“A great hotel with something for everyone”
Review of Portes Beach Hotel

Portes Beach Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Nea Potidea
London, United Kingdom
“A great hotel with something for everyone”
Reviewed May 10, 2014

We spent a week at this hotel with Saga and had a wonderful time. It was all inclusive which I would recommend as one doesn't need much spending money. The staff are all friendly and went out of their way to assist. The dining room staff were efficient at clearing things away, always had a friendly word and the variety of food was very good. We tried the local Halkidiki olives one evening as starters recommended by the staff and they were very nice. There is an excellent choice of drinks (excellent choice of teas) and the barman is very friendly along with the animation staff who provide some good entertainment for all ages.

Our room was spacious and overlooked the lovely gardens and view of the sea. Everything was very clean everywhere in the hotel. There was a kettle and a fridge in the room which was useful. There is also a mosquito door which again is useful. We used the swimming pool but did not swim in the sea as there are quite a few stones on the beach.

If you are keen on birdwatching cross over the road (do be careful as this is a very busy road!) and take the path past some holiday villas. This leads to a salt lake where there are a lot of birds. We saw flamingos and stilts among others. Also if you go down to the beach at the hotel walk along the beach to the right and again there is a pool with lots of birds, stilts, egrets etc depending on time of year.

If you enjoy walking we recommend taking the hotel bus into Nea Potidea and walking down one side of the canal (it is a lovely turquoise colour with lots of fish) walk over the bridge and down the other side of the canal following the path back along the path and beach to the hotel.

Be careful if you go into Nea Moudania on the local bus on a Sunday as the timetable is not necessarily the same as the one in reception. We had aimed to get the 1 p.m. bus back but found there wasn't one until 2 so got a taxi instead but this was a reasonable price.

There is a shop in the hotel which sells most everyday basics and souvenirs etc. It closes in the afternoon so beware closing times in this area! There are shops in Nea Moudania.

Room Tip: We were in the main part of the hotel but some are in annexes overlooking the gardens so you would h...
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Bertie65

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Serbian first
Reviewed January 20, 2014

I travelled to Portes Beach Hotel with my boyfriend (20 years old) and we were on an all inclusive package. I advise that if you are not there with a car - you have an all inclusive package considering the fact that there aren't any places close enough to walk to and eat there for example. First of all, when we checked - in it was way too early so our room wasn't ready; however, breakfast wasn't over yet and they told us that we could have some if we wanted to. We went straight to the beach and it was beautiful. The only negative thing about our trip other than the fact that it was isolated was that the beach had many little stones that really hurt your feet. I knew that in advance so I had swimming shoes, so it wasn't a problem.

The food was great with variety and the rooms were clean and big. Before we went though, I made sure I emailed the hotel at least twice to make sure that we get a renovated room and until I got there I was still sceptic about it all. Maybe because of the pressure I put on them, we got a room with a sea view room (1 of 4) which was the closest to the beach but far away from the dinner restaurant.

I strongly advise that if you have a car you go to Kallithea which is down the road from Portes Beach. The little village has many bars, restaurants, souvenir shops and so on...

Positive surprise - OK value... Water is fantastic,view during sunset is great as well!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
13 Thank Monica S
Serbia
Reviewed January 9, 2014

I absolutely agree with Djole 66, his review is as mine would be.Everything I wanted to say he allready did.
So, if you waht family hotel with really friendly stuff, large area for kids and beautiful sea, this is a place for u!
This year, we are going again!

Room Tip: you have to choose renovated room
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank jelena0403
Belgrade, Serbia
Reviewed August 10, 2013

First of all, this is well managed hotel. Top down, bottom up…From my point of a view people working there do they best in order to make one feels well in Portes Beach.

The food is 5 star hotel food, with a lot of diversity. Even my very picky kid found something to eat there every day... Sometimes I had to remind myself not to eat too much in order not to gain few kilos while on a holiday. My entire compliment to the chef.

There was a team of animators that did a great job and took care for guests not to be bored in this isolated hotel… They were not pushy like in some other hotels. All activities started from 10 am yoga, than water gym, water polo, volleyball, table tennis, salsa etc. There was some kind of Games without frontiers once a week that was quite a fun…

On the down side, there was an issue with umbrellas and sunbeds; there were not enough of those on the anyhow small beach. I think it was mainly due to people leaving their towels early in the morning and coming to the beach later. The last day we were there they put the warning sign that they would move towels people leave on sunbeds as some kind of reservation.
The beach is small but I didn’t find huge stones some reviews mentioned, maybe those were on the other side of the beach. For a few days sea was very clean, but after one stormy night the water was not that clean any more.

For people coming with cars, it is an issue with very few parking places. So, one parks car wherever he can. I did the same and got hit by a bus, but everything was settled with a little help from hotel management. The road is very busy since it is the only way to get to Cassandra. In front of the Hotel there are two lines and it is very dangerous to turn left there, the option is to drive few km than make U-turn.

