“Great all-inclusive resort!”

Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Bayahibe
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 5, 2012

We had a lovely time at the Dreams La Romana Resort in July 2010. One of the best all-inclusive resorts I have been too. There is a lot of choice for restaurants, we went to a different one each night (and our favourites twice!). The inifinity pool is refreshing with a lovely view of the ocean, and the pool bar serves a good selection of drinks. There was plenty to do and I am looking forward to trying another Dreams Resort in the future.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sjnwillis
Write a ReviewReviews (11,581)

Reviewed July 4, 2012

I have recently returned from a stay in this hotel and if this is what Dreams has to offer . I will be giving thier other hotels a wide birth . The one Star I give is for thier Staff . Who were extremely friendly and thier food display and well kept gardens . Barring thier reception staff .
The Deleux Garden Veiw Room that I got isn't one of the rooms that is promoted on thier web page . After paying what I did to get there and getting the room that I got . I was disgusted and when the toilet backed up onto the floor . We got a room change in the same block on the floor above . The House keeping staff did an amazing job keeping an Old building looking good . I was astonished and disgusted to see they had to squeeze dry thier mops with thier bare hands . if Dreams show so little regard for thier staff , what hope do the guests have . I did'nt see one hoover throught my stay and wonder how many times a year the matresses are hoovered if ever .
I commend the chief,s on thier fine display and variety of food and the effort they put into it . It was very well done. Unfortunetly the food did'nt agree with me .
The beach In the water the right side of it as your looking out to sea is the nicest side the left side is full of spring wells near the shore I came close to doing damage to myself after tripping in one and saw several other people doing the same thing . A few warning signs might go well there .The time share was all over the place ,Oh Sorry Vacation Club . We got hassled almost every other day and unfortunetly got caught by them on our first day ,what a waste of a day . They seem to cater to prefered guests . All I can say is Delux Garden Veiw , I am still trying to figure out where the Delux part is. I have a lot of negative things to say about this hotel ,but i am not going to . At the end of the day , its your money and if it suits your budget . Maybe you will have a better experience than I had .

i

Room Tip: Block 5 was told is the Best
11  Thank Walter O
Reviewed July 3, 2012

We just got back from a week trip to Dreams La Romana in June. This trip was booked through Apple Vacations and they catered to us the moment we arrived. Darling (apple rep on site) was wonderful in assisting us with anything that we needed and made reservations for our large group every night. They even set us up on the pier with a candlelight dinner at no extra cost, very lovely.

Rooms were nice and lovely. No issues at all with them, but they definitely have thin walls. Maid service good and always offered something extra. Service- impeccable. People were friendly and entertainment team was wonderful trying to get you involved. My teenagers loved Pablo Picasso-- fun fun man. Beach/pool- Pools were lovely and always kept very clean. Beach- never a problem with getting a lounge chair by the shade or the sun. Water was a little cloudier than I thought it would be, gets clearer the further you go out. We took the excursion to Saona island. Not sure I recommend this one. I love to sail; however, you go out on the catamaran and come back on sail boat. The negative of this excursion was that they served you drinks on the boat and on the island in little dixie size cups, the kind you rinse your mouth out with in the bathroom. They only offered rum and coke and beer, or water. Not my pick on an excursion though. The island was beautiful, but the locals attack you when you get off the catamaran until the next boat arrives with new people. The water was gorgeous there, but difficult to swim because of so many rocks in the water, quite dangerous actually in cutting your foot. The food served on the island was actually my best meal on the trip, sad to say.

The major point of disappointment in our trip was the food. It was really not all that good. I am not a foodie and not hard to please, but I really only had one or two good meals the whole week I was there. The other family that I was with agreed. The buffet was just lack luster, nothing really tasty at all. The restaurants looked wonderful, but were not always on with their meals.

My girlfriend and I went to the spa and got their special a hot stone massage and pedicure for $130. Wow, it was amazing a full 80 minutes of nonstop body massage. We went into the hot tub by the waterfall, was very, very nice and well worth the money spent. Gorgeous facility too.

Overall, it was a lovely vacation and so glad that we went. However, I will not be coming back to this resort just because I always like to try new places.

