“Great Watersports at Dreams with GRI GRI Divers”

Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 16 Hotels in Bayahibe
GreenLeadersGold level
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Great Watersports at Dreams with GRI GRI Divers”
Reviewed October 30, 2011

The best thing about the holiday was my experience with Gri Gri Divers. It is not very clear but they run the free watersports for Dreams La Romana - they are fantastically experienced with all things water especially the diving. I got my PADI Scuba Diver last week out there being instructed by Alberto and Andreas who were great. Bayahibe is one of the best places in the Caribbean for dive sites and snorkelling. I snorkelled off the beach at Dream La Romana - lots of marine life. The diving is amazing and the reefs pretty pristine.
Don't listen to the hotel/travel reps who tell you not to book anything with people on the beach (including Gri Gri Divers who run Dreams watersports - very confusing) the reps try to sell you deep sea fishing and snorkelling trips in Punta Cana which is 2 hrs away!! I went with BA Holidays and our rep from Amstar when I asked him about fishing and snorkelling told me blatant lies about there being 'no fishing and snorkelling in Bayahibe and you have to go to Punta Cana' - I was outraged as I did all my research before I booked. The reps are getting commission for all the trips they sell you in Punta Cana. This low level corruption has got to stop otherwise it will take all the business away from Bayahibe. Dominican Republic is a great friendly place and the staff at the hotel were lovely. Food good, Core Zone for my kids fabulous with pool tables and table tennis, Xbox etc. The beach off the hotel was amazing. Sleep quality was terrible - lots of noisy people - first time ever on holiday had to make calls to concierge about noise on 3 nights. Don't be lured in by the letter you will get about being a VIP guest - it is just to sell you upgrade rooms or time share - not quite sure what as I didn't go to the breakfast meeting but they are annoying sales people. As I said the thing that made the holiday was the GRI GRI Divers.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank cambridgeblue19

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,191)
  • Czech first
  • Slovak first
  • Thai first
vancouver
Reviewed October 29, 2011

We were very disappointed with Dreams La Romana having stayed in other Dreams/Secrets properties elsewhere. We are currently half way through a 2 week trip to the DR and thought it would be nice to spend one week on the in La Romana and one in Punta Cana so we didn't get bored. I picked Dreams due to the reviews which were generally good but I should have paid more attention that the positive ones were from first time reviewers who may not have stayed elsewhere.

I had no expectations that it would be a five star, maybe a 4. My choice was based on the remote location and natural surroundings. If anything, I thought it would be laid back. The only thing that made our trip nice was the ocean, snorkelling, wildlife, the people in the Preferred Club (thanks Eddie), and the great day trip we had with Pro Excursions. Here is why we were let down by DLR.

Rooms: Our travel agent booked us in the Preferred Club which is an absolute must if you are even considering going. It is worth the extra money as you get access to a nice quiet haven- bar with good drinks, snacks, and a quiet and CLEAN pool. The only thing we felt was odd was that our room was halfway across the resort and we had to walk through mayhem to get to this area. It was a big room and was pretty clean and well laid out. The shower and tiles needs some TLC but generally it was good- not posh just good. We were on the ground floor and were promised an ocean view which was a tiny sliver of the beach. I will note as other reviewers said that they are on a huge campaign on removing beds from the bedrooms- bed bugs?? Only reason I say this is we had a note on our door one evening noting that they wanted our permission to fumigate our room. I did see lots of dead cockroaches in the hallways. We got to see inside the standard rooms and they were in pretty bad state of disrepair

Pools: The only pool I considered swimming in was the preferred as one evening were were walking by the activity pool- which was a noisy and chaotic place with kids and teenagers gone wild (but they did look like there were having fun) and they had put some toxic cleaner in it which must have congealed all the gunk which formed a large floating black blobs on the surface. It must have been really dirty...it was disgusting. The other pool to the east was pretty busy with the swim up bar and lots of kids so it wasn't very relaxing either.

Food and Drinks: The food was terrible -point blank. Even worse than Cuban resorts. The only thing that was edible was the breakfast buffet which ended very early- no sleeping in allowed. Fruit and veggies, which I love, were either green and under ripe of totally rotten and gamey. The restaurants that we went to were not great- Seaside Grill, Oceana, Mexican. Very average but a little bit better than buffet. I ended up getting an upset stomach which I still have not been able to shake despite being very careful with water for brushing teeth etc. The best meal we had on our trip was a dominican BBQ in Saona as part of Pro Excursion Tours. The cooks just had an old metal barrel and rudimentary tools and it was fantastic and fresh. The drinks were pretty average, flavorless, watered down in all areas except the preferred area.

