“Great Scuba Experience”

Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 16 Hotels in Bayahibe
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 2, 2011

Just wanted to rest and relax so we just did one day of scuba diving at the resort's dive shop (Grigri). It was a wonderful experience! First dive we saw 2 small turtles, medium size octopus (unusual since it was daytime), a couple of sting rays, manta ray, large moray eel, spotted eel, scorpion fish, lobsters hiding unter reefs, lots of juveniles, the usual school of fish etc. etc. Visibility was great! Water did get cold at the end so bringing a wet suit made the dive more comfortable. Second dive was about the same.

We definitely have to go back and really explore the reefs.

4  Thank Mercedes R
Write a ReviewReviews (11,770)

Reviewed June 2, 2011

The Dreams La Romana is indeed a beautiful resort HOWEVER, after day 2, I got bad pains in my stomach and was on the bowl all day and night, can you say diarrhea ??. I was miserable in the room knowing that the 30 people we came with were all out having fun, not to mention that most of the group also got sick.

Food:
I will start off criticizing the quality of food at this place. If you are from NY like I am, then you know what good quality food is. The world cafe had better food compared to the other horrible restaurants, but everything still tasted bland, old and warm (not even hot) which is a breeding ground for bacteria to grow. I found chicken pieces that were completely raw. I got a burger on the beach and it was also RAW. Seriously, do you chefs look at and feel the tenderness of meat before you serve it??. The Asian restaurant was disgusting. We all wound up throwing most of it out.
No-one in our group enjoyed the food. We were all disgusted on how we are forced to eat whatever they give us being that there's no other place to go. After getting sick, I didnt want to take any more chances, so I ate plain white rice and boiled potatoes for 3 days (lunch and dinner), i started to feel better so I decided to take the risk of eating other foods because I was tired of the same white rice/potatoes and sure enough, diarrhea hit me again!.. Well at least I know its the food!

Drinks:
Thankfully we all brought our own bottles of liquor from home because they give you the cheapest of the cheapest liquor. Do you like Dewars? lol, Their cognac tasted like a mix between cheap tequila and rum. Their mixed tropical drinks however were pretty good.

Service:
I can speak Spanish but nobody at this resort can get an order right whether or not I communicated in English or Spanish. They are so unbelievably lazy. After throwing up and pooping all day I asked for Lipton Tea and plain toast, and they come back with black coffee. Other times they messed up on our bkfast/lunch room service orders. Be aware, order your food an hour before you think you'll be hungry because they take FOREVER. At times we had to call up multiple times to remind them about our food.

The Gym:
The gym is a tiny room with ghetto old school equipment. If you want to get a quick workout and stretch its fine, but don't expect anything good.

Nightclub:
We had an amazing time at the nightclub. The DJ has no clue how to mix, but being with almost 30 friends partying was unbelievable. Even though I was miserable and in pain from the food, waiting for the last day to go home to eat REAL food, being with friends took almost all of those negative feelings away. I cant wait to book another vacation with these people, but not 1 of us will ever go back to the Dreams La Romana. EVER!

Tip for the resort:
Serve good food and you'll attract many more customers and many more will return. You just lost what could've been 30 returning customers. NEVER AGAIN! and I hope you people out there take this review into consideration. Like I said, I cant understand how the majority gave this place 5 stars. Spending all of this money to be in a beautiful place eating dog food and getting sick is just not worth it.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
14  Thank 81mv81
Reviewed May 31, 2011

My husband and I were nervous about staying at Dreams after reading the reviews. We have traveled all over the world and we have stayed at wonderful all-inclusive resorts in the past.

Preferred or Not?
We upgraded to the preferred club. I thought it was worth it, but it depends what type of vacation you want. I wanted quiet and solitude. The preferred pool and beach are so much quieter. It is true that the preferred "shore" is rocky, however, it is just a few feet to the sandy shore. Again, I wanted quiet. The bar and the pool area at the preferred pool was peaceful. Also, I liked that we had unlimited access to the computers and internet in the preferred club from 7 AM-11 PM. We had an emergency at home, and the internet access was great. We did not want to mess with bringing our own computers. The bartender in the preferred club was great. They all remembered our names and our favorite drinks.

