“AMAZING RESORT!!!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Athens, GA
“AMAZING RESORT!!!”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

My husband and I accompanied our adult daughter to the Dominican Republic on March 23, 2013. We decided to fly into Santo Domingo direct from Atlanta rather than into Punta Cana because of the stories of the craziness at that airport, even though the drive from PC is a shorter time to Dreams La Romana. The drive from Santo Domingo was a LONG one, around an hour 45 minutes but bearable as we were in a private shuttle van, so we were comfortable with a lot of room. We booked with Delta Vacations Package and got the airfare/hotel/private transportation from airport package which turned out to be a great deal I think. This was the first time that I had done a vacation package plan. I usually book everything separately.
Dreams La Romana is actually near Bayahibe, further from La Romana.
From the moment that we walked into Dreams, we felt very welcomed and taken care of. We upgraded to the Preferred Cub and it was well worth it for us. The separate pool is a plus, however, we stayed on the regular beach as it is much better than the "preferred area" beach. Our first thought was the resort is so beautiful, way more lovely than any photo can show!! We stayed in the honeymoon suite in Building 7 with balcony overlooking the ocean front. They put an extra double bed in the sitting area for my daughter which worked out beautifully. The staff were extremely friendly and accommodating -- we felt truly "taken care of" by so many wonderful people!! This was our first experience with an "all-inclusive" resort. There is food everywhere all the time!!! On the beach, in the Preferred area, at the pools, you will never go hungry here!! The food in the restaurants is not the best ever, but it is fine for a resort, we enjoyed our experiences in each of the restaurants that we tried. The atmospheres in each one was unique and fun. We liked being able to eat a different cuisine each night with no waiting for a table. The buffet restaurant was open for breakfast, lunch and dinner and was filled with so much food -- no matter what kind of diet you eat, you can maintain it here. I am on a low-carb diet and my daughter is on a special diet and we both had tons of stuff to eat.
The beach is not huge but very cute and cozy and has beach ladies delivering drinks. We were in heaven on the beach. The only drawback was that the ocean water was too cold for me, it wasn't freezing, but not warm by any means. I only went into the ocean once and that was enough for me (brrrr!) -- but very warm and relaxing sitting on the beach.
One of my concerns prior to going was the safe in the room situation. I had read about the safes having keys -- but the safe in our room was the regular hotel room safe with a combination lock and I was happy when I saw that. Perhaps that is the kind only in the upgraded rooms, not sure about the safes in the other buildings.
I am a tipper, so I tipped all the servers on the beach and in the restaurants and the porters. They work hard and really appreciate the tips!! I used DR pesos but US money is fine anywhere in the DR. Sometimes, off property, you can only pay for things with US cash money, so be sure to take some of that with you. Example, zip lining photos could only be purchased with only US cash. They would not accept credit or debit cards or DR pesos for them. I had no US cash with me and only could purchase our zip lining photos through the incredible generosity of a US stranger who kindly offered to GIVE me $30 for 3 photos. I accepted his offer and repaid him after returning to the US.
Don't expect the Dreams ATM to have money -- when I was there, it was out for several days and I had to resort to getting cash from the cambio at the hotel which was more costly than an ATM for me.
If you go off property to the little shops down the beach to the left, you will find lots of souvenirs and junk but be warned that the locals will hassle the crap out of you!! It is very annoying trying to look at the stuff in their shops -- you just have to be firm and tell them to let you just look around. This is also the way it is in Bayahibe (5 minute walk down the beach to the left). The shop owners will make you crazy!!! But there is some nice artwork and fun things in their shops if you can stand the badgering. The locals also bring their wares/artwork to Dreams at night once or twice a week, ask when.
WE HAD A WONDERFUL TIME AT DREAMS LA ROMANA!!!! My 26 year old daughter LOVED it so much that she wants us to go back this summer. We'll see -- it WAS pretty awesome!! Hopefully the water would be warmer in July!!!!!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Perrymom
Rudy R, General Manager at Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Trip Advisor response to - Perrymom

Date of review - 29th April 2013

Dear Guest,

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing Dreams La Romana as your holiday destination and we very much appreciate the time you have taken to write a review of your recent stay with us.

We are delighted to hear that your time at our wonderful resort exceeded your expectations. we are pleased to hear you enjoyed the benefits of our luxurious preferred club.

We are also pleased to hear that you enjoyed our extensive food selection and we appreciate your kind comments regarding our customer service and we will certainly pass these comments on to the relevant departments.

