“wonderful first time to Dreams La Romana dominican rep”

Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Bayahibe
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed April 3, 2013

we went in January first time and the trip from airport was not too bad 45 minutes. We had arranged a private taxi. We had upgraded to the Club rooms at the hotel and I would 100% recommend these rooms to everyone that likes the extra luxury and quieter areas. We were taken to the club room reception where the staff were fab. Our room was right by the club room swimming pool and the pool was fantastic with a lovely bar just for club room guests all top shelf international drinks but do ask for specifics like smirnoff,gordons etc. We loved the fact that you dont have to go in the morning to the breakfast restaurants and have the club room area where you can have continental breakfast in their exclusive area which is lovely and free internet and it is just lovely sitting there and having champagne anytime of the day or night. Also if you dont want to go to the main areas in the evenings it is lovely just sitting round the pool by the bar and having drinks before going to dinner and it is nice as it is only for club room guests. The rooms are beautiful and spotlessly clean. The rooms are fumigated every week for mossies which is great as they love me. I did take my own fly spray. Had no problems with mossies in room. I would suggest insect repellent in evenings as there are a few around. I only got one bite in the whole two weeks but I made sure I was covered with mossie spray before going out. I took my straightners and they worked perfectly with no convertors but check on the box before taking. The beach was beautiful but only disappointment is the club room area is not on beach and you have to walk down to beach via the normal area to go swim we didnt use the beach much as we enjoyed the pool. There is one restaurant which is only for club room guests for breakfast right on the water and it does cooked or continental breakfast while over looking the sea just fab. We did not realise till we had been there a week it is worth going there breakfast is great. Better than the big buffet breakfast area which is massive. Staff are all just so lovely and helpful no need to tip but if you want to that is great we always tip the person cleaning bedroom when we arrive and we made sure we took dominican peso for tipping. When purchasing anything on credit card it is better to ask them to do it in Dom Peso and not US$ as the exchange rate is much better. Dont buy cigars or cigarettes in the hotel as the guys there are rip off merchants they get it duty free and charge stupid price for cigs cheaper to buy duty free. Night club is great and there is a lovely courtyard area with big beds and speakers so you can sit out under the stars and still hear the music and can smoke out there if you wish. we had a blast. Casino is ok for a bit of fun small but for the gamblers out there it is not like las vegas. French restaurant we found the best and if you like lobster it is well worth doing the special lobster eat as much as you want evening you have to pay for it but it is cheap and the variety of food is superb you sit on the lovely sand area under the stars with lobster cooked on the bbq in front of you and there is so much food , steak, seafoods, salads, chicken etc. We would 100% recommend the Capa Cana catamaran day trip it is just fab with lobster for lunch it is a little expensive but the whole day is luxury you go on this fantastic catamaran and have drinks all day all named brands and dominican rum and party and go snorkelling and you have breakfast and lunch at donald trumps resort on the marina restaurant and then you are taken on coach after lunch to the best beach in the dominican it was breathtaking. here you have more drinks and sunbathe, swim and there is a beach bar for the tour and lots of music. when you are on the boat they take you to this area where you jump off and they have the staff with trays of drinks in the water while you listen to great music and they take videos which you can purchase. It was brilliant. I will do a review on Saona Island tour which we did this is just beautiful but I will go into more detail about it soon. If going to the club area I emailed the hotel before we left and asked for one of the new rooms in the new block I think it was block 5 but you could ask for room by the pool on bottom floor. They are very helpful and will try their best to accommodate. Go to their website dreams la romana and there is contact email. We will be going back again as it is just beautiful and the weather is guaranteed sunshine it was between 28 to 34 every day only rained for about 1 minute on a couple of days whilst we were in the pool. Oh forgot we also hired the private pool with butler and you get breakfast gourmet lunch with special cocktails all to yourself. The pool is right overlooking the water in the club room area just ask the staff to tell you where you can go and look at it. Nobody else can use it we had it from 8.30 to 5pm and it was just lovely if you want a bit of romance it worked out about £90 in total it is a bit of luxury but was worth it. They give you a menu to pick what you want for lunch it is three course and huge. The butler gets all your drinks and brings you champagne as much as you want throughout the day.

Room Tip: club room new block ground floor room by the pool
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank sandra M
Rudy R, General Manager at Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Trip Advisor response to - sandra M

Date of review - 3rd April 2013

Dear Sandra,

May we take this opportunity to thank you for choosing Dreams La Romana as your holiday destination, and we very much appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us.