Garden View Room - Preferred - Building Five
Our view of the pool was spectacular. We were in room 5238. Noise was not a problem. Additionally, the resort is very small compared to the other all-inclusive resorts I have been to. I walked through the rooms that haven't been renovated. I would go with the renovated. When I booked the room, I did not realize it only had a shower. I wished I would have booked a room with a bathtub. There is not conditioner in the shower amenities. The bed was comfortable. I could hear noise out in the halls, but never from the other rooms. It did bother me though that the door did not have a deadbolt.

Seaside Grill
We are both foodies. The first night, we ate at Seaside Grill. Our steaks were perfectly cooked and seasoned. We did not understand the complaints. Unfortunately, of the five nights we were there, Seaside Grill was only open one evening. It was good for lunch. The waitstaff and hostess staff were outstanding.

Oceana
We were excited to eat here. However, they seated us underneath a bright light and the hostess seemed in a bad mood upon seating us (the only person like this we encountered). There was a large bug on my plate, and the hostess just flicked it off. When they poured my husband's water, a bug flew from the light into the water. The waiter laughed and went to get another glass. But, we were swarmed by bugs because of the light. We both hate conflict, but, the idea of bugs swarming us was uncomfortable. So, we politely explained that the bugs were unpleasant and we left. Literally, we hate conflict. So, we apologized profusely to the hostess. But, when she rolled her eyes, I was not appreciative.

World Cafe
The Breakfast at World Cafe was always good. I did not enjoy dinner options here.

We had good and a few mediocre experiences at the a la carte restaurants. However, one of us always ordered a good meal, so we just split it. We never went hungry. Overall, the food is the area to improve.

CoCo Cafe
I loved the coffee and cookies here. It was the highlight.

Overall, we agreed we would go back to Dreams because the staff were so WONDERFUL and friendly. It is the best service we have ever had.

The drinks were great (especially the Pina Coladas). They did have Coronas.

My biggest complaint was about some of my fellow tourists. Some were so rude to the staff. The staff speak English (I don't understand the complaints), but, they seemed to love it when we attempted to speak some Spanish. I am amazed at all of the languages they speak.

For the price, it was a good choice. We have paid $3000 more for a resort in Playa del Carmen. It was not $3,000 nicer.

Also, bring money to tip. The staff deserve an extra thank you.

11  Thank mandyandbryson
Reviewed May 31, 2011

The first thing I want to point out is that our rooms and the resort overall was kept IMMACULATELY clean. We don't have a lot to compare to in terms of all-inclusive vacations as this was our first one, but we definitely had the most relaxing "beach vacation" that we were looking forward to. The Dreams staff were all super nice, extremely helpful and the place truly was all inclusive. We sipped champagne and had fruity drinks during the day, chilled and had beer, wine and mixed drinks at night without ever worrying about if it was included or not. There's a beach bar (as well as lounge-chair waiters), a swim up bar, several excellent-presentation restaurants, a fabulous entertainment team, room service + almost-always-open buffet, and pretty much everything you'd ever need in the resort. Honestly, we participated in a very limited way in all of the activities, but they had a LOT going on and it was all so fun and chill. I truly have very few negative comments. The one thing was that the food wasn't anything spectacular. The meals were gorgeously presented at dinners, but the flavors weren't all that and it was for sure a bit bland. However, I felt everything was pretty fresh and nicely done.

2  Thank Laneyfly
Reviewed May 31, 2011

Spent 4 days/nights in the property (Memorial Day Weekend) with my wife, 5yr. old and here's the lowdown:

