“Brilliant fun holiday”

Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Bayahibe
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed November 7, 2012

We have just returned from dreams and had a wonderful time, we went for our belated honeymoon.

We asked for a quiet room but got allocated a room on the ground floor of block 4 directly behind the stage. Quite noisy but it all calmed down by 11.

We met some lovely people and had a brilliant time, the staff were lovely and friendly and the food was gorgeous.

There were a few annoying things like when we went for an afternoon nap and put up the "do not disturb" sign for the chamber maids the front desk would phone asking random questions! Once I told them to please not phone again they let us be.

All in all we had a brilliant time excellent value for money and would definitely recommend it to friends and family.

• Stayed: October 2012

Reviewed November 7, 2012

Stayed at this hotel twice now (which is always a good sign!).

First time in June 2010 in block C (non refurbished room, 2nd floor).
Room was ok, small balcony and décor looking a little tired. But the resort is lovely, with plenty of loungers on the delightful beach (my preference for sun bathing) and of course the calm, tranquil, turquoise Caribbean Sea when the need to cool down arises!

The beach bar is great, with good service and a good range of drinks and cocktails, and the bar in the infinity pool is great for cooling and drinking at the same time, though does get a little raucous late afternoon!

Food choice and quality were (in my opinion) a cut above the usual 4 star AI hotels I’ve stayed at, with plenty of choice and being self serve, you can have as much or as little as you want. Only tried one of the other restaurants and it was ok, but if didn’t use them again, I wouldn’t feel I’ve missed out. Others may disagree.

The entertainment was generally good, which is quite important as there isn’t too much else to do, with Bayhibe being a small and quiet resort. My guess is if you’re after a lively holiday with lots to do and see, you will have by-passed this hotel in the brochure already.

Other than that, the staff were great, the place was clean and tidy (beach included) and it certainly deserves its popularity.

The second time we stayed there was November 2011, which is a better time of the year to visit as the weather was excellent!

This time we upgraded to a Preferred Club room and although the upgrade isn’t cheap, I reckon it's worth it. The rooms were a lot nicer, the range of drinks by the pool and in the PC bar were more extensive and the PC pool was nice and quiet. This meant that I could do some work whilst having a beer and sunbathing! The wi-fi (included with the room upgrade) handily works by the pool so I could even have a Skype conversation with colleagues in the UK from my lounger!

Apart from that, everything else was the same or better than on the previous visit and I’d happily go back there again.

This place was featured in a Sunday Times travel supplement in 2011 as a good value Caribbean beach resort and I’d definitely agree.

Room Tip: Aim for a refurbished room if you're not upgrading to Preferred Club. Email reception and ask fo...
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed November 7, 2012

A little late with review after visiting in April 2012, this was our 3rd visit and this hotel always exceeds our expectations, we upgrade to the Preffered club which we think is worth the extra money we pay, our room 7333 overlooks the PC pool, the room was cleaned daily and the mini bar replenshed daily, the nightly turn down service is good a tidy room/bathroom when you return to go to bed with chocolates on your pillow. We like the PC pool and beach area as they are a lot quiter than the other pools and you can get a sun lounger in the shade, Fecundo (security) and Stephanie(waitress) ensure you are looked after during the day and Hector adds his proffesionalism to the bar in the evening.

Glennis the manager of the PC was on maternity leave while we visited but Romy, Pircosa, Blanca and all the girls looked after us in her absence and ensured we could eat at the restaurant of our choice at a time suitable to us.

We ate in all the restaurants except the Jungle and the food and service was good in them all, our favourite is the seaside grill especially for breakfast.

The only negative is that they was not serving cereals in PC lounge at breakfast and the choice was a little limited and repetitive after 17 days.