We are delighted to hear that your time in our wonderful resort exceeded your expectations. We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the benefits of our preferred club.

Your positive feedback is very much appreciated, at Dreams La Romana we endeavor to help our much valued guests have the best vacation possible.

We hope that you return to us once more as it would be our pleasure to serve you again.

There are newer reviews for Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa

Reviewed April 2, 2013

My Wife & I Visited this Hotel between 16/03/13 & 30/03/13 for a 14 Night Holiday. We were Greeted on Arriving at the Hotel with a Glass of Champagne & Our Luggage was left for the Staff to Deliver to Our Room. We were Checked in with great efficiency & were Booked into Building 1, Floor 2, Room 1108 Overlooking the Beautiful well kept Gardens. Our Room Maid was Fanny Francis who did an immaculate job of looking after anything we needed, nothing to much trouble & always a Smile, thankyou.
We had most of Our Meals in the Evening in the International Buffet Resteraunt, were the Food was Variable in Choice, Presented Extremely well & of Good Quality. We were Served with a Smile & with great efficiency, again nothing to much trouble. Just to Name a few who Served us within the 14 Nights were, Billy, Pedro, Jonathan, Hector, Melvin & Johnny plus Others who we give a Great thankyou.
We also Visited some of the Al a Carte Resteraunts, which again produced a Welcoming Smile & Excellent Quisine, thankyou All.
If you fancy a Quiet moment & a Coffee & lite refreshment you should visit the Internet Cafe, were again you will be Greeted with a Smile & Good Service, thankyou.
If you require any type of Maintenance to do with your Room, they have a very efficient Staff who take care of any problem, thankyou.
Entertainment is of the Highest Order & Very Enjoyable, A Big thankyou to All the Entertainment Team.
Every Night whilst on Holiday we had Our Drinks in the Rendezvous Bar, We were always treated with a Big Smile & Great Service. A Big Thankyou goes to the Staff in this Bar, just to Name a few who Served Us Efficiently & made Our Nights so Enjoyable were, Wanda, Zeleidy, Miranda, thankyou once again.
Another mention goes to Belkis the Fruit Boat Lady on the Beach who Serves Delicious Fruit with again a lovely Welcoming Smile.
If we have forgotten anyone regards this Hotel or not mentioned their Name, it is not because we do not want to, but we could not get Everyone`s Name, but Everyone Deserves a Very Big THANKYOU for making Our Holiday the Best we have had in Our Lifetime & We are both Pensioner`s & have Travelled to numerous Places around the World.
How Anyone can Pick Fault with this Hotel with a Lovely Beach & Marvellous Views We do NOT know.
The Management & Staff do Everything to make ANYONE`S HOLIDAY A JOY TO REMEMBER & should be Congratulated on the Magnificent Effort they All put in, We wish them ALL THE SUCCESS IN THE FUTURE, thankyou, John & Jean, ENGLAND.

5  Thank collierMansfield
Rudy R, General Manager at Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

Trip Advisor response to - collierMansfield

Date of review - 2nd April 2013

Dear Guest,

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing Dreams La Romana as your holiday destination and we appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us

We are delighted that your time at our wonderful resort exceeded your expectations, we are very happy to hear that the service from our staff made your stay even more enjoyable and will certainly pass on your positive comments to those mentioned.

We are very pleased that you enjoyed our vast food selection and we appreciate your kind feedback.

We hope you return to our resort in the future as it would be our pleasure to serve you once again.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

I am so sad my holiday is over. Dreams la Romana was everything I wanted it to be and more. Top class facilities, amazing food, relaxing atmosphere, friendly staff, idyllic setting....

Arrival
After a very unpleasant transfer (crazy driver did a U turn and picked up his friends!!!) we arrived at the relaxed, friendly, safe environment of Dreams. Greeted with “welcome home”, a glass of champagne and amazing views I knew we’d made the right choice. Check in was very professional and efficient. Our room wasn’t ready but they took our bags and we went for lunch.

