I wanted from them. I didn't ask them for anything and did not expect anything from them! They offered!

Furthermore, when we arrived, there were 3 blackouts and no one said anything to you. The fire alarm also went off at 5am and no one said anything. It went off for about half an hour. The hotel did not even apologize or give an explanation. I tried to call all three of the front desk numbers and no one picked up. What if there were a real emergency?

There are a few positive things about this hotel. You do not have to make reservations to go to any of the restaurants and the food was decent. My family also loved their Sammy Sosa drink- a drink of various frozen daiquiris mixed with alcohol. That should be their signature drink! Jhonathan in the Food Services department was extremely pleasant and had a positive attitude. When eating at the Asian restaurant, Jhonathan gave us recommendations on dining options.

However on a negative note, they need to drastically improve their customer service! To anyone considering going to the eastern part of this country I strongly recommend that you save your money go to Punta Cana! This saddened me to see this negativity especially being from this country! The bartenders were extremely rude and it took 30 minutes to get a drink! They kept forgetting my drink orders. The excursion employees chase you around the pool area and hound you on overpriced excursions. For instance, the pool bar served people who arrived 10 minutes after I did first.

As a suggestion, bring your own bag for your laundry. They charge 40 US dollars if you take theirs.

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank yuyi23
Rudy R, General Manager at Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Trip Advisor response to - yuyi23

Date of review - 30th May 2013

Dear Guest,

May we take this opportunity to thank you for choosing Dreams La Romana as your holiday destination and we appreciate the time you have taken to write a review of your stay with us.

We are very disappointed to hear that your time at our wonderful resort did not meet with your expectations, here at Dreams La Romana we strive to give our much valued guests excellent customer service, we apologize unreservedly if this was not your experience.

Please allow me to clarify some points, when guests arrive to our main reception area, to welcome them into our hotel and to make them feel at home we offer champagne, we do not discriminate against anyone and we treat all of our guests as equals, I can only presume that you were not offered champagne as a genuine oversight by the server. I can assure you this would not have been a deliberate act.

We are sorry your check in did not go as smoothly as you would have liked, you are right in stating our check in time is 3pm and we apologize your room was not ready, and we thank you for bringing this to our attention.

We are very sorry you thought our staff were rude and sarcastic, we usually get excellent feedback regarding our staff and much of the repeat guests we have at our resort return because of the wonderful staff they have met, so this surprises and disappoints us.

Here at Dreams La Romana we take on board all comments our guests leave with us, positive and otherwise, and again we do apologize that you had a negative experience with us, however we appreciate you bringing all of your issues to our attention, this can only help us to make improvements in the future should we feel it necessary.

kind regards

Rudy Richardson

Resident Manager
Freeport, New York
Reviewed May 30, 2013

I needed an escape for a long weekend and La Romana fit the bill. Make sure you fly into La Romana and not Santo Domingo. Otherwise, in addition to the flight, you'll be driving for quite a while (1.5-2 hours depending on construction and traffic). La Romana is a beautiful hide away and the swimming absolutely perfect. While there are two large pools, I never strayed from the clear, tranquil Caribbean. The rooms are well appointed and comfortable. I took advantage of spa offerings to unwind. The property is vast and you'll get plenty of exercise walking. As for the food, perhaps it's the weakest link. The French restaurant cuisine was delicious, but found the 'seafood' restaurant temporarily closed for a private event. The large International buffet room and neighboring Asian restaurant did disappoint. The casino is small. If you're not concerned with food or gambling, La Romana is paradise found...just ask the flamingos.

Room Tip: Decide how far from restaurants or main lobby you wish to be...you'll get plenty of exercise wal...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayahibe
Casa de Campo Resort & Villas
Dreams Dominicus La Romana
Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa
Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana
Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana
#13 of 112 in Punta Cana
Now Larimar Punta Cana
Melia Caribe Tropical

Been to Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!