We do hope you return to our resort in the future as it would be a pleasure to serve you once again

Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,191)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
Norfolk
Reviewed April 29, 2013

My husband and I have been to the Dreams 3 times now and we are planning our 4th. The reason I am writing this review is because I am some what shocked at some reviews. I understand that everyone is entitled to their opinion but if you cant enjoy the Dreams experience then I am sorry all is lost for you.

The hotel is wonderful and the staff are hard working, kind and friendly. The rooms are comfortable, clean, modern and there is a great stocked mini bar. The bathroom is lovely and the shower has great pressure and lots of hot water. My only small bugbear with the rooms were that the walls were quite thin and you could hear the neighbours come and go.

The food is amazing!!! The choice in the World Cafe is great and caters for everyone. The other restaurants are fabulous, they have great food. Our favourite is the French, followed by the Asian. We love the Seaside Grill for lunch and Daniel and the other waiters are lovely and extremely helpful. We found the drinks great and they are not watered down at all. The cocktails are lovely and there is a vast range to choose from. We like all the bars and the night club is a laugh for a night or two. Jonathan at the lobby bar is lovely and he was such a friend and the other bartenders were great laughs too.

The Dreams staff never stop working hard to make it a special holiday for everyone and I think it is a shame that some people do not appreciate the effort they all go too. They never stop setting up different events around the pool or the beach throughout the day and night. There is always some going on which is great if you want to join in or just relax in the pool and watch. The entertainment team are great and Freddie is a gem, such a nice man. The are not pushy and are genuinely friendly.

The pools and the beach is amazing and we love relaxing in the sea in the afternoon after a hard day, drinking and eating!! We as a family had a tough year and we are going back this year to Dreams because we just want to relax and be pampered, we just want to go back and see the wonderful place that it is.

Room Tip: We liked block 4.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank JuJubee1207
Trip Advisor response to - JuJubee1207

Date of review - 29th April 2013

Dear Guest,

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing Dreams La Romana as your holiday destination and we thank you kindly for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us.

As a repeat guest at our wonderful resort we are delighted that yet again we have exceeded your expectations, and we thank you for your loyalty to our hotel.

We very much appreciate your wonderful feedback and will be sure to pass it on to the relevant departments.

We look forward to you returning as it will be our pleasure to serve you once again.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

I am shocked to read some of the recent reviews from people who were not happy, are you sure you got the name of the hotel right???? There were 19 of us who came and stayed from the uk for my wedding and we each said at the end of the holiday there was not one thing we could fault the hotel for!
The staff were so so friendly and really couldn't do enough for you, it was also my father in laws birthday whilst we were away and they set aside two big tables in the seaside grill with balloons and a cake and it was no trouble at all, you only have to ask they are not mind readers!
There is entertainment from the moment you wake right up until 11pm and it's brilliant!! The evening shows were varied and well choreographed.
Our wedding day was amazing, everything went to plan and Yanna the wedding planner stayed for the whole day to ensure things went smoothly, she must have been wiped out with all the running around she done!
The rooms we all had were stunning, I thought we had been upgraded to begin with, I understand that some of the rooms have been refurbished and some haven't but I saw one of the ones that haven't and it was still a lovely room!
The food was the best I have ever had abroad and we have travelled a lot! Even the world cafe buffet was lush! They had a chef cooking steak or some other meat every night ad lots and lots of choice, the restaurants are very good too! It seemed strange getting a three course meal and not paying! I really felt like a valued customer.
All in all we would return in a heartbeat, maybe for our anniversary!!

• Stayed April 2013
6 Thank MrsNewson
Trip Advisor response to - MrsNewson

Date of review - 28th April 2013

Dear Mrs Newson,

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for not only choosing Dreams La Romana as your holiday destination but also for choosing to hold your wedding day here, that is a great honour for us.

We are delighted to hear that your time at our wonderful resort met with your expectations, we are very pleased that your big day went according to plan and we will certainly pass on your kind comments to Yanna.

We are very pleased that you enjoyed our vast food selection and we appreciate your positive feedback.

We would love it if you were to return on your anniversary as it would be a great pleasure to serve you again.