Preferred Club
First of all we did upgrade to the Preferred Club (PC). A lot of people recommended upgrading but I wasn’t that bothered at the time we booked, however when we arrived we decided to upgrade, mainly because my boyfriend wanted to unlimited wifi. Here’s what you get: exclusive PC pool with waitress service, exclusive bar and club house, private area of the beach, larger room with robes, unlimited branded drinks, and more options for breakfast, 24 hour room service and yes unlimited wifi if you really have to be connected to the real world! I’m glad we upgraded, I much prefer the PC pool. The sunbeds are those nice wooden types with comfy toppers that recline to fully flat. The sunbeds at the other pools didn’t – just a minor point but not much fun if you like to lay on your front. The atmosphere around the PC pool was really chilled and relaxed, which suited us. The other pools and the beach had more of lively atmosphere.

I’d heard mixed reviews about the food in the Dominican. Based on my stay at Dreams I can’t understand why! The variety and quality of food was exceptional. There’s 7 restaurants (Dominican, Mexican, Pan Asian, Seafood, Seaside Tex-mex Grill, Italian, French) plus the World Cafe buffet restaurant. I’d pay good money to eat at most of them and can highly recommend the Seafood and Tex-mex Grill. During our stay we ate steak, lobster, paella, a variety of fish, sushi, jerk chicken, rack of lamb, pizza... the list goes on. We ate breakfasts in the buffet restaurant, so much choice and you pass flamingos (actual real life ones) on the way it! There’s everything you’d expect – exotic fruit, fresh juices, pancakes, eggs, cereals, omelettes, sausages etc etc Lunches we ate in the buffet restaurant or the seaside grill and in the evenings we ate at a different restaurant every night. They’re dotted all over the complex – some on the beach, near the pools, inside, outside. They all have different ambiance and decor, you truly feel like you’re in a different place each night. There’s also an amazing starbucks style coffee shop with amazing hot and cold beverages and unlimited cakes and biscuits.

Drinks
I was so impressed with the cocktails – Mohitos, frozen Daquari, Margaritas... all my favourites. There’s so much choice and they’re all well made. Not like in other hotels where they all taste the same. Premium spirits including Jack Daniels, Bombay Sapphire and Disorrano were included in the AI. The wine was good, the beer was good and the champagne/cava was very good. We loved Hector at the PC pool bar, always happy and friendly and makes the best drinks – muchas gracias Hector.

Pools and beaches
I’ve already said a lot about the pools. There’s 3 including the preferred one. The main pool is huge with plenty of sun beds and a Jacuzzi. The second pool is also pretty big with a swim up bar and great views of the beach. All pools are clean and well tended to; the waters are clear and not too cold. The beach was lovely – it is after all the Caribbean! The waters are turquoise and the sands are white. The beach is long but not very deep, it did feel a bit crowded. We stayed at the pool and wandered down to the beach when we fancied a dip in the sea. You can also hire a private pool for the day. It’s gorgeous but the only reason we didn’t was because it wasn’t really private enough. I expected it to be more out of the way but plenty of people could walk past and it didn’t feel that private.

Entertainment
There’s lots going on if you want to get involved. Like I said the mood at the PC pool is very relaxed and laid back. The entertainment team didn’t come to the PC pool and you don’t get pestered to join in. There are lots of activities at the beach and by the main pool. I did Yoga on the beach every morning and tried step aeorobics, which was great fun with Omega but too hot. In the evening, there’s always a show – dance show, magic show etc and they’re pretty good quality but I was disappointed that most of it happened inside. When I’m on holiday I prefer to be outside by the pool or the beach at night, that’s my only criticism. Still there’s plenty to do if you’re not into the show thing. There’s plenty of bars to choose from, as well as a disco and a casino – entry and drinks are included in the AI. Some nights we went to the show, the casino and the disco, other nights we chilled at the lobby bar or the preferred club and sipped ameretto on rocks. Whatever you want, you’ll find it!

Rooms
Wow, we got a great room! It was huge plenty of space to unpack cases for a change. Lots of wardrobe space too. The bed was also huge – I laid across it with my arms and legs stretched out and I still didn’t touch the sides. It had everything we needed - flat screen TV, iron, hair dryer, even an umbrella (which we need once). The bathroom was fabulous and again lots of space – giant walk in shower, big mirrors, good lighting and a selection of products. The room was cleaned daily and kept to a very high standard. We were in block 7.

Transfer
We flew from New York to Santo Domingo airport. The transfer time was 1.5 hours. Punta Canta airport is closer (45 mins) and we’d fly there next time.