Looking forward to our next visit

Room Tip: Block 7 is quiet and top floor rooms have a vaulted ceiling
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dawnieb90
Reviewed November 7, 2012

Me and my boyfriend have just got back from a 2 week holiday from the beautiful dreams la romana.Unfortunately the first couple of days were rainy due to the hurricane sandy passing through, but they put plenty of entertainment on including singers,movies etc. However after the first couple of days the sun came out and you got to see the full beauty of the hotel. The sand was beautiful and white, and once the hurricane had passed the sea became crystal clear. The hygiene in this hotel is extremely high, there are constantly cleaners in the toilets and around the hotel ensuring the high standards are maintained. The food in this hotel is by far the best in any all inclusive we have previously been too. The italian was our favourite doing amazing soups and eggpland parmesean for starters to delicious chicken and mouth watering steak for mains, not fogetting the yummy pofiteroles for dessert, we were such regulars the manager benjamin became to recognse us and allways greeted us with a smile.But other restaurants include mexican, french,seafood,japanese etc and all we really enjoyed. Not fogetting the pizzeria and seaside grill that provided lovely lunches, be prepared to over indulge. The drinks were top brands and ofter had bottled of budweiser on offer, how ever the local beer was also nice. The cocktails were deicious and far too many to choose from. Most evenings we would go to see a show, which were often quite good, i dont know how the entertainment team work the hours they do. characters such as eddie murphy and picasso were so entertaining and spent time to talk to you. we made use of the casino too,which is small but does the job, and the night club always provided a place to go if you wanted a late one. In the days we chose to spend most of our time around the infinity pool, the other pool was more for kids and we're not really beach people (even though it ws amazing) the bar lady indiana provided us with drinks and as soon as your glass was empty she was there with a fresh one for you. if your into getting involved in activities they did allsorts,from yoga, to aerobics, to darts and volley ball, although we prefer just to soak up the sun there was lots going off all the time. there was a games room for the kids wth pool tables, table tennis and playstations, aswell as tennis courts and football pitches. I treat my self to a massage while i was there, and being a beautcian have high expectations, however it was absolutely wonderful, and as an added bonus i got an offer with 30per cent discount and a free hour in the spa. If you want a treatment while your there keep your eye out for the spa staff around the hotel offering discount. Another added bonus was the water activities on offer around the hotel,including kayaks and pedalos which we used and were great fun. The little coffee shop was a lovely touch and offered everything from hot chocolte,to latte and pastries and cakes. We were at dreams for haloween and they made a great effort dressing up and decorating the hotel. We would definately return to this hotel and reccomend it to anybody. if i was to grumble at anything about this hotel it would be to relax the dress code a little at night,i can understand wanting a dress code for the smarter
restaurants, but i dont see why men cant wear sleeveless tops in the world cafe but women can walk about in next to nothing. however this is a small grumble for a nearly perfect holiday.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Lyndsey D
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I travelled to Dreams with my husband and 2 friends in October. I e-mailed the hotel prior to travelling to say that I had stayed when the hotel was Sunscape and asked if we could have adjoining rooms - we were given just what we asked for in Block 3 with a beautiful seaview from the balcony. The hotel was as beautiful as I remembered and couldn't fault anything about it - maybe the food wasnt quite as good as when it was Sunscape but there was always something you could find to eat - the Seaside Grill was brilliant other than that we ate at the World Cafe. The staff were all so helpful and Alexis at the swim-up bar was crazy. All in all we had a brilliant time and will definately be returning.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 5, 2012