Quincy
Reviewed April 27, 2013

I had read previous reviews and was prepared to ask for rooms in building 7. We had signed up for "preferred check in” and was "whisked” away to our concierge in building 4. This lady (sorry I failed to get her name) suggested I look at our room that had already been reserved and – if I was not happy with it – she would make other arrangements. We checked in with her and went to look at the room. It was a very good room and we elected to stay there. Even so – she came by the room just to make sure we were happy with it.

I will agree the resort is older than some but better maintained than many I have stayed in. We have traveled to most of the islands and stayed in several of the major resort operators and this one was very good. Or as I was corrected “excellente” (sp)

Our room service was also fantastic and always spotless. The maids always had our room taken care of – the beds turned down – the mini-bars restocked. They do so much that people take for granted but complain when it’s not done.

The staff were all very friendly and attentive.

There was a wide variety of food options available. We ate at a different restaurant every night and enjoyed them all. I was disappointed once that I was not allowed in because of my sandals. They told me they were considered “flip flops” although they were clearly not. No problem – we went to another restaurant and had no problems. The food was always good and the service - the same.

The staff was very good everywhere we went and I think Mr Picasso must be buying in as a partner. His dedication to the resort and the guests was fantastic.
Tell him “John Wayne” said he is “excellente” I would see him there at 8:30 in the morning and at 10:00 at night.

Our only problems were from other guests. Some guests were rude on the beach and the pool – moving loungers right in front of us – at the beach - when we were already very close to the water. The pool also had some people taking other peoples umbrellas when they were not there and moving loungers in from of us so we had to walk out and around the to reach the water. Most mothers raise better families but apparently not throughout the world.

Bottom line – I would go back and would recommend this resort to everyone.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank ttravis49
Trip Advisor response to - ttravis49

Date of review - 27th April

Dear Guest,

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing Dreams La Romana as your holiday destination and we appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your stay with us.

We are very pleased to hear your time at our wonderful resort met with your expectation and we are very happy that the service you received from our staff helped to make your stay with us even more enjoyable.

We are delighted that you enjoyed our vast food selection and we thank you for your positive comments.

Lastly, we are very pleased to hear that not only would you recommend our resort to others but that you would also return. we do hope that happens as it would be our pleasure to serve you once again.

Quincy Illinois
Reviewed April 26, 2013

This is my first review but have travel here before to Dominican Republic. I would recommend this resort to all, and would return here again. Staff went out of there way to be helpful and friendly to all. The food was excellent and a great choice of different styles and tastes. I was very impressed with the maid service every day, and the turning down of the bed at night, I think this part of the resort is over looked by travelers and should be applauded for there great staff. Pool and beach areas are nice and well taken care of. No one will ever find the perfect resort that will please everyone but this resort will not displease all either.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Robert B
Rudy R, General Manager at Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 27, 2013
Trip Advisor response to - Robert B

Date of review - 26th April 2013

Dear Robert,

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing Dreams La Romana as your holiday destination and we thank you kindly for taken the time to write a review of your stay with us.

We delighted that your stay at our wonderful resort exceeded your expectations and we thank you kindly for the positive feedback.

We are very pleased to hear that not only would you recommend our resort to others but that you would also return, we do hope that happens as it would be an absolute pleasure to serve you once again.

Fairfax, Virginia
Reviewed April 26, 2013

I stayed here for a destination wedding and would never chose this place on my own. I would have been embarrassed if I had asked people to pay to stay at this place. The drinks were watered down. The food was awful. I ordered breakfast one morning and thought "i will make this simple and get fruit and scrambled eggs" but they could not even get that right. The fruit was old and the eggs were disgusting so I took one look and threw it out.They were extremely stingy with service, food and drinks. I'm guessing that may be because it is all-inclusive, but have no frame of reference because this was my first all-inclusive resort stay (and most likely the last). The spa was nice with the exception of the salon. Their sanitary practices were pretty much non-existent and they gave pedicures in one of the little $20 foot baths that you get from bed bath and beyond. It was disgusting.The "salon" consisted of two hair curlers and a set of hot rollers, all which looked like they were made in the 80's. Since we were there for a wedding, I went to get my hair done that morning (I was in the wedding party) and ended up washing it and having someone else do it before the event.

I must point out the few positives to be fair:
The event planning seemed to be satisfactory. They took care of the bride's requests for certain things that were planned from afar before the trip. Also the room was clean and also a good size. The bed was not the best, but decent for a hotel bed.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank j v
Date of review - 26th April 2013

Dear Guest,

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing Dreams La Romana as your holiday destination and we thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us.