Spa- The spa was very average to poor. We both had massages which were average but it wasn't a very clean spa nor did any of the pools, steam, sauna really function. The hot tub was very dirty. I put my toe into the tepid water and noticed a huge layer of beige scum on the surface and quickly pulled my foot out. No thanks. We had booked pedicures when we booked our massages for the following day and decided to cancel that evening after our visit as I didn't want to risk dirty spa tools. I am not typically this squeamish and accept I am in a different country with different standards but it was not good.

Service- The service was very poor with exception of the Preferred Area which was good. In general staff were half asleep and really looked liked they could care less or they were overtly passive aggressive with their "welcome home" B.S. It came across so phoney that it made me uncomfortable and felt very used car sales like. I also didn't like the strategically placed tours sales people at every intersection- I expect this off the resort or during the initial "orientation" but 5 times or more a day and the guy cant even recognize my face- enough already! I will say that the housekeeping in our room was good

Well thats enough- save your money even if you are looking for a family holiday there are better places. I know its says best for families which I will give them credit for- they had lots of activities for kids and they looked like they were having a great time. But if you are like us you only get a couple weeks a year to travel- your hard earned money could buy you a nicer vacation elsewhere

Room Tip: Book Preferred Club only if you are considering on going- make sure to ask for a room in this area
2 Thank kikivancouver
england
Reviewed October 27, 2011

Couldn't agree more with you Lissette, I am writing this review from my room at this hotel, myself and my wife have been ill for most of the two week stay. The food is at best mediocre, the so called a la carte restaraunts are laughable, we had the Mexican last night.....Ive had better out of a tin on a camp site.We are going to complain to the rep soon just to make it official as we intend to contact the tour operator as soon as we get back.

Just so people don't think we complain needessly you need to know that we have never ever complained about a holiday in over 27 years travelling. I did canvass the views of various other English couples at the hotel and they confirmed stomach problems and urgently needing the toilet. Something is not right here. Weve travelled all over the Caribbean, Europe and beyond. We have been to Egypt four times and never had a health issue and it aint the cleanest of places believe me.

The hotel has loads of good points but they pale insignificantly when you can't be more than 30 yards from a toilet. Sorry to all who are considering this place.......its up to you.

Room Tip: Block 7 is good
1 Thank greyed
england
Reviewed October 27, 2011

Just returned for 2 weeks at the DLR and where to begin. From start to finish all of the staff made you feel at home from check in when we were welcomed with drinks and "Welcome Home." We ate mostly in the resturants, not because the buffett was poor, it was just nice to be able to order what I wanted, not something that had been sitting there under the lights!

The only staff I had issues with was the VIP sales club, they hasselled and pounced at every opportunity, from breakfast to evening. We evenutally hid under our glasses and they got the message!

The lower rooms can have a particular odor especially after the rain, but the hotel were helpful with finding us an alternative. Rooms well decorated and we eventually settled on a room in block 4 which was perfect for everything!

The entertainment staff do their best to please everyone and always are around to give out their funny money. Particular mention to Alexis at the swim-up bar who will keep you entertained for hours. JC, CocaCola, Freddie, Ariel, Andy and so many more will be sorely missed as they were always there to enjoy your holiday with you. Miss you already!

Do not know where the negative reviews come from, as I can honestly say I could not fault the resort. I am a picky eater, but I always found something to eat and did not have to leave anything because it was awlful not fit for dogs!! If you pick this hotel, you will love it and want to go back like the many repeat guests we saw there.

Enjoy, if you have any questions, then do not hesitate to contact me!

Room Tip: Request a room in block 4 if you want to be near everything. We weren't once bothered by noise a...
1 Thank lisatoon20
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 26, 2011

Ok, I've been to many resorts in Dominican Republic but this was by far the worst of worst. The food is awful! I wouldn't feed my dog most of the food I tried to eat in this place. Yup thats right tried to eat because after one bite I tried not to spit it back out of my mouth. I got back yesterday after spending 5 days at dreams from October 20 to the 24th. Upon arriving we were told we wouldn't be able to check in till 3:00pm it was 12pm,ok fine. So my husband and I went to the World café to have some lunch. We waited till 12:30 for the cafe to open. I got some pasta and my husband got some chicken. The pasta had no taste and the chicken was under cooked. That night we went to the Sea Side Grill. When the food was brought to our table I thought it looked like hosptial food but I was mistaken because even hosptial food tasted better then the food we ordered. The breakfast at the world cafe was the only decent food we ate while staying at dreams but people how much cheese and omelets can a person eat! Oh and let me not forget about the room service food. I ordered a cheesebuger and fried calimari YUCK is all I have to say about that. The Japanese resturant is not even remotely close to being Asian food and it was just as bad as every other resturant I mentioned plus the food was cold. On the plus side the beach was lovely and the staff were friendly and helpful with the exception of those worker who are on you like glue trying to make one go to the members breakfast. Come on now we already paid for this awful food and now they want to see u try to eat it while selling u something.