As a conclusion, it is the good hotel for families with kids. People there did the best they could with objective limitations (small beach, decent rooms, isolated place etc.). I respect that…

Room Tip: The rooms in basement that are surrendered by green are full of mosquitos... Go up...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
10 Thank Djole66
Chisinau
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We spent for the first time our hollyday in Greece 22.06.2013-02.07.2013. It was a wonderfull expirience. Many thanks to: Ellada our tour agent, Adriana and animation group Bomba (they did a great job every day and evening at the pool bar).

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Boris C
Belgrade
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Just got back from Portes Beach. Stayed for 12 days, all inclusive, with my husband and a 2-year old. This hotel was recommended to us by our agent as a peaceful, family place to enjoy & relax, which was partly true- most guests are families with small kids and elderly British people.
Things that I found satisfying about the hotel:
1. Pleasant, English speaking staff
2. Good animation (two pleasant Russian girls entertaining kids in the park twice a day for 2,5 hours + a kids' disco at 8.45 p.m with multilingual approach + two Serbian guys doing sport-related activities)
3. Tasty food- decent choice, lots of fish, salads, deserts.
4. Wonderful gardens, well-kept
5. Park for kids- although small, it does have natural shade in the afternoon and an inside play area you can use 10-12.30 and 3-5.30
6. Sea- clean, warm (mid June), easy to swim in, small waves only, some sea grass. Downside: entering the water is tricky since there are lots of huge stones on the shore and up to 5m in

Here are a few down-sides:
1. The hotel is not a 4-star hotel. It is decent, but half of the rooms have not been renovated, so if you get one of them you are likely to be staying in a dark, damp room. When I was packing my stuff to go back home, my clothes smelled and felt half-wet. Bathroom was in horrible condition (again, this is true for NOT renovated rooms). There is no isolation in the rooms, so you depend on the curtsey of your neighbors. For us, staying on the ground floor, afternoon naps with the kid were challenging, because of the constant noise coming from upstairs.
2. Impossible to keep mosquitoes out, since the protection placed on the doors is run down and full of halls. Some of the rooms- e.g. room 217 in which I stayed- do not have a window (just a door, which you use to get in and out of the room) so for people with claustrophobia issues it might be very problematic.
3.Restaurant area is too small for the hotel's capacity. It is always too crowded and too noisy.
4. The pool is way too small, kids' part is a size of two bigger bath-tubs placed together!
5. The beach is also VERY small, packed with sunbeds. When we arrived- beginning of June- it was still enjoyable, but by 06/ 10, it became too crowded. People reserve sunbeds early in the morning by placing towels on them. After 10 a.m.- impossible to find a free subbed. No natural shade on the beach, just fixed sun-umbrellas.
6. Important for families still using strollers- there are 4 wooden steps to go to the beach!

The biggest problem for me was that the hotel is totally isolated, located on a busy road (but no traffic heard in the hotel, since the rooms are in the big garden). There is nowhere to walk at night, for example, no path next to the sea, no side-walk on that busy road leading to hotel. So, be prepared to stay within the hotel area for the whole duration of your stay, unless you want to rent a car. Poor public transportation.

All in all, decent hotel with a lot of serious short comings.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
14 Thank BojanaBD
London, England
Reviewed May 30, 2013

We went on a Saga holiday (for over 50's in UK) and it was anything but the peaceful location we had anticipated. The hotel is very large and noisy at night. The staff are excellent and always try their best to help you. However the hotel has some shortcomings, for example, unless you are in the main building guests have to walk through the smoking area to get to the restaurant which is very unpleasant for those who hate the smell.

I like and have a hard bed but these beds are solid. The rooms have no sea views and no real outlook but the block in front, although the gardens around the blocks are lovely and well tended. The nearest villages are 15 minutes drive away and only served once every other day by the free shuttle bus which you must book in advance. The Wednesday market is well worth a visit.

The walls are very thin and one night we were kept awake by the person in the room next to us snoring and another by a violent argument in the room above! People shout and slam doors all night without any concern about others and make a lot of noise as they drag their cases along the paths at night.

Our room was kept impeccably clean and the staff were outstanding, all went out of their way to help. One day when I was feeling ill, the housekeeping ladies were very concerned and they asked me in perfect English every day after that how I was.

The food is plentiful but mass catering of course. The taverna lunches are very pleasant though, with views of the pool and the beach.

The best part of the holiday for me was having the chance to experience scuba diving in the hotel pool. You can do this every weekday on Monday, Wednesday and Friday mornings at 11.30am. Just ask the Animation guys in the yellow tee shirts and they will arrange it for you. I enjoyed it so much, I went on to have a proper scuba diving lesson at the Blue Diving Centre, nearby. They were excellent and very reasonably priced and I would recommend anyone to have a go, especially if you are like me and had never dared try it before. The beautiful blue warm sea and the purple Greek hills in the background make it a magical experience!

From the hotel, if you cross the main road and go down the path opposite, turn right and then left, you get to an amazing beach that goes on for miles in both directions.

Lovely place, wonderful staff, but very busy and noisy.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the sea have the sun in the afternoons
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Acrotel Athena Pallas Village
Sani Beach
Sani Beach
#4 of 6 in Sani

Been to Portes Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!