Room Tip: We stayed in building four, which seemed to be right in the hub of everything so not too far to walk...
Reviewed July 3, 2012

i travel with kids 2 times every year to carribean islands..This was the worst experience for us...kids were so bored...it was not they can do during the day only swim. No entertaiment for kids. few time wanted to go to kids club ...but it was filled with 3-6. kids ages 3-6. No activities for adults only valeball on beach and arobics on beach.
Food discusting....Warm juices on buffet...bugs everywhere ....bees flying on fruits and no one cares....I can write and write....food was as you will it in any cheap restarants owned by low class. discusting and no taste

Room Tip: dont pay extra for family room ...it will not be available when you go there
1  Thank elana a
Reviewed July 3, 2012

Let me start with a bit of background: we are a family of four with two kids ages 7 and 11. My husband and I have been to four different all inclusives but this was our first time with the kids.

Now for the positives: 1) the staff is amazing, friendly and helpful - the ladies in the kids club are energetic and loving. Thomas and the rest of the concierges go out of their way to make each person happy 2)there are tons of activities for kids and adults 3) there are plenty of restaurants to choose from in the evenings 4) the fruit boat is really a handy addition for snacks 5) there are plenty of bars so that the wait for a drink is never too long 6) at least in June, the resort is not very crowded 7) security is discreet, but plentiful. We felt very safe during our stay 8) It is a very clean resort. The staff is always scrubbing, polishing, or painting

And a few negatives: 1) the resort is a bit inconsistent. One night a restaurant would be fabulous and the next time it would just be mediocre. One night the dress code would be strictly enforced, the next it is ignored 2) We had two rooms - one was fine, the other a bit shabby. I never asked for maintenance while we were there but did leave a length list as we were leaving. Nothing major just things like doors that did not close properly or lamps not working and 3) NOISE. We were on the 3rd floor of bldg 5 facing the main pool. Any time there was an outdoor activity at the pool we could hear it. Sometimes these activities would last until midnight. I turned up the fan on the ac to high and even brought my own fan to drown out noise, but we could still hear everything! 4) the kids club is great, but really more focused on the 4-8 yr old kids. Our 11 yr. old was not interested. And there seem to be few organized activities for families. The majority of activities done by the entertainment staff seemed to be for adults. It is easy to make your own fun, but we would have loved a family volleyball game or mini disc game for the family.

Now a few helpful details that I would like to mention: 1) each room comes with an umbrella 2) each room has a DVD player and the concierge desk has a small collection of movies to borrow 3) according to the hotel information in the room, 3rd floor rooms are nonsmoking 4) to have your minibar restocked, place used items above the bar 5) for privacy, use the do not enter sign or bolt the door by turning the doorknob upward 6) the safe is quite big and will easily hold an ipad and pocketbook and papers 7) the room safe can be used with a code or your room key. We used a code and never had any issues 8) according to the hotel, every restaurant except the buffet requires men to wear long pants. In our experience, the two restaurants with ac (Italian and French) were the only ones that required men in long pants. 9) there is a kids menu that is identical for the restaurants. Often there are colored pencils, but you may want to bring along a box of crayons just in case 10) there did not appear to be a dress code for kids.

Overall, it was a fun trip and a great resort for the money!

8  Thank chasnative
Reviewed July 1, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a week long stay at Dreams and had a very nice time. Our goal was just to relax. We chose not to do any of the excursions but just stayed at the resort the whole time, so I can't speak to those. However, the beach and pool areas were very nice and we could always find a chair in the shade on the beach. We did learn that the diving company on the beach (Gri Gri, or something to that effect) offered much cheaper snorkeling excursions ($20 per person) than what Apple vacations offered ($85/per person), but we didn't try any of them.

The beach is very nice with great, clean, white sand. The ocean is very calm and stays shallow for quite a ways out, though there are not a whole lot of fish to see. We took a Kayak out one day, which was easy to arrange and fun.

The resort is very clean and the staff is quite friendly. Tips were included for us since we booked through Apple vacations, so we didn't tip additionally but did not see any difference in how we were treated. Our main disappointment was the food at the resort. The buffet was not very good. They had a large selection, but much of it was not that tasty, even some of the fruit was lack-luster. I would definitely recommend going to the restaurants for dinner. They are much better, though still not anything to write home about. Our favorite was the Bordeaux. We were disappointed that although the resort advertises having a lot of different restaurants to choose from, only 3 or 4 of them are open on any given night. As a result, we only got to go to our favorite one once. We ordered room service 2x, and that was also not too impressive. We ordered breakfast one day about 30 min. before they stopped serving it; it took them about 45 minutes to deliver, and they did not include one of the main dishes. When we called to ask that it be sent along, they wouldn't do it as breakfast was no longer offered.