we returned yesterday from a 7 night break, we stayed in room 5127 which was great. Transfer from the airport is so much easier now thanks to the new road, it was quick and painless. Check in was quick, took less than 10 mins for our bags to be delivered to us. We arrived just in time for a quick shower and then to dinner. Bar service was mainly good although at times a little slow in the lobby bar and in world cafe. Great service from the guys at the swim up bar, shout out to Alex and Alexis who were very funny as well as good barmen, also Grace (i think) who walked around the pool, she remembered your drinks before you ordered, very friendly and great server. We ate in the chinese (not our favourite) Bordeux (great) wine room (amazing) seaside grill (best rib eye steaks) and the portifino (very good). We never had to wait for a table and ate at different times evey night. Lunch we ate at buffet twice (very good although hot and busy) seaside grill 3 times (great view and good service although can ve very hot if not in the shade). We did not order room service this time, but our friends did and said it was ok. Room was cleaned well every day and plenty of towels and face clothes provided. Our maid was really nice (freda I think) and always had the room cleaned in the morning. We didn't have turn down at all, but didn't need it either. Bar fridge was stocked with beer reguarly but we didn't use daily so I cannot say whether they checked it, we were not in our room at all in the day. We spend a lot of time at the swim up bar and on the beach, didn't go to the other pool as it had most of the kids there, we travelled as an adult only party so didn't really want to be around all the kids. We walked to the village a couple of times and sat and had lunch and a couple of drinks watching the boats come in and out, you get a nice breeze there and great view. It is very safe and yes you do get the locals asking you to look in their shops but a smile and a no thank you is enough, these guys are trying to make a living the best way they know how. The village has a lot of different nationalities living there, we met english dutch canadian as well as locals, all very friendly. Deffinatley worth a visit for a change of scenery. I can say we loved every moment of our time at dreams, a few little niggles, passing off drinks (jack daniels) with lesser brands, even though it was poured from a JD bottle, I know this drink well, also saying they have no bottle beers when they clearly do for some people. Speed of service varies as to who you are, we tipped but that didn't change their speed (which is good as you reward service not buy it). I would say if you are thinking of a visit here, then go, the people are great, the place it beautiful but it is a poor country so don't expect the same standards as richer countries. Great place for a destination wedding on, several spots to have the ceremony, we saw a couple and they looked very nice. If asked would we go back, then yes we would, although we have been to Domincan 8 times now and it may be time to try somewhere different, but who knows?

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank karen p
Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I have traveled and cruised extensively through the Caribbean but really wanted some place different to relax and enjoy a tropical vacation. Since we live in Florida, we have pretty high standards for tropical beauty and tranquil beaches. La Romana was beautiful and tropical but we would probably visit another part of the Dominican if we go back. We stayed at the Dreams Resort and while the vegetation and landscaping was absolutely beautiful and the palm-lined beach pretty, we just didn't ennoy it. We went in late Sept/early Oct. and the water was just not as crystal clear as everyone has bragged about so we just weren't motivated to get in, especially since the beach area wasn't that big. And one day, we went to walk around and I waited for my husband by sitting on a lounger and I was bit up by sand fleas like crazy! After that, we decided to just enjoy the Dreams incredible pool area.
Lying on loungers and just walking a few feet to the bar for a cocktail that was included in the all-inclusive package was just divine for us! We were at the quieter pool without the swim-up bar as the other was quite rowdy most of the time. We had wonderful, friendly bartender service that would make us whatever we wanted. While we weren't interested, they did have activities staff that would come around and try to get pool games going like water polo and volley ball. We watched kids take advantage of an inflatable wall they could climb and jump off of. They had plenty of loungers in the sun and shade.
We were fortunate to have been placed in building with a slider that came out just yards away from the pool bar which was pretty convenient for coming back to the room to use the bathroom and pick out our premium spot for parking our tanning selves for the day. It was wonderfully relaxing and the pool was cool and refreshing and the jacuzzi nice and hot.
So that was an up side.
Down side was that the food was hit or miss. I think the biggest thing was the the buffet was in an open air pavilion and it was just plain HOT in there. You'd sweat buckets just going by the steaming food and would hope you could find a table somewhere with a cross breeze. So, food wasn't terrible...just not outstanding either. We had some incredible cerviche on the Mexican Theme buffet and pretty much lived on omelettes for breakfast every morning since I didn't like anything else. We truly enjoyed the service of the friendly staff at the buffet restaurant however. They are friendly, willing to teach you Spanish words or put up with my Spanglish. :o) Attentive, always filling up your beverages, offering champagne or mimosas at breakfast, etc.One server teased us all the time and one night even brought us their local alcohol called Mama Juana. Supposedly it is an aphrodisiac, but it really tasted like turpentine. The bottle looked like there was bark and vines growing on the inside! :0)...but it was definitely fun to try! We had an excellent dinner at the French Restaurant but the service was extremely slow so dinner took 2 hours and I didn't get things that I had to order. But they were apologetic and responsive to make it right. Our favorite meal was at the Mexican Restaurant. This open-air restaurant is situated in a tree lined area with pretty lights to make a nice romantic setting. A talented mariachi trio came around and serenaded each table and the food and service was excellent.
Another thing we really disliked was their Friday night "pool party". They basically bring all the Dominican Food from the buffet and set up stations around the pool along with round tables and there wasn't any other restaurants open except one I think. It was so crowded and you had weave around so many people with your plate and then had no choice but to sit at a big table with other people you don't know. The food wasn't very good, either tough meat or cold food. My husband and I opted to get our plates and sit outside our first floor room since it was so close which was kind of romantic. I'd brought a fragrant candle from home to keep our room from smelling musty (a tip I picked up here on TripAdvisor), so we had that on our little table outside our sliding door and ate and listened to the music. Once we were done, we even slow danced by candle light to a couple songs. (This is my fondest memory of the vacation).
The room attendants kept the room cleans and gave us the extra towels we needed but could not understand a word of English. We were more miffed about the fact that we rarely received the activities sheet that was supposed to be under our door every night and kept having to go to the front desk to get one. And not to mention it took them FOREVER to clean your room. We tried to schedule a time as the in-the-room info said you could, but they were not responsive to that request. We just decided to be laid back about it and if they were in our room when we didn't want them, we just asked them to leave and come back later.
I think the worst part of the whole trip was that they literally hounded us to listen to their "vacation discount plan". As soon as we arrived and checked in, we were pulled aside to listen to a spiel about the hotel which turned out to be a sales pitch to make an appointment for their vacation discount presentation. We made the appointment for the next day because they were so insistent on us doing it to get a "welcome" present. However, we did not want to interrupt our 2nd day on vacation to watch this "supposed" 50 minute presentation so we did not show up. In addition, the shuttle driver that took us there, wanted to meet with us the next day, too, to "schedule" our departure time for the way home. We didn't show up for that either as we figured out later that all he wanted to do was pitch us excursions during our stay there. Both called us a couple times to reschedule. The vacation discount guy ran into us more than once throughout our stay the first four days trying to get us to book. We got so tired of being pressured that we finally caved. Of course, this was a big mistake because we ended up having to tour the property, get pitched by one person and then a back up. We kept saying no, but they kept coming back with another offer. Finally, almost 4 hours later, we were free! Unless you are interested, DO NOT, under any circumstance, agree to meet with these people. When you first check in--feign a headache or travel fatigue and avoid the lobby if at all possible all week. They lurk there and around the premium buffet times near the entrance to get you to set up an appointment! All we ended up with for our time was 2 t-shirts that do not fit our size and a stupid tote. You could also choose a free massage but after I took the tour of the spa, I was not impressed. It kinda smelled like mildew in that place....And the gym there was really sub-par. They only had one elliptical, a broken stationary bike, 2 treadmills and just a couple floor stations for weight training. There were also some free weights. But if more than 3-4 people are in there, you don't have any choices for cardio and will have to wait. And we went in just before breakfast around 8 am.
All in all, we did have a lovely and fun time but it is not something I would re-book again. As much as I would love to see the wonderful servers at the buffet restaurant again, it wouldn't be my first choice. There are too many other wonderful choices in the Dominican Republic to choose from!

