“FAB - U - LOUS!!!!!”

Ranked #1 of 10 Hotels in Ouranoupolis
Newcastle, England
“FAB - U - LOUS!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2009

We booked a late holiday to this hotel and were intially a bit concerned about some of the negative reviews but shouldnt have been. It exceeded our expectations many times over and was one of the best holidays we have ever had. The staff were wonderful - they couldnt have done more for us to make our holiday enjoyable. We were offered a welcome glass of sparkling wine on arrival, personally shown to our room - which was delightful. Our balcony had a stunning sea view and was enormous!
We had complementary half board as part of our package and even though there were other restaurants we chose to eat in the buffet as the quality of the food we felt was excellent. The restaurant staff were all wonderful and also had a 'nothing is too much trouble' attitude. Yes wine was expensive but dont most people buy duty free and have drinks in the room? We certainly did!
The private beach is stunning with luxury sunbeds and as we were in the penultimate week of the season we had a large section of the beach to ourselves and often the whole swimming pool.
Ouranopolis is a 10 minute bus ride away and a lovely village. We went there twice and the hotel were on call ready to pick us up whenever we were ready.
I have read the negative reviews carefully and I think that if you were wanting a quiet retreat for a honeymoon then peak season is not the time to go here. It is a family hotel
and children on holiday do tend to be noisy! We found no favouritsm towards any nationality - the staff have a good working knowledge of many languages and everyone seemed to be welcomed equally.
All in all we were very sad to leave this heaven on earth and would very much like to return some day.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
South London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2009

Lovely hotel in wonderful setting,great beach good service, nice sea view room, food is ok and is in buffet unless you pay to eat in the other restaurants. Drinks very expensive gin and tonic 12 euros, table wine starts at 25 euros and tasts like cheap plonk, bought a bottle in the local town for 5 euros and it tasted much better than any we had in the hotel, can't understand their policy as most people drank water only with their meals and then went up to their rooms after dinner to have a drink and so the bar was always empty which does not make for a very good atmosphere .

If you don't like wine with dinner you will be ok but if you do bring some with you as the nearest town is a few miles away and although the bus goes there in the day it stops early in the evening and there is only 1 taxi in the town and it can be hard to get hold of.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
malaga
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2009

searching on the tripadvisor and reading all reviews of Halkidiki we decided to book the Eagles .The hotel is just like the photos.is marvellous.exceptional building with outstanding beach,very clean and so well organized.
The room had sea view and it was so calm,so beautiful and very clean.Everyday i woke up very early to catch the sun rising and then i had a breakfast on morning buffet.my husband usually wakes up later and i was still for breakfast enjoying everything.the buffet had everything and very fresh.the staff was friendly and polite,and multilingual.i appreciated it a lot.
during the days we were on the beach,hotel's private,with free umbrellas and crystal clear waters.it had also a swimming pool with salted water but we prefered the greek seas.
the nights we had our dinner inside the hotel,most of the times,because it has 5 rests!so every night it was different.
We rent a car that the reception helped and we had a tour on the area.Amazing places.We stayed for 8 days and we never got bored.Ideal vacations after an intense year of working,definetely next time we will visit and the islands too.

1 Thank lunamor75
Athens
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2009

During August we stayed for 10 days in the hotel.It was excellent.A hotel out of fantasy,so delicate,so fine decorated.The rooms clean and comfortable,fine colours,and full bath kit and all the facilities.
The breakfast so rich,everything we wanted we had.
the beach of the hotel amazing,clean and crystal clear waters,one day we had an excursion to the little island of Amouliani.
The nights we enjoyed a cocktail by the pool with smart enlighting.
A morning I tryed the spa and that was it.After the sea I had a treatment and although was out of our budget,it worths it!
I reccomend the hotel if you are fond of luxury vacations.

Birmingham
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2009

Some great points, but not 5 stars.

