We just came back from Dreams La Romana with the group of 22 people. Starting on day 3 of our trip different members of the group, both adults and kids, started to get sick with food poisoning symptoms, the worst of which was abdominal cramps that are still there 3 days after coming back. There are numerous food service problems at the hotel starting with snails attached to salad, to flies on the food, to dirty glasses and stained silverware.
During the stay we complained to the manager of World Cafe about the obvious health code violation problems ( not sure if they follow any health code down there). The answer was always the same- guilty look in their eyes, shrugged shoulders and no apologies.
Two days before leaving, after some of the kids got sick, we complained to the hotel managers Mario Rosseli and Jose Guerrero. All we wanted to hear is their apologies and were very curious if they are going to do anything about it. After listening to our story, we were told that we should have visited the hotel doctor. I replied that I am an internist practicing in the US and my friend who was traveling with us is a PA and we are well aware of the symptoms and treatment of travelers diarrhea. We also told them that any reasonable person would treat themselves with lots of fluids and bland food for couple of days, and that most people would visit a doctor in DR only if they find themselves in a medical emergency. The reply was that they will file a report. There were no apologies offered whatsoever!!!
There are numerous reports of food poisoning in this hotel on tripadvisor and the manager's response is the standard copy and paste answer that this is due to coconut reach drinks which is a natural laxative. As a doctor, I guarantee you that it has nothing to do with coconuts and everything to do with unclean food preparation.
On a positive note, the rooms and beach are nice
Do yourselves a favor and stay away form this place.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set amidst a world of pristine beaches, lush tropical jungle and turquoise sea on the southeast coast of the Dominican Republic, Dreams La Romana is the perfect resort for singles, couples and families. Unlimited Luxury Enjoy the many amenities of Unlimited-Luxury at Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa, where nearly everything is included. Every gourmet meal, every fine wine and cocktail, and so much more. At Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa, these amenities include: •Elegant accommodations with incredible views •Gourmet dining at eleven specialty restaurants •24-hour room service •Unlimited top-shelf spirits at seven festive bars and lounges •All day and nighttime activities and entertainment •Option to upgrade to Preferred Club privileges •Free WiFi and international calling with Unlimited Connectivity (coming soon) •Full breakfast, lunch, dinner and snacks •Unlimited natural fruit juices and soft drinks •Unlimited international and domestic top-shelf spirits •Complimentary mini-bar refreshed daily with soft drinks, juices, bottled water and beer •24-hour room service •Specialty restaurants with no reservations required •Themed parties, oceanfront bars and entertainment venues •Pristine swimming pools •Pool and beach wait service •Endless daytime activities and live nightly entertainment •Explorer's Club for kids with supervised activities •Core Zone Teens Club with teen activities •Fitness center •No wristbands required •All taxes and gratuities Unlimited Top-Shelf Spirits Enjoy international and domestic top-shelf spirits, fine wines and ice-cold beer at any of our seven bars and lounges. Then keep the party going with 24-hour room service and your own complimentary mini-bar. All of your favorite drinks are served without limit or expected gratuities at Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa. World-Class Spa Indulge and invigorate your senses with a day in the Dreams Spa by Pevonia. Spanning more than 21,000 square feet, the on-site spa at Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa offers a la carte treatment options ranging from the traditional to transcendent. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, BookIt.com, Priceline, TravelUp, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Agoda, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Dreams La Romana Bayahibe
- Dreams La Romana Hotel Bayahibe
- Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa Dominican Republic/Bayahibe