• Stayed October 2011
7 Thank Lissette108
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 26, 2011

Our first family trip to Dreams La Romana was in October 2008. We had been to other resorts and places in the DR but nothing really made a memorable difference until we visited Dreams.

I think it was the unique and balanced combination of the locale, resort, beach, pools, staff and care that made our first stay there different and inviting enough to want to go back again and again! From the first welcoming minute we were greeted by an extraordinarily warm and efficient staff which genuinely seem to like what they do!

The resort is very clean and well kept and staff members are consistently working to keep it that way - whether sweeping, mopping, trimming trees etc., etc.. Everyone is so very pleasant and eager to accommodate and the occassional language barrier than one may encounter with the cleaning or wait staff is certainly overlooked by their attempt to understand what is being asked of them. A little innovative sign language and more often than not you will get what it is that you are asking for -- accompanied by a big smile at that! The upper staff all communicate well in English as well as several European languages. There are all sorts of activities that both children and adults can participate in which make for fun days... and then there are the trips and excursions that one can take -- at an extra cost.

If I am not mistaken there are seven restaurants for dinner (some open on alternate nights) plus the World Cafe which serves buffet breakfast, lunch and dinner on a daily basis. The food is very good and I think enough variety to satisfy different tastes. And if all you want for lunch is a quick burger, chicken, fixings you can have that right on the beach from the grill or grab a pizza at the stand by the main pool. Fruit is available right on the beach from mid-morning on. The left side of the World Cafe is even open throughtout the night in to the wee morning hours (with obviously a much more limited buffet) for those who want to grab a bite. You must stop for a hot chocolate or delicious cup of coffee at the Coco Cafe where you will also find pastries.

The nightly entertainment shows are very enjoyable and there, also, you can see the amount of care that goes in by the tireless staff which seem to work in various capacities in order to stage them. They put some really entertaining shows but never make guests feel pressured to participate -- just inviting. The casino and disco also open nightly and let;s not forget the bars & swim up bar.

We have made this an annual destination, and time permitting, we will probably make more frequent trips in the future. I think the staff there has really grasped the art of hospitality so combine that with the natural beauty of the area, the absolutely tranquil light blue-green sea, the nice premises and all it offers, and you have the perfect vacation!

I would wholeheartedly recommend this to friends and family, which I have, but please see for yourself! You will truly find the nicest group of people working together at this truly beautiful resort, waiting to make your stay a very pleasant one at a truly beautiful resort! I am very, very happy to have discovered this Caribbean gem and very much look forward to my soon and upcoming vacation there!!!! Surprise yourself and book a vacation at Dreams La Romana -- you will feel a familiar sense from the moment you walk in even if never there before!

G. Georgiou

Room Tip: Because we have a young child with us, I prefer the more central of the seven buildings which compri...
  • Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Gina G
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2011

we have just returned, after are 2nd visit to the dreams la romana hotel. anyone wriring a bad report about the hotel, please tell me where is it you have stayed that is better!!!
We have paid 1200 for this hotel for 2 years running, for 2 weeks all inclusive, and when i say all inclusive whatever you want! champagne too!!
The resaurants are beautiful, ok everyone have different tastes, but there is something for everyone, 8 restaurant no limited visits or bookings needed.
The veiws are amazing, like paradise, just what you want.
the waiters cannot do enough for you, the rooms are cleaned to a fantastic standard. the entertainment team try so very hard, ok this isnt great but they do there very best!
we have been for 2 years and never been hassled by time share reps!!

THIS IS A VERY CHEAP AMAZING HOLIDAY!! weve looked at others since home, but we dont want to be let down so we are going back again!!! xx helen 2011 october ..

Room Tip: block 3 3227, pool veiw infinaty pool xx
3 Thank hbsl33
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayahibe
Casa de Campo Resort & Villas
Ocean Blue & Sand
#13 of 25 in Bavaro
4.0 of 5 bubbles 12,866 reviews
Now Larimar Punta Cana

Been to Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!