The hotel is one of the best I have stayed in Greece (if not the best), but in some areas it has a long way to go before it can calls itself “a 5 star hotel”. The food quality and service is short of what I expected given the price.
I stayed for one week with my fiancé in a Junior Suite, the hotel is 1 hour 30 minute drive from the airport. The Air conditioned room was clean and the sea view was fantastic, the room had a CD player (nice touch but I don’t take a CD collection on holiday) nice sofa, TV, seats on the balcony, en suite bathroom with lots of fresh towels, large area for clothes to be hung up and suitcases stored. There was a Minibar and a “Nespresso” machine, but at €4 per espresso, a tad expensive given they cost about €0.35 each when I buy them myself at home. The mini bar has an equally imaginative pricing policy, €8 for a spirit miniature, €3.50 for a small bottle of water (€0.50 in shops), I could go on. I know hotel pricing is usually somewhat out of touch with reality, but even buying water downstairs at the hotel bar itself was a bit cheaper. One small detail I didn’t like was the en suite door was made of frosted glass with a half inch gap all round the edge (with no lock), that means when you take a wiz, everyone in the main room can hear you (so be prepared for lot’s of whistling!!).
It takes only moment to leave the hotel and be on the private beach (sunbeds free of course) and a waiter service will bring you anything from the bar while you relax on the beach (don’t worry about cash, everything is charged to your room). The majority of customers are more mature couples and only a few family’s had children around when we were there, so the beach was always peaceful and quiet for the whole time we were there , the same could be said of the pool, also with its own bar. Some distance from the next hotel so the only people you will see are also staying in the hotel. Given the price of staying here, I didn’t worry about my watch being stolen while I went for a swim, (Why would they? They already have nice watches) and the water was calm and refreshing to swim in, (if a bit chilly in September).
So where did it go wrong? Well, we paid the €30 half board supplement and expected Breakfast and an evening meal at one of the 4 restaurants. However what it really means is that you get the free breakfast buffet and a free evening meal at one other specific restaurant, which is the buffet again, and it is not a great one at that. They have cut corners on the quality of the food, each day chefs will cook large amounts of meat, beef veal, and even some fish all on the same hot plate. Therefore, instead of tasting good, the flavours all get mixed up on the hot plate. There is a lot of meat, so the cuts are usually quite cheap or fatty. Anything cooked but not served on Monday will be mixed into a casserole or some other meal and served in the Tuesday buffet, a practise all too obvious in the tasting. Not what I would expect for €30 per person, just for food. The saving grace was the salad and fruit bar, which had enough to make some decent Greek salads to keep me happy. Service was a mixed bag, several waitresses looked after us at each meal, none seemed pleased to be there or capable of smiling, but they were happy to chase me down a corridor thinking I had left without paying the bill (she didn’t realise I was a half board guest). I didn’t think you could get bad service in a buffet, I am getting the food myself after all, but they did manage it.
However, if I wanted to, I could exchange my €30 half board supplement and get a €15 discount off my bill at 1 (and only 1) other restaurant, where the set price is €45 per person (just food remember). The food here is good, but no better than any regular Greek tavern that will do the same dishes for half the price. Everyone seemed to know this and that meant the restaurants were almost always empty in favour of the cheaper buffet.
Bars were also dotted around the hotel and on two nights there were even musicians there to entertain the guests of an evening. Expect to pay at least €12 for a cocktail and just under €6 for a large draft beer. Wine starts at roughly €25 per bottle, but that is the table wine.
Apart from spending time by the pool or on the beach, there is not much to do in the area, there are some water sports activates (not cheap), a couple of boat tours from Ouranopolis sail past the many monasteries on mount Athos, but tourist are not allowed in, so by the end of the week, we were getting bored. This is not a holiday destination for the fun seeker or someone who wants to sample the Greek culture, but if you can stomach the food (or the cost of the good food) then this is a great place to relax in the sun.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
prague
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2009

I was in this hotel with my 2 years old son, my 16 years old niece for 10 day. My husband came to hotel for couple of days. We had junior suite sea view a one double room when came my husband. Suite was a little small and view was from side hotel. Only sometimes we got water and towels for 3 person. When my husband come for first weekend at 2 am, we want one double room more, they showed to as horible small room for two downstair, where something murmored, this room look like room in some 2 stars hotel. But ok, hotels location was good, there was quite and sea was wonderful, very clean and very good for little child. When you want to go somewhere in the evening, you can go by hotels bus, it go to ouranoupolis 2 times for evening or have a car. The best place near the hotel is only ouranoupolis, its good for dinner. But its very small port and you pass it about 10 minutes and what after , when you are for 10 days? Also you can make trip to isla Ammouliani - there are good beaches and hoter and calmer sea then in Moutn Athos. But back to hotel: Worst was staff in hotel. They were arrogant, ugly, realy nasty. Third night they call to as from reception, because our son was crying for some minutes, realy not 1 hours or something like that. And they said to we do something with it and 2 days later when i was in lobby, one women from reception stop me and said me it again. Every time when we went to dinner to main restaurant or to breakfast to same restaurant, it was very bad time for as. when we want coffe or tea ,nobody came. But when we didnt want anything - all time for dinner somebody stood next as and look or took as full plate 5 minutes after we brought it. IAnybody wasnt simpatic or nice person in this hotel. Maybe only staff from poland , only they were profesional and nice. Actually one of them said as, that this is no 5 star hotel for him/her and that greek staff want only greek guests and another guests only tolerating there. it looked like that! It was first what i chose hotel from www.slh.com (small luxury hotel) and It was last time, because if eagles palace hotel is small and luxury hotel and dont want try another hotel from this site. Never go to this hotel, realy hotel is not beautiful, small or luxury and it very rich. we paid more than 6000 eur.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
5 Thank lucia85
Bristol, UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2009

This hotel is superb. Not only does it have a variety of elements to it, what is delivered is world class. We booked for bed and breakfast and the hotel gave us half board as a gift!
We spent a week here relaxing in the spa having massage and facials, relaxing in the jacuzzi and heated bed. It is truly spectacular. The best bit of the hotel is the beach and the food. There are high quality beds there everyday and a button on your wooden umbrella to call a waiter....
Europe is very expensive at the moment (against the pound) and so you will pay a lot for drinks.
The people are exceptionally friendly and you are well looked after. The cheapest rooms are small - a small balcony, reasonable bathroom and bedroom, but to be honest there are four restaurants, endless seated bars and a long beach full of the aegaen sea to sit in and so this did not bother us. I read lots of reviews of this and was anxious that it wouldn't meet my expectations, but we were very pleased. We are also a gay couple and you can often experience prejudice - this hotel were exceptional in welcoming us.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ouranoupolis
Acrotel Athena Pallas Village
#2 of 10 in Nikiti
Ekies All Senses Resort
Ekies All Senses Resort
#1 of 4 in Vourvourou

Been to Eagles Palace? Share your experiences!