We are very disappointed to hear that your time at our wonderful resort did not meet with your expectations.

Please let me clarify some of your points, we serve top shelf brands as well as local brands within our resort and I can assure you none of these are watered down. We are sorry if this was your opinion but we can inform you that this was not the case.

We are disappointed and surprised that our vast food selection did not meet with your expectations, I can also clarify that the fruit we prepare and serve is fresh, and as well as our world café buffet we have 7 a'la carte restaurants for our much valued guests to choose from, we are sorry if this did not reach out to you as expected.

We are sorry to hear you did not enjoy the facilities in our spa, we assist a lot of wedding parties with hair and beauty products and usually get excellent feedback, again we are sorry if this was not the experience you had.

We thank you for your feedback, here at Dreams La Romana we take on board all of the feedback our guests leave with us positive and otherwise.

Should you return to our resort in the future it would be our pleasure to serve you once again.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

We stayed at dreams for two weeks and the time flew by. I travelled with my sister had an exellent holiday.

I did find the entertainment staff a real mixture. Some were super friendly and full of energy - wainy for instance, on the go constantly and lots of fun. Then others seemed bored and like they really didn't want to be there. Maria was lovely and helped us feel part of things in a much calmer way than Wainy... We loved them both and they really helped make our holiday special.

Fresh fruit on the beach is like a carribean dream to me- so that was fantastic! And the lady that serves it is so friendly and smiley. She also made the best bannana smoothies at the breakfast buffet.

Food was ok. Hit and miss at the buffet, but if there was nothing we liked at buffet then we tried another restaurant. So not a problem at all. Burgers on beach, fruit on beach, pizza by pool so no need to go hungry and you dont even have to walk more than 2 mins from your sun lounger!!!

Pools were fab. Loved the infinity pool with swim up bar. It tended to get a bit rowdy if there were big groups... I.e for weddings and this did spoil it a bit for us as they seemed to take over the bar.

During our stay there seemed to be alot of weddings which while beautiful and lovely, did mean alot of large groups of people so kind of detracted from the quiet idillicness of
the carribean.

Our room was lovely :) felt very cosey. We had two double beds in block 7. Ground floor with patio leading out on to the gardens. Beautiful.

Bar service was mixed. One guy at the beach bar kept serving Spanish speaking guests before me. He was very frustrating... Once I ordered my drinks, then he served two sets of Spanish speaking guests who had just turned up and had to come back and ask me what I wanted as he'd forgotten. But on the whole bar staff friendly enough and tried very hard to understand me with my little Spanish and English.

Beach was lovely. Could get quite crowded but we didn't mind this. Sea was picture postcard perfect!

The grounds were immaculately kept. They are stunning. Plenty of beautiful flowers and plants. The grounds staff do an amazing job.
Spa was rubbish.
This hotel was lovely, but then we did pay a small fortune to go. For the money I've stayed at better. It seems to have an over inflated ego and I think doesn't belong in thompsons platinum range. It ticks boxes but some elements of staffing, and evening shows let it down.
It is a great hotel, but hypes itself more than it should. Which can in some cases raise guests expectations too high leading to disappointment. But saying that I loved my holiday and just laughed at statements that seemed overinflated.

Market stools come by the main pool once a week so get your haggling skills ready!

I didn't want to leave. Always a good sign!

• Stayed April 2013
4 Thank Skimbles1
Trip Advisor response to - Skimbles1

Date of review - 27th April 2013

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing Dreams La Romana as your holiday destination, and we thank you kindly for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us.

We are very pleased to hear that for the most part your time at our wonderful resort met with your expectations. We are happy that some of our entertainment team made your stay with us even more enjoyable and will certainly pass on your kind comments to those mentioned.

We are also delighted to hear you were pleased with your allocated room and that you enjoyed the use of our pool areas.

However we are disappointed to hear that some of your vacation did not meet with your expectations , we are sorry you experienced some difficulties when attending our bars, we can assure you our bar tenders work extremely hard to ensure our much valued guests do not wait to long before they are served. We are sorry if this did not reach out to you as expected.

Overall, we are very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and we do hope you would consider returning in the future as it would be our pleasure to serve you once again.

Resident Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayahibe
Casa de Campo Resort & Villas
Ocean Blue & Sand
#13 of 25 in Bavaro
4.0 of 5 bubbles 12,866 reviews
Now Larimar Punta Cana

Been to Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!