Other info and tips

I’m trying to think of what else you’ll want to know ... The weather was glorious. We were there late March. Daytime temperatures were in the early 30s. We had one bad day of clouds and rain but it was still very warm. It was that hot we were actually quite relieved when we got a bit of cloud cover. We didn’t venture out of the complex. On the way from the airport there didn’t seem to be much out there in terms of shops and sights. Walk along the beach and you’ll find a few beach hut shops and the hotel invites a few stall sellers in a couple of times a week selling bracelets, pictures, tshirts – the usual tourist tat. Watch out they can be a bit pushy. If it’s not your thing steer clear of the main pool on those days. Don’t worry about getting Dominican Pesos – they’re hard to come by and everyone over there useS US $. If you smoke, buy your cigarettes in the duty free, they’re $6 a packet in the hotel whereas they were $33 for 200 in the airport.

Photos to follow.

8  Thank agirlinthesun
Rudy R, General Manager at Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

Trip Advisor response to - agirlinthesun

Date of review - 2nd April 2013

Dear Guest,

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing Dreams La Romana as your holiday destination, and we very much appreciate you taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us.

We are delighted to hear that your time in our wonderful resort exceeded your expectations, and we are so pleased to hear you enjoyed the benefits of our luxurious preferred club.

We thank you kindly for all of your wonderful feedback, and we will be sure to pass on your positive comments to the relevant departments.

We do hope you return to our resort in the future as it would be our pleasure to serve you once again.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

When I read some of these negative reviews, I think: it's funny to see how some people just seem to travel to places deliberately looking for even the smallest faults. I normally don't write reviews...as most people, I like reading them, but I figured I'd write one this time.

When I'm on vacation on a tropical island, I care about four things: beach, food, service and relaxation. My other half would have a fifth included: drinks :)
I've been to Dreams before, and I came back knowing exactly what to expect. This was my other half's first time.

Food: We enjoyed their buffets. I can't see how people would complain about the lack of variety or taste, as it was more than decent. We did not have a single bad experience at the a la carte restaurants...on the contrary, we thoroughly enjoyed having dinner at Oceana, Portofino, Himitsu and Bordeaux. Our favorite waiter, Mr. Lappost, who we encountered twice at the a la cartes and at the buffet as well, is what makes this place great...he goes out of his way to make sure you have an absolutely great time and is always going to find a way to make you smile. If management is reading this, they need to make sure they keep people like Mr. Lappost around.

Beach: Unfortunately the beach was not as clear as I've encountered it in the past. I've been to Dreams in the Summer time on previous ocassions, and the water was always crystal clear...to the point where you could see the fish swimming around you. I don't know if it was the time of year, but it was windier than usual, the water was rougher than usual and I guess the waves stirred up the sand to the point where you couldn't see anything. A lot more algea than usual as well. This, of course, is no fault of the resort.

Service: As with previous visits, most of the employees are quite courteous and always greet you with a smile. I've always felt safe and comfortable at this resort, and you can tell that they put work into maintaining their grounds, cleanliness and making your stay a nice one.

Relaxation: This is a 'family friendly' resort. I've travelled there with the kids before, and although we went just the two of us this time, I didn't find myself annoyed by anyone else's kids. Because the beach was not as nice, we hung out by both pools and found quiet areas to just relax. We purposely requested a room in a building that was away from the pools so that the night activities didn't bother us if we wanted to get some sleep.

The hotel itself was not too crouded, though we left just in time to avoid the Easter Holiday crowd. We noticed that A LOT more people came in the day we left.

Drinks: I'm not a big drinker. Give me something cold and fruity and I'm happy. My other half definitely knows more about liquor than I do and he did complain about the fact that drinks were watered down. This was irritating to him and he said he wouldn't want to return due to that fact.

We did the 1 hour horse riding tour, purchased at the resort, which was nice, but WAY overpriced.

We booked a day excursion to Isla Saona through Dominican Quest prior to our arrival. They also arranged our private airport transfers. We were extremely pleased with that company's services and highly recommend them. We felt they were reasonably priced and their customer service was remarkable.

Overall, I'm not sure we'd go back to Dreams again. Not necessarily because of a bad experience, but because we want to try other places. Don't get me wrong...I've been to the Viva (Wyndham/Dominicus) and you would'nt PAY me to go there! Dreams is beautiful, the beach is gorgeous (when clear) and there are always activities and dining options. If you are bringing kids, this place is perfect, as they are always entertained. We just think that it may be a while before we go back to the Bayahibe area. We may end up trying out the Secrets or Zoetry in Punta Cana. We'll see :)

At the end of the day, if you're reading this and are wondering if you should go...you can see that the VAST majority of the reviews are good, and that's obviously for a reason. As long as you know what you are looking for, you should be fine.