Room Tip: Building 4 was not a Preferred building but it's location was excellent. Short steps to the pool...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Amanda C
Rudy R, Manager at Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2012

Dear Amanda C,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent vacation stay with us. We are pleased to know that you found the resort property quite beautiful, and enjoyed the majority of your time at our main pool area. As the ocean waters are usually of a crystal clear blue, as still as glass, it is possible that you vacationed with us not long after a storm which would account for the changing of color. As we have many guests coming from all parts of the globe, we realize that a variety of cuisines must be offered for all to enjoy. For this reason we do offer seven different a la carte restaurants as well as numerous theme nights within our world Café Main buffet. As we hope you enjoyed our pool party, we do offer many other selections other than Dominican cuisine, such as pasta, chicken, meats, fish, as well as numerous others. As the settings of tables usually seat between ten to twelve persons, this makes for a great opportunity to chat with other guests if interested. Many utilize this opportunity to speak with others about their vacation experience. As we certainly understand there is always room for improvement we will certainly pass along your feedback directly to our Unlimited Vacation Club for review. We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

All the best,

Rudy Richardson
Resident Manager
Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa

Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayahibe
Catalonia Royal La Romana
Melia Caribe Tropical
Be Live Collection Canoa
Be Live Collection Canoa
#12 of 16 in Bayahibe

Been to Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!