“Clean beautiful resort but not worth all the money”

Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Bayahibe
GreenLeadersGold level
“Clean beautiful resort but not worth all the money”
Reviewed February 19, 2013

My family and I own a vacation club through Dreams /amstar so we are very familiar with their resorts and amenities , as we have visited 8 of them in past 4 years . When we first arrived, I must say I was very surprised with the overall appearance of the lobby , I heard the resort had went through renovations few years back , It seemed old and outdated , but it was clean so that's my main concern . Our room was nice , wish we would've had ceiling fans but no biggie , now what really concerned me was the lack of service at this resort ... I am of Dominican decent and my husband is Puerto Rican and we speak the language perfectly , but what surprised me is how no matter what language I spoke to them , they always always got my food order wrong , it actually became a joke between my family and I , also if you order room service please do not expect to receive enough silverware , even if you ask for it !!!! The restaurants were fairly good , of course me being Dominican, I really enjoyed Jungles restaurant, and the servers were the sweetest , even though they kept forgetting half our food . The buffet was very disappointing to me , the only tropical fruit they had was passion fruit and pineapple , and no fresh Oj for bfast , except for day 1 of our trip , after that the server admitted they were using concentrate tang like mix , which is surprising to me . I just feel this resort is very misleading with their ratings , yes it's very clean / beautiful grounds but I promise you it is not a 4 or 5 star hotel , and owning a vacation club through Dreams , I know what to expect from them and I promise , had I visited here 1st I would've never purchased the club . I have to say we did meet great employees, like Hector the bartender from the preferred club ! It's simply amazing how he goes above and beyond for his customers ! I just hope Dreams knows what an amazing employee they have in their hands ! Lastly ladies please please if your husband is remotely handsome beware ! These women are like hound dogs !!!!! I guess the thought of a green card is just too much too handle for them ! They would hit on my husband every minute they could , he'd order a drink and the bartenders would ask how they can order him !!!! It got to point where my husband would send me up or go up hand in hand with our daughter to get our drinks, I had one event coordinator calling him "Papi" as she spoke to him , And would not leave him alone to come play water polo even after my husband told her firmly he wasn't interested . I am not the jealous type and most of time my husband and I laughed it off , he is a very handsome man , so can't say I blame them for looking, but its just a respect issue ! We are here with our two small children , my little girl shouldn't have to hear a bartender asking "how she can order a side " of her daddy ! I can honestly say I will never be returning to this Resort, save your money and go to Paradisus Reserve or Paradisus Palma Real , now that's what I call a 4/5 ** resort !!!!

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank SantiagoYJY
Rudy R, General Manager at Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Trip Advisor response too - SantiagoYJY

Date of review - 20th February 2013

Dear SantiagoYJY

Thank you for your recent review of your stay at our resort.

We are sorry to hear your vacation did not meet up to your expectations, Our staff in our restaurants and bar areas work very hard to offer excellent service to our guests, we apologise if this did not reach out to you as expected.
However we are delighted to hear that one of our preferred bar staff gave you excellent service and we will be sure to pass your encouraging comments on to him.

We encourage all of our staff to be friendly to all of our guests and make them feel as welcome as possible. We are sorry if you feel this was in any way inappropriate and I am sure that none of our staff wished to cause you or your family any offence.

We do hope that at some point in the future you and your family do return to our resort as we would love the chance to serve you all again.

Kind regards

Rudy Richardson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,282)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We were @ Dreams from Feb 8-15.
I tried to keep positive thoughts about thisi resort before arriving cause I read some awful comments, but now that we have experienced it I totally agree and understand why the bad reviews!

Property: Georgeous, kept very clean, workers definitely keep the premises clean at all times, has many postivive features.

Rooms: Stay away from building 3, we were on the second floor. Our room was dirty, we were infested with ants, and I know you should expect these kinda things when in carribian but not when they are crawling up your arm while brushing your teeth, or when I would warm up my daughthers milk I left the bottle on the counter of our washroom and when I got back it was full of ants!! Discusting!!!!! Called up front desk, only to get a maid to come a spray our room which did nothing but smell it up, after spraying they never cleaned counters next day, coffee machine was used to boil my daugthers water to heat up milk, the machine was so dirty looked like it was never cleaned, when water boiled smelled like burnt cofee, counter full of dust. We always left great tips thinking this would motivate them to do a better job, we were always short towels in our room, very hard to comminicate with staff!
When we inquired to change rooms they wanted to charge us 800US to move us to the preferred club, they did not want to budge in price, even considering that the NY flight that was supposed to arrive got cancelled which means they had the accomodation, they were not considerate with knowing our issues with a room of ants. We will definitely not be going back to this resort! It wasn't cheap either! Very Disappointed!

Food: Pizza was good, we basically lived off of it, my poor daugther ate that everyday sometimes 2x/day.
The good thing about a la carts is that not reservations needed, you just showed up and waited tops 10 min. This is a great feature.

El Patio: great mexican food, if you like burritos and fajitas, good!

Buffet: never ate there, very poor selection of food, no taste, we only breakfeast there but even that did not taste great, we lived off of toast, yogurt and fruit and even the fruit had no taste!

Seaside Grill: my husband ate steak, I had jerk chicken, they were good.

Portofino Restauant: I'm italian so I can honestly say that food was poor!!!

Bordeaux Rest: adults only - I had a 2yrs old - no kids allowed so we didnt eat there.

Jungle Rest :didnt look pleasing with tables in the sand, looked very messy to eat at with my daugther.

Cafe: great to lounge at drink a nice cappucino accompanied by littel portion of cakes, brownies, cookies, etc.