10  Thank M1382
Rudy R, General Manager at Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Trip Advisor response to - M1382

Date of review 1st April 2013

Dear Guest,

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing Dream La Romana as your holiday destination and we thank you kindly for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay with us.

We are delighted to hear that your time at our wonderful resort met with your expectations, and we thank you for your positive feedback.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Good location for a week relax and sun bath. Very nice people, good organisation, excellent food, good entertainement. Beach is crouded as everywhere on the island but you do not feel too stressed. If you stay one week you can change restaurant each day. Personnel is extreemely nice and attentive. Overall good place for the money, nothong wrong to reportn they know how to run the business and make you feel confortable. And as they always say, everything is EXCELENTE.

2  Thank cassidian

Trip Advisor response to - cassidian

Date of review - 1st April 2013

Dear Guest,

We would like to take this opportunity to thank you for choosing Dreams La Romana as your holiday destination, we also appreciate you taking time to write a review of your recent stay with us.

We are delighted to hear that your time in our wonderful resort met with your expectations and we thank you for your positive feedback.

We do hope you return to our resort once again in the future as it would be our pleasure to serve you once again.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

This place is not well maintained
Shower floor got quite a lot of stains and the towel rack is rusty. Bed is in good quality - supportive mattress and very smooth bed sheet. Small tv, poor sound quality.

my sis and i found this all inclusive package a problem as
1) food quality is very low, tasted like dorm / canteen food. Very salty, over cooked and its truly a waste of food.
2) drinks - awful. Had a lemonade and the bar tender just poured the lemonade syrup into the cup & added some ice for me.
3) beach is rather crowded - will take some time to find seats, cleaniess is okay but they need to provide more tools for the janitors to clean up the beach cos they are just using hands to pick up garbage.

• Stayed: March 2013
4  Thank Valeriacmy
Rudy R, General Manager at Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Trip Advisor response to - Valeriacmy

Date of review - 31st March 2013

Dear Guest,

May we take this opportunity to thank you for choosing Dreams La Romana as your holiday destination and may we also thank you for taking the time to write a review of your stay with us.

We are very disappointed to hear that your time at our wonderful resort did not fulfill your expectations, please allow me to clarify some points, we are very surprised to hear that you did not think our hotel was well maintained, we have people constantly working through the day and night to keep our standards up to an excellent standard, from gardeners to our staff that clear away the rubbish, we also have an onsite maintenance team on hand to help guests who may experience any issues in their rooms.

We are also very sorry to hear that you did not enjoy our food and drinks selection, as well as our world café buffet we have 6 A'La Carte restaurants this is not to mention the Barefoot Grill on the beach and the pizza snacks by the pool, again we apologize if our vast food selection did not reach out to you as expected.

We thank you kindly for bringing your experience with us to our attention, we take on board all comments our much valued guests leave us, positive and otherwise.

We hope you have an excellent day.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

My husband and I stayed with another couple at Dreams La Romana from March 25-March 30, 2013. The experience FAR exceeded our expectations. Because of the affordability, we thought the hotel would be decent, but not as modern and clean as it was. We stayed in building 5 which had large and updated rooms. The bar and entertainment staff was exceptional, always ensuring our comfort and pleasure. The restaurants were great, and although we went at a busy time, when the resort was filled to capacity, we never waited too long for a table. Throughout the resort we never felt it to be crammed or overcrowded, always finding a chair by the beach or spot at the bars. Our only complaint is that some of the people selling excursions were a little too pushy. But other than that, our vacation was wonderful, and we will surely go back!

3  Thank Amanda S

Trip Advisor response to - Amanda S

Date of review - 31st March 2013

Dear Amanda,

May we take this opportunity to thank you for choosing Dreams La Romana as your holiday destination, we appreciate you taking time out to write a review of your recent stay with us.

We are delighted to hear that your time at our wonderful resort exceeded your expectations, and we thank you kindly for all of your positive feedback.

We hope you return to our resort once again as it would be our pleasure to serve you in the future.

kind regards

Resident Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayahibe
Casa de Campo Resort & Villas
Dreams Dominicus La Romana
Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa
Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus
Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana
Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana
#12 of 112 in Punta Cana
Melia Caribe Tropical

Been to Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!