We liked the cafe drinks, especially the Frozen Bailey's. The bar drinks were so-so. The daiquiris and pina coladas tended to be pretty watery and inconsistent. They also never mixed them really, so you'd have a layer of alcohol followed by all the other stuff on top. Mix 'em before you drink 'em! We preferred to go for Bailey's on the rocks just because we could predict what we'd get! (usually we actually were served "Molly's" which tastes almost the same).

The nightly entertainment was also a bit disappointing, though we liked their circus show. Otherwise the performers try hard, but the dance routines were not too great.

We did not upgrade to the higher level service (can't think of what it's called at the moment), but we feel it wasn't necessary. We never had to use the towel cards several other reviewers mention and always had fresh beach towels in our room anyway, which was great. We even got the yellow towels once that seem to signify higher level membership, but we didn't feel tempted to sneak into the reserved pool or beach area with them, as we liked the main ones better anyway!

We were in building 4 on the ground level and loved the central location. We received notice that they'd be fumigating, but we asked that they skip our room. We did not have any issues with bugs whatsoever. We brought along bug spray but didn't even use it, and I usually get eaten alive. There was one night we each got bitten a couple times, but otherwise no issues at all with mosquitoes, ants, or anything else.

The rooms and resort were always very clean, which was great. The maid service would come by at least 2x per day and in the evening would leave you Hershey Kisses and a gift of some sort. We got a keychain, post cards, a small bottle of rum, and a little ceramic figurine as well. It was a nice surprise!

The transfer from the airport in Punta Cana is long (about 2 hours), though it's interesting to see the country side and how folks live. The vans Apple Vacation provided were comfortable and air conditioned. Check in service was easy, though you do get hounded to attend some sort of sales pitch that we dodged repeatedly. We had no issues at the airport. We arrived about 3 hours before departure and pretty much just breezed through.

2  Thank GadgetGirl_11
Reviewed July 1, 2012

Our previous visits to the Dreams were at busier times of the year & it was very noticeable in the way the hotel was run this time. Unfortunately I have to make a criticism here; because there were so few people at the hotel, many of the restaurants were closed at night. On previous visits, you could expect to have one - possibly two restaurants closed per night but we found that some nights we were limited to the buffet & one or two of the advertised seven restaurants were open. This in turn led to long delays in getting a table & then on two nights we had to wait over an hour between courses in the French & Italian restaurants. I understand that the hotel has to get the balance right but on this occasion I feel that they did not & as a result, regular visitors who have been here several times felt that they were not treated as well as they should have been.

Criticism over!
Praise begins!
The staff as always were fantastic. Our room was always clean & adorned with flowers & towel sculptures. We were in 5209 which was a great location for everything. I didnt get to meet the maid as we were always out when she came but she did a great job & was rewarded appropriately.
The waiting staff were usually attentive - even the breakfast staff were helpfull & were usually there to serve you coffee & keep you topped up.
The bar staff were good- especially around the pool area.
The food was as good as ever but I would like to see the menu changed every so often. We have been a few times to this hotel & although the food is of excellent quality, it does get sort of 'samey' after a couple of visits. My favourite restaurant was the 'Jungle Restaurant', where the food was amazing, the location perfect & the service was friendly & attentive

The entertainment team do a great job although the routines are the same that they were doing years ago. (Time for a rethink?) Pablo Picasso is a natural born entertainer & is a real asset to the hotel.

We only went on a couple of excursions as we have done most of them already.
Saona Island has become a bit disappointing over the past couple of years due to the amount of people trying to sell you things on the beach. From the minute we got off the boat, it was awful. People were very pushy, women were massaging your shoulders without being asked & this went on for about an hour till another boat load arrived. If you can put up with this, the rest of the excursion is very good.
Santo Domingo was a full day excursion & was very interesting until they took us to the obligatory rum & cigar shop for an hour. Despite this, it was still worth a look & a very good lunch was included.

Like I said in the title... it was an overall good experience. It is easy to pick faults but if you go with the right attitude, you will have a great time. Having spent time in other resorts in the area, this one is clearly one of the best by miles.

Room Tip: If you dont want to be bothered by crabs & insects at night, ask for an upstairs room. Its not r...
3  Thank Ianpatterson_2000
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayahibe
Catalonia Royal La Romana
Be Live Collection Canoa
Be Live Collection Canoa
#12 of 16 in Bayahibe
Dreams Punta Cana Resort & Spa

Been to Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!