Shows: Saw the entertainment group put so much effort in setting up the stage every night, great shows, magic shows, mardi gras, valentines, They definetely work hard to set up!!
We didnt get to watch all shows.

Staff: some are friendly and some couldnt care less, One day I was going down the stairsdwith my daugther in the stroller, the gentleman saw me carrying the stroller down the stairs and never offered to help.

Explorers Club: Website says 3-12 yrs old, but on the website in the activity center it shows coloring from ages 2+, when we inquired about that we were told we had to pay 15/hr US for baby sitting (my daugther is 2 1/2 yrs old) told them she was potty trianed but they didnt care, does not say anywhere on the website you have to pay! However we put her in 2 days just so she can interact with other kids. If yours going to charge for something mentioned it on your website!!

Room Tip: Preferred Club is the way to go!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank CeciliaLD
Rudy R, General Manager at Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Trip Advisor response to - CeciliaLD

Date of review - 19th February 2013

Dear CecliliaLD

Thank you for your recent review of your stay at our resort.

We would like to take this opportunity to express our regret that your vacation did not meet with your expectations. We pride ourselves on having immaculate rooms and grounds and are often commended on this, However we understand their were certain aspects of your room that you were unhappy with, and for this we offer our apologies to you and your family.

However despite problems in other areas, we are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed some of our extensive food menu, and that you enjoyed the entertainment programme that our staff work so hard to provide to our guests.

We appreciate your comments and take all of the reviews on board, positive and otherwise, we do hope that you and your family return to our resort as we would love to serve you once again in the future.

Kind regards

Rudy Richardson

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We just got back from our 7 night vacation at Dreams La Romana.

Rooms/Cleaniness:
We stayed in building 5 (prefered club) on the main floor with a patio that walked out onto the preferred pool. It was perfect because we had our 10 month old and it was ideal when he was napping we could still enjoy ourselves by the pool and bar. Our room was cleaned everyday. No complains at all. The room was a very good size and was even spacious with a crib.

Restaurants:
There were so many choices of restaurants we tried almost every one there was. Minus the adults only one and the jungle. My favorite was Oceana's surf and turf and breakfast at seaside grill (prefered club only).

Service:
My husband and i were very surprised by the service we got after reading the bad reviews. Everyone greets with a big smile you when your walking around the resort. The most memorable service i got was from the lady who checked us in at the prefered check-in lounge. I had forgot to bring my ipod for my baby's sleepy music and when i mentioned this to her the first night, she surprised me the next night by making me a spanish sleepy music CD for my baby!!! wow!! This probably made the different in the whole trip because if baby wasn't sleeping, then that would mean that we wouldnt be sleeping either... thank you so very much!!

Facility:
The resort was so nicely kept and cleaned. Throughout the day you would see all kinds of different workers that maintain the resorts. There is also so many things to do there, but we didnt have the chance to go on any tours because of the baby. But next time when he is a little older we will go for sure. The preferred club pool area was great because I found it not so loud and less busy which was perfect for baby. At night they would play nice relaxing music as you walk down the paths. And it was never loud by our room at all!! The bar had an excellent selection of drinks, my husband was drinking Corona's everyday!! My fav was the mojitos!! yum!

Overall:
We will be definetly returning to this resort again. If you are traveling with children and you have the chance, definetly upgrade to the preferred club. The people there are less likely to over drink and that area of the resort is much quieter.

Tip:
Don't forget something at home, because the prices at the resorts is crazy high. I paid 25 usd for 24 diapers the last day of our trip because i didn't want to be short on the flight back. And if you are looking to purchase ciggs, be smart and buy a carton at duty free in your home airport because the prices are super high when you get to resort. We paid 60 usd for a carton of marlboro mentols at the resort and when we got to punta cana airport we paid 30 usd at the duty free.

Room Tip: building 5,6, or 7
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank maria l
Reading, Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We usually prefer smaller resorts, but being fairly large it was maintained to the highest degree 24 hours a day. The service was outstanding around the grounds,in the rooms and at dinner. There is a lot to do including two great claytennis courts-bring your gear.The beach is narrow but long ending in a small town. We also enjoyed the extras of the preferred club which included our own pool,bar, and private space at the beach. We all thought the food was just okay and evening entertainment limited.

Room Tip: take the preferred status
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank baxterboy105
spalding
Reviewed February 18, 2013

We are just about to go to Dreams La Romana for the 5th time and so pleased to be seeing such positive feedback on this wonderful hotel again.. We were concerned by the awful comments some guests were making we ourselves have had fantastic holidays here with everything you could wish for. Please can any one tell us the price of a taxi from the airport now the journey is so shorter.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank malibuSpalding
scotland
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Can't wait to return to our home from home. We decided to have a change last year and visited Mexico instead, oh how we missed this beautiful resort with its friendly staff. Very fond memories of Picasso and Cocacola, hope they are still there. Can't wait !!!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank kaz27
Edmonton, Canada
Reviewed February 17, 2013

My husband and myself,my sister and her husband spend two fabulous weeks at the Dreams this past January. We have been to other parts of the Dominican and the Dreams in La Romana did not disappoint us. The rooms, food and grounds were exceptional and the staff were fantastic! We were taken care of in the five star manner that they advertise, the beach was like icing sugar sand and the ocean was calm and as warm as a bath. We took a few excursions and the staff assisted us with all the information we required. we will certainly be back.

Room Tip: we stayed on the main floor with a patio - much larger than a balcony.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JKing3576
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayahibe
Casa de Campo Resort & Villas
Dreams Dominicus La Romana
Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa
Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana
Dreams Palm Beach Punta Cana
#12 of 112 in Punta Cana
Now Larimar Punta Cana
Melia Caribe Tropical

Been to Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!