My husband and I accompanied our adult daughter to the Dominican Republic on March 23, 2013. We decided to fly into Santo Domingo direct from Atlanta rather than into Punta Cana because of the stories of the craziness at that airport, even though the drive from PC is a shorter time to Dreams La Romana. The drive from Santo Domingo was a LONG one, around an hour 45 minutes but bearable as we were in a private shuttle van, so we were comfortable with a lot of room. We booked with Delta Vacations Package and got the airfare/hotel/private transportation from airport package which turned out to be a great deal I think. This was the first time that I had done a vacation package plan. I usually book everything separately.
Dreams La Romana is actually near Bayahibe, further from La Romana.
From the moment that we walked into Dreams, we felt very welcomed and taken care of. We upgraded to the Preferred Cub and it was well worth it for us. The separate pool is a plus, however, we stayed on the regular beach as it is much better than the "preferred area" beach. Our first thought was the resort is so beautiful, way more lovely than any photo can show!! We stayed in the honeymoon suite in Building 7 with balcony overlooking the ocean front. They put an extra double bed in the sitting area for my daughter which worked out beautifully. The staff were extremely friendly and accommodating -- we felt truly "taken care of" by so many wonderful people!! This was our first experience with an "all-inclusive" resort. There is food everywhere all the time!!! On the beach, in the Preferred area, at the pools, you will never go hungry here!! The food in the restaurants is not the best ever, but it is fine for a resort, we enjoyed our experiences in each of the restaurants that we tried. The atmospheres in each one was unique and fun. We liked being able to eat a different cuisine each night with no waiting for a table. The buffet restaurant was open for breakfast, lunch and dinner and was filled with so much food -- no matter what kind of diet you eat, you can maintain it here. I am on a low-carb diet and my daughter is on a special diet and we both had tons of stuff to eat.
The beach is not huge but very cute and cozy and has beach ladies delivering drinks. We were in heaven on the beach. The only drawback was that the ocean water was too cold for me, it wasn't freezing, but not warm by any means. I only went into the ocean once and that was enough for me (brrrr!) -- but very warm and relaxing sitting on the beach.
One of my concerns prior to going was the safe in the room situation. I had read about the safes having keys -- but the safe in our room was the regular hotel room safe with a combination lock and I was happy when I saw that. Perhaps that is the kind only in the upgraded rooms, not sure about the safes in the other buildings.
I am a tipper, so I tipped all the servers on the beach and in the restaurants and the porters. They work hard and really appreciate the tips!! I used DR pesos but US money is fine anywhere in the DR. Sometimes, off property, you can only pay for things with US cash money, so be sure to take some of that with you. Example, zip lining photos could only be purchased with only US cash. They would not accept credit or debit cards or DR pesos for them. I had no US cash with me and only could purchase our zip lining photos through the incredible generosity of a US stranger who kindly offered to GIVE me $30 for 3 photos. I accepted his offer and repaid him after returning to the US.
Don't expect the Dreams ATM to have money -- when I was there, it was out for several days and I had to resort to getting cash from the cambio at the hotel which was more costly than an ATM for me.
If you go off property to the little shops down the beach to the left, you will find lots of souvenirs and junk but be warned that the locals will hassle the crap out of you!! It is very annoying trying to look at the stuff in their shops -- you just have to be firm and tell them to let you just look around. This is also the way it is in Bayahibe (5 minute walk down the beach to the left). The shop owners will make you crazy!!! But there is some nice artwork and fun things in their shops if you can stand the badgering. The locals also bring their wares/artwork to Dreams at night once or twice a week, ask when.
WE HAD A WONDERFUL TIME AT DREAMS LA ROMANA!!!! My 26 year old daughter LOVED it so much that she wants us to go back this summer. We'll see -- it WAS pretty awesome!! Hopefully the water would be warmer in July!!!!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set amidst a world of pristine beaches, lush tropical jungle and turquoise sea on the southeast coast of the Dominican Republic, Dreams La Romana is the perfect resort for singles, couples and families. Unlimited Luxury Enjoy the many amenities of Unlimited-Luxury at Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa, where nearly everything is included. Every gourmet meal, every fine wine and cocktail, and so much more. At Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa, these amenities include: •Elegant accommodations with incredible views •Gourmet dining at eleven specialty restaurants •24-hour room service •Unlimited top-shelf spirits at seven festive bars and lounges •All day and nighttime activities and entertainment •Option to upgrade to Preferred Club privileges •Free WiFi and international calling with Unlimited Connectivity (coming soon) •Full breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks •Unlimited natural fruit juices and soft drinks •Unlimited international and domestic top-shelf spirits •Complimentary mini-bar refreshed daily with soft drinks, juices, bottled water and beer •24-hour room service •Specialty restaurants with no reservations required •Themed parties, oceanfront bars and entertainment venues •Pristine swimming pools •Pool and beach wait service •Endless daytime activities and live nightly entertainment •Explorer's Club for kids with supervised activities •Core Zone Teens Club with teen activities •Fitness center •No wristbands required •All taxes and gratuities Unlimited Top-Shelf Spirits Enjoy international and domestic top-shelf spirits, fine wines and ice-cold beer at any of our seven bars and lounges. Then keep the party going with 24-hour room service and your own complimentary mini-bar. All of your favorite drinks are served without limit or expected gratuities at Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa. World-Class Spa Indulge and invigorate your senses with a day in the Dreams Spa by Pevonia. Spanning more than 21,000 square feet, the on-site spa at Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa offers a la carte treatment options ranging from the traditional to transcendent. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, BookIt.com, Hotwire, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Expedia, TravelUp, Priceline, getaroom.com, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dreams La Romana Bayahibe
- Dreams La Romana Hotel Bayahibe
- Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa Dominican Republic/Bayahibe