We opted for the preferred "partial ocean view. Plenty of room for us, in a modern and very clean room featuring Ipod dock, LCD TV and in room DVD player. fridge was stocked w/beer, soda and waters and promptly replenished daily. View was fine and balcony adequate. Shower was stocked w/toiletries (even toothpaste/toothbrush was provided, which we found pretty neat and unusual. All pools and Grounds are well kept and clean. Beach area kept clean, but good snorkeling can only be found much further out on your own, to the right of the dock, or in an excursion. Otherwise the water can be a bit cloudy and sea grass can sneak up on you underwater. Didn't bother me much, but if your not used to it, may freak you out.
The Staff is generally AMAZING. Friendly faces greet you everywhere, no demand is refused and every "thank you" on your part will be replied w/a "it's a pleasure" from their end. Restaurant staff just as willing to please, tips where NEVER expected but if you did tip (we did every so often) it was more than apreciated. Food selection at the buffet was varied, fresh, plentiful and best of all, the local dishes were Authentic!!! I'm a conscientious eater and had no problems at all finding a medley of delicious healthy dishes each and every day, and for every meal :) Didn't NOT LIKE THE ASIAN place... My fault... Why would I go to the DR to eat Asian cuisine is beyond me.... Should have stuck to the perfectly fresh, tasty and diverse buffet!!
Walked to Bayahibe (walk to the left for 10 minutes along the beach, and there you are :), and experienced some local life in the streets and pretty good foto ops. in a friendly and safe environment.
Preferred pool was small, but quiet. Preferred bar, was great, preferred lounge and computers came in handy as did the coffee joint around the corner. Gym was crude but adequate. Massage was average and spa experience just OK.
Lets see..... what else.... Oh, fly into "La Romana Airport" and use DAT (Dominican Airport Transfers) if you want a no hassle, AC prompt/professional pick up/drop off... All in all, the resort was def. in the "Above Average" cat. and if I were looking for a relatively affordable, quiet get away, where everything is just a request away, I would consider going back again...

Room Tip: Go Preferred
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank SayafK
Reviewed May 31, 2011

I am thrilled to share this review with everyone, i highly recommend this resort, i celebrated my 25th birthday in Paradise. Not only was the resort beautiful, always clean & well decorated..The service was exceptional, beyond words..the staff was always friendly, well mannered and always willing to help...I made some great friends, Look for Picasso he is very respectful & smart. My friend Gary was always smiling & did very good Yoga...My friend caramelo was very funny & charming. The food is delicious, a variety of different delicious selections... I LOVE this resort...PLEASE GO ...you wont regret it ....= ) xoxoxxo

Room Tip: If your traveling with friends, connect rooms
  • Stayed: May 2011
1  Thank chernandez515
Reviewed May 30, 2011

Just arrived back from 2 weeks at Dreams La Romana with 30 of our our friends and family who joined us for our wedding out there. This resort is amazing.....I have no idea how anyone could complain.....For HarveyDog 22 who commented on mancunians I think you were just jealous of the fun we had and would recommend you try a secrets resort next time which is adults only rather than post such comments about children when this is a family resort. Back to the review.....This resort is immaculate and beautiful the cleaners do a fantastic job of maintaining the resort. In terms of rooms, ours were all great we were in blocks 5&7 which are newly refurbished, the beds are really comfortable and you have an optional pillow menu!
Real perks of this resort are...no wrist bands.....24/7 all inclusive room service and the ability to eat at the a la carte restaurants when you like and as many times as you like, you receive a newsletter in your room each day telling you which ones are open, if they don't have a table for you they'll give you a pager and you can enjoy one of the gorgeous cocktails at the bar.
High five to Picasso, Kati, Garry and the rest of the entertainment team who were amazing....we are still doing the La Colita now!
As for our wedding....it was the most perfect day and one we will never forget! Yanna our wedding co ordinator was great and everything went according to plan. We had the ultimate package which was the best you could have and it was worth it, be careful as you can incur additional costs when you get there especially as they don't tell you your photo package doesn't include ones of just the bride and groom so we bought an additional package in the end....barter with the guys at the photo booth though otherwise you'll be ripped off. Our wedding DVD is brilliant and its lovely to have those memories captured to be able to watch again and again. Our private lobster dinner on the pier was to die for too along with our room being dressed beautifully on our wedding night and the champagne breakfast the morning after was a lovely treat.
So in summary an out of this world holiday, beautiful resort, pools, gardens and beaches included, so much fun, loved Tyne food especially the French, Italian and Pan Asian restaurants. Would I go back.....absolutely. We are already thinking of trying Dreams Mexico next year......
Give Dreams a try and ignore any negative reviews....any questions about the resort or any future brides considering it, please feel free to get in touch......From A Happy Dreams La Romana Bride!

Room Tip: Request newly refurbished blocks
10  Thank laurakate85
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bayahibe
Catalonia Royal La Romana
3 mi away
Be Live Collection Canoa
Be Live Collection Canoa
#12 of 16 in Bayahibe

Been to Dreams La Romana Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!